Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2015, 10:46   #5071
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Don't be doc, there isn't.

I had a similar experience with my car, when my front tyre banged heavily onto a pavement. There wasn't any perceptible bends, though it had a lot of scratchs, so I got it checked at a local tyre shop. I thought the same procedure must be applicable to bike alloys also.

After I saw your post I verified with a few prominent tyre shops here, and there isn't anyone here who does it for bikes. Sorry for posting the wrong info.
Sad.

It's a major problem man. Because when you replace rims, you have to trust the rim manufacturer and the tyre manufacturer both to have perfectly round and balanced products from the factory.

Which we all know is never possible. Hence the need for balancing.

MRF guys are planning something in major cities soon. Like a specialized shoppe. Let's see.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 10:50   #5072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's true that riders like you and me acknowledge the shortcomings unlike others who keep bringing Bullet into every other conversation to just prove their point.

Unfortunately few of us are bullet owners as well. Some of the things discussed does makes sense to compare these two.

Few posts back you were talking about drive by wire as well. The safety aspects over ride the speed aspect of these system. The ability to introduce ESP, Traction control and overall control on power delivered to the wheel far more outweighs the speed aspect and hence the 2017 390 may have more tech than any other bikes on indian roads under 4L

The bare bones of mechanics is something the bullet teaches. The new age electronics aid a lot but the bare bone is what helps enjoy these new aids.

And the bullet owners here have only contributed saying why the 390 is a killer deal even over a traditional bullet simply because of the tech it offers for the money you pay.
Old 25th November 2015, 11:11   #5073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM-58 View Post
I checked again after seeing your post. The spokes seem fine. As far as I can tell, it's only the damage near the tyre.
As per what I can see, that's only a chip mark. My bike's alloy lip has many such marks around it. Monitor the tyre pressure for a while. If its holding fine, you are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Few posts back you were talking about drive by wire as well. The safety aspects over ride the speed aspect of these system. The ability to introduce ESP, Traction control and overall control on power delivered to the wheel far more outweighs the speed aspect and hence the 2017 390 may have more tech than any other bikes on indian roads under 4L
I still don't understand the need for TC on a 44BHP bike!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 25th November 2015 at 11:18.
Old 25th November 2015, 11:37   #5074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still don't understand the need for TC on a 44BHP bike!
May be in India we may not need them or may be we do. But TC does help in many situations. Rainy days i am scared like anything to take my FZ6R out. In dry weather i have absolutely confidence on the tyre and breaks(no ABS). But in rain not having ABS and not have the TC makes it really dangerous to ride that bike around normal roads in less than 30 MPH let alone high speed.

44BHP is plenty considering that the bike can do less than 5 second 60MPH and that's plenty and its light and nimble.

Its like ABS for me. The current twin 320mm is more than enough but having that ABS does help further.
Old 25th November 2015, 14:17   #5075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Unfortunately few of us are bullet owners as well. Some of the things discussed does makes sense to compare these two.

The bare bones of mechanics is something the bullet teaches. The new age electronics aid a lot but the bare bone is what helps enjoy these new aids.

And the bullet owners here have only contributed saying why the 390 is a killer deal even over a traditional bullet simply because of the tech it offers for the money you pay.
Mate I partly agree with you but not going further off topic I was pointing towards those owners who keep bringing the Bullet to prove their point vis a vis not only KTM but other motorcycles as well. Its like they curse KTM for so much electronic wizardry while praise the Bullet for its simple mechanicals and on another day they will curse the Bullet for its unreliability and praise the KTM for its performance. KTM as a manufacturer has offered us many things which was never seen on any other bikes before. Power, safety, trellis frame, radical design, you name it. My cousin brother who owns a KTM Duke 390 says this motorcycle is going to be with me till I die. He has an aspiration to buy the Yamaha R1 but is not ready to part with his Duke 390.

After reading MithunVjayan's post about his experiences of retrofitting the slipper clutch, I have suggested my cousin to have a look at it as an option.
Old 26th November 2015, 18:25   #5076
BHPian

Observed the visible damages closely today, 38 days after that infamous day.

The way the rear footpeg pillar has snapped after being hit is mighty terrifying.

What can be the possible rectifications to hide/remove the scratches, gentlemen?
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20151126_122052.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20151126_122114.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20151126_122057.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20151126_122125.jpg  

Last edited by barcalad : 26th November 2015 at 18:30.
Old 26th November 2015, 19:32   #5077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post

The way the rear footpeg pillar has snapped after being hit is mighty terrifying.

What can be the possible rectifications to hide/remove the scratches, gentlemen?
Having known you, don't go for any jugaad. Replace everything. That will give you peace of mind.
Old 26th November 2015, 19:38   #5078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Having known you, don't go for any jugaad. Replace everything. That will give you peace of mind.
I shall for the others, but replacing the fuel tank casing and the engine casing for not-so-big scratches doesn't make sense economically.

Do you suggest any form of stickering or something to hide them?

The one on the engine casing is primarily on the outer lining, which I feel can be masked under a circular sticker (just to cover the outer lining, similar to wheel rim stickers). Not sure what to do with the one of the fuel tank, though.
Old 26th November 2015, 19:59   #5079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's nothing!

Wear them proudly as battle scars and get the functional stuff taka tak.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 20:21   #5080
BHPian

Quote:
I shall for the others, but replacing the fuel tank casing and the engine casing for not-so-big scratches doesn't make sense economically.

Do you suggest any form of stickering or something to hide them?
If not new panels then prepare to use some elbow grease and get 3000, 2000 & 1000 grit wet sanding paper and wet grind it off. Clay bar and lube will also work in smoothing it off.

Do it for both - plastic panel as well as the crank case cover.

Then head to the sticker dude in Nai wala gully in Karol Bagh and get a nice sticker job done over the plastic panels.

For the metal part you can shop for matching color heat resistant spray on eBay.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 20:56   #5081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
If not new panels then prepare to use some elbow grease and get 3000, 2000 & 1000 grit wet sanding paper and wet grind it off. Clay bar and lube will also work in smoothing it off.
If I were you, I'd follow outofthebox's instructions then get a band aid sticker in white/black dots, cut to fit the dimensions of your scratch and stick it.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-001.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-jdmdecal03.jpg

Looks cool IMHO
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 21:01   #5082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
If I were you, I'd follow outofthebox's instructions then get a band aid sticker in white/black dots, cut to fit the dimensions of your scratch and stick it.

Looks cool IMHO
Probably intricate scars with suture marks

Ala Curse of Chucky?!!!
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 21:12   #5083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Then head to the sticker dude in Nai wala gully in Karol Bagh and get a nice sticker job done over the plastic panels.
Do you have any specific shop in mind? Do text me the details.

Might as well drop by Khan's to get my seat baptised.
Old 26th November 2015, 22:17   #5084
Senior - BHPian

Folks, anybody tried EMD Gel Seats? The below link says its a universal seat
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Motorcycle-Se...-/281863663452

Price seems okay I guess, isn't it?
Old 27th November 2015, 11:10   #5085
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any specific shop in mind? Do text me the details.

Might as well drop by Khan's to get my seat baptised.
Mate the sticker dude's shop is bang opposite the seat maker in the same gully.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks