Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2015, 13:58   #4516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Dear 390ers, what in your opinion is a 'logical' upgrade from the 390 and why?
The Z1000. Similar madness. The Scrambler for me is a middle ground under 10 l. Similar characteristics. Monster too. Other Nakeds are a bit of tamer nature and one might end up missing the madness of the 390.
Old 27th June 2015, 14:22   #4517
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

For me the reason why I do not see a worthy upgrade to the 390 in India currently is purely the fact that I do not see another bike that has the level of equipment, performance, handling, and huge weight advantage the 390 has over everything out there currently, at the price it is available at.

At the very least, performance, handling and weight are must haves in my next bike - even if it cannot tick the price box as well as the 390 does.

Once you ride the Dukes, they do spoil you for anything that is even marginally overweight, or even marginally less intuitively responsive.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 14:42   #4518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Dear 390ers, what in your opinion is a 'logical' upgrade from the 390 and why?

Please don't get all philosophical and explain why what's a logical upgrade for one may not be so for the other, tell me which bike (s) you would buy/ consider buying after the 390.
Good Question!

My take: The 390 is providing me more than enough performance and fun for a naked bike for the price I paid and is still keeping me grinning stupid. So, I don't see any point in migrating to another powerful naked bike which I wont be able to thrash like the 390. What I would like to have is a (super) sports bike to hone the cornering skills properly. The 390 is more than perfect to hone your skills, be it supermoto or sports bike style, but I want something else with a lower handlebar and bit more distance between the seat and the handlebar to get those 'positions' right. This is along with the 390. But of course that's a dream, I don't think I will be able to maintain 2 bikes . And no sports bike is affordable for me right now, barring the GT650R, which I am not really interested in!

This is life and not everything will go according to your meticulous planning. So, even if I have to settle for a naked, I would pick up a pre-worshipped FZ1 and buy a Hero Impulse alongside that!
Old 27th June 2015, 18:41   #4519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
For me the reason why I do not see a worthy upgrade to the 390 in India currently is purely the fact that I do not see another bike that has the level of equipment, performance, handling, and huge weight advantage the 390 has over everything out there currently, at the price it is available at.
Pretty much sums it up. I was just sitting there and thinking about this the other day while I was riding on the bangalore salem highway. There were 3 of us on 390's and we saw a group of guys on ninjas and triumphs at a rest stop. While the wow factor is there on those bikes, ground reality is that the VFM factor on the duke cant be beat. If you think about it how sooner do those guys get to a typical riding destination which is 5-6 hours away considering the money they spent?
Also there is the fact that upgrading would necessitate dealing with the terrible second hand value of the duke. I for one would rather keep my bike as long as it keeps taking me to wherever I want to go, which it has done faithfully till now.

Mod Note: Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th June 2015 at 07:34.
Old 28th June 2015, 09:34   #4520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is always a worthy upgrade . I mean the 690 or the currently on going super duke thread. The super duke is just stunning and a raw machine. Capable to give the 4 cylinder litre bikes a strange look on how is this bike doing that??

The 390 paise for paise is the best bike in the market in terms of value. This bike to me is very synonymous to me to the RX100. Its own fans, its own likes and the most important of all the unique experience. Taking close to the superbike yet making it the light weight scooter to chug around in the city(absolutely kidding...there is no way you can chug on this...it just kills the fun )
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 21:49   #4521
BHPian

Quote:
Karan, what I used to do was keep both foot levers spare wrapped up in plastic under the pillion seat (that's about all that can really fit there).
I was wondering why you would carry spare foot pegs under the seat. But now I know. Apparently Bajaj has somehow maintained the metallurgy of the foot pegs quite consistant !!

My bike was knocked over by heavy winds, while parked on a road side. One of the monsoon casualities. The footpeg took the brunt and snapped. I cant even find the foot peg, all that is left is a metal stub.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1435508364838.jpg  

Old 29th June 2015, 11:41   #4522
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why or even how this can happen on what are essentially spring-loaded foot pegs, which by their very design should simply fold away.
Old 29th June 2015, 13:03   #4523
BHPian

Got the rear metzeler changed on my duke, It lasted 8741kms! Ktm service centre told me that baja has stopped selling metz! I got mine from karol bagh, Delhi.
Old 29th June 2015, 14:15   #4524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
It lasted 8741kms!
Looks like my record has been broken. Mine lasted for 9500!
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 21:18   #4525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand why or even how this can happen on what are essentially spring-loaded foot pegs, which by their very design should simply fold away
This looks serious. Like you mentioned earlier riding standing on those foot pegs is a daily job for some of us to relax the bum . This can be serious. I think we should see ways to get those simpler yet stronger and reliable footpegs like the ones in your bull doc.

This looks scary for me thinking those highway rides only to try to find a way to stay on the road and on the bike after probably twisting the ankles.
Old 29th June 2015, 21:36   #4526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand why or even how this can happen on what are essentially spring-loaded foot pegs, which by their very design should simply fold away.
Not in this case (ie Mithunvvijayans description). The axis round which the pegs fold is not horizontal.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th June 2015, 21:46   #4527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
My bike was knocked over by heavy winds, while parked on a road side. One of the monsoon casualities. The footpeg took the brunt and snapped. I cant even find the foot peg, all that is left is a metal stub.
This is really ridiculous. I wonder how I am going to cope with this should it happen to me :-(
Old 29th June 2015, 22:00   #4528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
This is really ridiculous. I wonder how I am going to cope with this should it happen to me :-(
Sudipto, at your age if you have a spill, I don't think the bike will be your chief worry!

On a lighter note, you know you have an (evangelical) responsibility towards us (ie non KTM owners). It is your responsibility (and headache) to keep the bike ship shape so that WE can have fun borrowing it/ riding it, and being converted.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th June 2015, 22:46   #4529
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a 2014 model. Hope the 2015s are more durable. From the metal cross section where the shear happened, it looks quite brittle in "design". Maybe it takes more force of the impact away from the body (to be kinder to Bajaj)
Old 30th June 2015, 09:43   #4530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Mine is a 2014 model. Hope the 2015s are more durable. From the metal cross section where the shear happened, it looks quite brittle in "design". Maybe it takes more force of the impact away from the body (to be kinder to Bajaj)
Breaking/Snapping footpegs looks like a serious issue and can be dangerous and life threatening when one is doing 80-100+ KMPH on the highways. Although not related to the footpeg there was an instance on this very thread where the grab handle just broke while pulling it. (Page 65 post no.961). This could be one odd case but I think it needs to be brought to the notice of Bajaj KTM. I am sure they will do something about this as they did about snapping rims.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks