Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2015, 15:57   #4621
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I got the same for my RC390 only a month back. It rests on the swingarm so doesn't require bobbins. Takes only a couple of seconds to mount the bike. Just align the mounts of stand with the swingarm and push the stand down. A few observations and tips which might help you:

1. Recommended to take help from someone to hold the bike still while you mount the bike on stand. Finding a volunteer shouldn't be difficult for a 5 second help. A friend of mine does it alone on Duke 390 but it is not something I would suggest.

2. The area which you would hold by hand while mounting pushing the stand down for mounting is not bent much so make sure your fingers don't get stuck between metal and floor.

Finally, enjoy the nicely built paddock stand and new-found freedom to service your bike!! (Adding a pic of the same stand mounted on my RC)

Attachment 1392992
Thanks! much helpful.

Could not use the paddock this weekend as i went for another type of riding - Horse riding, after which i could not walk straight, forget lifting the 390 on the paddock. Will try this coming weekend, as bike desperately needs chain servicing.
Old 20th July 2015, 18:06   #4622
BHPian

Transformation status of my Duke 390 has reached 90% completion level with successful DIY tail tidy mod with numberplate light holder attached. With this mod and idea have saved nearly 9000INR (R&G tail tidy costs around 9500INR)

This entire DIY costed me just 150INR to get the job done at my local mechanic shop. The cost includes use of grinder to chop the tail off, number plate holder (mettalic strip) modification to house the detached led number plate light.

P.S: The DIY may have give you a complete idea of how I got the job done because I was very excited when doing this mod job and realized that I should have clicked stage-wise pics when the job was nearly completed!

Before chopping the tail off got the number plate light removed.

Made use of sheet metal piece to attach to the number-plate holder strip so that i can house the number plate light. Cut the sheet in 'U' shape to allow the electrical wire to pass through easily. Got this piece welded to the number plate strip to make it into a single piece.

Drilled additional two holes to mount the number plate strip onto the chopped tail. Just before the ridge that turns the tail downward there is screw mounting point that clings the bottom and top tail piece section. Used that section to get the number plate holder fixed onto the tail. Drilled 8mm hole through the existing hole to make the holder stronger.

Well that sums up my DIY. I will say let the pics do the talking. If any queries please feel free to ask/comment.

And special thanks to @urban_nomad for pushing me to chop the tail off

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-2.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-3.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-4.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-5.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-6.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-7.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-8.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-9.jpg

And this is how my Akira looks!

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-untitled.jpg
akshayhonda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 18:19   #4623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Transformation status of my Duke 390 has reached 90% completion level with successful DIY tail tidy mod with numberplate light holder attached.
This is some neat stuff, man. Nothing more pleasing than seeing a fellow owner dedicate so much time and effort to make his prized possession retain her elegance with every passing day. With the decals and the tail gone, the bike has an atrociously better persona now. Bravo, bud!

P.S - The second last picture is brutal. Gives you a fairly good comprehension about the dimensions of the D390's rear tyre with respect to it's chassis.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 18:27   #4624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
This is some neat stuff, man. Nothing more pleasing than seeing a fellow owner dedicate so much time and effort to make his prized possession retain her elegance with every passing day. With the decals and the tail gone, the bike has an atrociously better persona now. Bravo, bud!

P.S - The second last picture is brutal. Gives you a fairly good comprehension about the dimensions of the D390's rear tyre with respect to it's chassis.
Thanks barcalad. That's the best way I can show my love and attention towards her. And I just love pampering here

Only thing left (I think so hahaha) is blackening out the footrests. Thats should complete the 'Fear The Black' look!
Old 20th July 2015, 19:59   #4625
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks barcalad. That's the best way I can show my love and attention towards her. And I just love pampering here

Only thing left (I think so hahaha) is blackening out the footrests. Thats should complete the 'Fear The Black' look!
Get a Black and Orange combo racing suit to leave no margin for deficit.

Have you considered painting the alloys? I reckon the Overdrive or Autocar guys painted the rims of their 'garage bike' white and it was one of the most unfortunate sights I have ever come across.
Old 20th July 2015, 20:53   #4626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Get a Black and Orange combo racing suit to leave no margin for deficit.

Have you considered painting the alloys? I reckon the Overdrive or Autocar guys painted the rims of their 'garage bike' white and it was one of the most unfortunate sights I have ever come across.
Won't get a rising suit buddy. Not a track guy nor suitable for riding in intense Indian conditions.

Yes have seen one black duke with black rims and orange frame. And seen Schumi's bike with white wheels. I intend to keep my wheels and frame color Orange only
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 22:54   #4627
BHPian

Quote:
Transformation status of my Duke 390 has reached 90% completion level with successful DIY tail tidy mod with numberplate light holder attached.
What a coincidence! I was planning to get this done for my Duke 200 this week. Your instructions will make it a lot easier for me now. Thanks for sharing!

Also, I was wondering, the wires for the number plate light bulb seem exposed. Won't it be an issue in the rain?
Old 20th July 2015, 22:58   #4628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
What a coincidence! I was planning to get this done for my Duke 200 this week. Your instructions will make it a lot easier for me now. Thanks for sharing!

Also, I was wondering, the wires for the number plate light bulb seem exposed. Won't it be an issue in the rain?
Glad that it was of help to you.

Exposed wires shouldn't be a problem as they have a plastic coating over them. But will be sealing the wires with insulation tape tomorrow. And also the gap left after cutting the tail with some packing foam.
Old 21st July 2015, 12:14   #4629
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Serious question on tail tidy.
I have been hearing this term and associated brands like R&G, and how much they cost, etc for a while now.
I genuinely want to know the story/ idea behind a tail tidy kit and what it does to the bike. Is it purely for aesthetic value, or does it have any functional aspect associated. Why does is cost so much to get an after market kit? if its of some major importance/significance, why dont the manufacturers consider it in the original design? First think that comes to my mind is a chopped tail will increase the road water spray on self and others behind.
I seriously have no idea, so asking to know more about it.
Old 21st July 2015, 12:52   #4630
Senior - BHPian

^^tail sections, besides being there to help avoid water splash also serves a legal requirement in many countries. In Europe for example, which happens to be the primary market ktm caters to; has a rule that the number plate should be clearly displayed and should go beyond the rear tyre. Hence the ugly dead branch like stock section

Tail tidy is there to clean up the look and make the bike prettier. It serves no function in the real world

The only time it's helpful is while pulling wheelies. Stunters chop off the rear section so that it does not drag against the pavement when they are 12'0 clocking it
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:13   #4631
Senior - BHPian

KTM would like to convey that broken alloys are a thing in the past and broken chain is the future!

Old 23rd July 2015, 05:29   #4632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tail tidy is there to clean up the look and make the bike prettier. It serves no function in the real world
On the other hand it shaves a lot of weight. Its actually a functional mod for many.

@DR
I can now clearly say what the 390 does is pretty much the closest thing one can experience to riding a 600cc bike.

The 390 to me rides far better than the Ninja 650. Dont get me wrong the Ninja is a class of its own, but to me the net-net money vs output makes 390 way ahead of Ninja.

The Fz6R that i picked now would be the ideal bike for many of us in india only if Yamaha decides to bring them there. Exceptional riding qualities for city riding, better cowling and heat protecting, very useful torque curve to even ride at 30-40kmph at 6th gear and still stonking fast when you need it.

Wait, i felt the same way with 390 and thats how good the 390 is
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:59   #4633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The 390 to me rides far better than the Ninja 650. Dont get me wrong the Ninja is a class of its own, but to me the net-net money vs output makes 390 way ahead of Ninja.
Thanks for that comparison. Even without the money and bang for buck angle, the 390 rides better than the N650 just simply bike to bike. Of course its nowhere as fast, giving 27 bhp, 260 cc, and a cylinder to the bigger bike. But at least to me and my riding style, I've never been at home on it as compared to the Duke. The ER6N is a lot better though, a lot closer. The "real" Ninjas, the 250s which I've ridden, are brilliant in comparison.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd July 2015 at 13:01.
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:41   #4634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The "real" Ninjas, the 250s which I've ridden, are brilliant in comparison.
The 300's are the cake of the hour. R3, Ninja 300 and all are absolutely brilliant and a pleasure to ride. I tested a couple here and settled with Fz6r for practical purpose.

I wish i can export this Fz6r because its such a lovely bike
Old 23rd July 2015, 18:26   #4635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I wish i can export this Fz6r because its such a lovely bike
Off topic: Wanted your opinion on how riding in the US (New Jersey?) compares to riding in India

It is my opinion that riding in India would be a lot more "interesting" than the US, barring California. The biggest reason behind this being the "no lane splitting" law (where Cali is an exception and lane splitting is legal). I would be constantly cursing inside my helmet if I had to sit in traffic like a four wheeler; unable to take the gap thats right there in front of me. Also, I think NJ sees a fair amount of snow for a good part of the year. How much of the 12 months would you say is conducive to riding

Of course, one would be a lot safer and have better access to a race track than if they were in India; not to mention a plethora of relatively affordable motorcycles to choose from

California would be my version of motorcycle heaven. Pune like weather, mountains are a stone's throw away and you can split lanes to your heart's content

Ride safe mate!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 23rd July 2015 at 18:32.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks