Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2015, 16:57   #4951
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Having clocked 15.5k on the odo and with my front Metzeler wearing out, I figured out it's time for a change. Initially, thought of the Metzeler. But I wanted to try something different. Hence, I landed up doing research on Pirelli - a tyre brand I blindly trust. Before I knew, I had set my heart and mind on the Pirelli Sport Demons.

Today being my birthday, my brother decided to add one more gift to the kitty and packed me off to the only place in Delhi which sells authentic Pirellis and other superbike tyres.. After half an hour, the Brazilian Pirelli replaced the German Metzeler.

First impressions? It looks extraordinary. It looks completely different from others and it looks every inch of it's repute. In fact, I caught a couple of eyes staring specifically at the tyre at the traffic junctions while returning home.

I have a big ride planned up for this Sunday. Shall be then able to form a detailed and concrete review of the PSD - a tyre that not many are aware about. Underrated much, this.

While in most places it sets you back by almost 5k, I got it from the authorised Pirelli dealer at Rs. 3700 only which includes fitting and complete Nitrogen filling. A steal.
What more? I got to choose the tyre I want from the lot. I chose the one which was made most recently and was ISI certified.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20151015_155227.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20151015_155153.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20151015_155129.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20151015_155135.jpg  

barcalad is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 20:41   #4952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Today being my birthday, my brother decided to add one more gift to the kitty and packed me off to the only place in Delhi which sells authentic Pirellis and other superbike tyres.. After half an hour, the Brazilian Pirelli replaced the German Metzeler.
Wish you a very happy birthday, buddy! Kudos to your brother for a well thought of gift. The Continental GT comes with the same PSDs and on the rare occasion that they have been called up for duty, they have done a sterling job. I checked with Pirelli's Karnataka distributor as well as multiple shops. Nobody has the PSDs in stock as Pirelli just isnt importing them anymore. Even RE admits that Pirelli isnt bringing PSD tires into the country to sell through the open market. I guess they are your dealer is importing it himself but that doesnt explain the ISI mark. Did you happen to get any details from the dealer?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 21:47   #4953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Wish you a very happy birthday, buddy! Kudos to your brother for a well thought of gift. The Continental GT comes with the same PSDs and on the rare occasion that they have been called up for duty, they have done a sterling job. I checked with Pirelli's Karnataka distributor as well as multiple shops. Nobody has the PSDs in stock as Pirelli just isnt importing them anymore. Even RE admits that Pirelli isnt bringing PSD tires into the country to sell through the open market. I guess they are your dealer is importing it himself but that doesnt explain the ISI mark. Did you happen to get any details from the dealer?
Thanks, Neil.

Well, yes. I did ask the dealer about him stocking the tyres. But before I zeroed down on his shop, I called the customer care of Pirelli India to ask about the tyre options and dealers. They told me to visit him while repeating 'He's the only authorised dealer, Sir' twice.
Next, I asked the dealer about the ISI mark. He told me that this ISI issues has been sorted (paperwork done) and the latest batches of tyres that are coming in are now ISI certified. That was evident on the tyre too as on closer inspection, I saw the ISI stamp and details. It bears the 'Made in Brazil' stamp too.

Another thing that the dealer warned me today was the abundance of fakes in the market. Tyres that have PIREILI instead of PIRELLI are being sold at inflated rates to unsuspecting owners.

As for Bangalore, I would suggest you to speak with the customer care of Pirelli India and find out more about their network in South India.

Last edited by barcalad : 15th October 2015 at 21:53.
Old 15th October 2015, 22:17   #4954
Senior - BHPian

As good as they are, Metzellers no longer make any sense. I wanted to renew the front tire during recent service of the bike and was shocked when the SA told me the cost of a new front tire is 9K! The rear has gone up to 11k. I recall paying Rs. 9300 after taxes for a new rear, not too long ago. I decided to change it at the said price. I guess someone was watching over me as when the time had come to collect the bike from service, the tire was not fixed. No stock.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 22:21   #4955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But before I zeroed down on his shop, I called the customer care of Pirelli India to ask about the tyre options and dealers. They told me to visit him while repeating 'He's the only authorised dealer, Sir' twice.
Next, I asked the dealer about the ISI mark. He told me that this ISI issues has been sorted (paperwork done) and the latest batches of tyres that are coming in are now ISI certified. That was evident on the tyre too as on closer inspection, I saw the ISI stamp and details. It bears the 'Made in Brazil' stamp too.
Its good to hear that you guys are getting ISI stamped Pirellis. Hopefully they start getting stocked across the country soon, like you said they are pretty underrated. The authorized distributor (number given by Pirelli customer care) here said there's no stock anywhere and hearing of my situation he said if I dont get anything, I should consider Ralco and he can help me in sourcing one in 90/90 IIRC
Old 15th October 2015, 22:46   #4956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
..if I dont get anything, I should consider Ralco and he can help me in sourcing one in 90/90 IIRC
Now because the situation has risen to the point where you're considering a Ralco, I think you should check out this and this.
Old 16th October 2015, 11:23   #4957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First impressions? It looks extraordinary.
Looks nice!

As mentioned, from the photos it definitely looks like the sidewall is much taller than the stock Metzelers.

Its the same stock size right ?
Old 16th October 2015, 11:30   #4958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Looks nice!

As mentioned, from the photos it definitely looks like the sidewall is much taller than the stock Metzelers.

Its the same stock size right ?
Thanks, Doc.

Yes. Same stock size.
Feels a tad taller than earlier, though.

Last edited by barcalad : 16th October 2015 at 11:50.
Old 16th October 2015, 11:34   #4959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Feels a taller than earlier, though.
Am sure 6'4" guys would not complain too stridently about that?!

I'm going to be very interested in hearing how this tyre feels in the twisties from you.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 11:50   #4960
BHPian

Quote:
Am sure 6'4" guys would not complain too stridently about that?!

I'm going to be very interested in hearing how this tyre feels in the twisties from you.
Absolutely not. Always liked Adventure-Tourers.

Sure, doc. Let me check it out on Sunday morning's ride and shall then update you.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 13:12   #4961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely not. Always liked Adventure-Tourers.

Sure, doc. Let me check it out on Sunday morning's ride and shall then update you.
Would be even greater if you could ride it back to back with a 390 shod with the Michelin up front.
Old 16th October 2015, 13:14   #4962
BHPian

Quote:
Would be even greater if you could ride it back to back with a 390 shod with the Michelin up front.
I reckon there might be a RC/D390 in our group that might have a Mich up front. If I come across one, I'll post the comparison here.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 13:20   #4963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I reckon there might be a RC/D390 in our group that might have a Mich up front. If I come across one, I'll post the comparison here.
That would be super.

Frankly I am waiting for the MRFs to be launched. If they are at least as good as the ones I had on my 200, I would be a happy man.

They are still not launched though and I wonder why, considering they have been field testing these since January this year.

Those would be around 6K a pair, compared to the 9K for the Michelins and Pirellis. And for touring, they would work just fine.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 13:35   #4964
Team-BHP Support

Are the MRF ReVz in 140/150 section not available yet?

I myself am looking for a tire swap on my 250R, have very good experience with Pirellis in the past. I just might go for MRF as I might get something new by the end of next year [finances permitting]

^^ Have you swapped rear tires as well? Pictures please.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th October 2015 at 13:39.
Old 16th October 2015, 14:34   #4965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Are the MRF ReVz in 140/150 section not available yet?
MRF Revz C 150/60 R17 made for the Duke 200 should work just fine for the CBR as well. Since there isn't much in the way of difference in top end between the two.

The MRF Revz C1 150/60 R17 for the Duke 390 is the one I am following, and which is not yet available in the market.

This one has a different tread (extra sipes), query different rubber, and would be rated safely higher than what the Duke/RC 390s can do.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks