Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2015, 15:12   #4921
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
..refusing to register customers who use ANY TYRE BRAND except the Metzeler.
This is height of stupidity. Bajaj failing to make Metzelers available and refusing to acknowledge the fact that people have right to put any tyre so long as they have correct specs. Admittedly, Metzelers are expensive but they are among the best available and if these tyres are readily available at KTM service centers, many would go ahead with them. I wonder how many owners went with other brands just because they couldn't find Metzelers or found to them to be priced unreasonably.
Old 10th October 2015, 19:19   #4922

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
This is most surprising.

Here, in Delhi, they're organising a Track Day for 390 owners at the Buddh International Circuit, sometime at the end of this month. Apparently, they're refusing to register customers who use ANY TYRE BRAND except the Metzeler. To add to it, they're not even giving receipts/acknowledgements after taking the registration fees from the customer!

So much for not being able to digest the fact that a tyre that costs half as much as their dear Metz is giving it tough competition. KTM will never learn, will it?

Our fellow member mehuel, an avid and skilled track guy, went with the rear Metz on his RC390 because he was left with no other option!
I think this problem is endemic to South India, particularly Tamil Nadu. The sales and service staff seem to be ignorant about most aspects of the very bikes they're supposed to sell/maintain. They appear to have received very little training. When I test rode both Dukes after the 390 was released, the salesman kept insisting that the 200 would "suit my body type more", even after I had informed him that I was keener on the 390. This kind of argumentative approach really cheesed me off, and I ended up getting the bike in Pondicherry (also reduced the road tax by about 30K ). Now there's a drought of Metzeler tyres in both cities, with the sales staff being flippant in their attitude when I asked them when they expected to get fresh stock. A very unsavoury experience on the whole, and I think Bajaj should look into giving their staff some kind of training instead of selecting random people and plonking them in orange shirts.
PS: The sales guy at the Pondicherry showroom said he knew of a tyre brand better than Metzeler, but was unable to recall the brand name. Any idea about this, or was he just talking through his hat (as I suspect he was)?
Old 10th October 2015, 20:17   #4923
Senior - BHPian

A friend shared these pics of a 390 that's in for a "heart surgery". According to the SA, a piggyback ECU setup+aggressive riding caused the damage.

Name:  ForumRunner_20151010_201329.png
Views: 2603
Size:  696.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20151010_201341.png
Views: 2085
Size:  655.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20151010_201353.png
Views: 2194
Size:  755.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20151010_201405.png
Views: 2227
Size:  622.7 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 20:20   #4924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM-58 View Post
PS: The sales guy at the Pondicherry showroom said he knew of a tyre brand better than Metzeler, but was unable to recall the brand name. Any idea about this, or was he just talking through his hat (as I suspect he was)?
Probably was talking about the pirelli diablo rosso 2, the dukes abroad come studded with those and they are supposed to be one of the best there is.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 20:23   #4925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sales guy at the Pondicherry showroom said he knew of a tyre brand better than Metzeler, b
As ignorant as the sales and service staffs are, we cannot be ignorat to say there are better brands than Metz. Metz given in this bike for the cost is a steal of a deal and that Metz is a leech keeping the bike on the road for all the stunts you do.

Downside is, its life time is probably 8K kms. On an average if you ride it in high revs, heavy breaking and acceleration almost all the tyres have similar life time give it 1-3k more.

And remember there is no 1 brand that is best. Each has its own strength and weakness. MetZ is no brainer.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 00:12   #4926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM-58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Probably was talking about the pirelli diablo rosso 2, the dukes abroad come studded with those and they are supposed to be one of the best there is.
Incidentally Mahindra Mojo is coming shod with Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2, with the exact same tyre sizes as that of the Duke 390. Once the Mojo is launched, I hope we can source it cheaper than the Metzs from a Mahindra dealer.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 10:29   #4927
Senior - BHPian

Manufacturers not checking on their inventories especially tyres is appalling and at the same time shows "washing their hands off" attitude once the motorcycle is sold and leaves their premises. A similar situation is faced by RE Continental GT owners who are made to run from pillar to post for the Pirelli Sport Demon tyres that the motorcycle comes shod with.

If manufacturers can sell their models with these tyres they should also have an alternate arrangement for making them available to their customers through their service centres. Also I don't understand why those tyre manufacturers themselves are not considering to set up shop and sell their tyres to individual customers. I know the initial investment will be a bit steep but with the performance motorcycles market growing in India day by day they(Michelin, Pirelli, Metzeler, Bridgestone) can look at it as an option. Agreed there will be few takers for these expensive tyres but still that miniscule number will be high enough in a big market like India.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 10:59   #4928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Manufacturers not checking on their inventories especially tyres is appalling and at the same time shows "washing their hands off" attitude once the motorcycle is sold and leaves their premises. A similar situation is faced by RE Continental GT owners who are made to run from pillar to post for the Pirelli Sport Demon tyres that the motorcycle comes shod with.

If manufacturers can sell their models with these tyres they should also have an alternate arrangement for making them available to their customers through their service centres. Also I don't understand why those tyre manufacturers themselves are not considering to set up shop and sell their tyres to individual customers. I know the initial investment will be a bit steep but with the performance motorcycles market growing in India day by day they(Michelin, Pirelli, Metzeler, Bridgestone) can look at it as an option. Agreed there will be few takers for these expensive tyres but still that miniscule number will be high enough in a big market like India.
This is an age old story, and is purely numbers driven, especially for "exotic" (read non-commuter) sizes.

As a Bulleteer, you would know how often we have to run from pillar to post to get an ordinary 2000 buck 3.50x19 "lowly" MRF Nylogrip. Leave alone the impossible to source anymore Ceat Secura Sport in the same size.

The story is exactly the same with the replacement battery market by the way. At least that way KTM is way better than RE which left the LB 500 riders high and dry sourcing the 14Ah batteries, and making do with cheap 6-seater auto rickshaw and STD booth UPS workarounds, of dubious local brands.

Last edited by ebonho : 12th October 2015 at 11:08.
Old 12th October 2015, 11:21   #4929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
This is an age old story, and is purely numbers driven, especially for exotic sizes.
Agreed but my point was about the current growth of performance motorcycles in the Indian market and also their steadily growing numbers. Why can't the manufacturers stock inventory of their own OEM tyres if their customers are asking for it. As witnessed here and else where forum there are a lot of owners looking at changing their worn out metzeler(KTM) and Pirelli(RE CGT) for their bikes.
Quote:
As a Bulleteer, you would know how often we have to run from pillar to post to get an ordinary 2000 buck 3.50x19 "lowly" MRF Nylogrip. Leave alone the impossible to source anymore Ceat Secura Sport in the same size.
Yep but in present day we do have options for 3.50 19inch apart from the tried and tested MRF Nylogrip in the form TVS tyres, Duro tyres, Ralco tyres, Birla Tyres, etc. apart from the regular Ceat and Dunlop. Although among the new makes I have an experience with Duro tyre(rear) on my AVL Tbird which did a good job. I have seen owners stick to MRF Nylogrip as they are easily available in Bombay inspite of different options as mentioned above.
Quote:
The story is exactly the same with the replacement battery market by the way. At least that way KTM is way better than RE which left the LB 500 riders high and dry sourcing the 14Ah batteries, and making do with cheap aut rickshaw and STD booth UPS workarounds.
Yes I have heard of the issue with 14Ah battery availability. At least here in Bombay it is easily available(Exide 12V 14Ah). But yes I agree with the issues elsewhere. BTW there is now another option in the market which I am using called Amaron VRLA 12V 9Ah battery. I have this one fitted on my B1 Standard and it seems to be doing a very good job. Sorry for going Off Topic. By the way mithunvvijayan mate mentioned that Mahindra Mojo too comes with the same size tyres as Duke 390 albeit Pirelli Diablo Rosso. As long as there are "good" options in the market we will be happy.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 12th October 2015 at 11:22.
Old 12th October 2015, 11:51   #4930
Distinguished - BHPian

From my observation , the 'good','grippy' tyres are scarce in India in any size other than the 17 inch rim. Since 17 inch rims are the most commonly used from humble Pulsar 150 to the exotic super sports, there are a lot of options covering wide variety of sizes. Although this availability is a recent phenomenon.Around 3 years ago(Circa 2011 thereabouts) it was next to impossible to get hold of a nice grippy tyre in 100 - 120 section. But now there few very good options one can get.

But 18,19 inchers being not so prevalent size in our market, the tyre availability in open market is scarce and one has to depend on the dealers for sourcing them.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 10:53   #4931
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This morning, while riding to work, the horn is suddenly stopped working. checked the connecting wires to horn, they seem to be in place. Rest all lights, indicators etc are working fine. Where could i look into to get this sorted. What are diagnostic steps to find the fault area.
Old 13th October 2015, 11:07   #4932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
This morning, while riding to work, the horn is suddenly stopped working. checked the connecting wires to horn, they seem to be in place. Rest all lights, indicators etc are working fine. Where could i look into to get this sorted. What are diagnostic steps to find the fault area.
How about the horn adjusting screw ?
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 11:14   #4933
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if it's shared before or if it's appropriate for this thread but since it involves a Duke 390, I'm posting it here. A salute to the guy.

http://www.motoroids.com/features/bi...-new-duke-390/
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 11:18   #4934
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
How about the horn adjusting screw ?
Forgot to mention that i am using a dual horm setup. Both of them were working fine this morning, then both suddenly stopped. No Rain, no water, nothing. Is there any particular fuse that controls the horn? Could it be the Physical horn switch itself that lost some connector inside? :(
Old 13th October 2015, 11:33   #4935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Forgot to mention that i am using a dual horm setup. Both of them were working fine this morning, then both suddenly stopped. No Rain, no water, nothing. Is there any particular fuse that controls the horn? Could it be the Physical horn switch itself that lost some connector inside? :(
If you have a relay in the circuit, check for loose terminals. Push the horn button and see if the relay energizes (clicks).
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks