Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 12:36   #4486
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Massive pothole on the Sanpada station overbridge (Towards Mumbai side, middle lane on Mumbai-Pune highway). At least 10-12 cars (4-5 happened in front of me) affected with punctures/rim bend & unfortunately mine was the only motorcycle & worst affected, rear alloy cracked! Speed was around 60-70kmph.
How on earth does the rear alloy crack and the front wheel escapes unscathed?
Old 24th June 2015, 18:29   #4487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
How on earth does the rear alloy crack and the front wheel escapes unscathed?
The front end being light, glides over the pothole, but since the rear wheel has the maximum weight on it and the the hit it takes on the edge of the pothole, the alloys crack.

This was reported in the forum with the 2013 and till late 2014 Dukes. Even my Duke has gone through it but albeit at a bent rim only. Now it is the turn of the Benellis.
Old 24th June 2015, 20:11   #4488
BHPian

Dropped my 390 yesterday while trying to park the bike on a slope. It was a minor fall but the right side foot peg broke on the impact. No other damage to the bike. Rode back without a foot peg. Swapped the pegs from rear to front as a temporary solution. It was a struggle without proper tools because i left them back in trichur.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150624_082210.jpg

Are there any better options available to replace the stock foot pegs? These things looks very badly made.
Old 24th June 2015, 20:15   #4489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post

These things looks very badly made.
I think they are not badly made, they are designed in a way to take the brunt of the impact and hence it broke.

you can find aftermarket foot pegs on ebay.com but most of them are above $40 and am pretty sure if you get the OEM one from ASC it will be way cheaper.
munchy_cool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 20:28   #4490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
I think they are not badly made, they are designed in a way to take the brunt of the impact and hence it broke.

you can find aftermarket foot pegs on ebay.com but most of them are above $40 and am pretty sure if you get the OEM one from ASC it will be way cheaper.
I know it is cheaper replacing a less expensive part. Because it keeps the ownership costs very low. But the impact was very low to even bend it. It's too brittle i felt. You can ride with a bent foot peg. But not with a completely broken one. This happened at 12 pm and it was not the most pleasant experience riding back with one foot in the air and no rear brake. I love KTM and i don't mind the cost cutting involved btw
Old 24th June 2015, 21:38   #4491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know it is cheaper replacing a less expensive part. Because it keeps the ownership costs very low. But the impact was very low to even bend it. It's too brittle i felt. You can ride with a bent foot peg. But not with a completely broken one. This happened at 12 pm and it was not the most pleasant experience riding back with one foot in the air and no rear brake. I love KTM and i don't mind the cost cutting involved btw
Why not carry a spare mate? Should fit under the seat (idea courtesy - Ebonho)
Old 24th June 2015, 21:39   #4492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
I am afraid not. These are supposed to bend under impact to absorb the impact and not break into pieces. A sample of cost cutting or bad engineering.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 21:42   #4493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
I am afraid not. These are supposed to bend under impact to absorb the impact and not break into pieces. A sample of cost cutting or bad engineering.
Thanks for correcting me bro
Old 24th June 2015, 21:49   #4494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Why not carry a spare mate? Should fit under the seat (idea courtesy - Ebonho)

That's a nice idea. But i should also carry the tools required. A decent quality foot rest from another oem which fits our 390 will be better if it just bends as dropping the bike won't be happening frequently. Due to the extremely inadequate space under the seat I'll be needing a decent bag to carry those spares and tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
The casting looks really bad with a lot of pores. That's why it just breaks into pieces.
Old 24th June 2015, 21:53   #4495
BHPian

Quote:
The casting looks really bad with a lot of pores. That's why it just breaks into pieces.
So if this is same for all the pieces then this is a major engineering mishap. If it is only with this one then QC is to be questioned. You should send some pictures to the KTM people uphill in my opinion. This could have been dangerous if it happened while moving. A broken foot/ankle was probably guarenteed.
Old 24th June 2015, 22:12   #4496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a nice idea. But i should also carry the tools required
Is the standard tool kit not sufficient? I would assume no more than a singular spanner should be able to do the job. No offence meant to you mate but you may be looking for a very complex (and probably expensive) solution to a relatively simple problem

Please do correct me if I am wrong. I have never tried taking off / fitting the 390's foot pegs
Old 24th June 2015, 22:26   #4497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Is the standard tool kit not sufficient? I would assume no more than a singular spanner should be able to do the job. No offence meant to you mate but you may be looking for a very complex (and probably expensive) solution to a relatively simple problem

Please do correct me if I am wrong. I have never tried taking off / fitting the 390's foot pegs
No its not a spanner job mate. And standard toolkit is pretty useless. You'll need a set of pliers to remove the lock clip and maybe a small mallet or something to push it out as it is pretty tight. I'm speaking purely from my experience. I have no idea how the pros does it. There could be an easy way.
I found under seat storage good for only the tool kit that came with the bike and copies of bike's documents
Old 24th June 2015, 23:38   #4498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dropped my 390 yesterday while trying to park the bike on a slope. It was a minor fall but the right side foot peg broke on the impact. No other damage to the bike.
Pardon if I sound stupid, but what is the engine guard there for? Just to protect the engine? Does it not save the foot-peg too?
Old 25th June 2015, 03:10   #4499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon if I sound stupid, but what is the engine guard there for? Just to protect the engine? Does it not save the foot-peg too?
Unless you decide to mount the bullet style butterfly guard i dont see the puny little metal protecting the food peg.

To me the order of things to break is the side mirror, handle bar, foot peg, engine guard and the rest.(May be tank comes inbetween) but its always the side mirror for me.

Quote:
hy not carry a spare mate? Should fit under the seat (idea courtesy - Ebonho)
Not sure if that ever occurred to me. The only thing that fits to me as a spare are the cables, may be puncture kit and bulb.

In case of a bullet i may add the spark plug, oil , and some even a piston.

Last edited by VW2010 : 25th June 2015 at 03:34.
Old 25th June 2015, 09:41   #4500
BHPian

Quote:
Dropped my 390 yesterday while trying to park the bike on a slope. It was a minor fall but the right side foot peg broke on the impact. No other damage to the bike. Rode back without a foot peg.
I had dropped my bike while taking a u-turn (5'4" guy on RC390 ) and the brake pedal simply broke into two. Had to ride back with restricted speeds with just front brakes. All these are cast parts and and horribly brittle. Please correct if I am wrong but I guess cast parts will break before they bend. These being critical parts (had I dropped left and broke gear pedal, my ride would have been over), Bajaj-KTM should have them forged.

Considering how cheap these are (I got mine for around Rs. 380 IIRC), would it hurt to have them forged and priced at around 1000? I actually went to SVC to buy spares to carry aboard but these things fly off the shelves and bulk of accident cases at SVC have their pedals missing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks