Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 15:09   #5176
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hi All,

Completed 11,100 kms on my D390 last week and I was on my way to drop my bike for the 4th service when the bike decided to stall
I was idling the engine at a signal and when I got the green, engaged 1st gear and released the clutch to start rolling when the engine stalled.
After stalling, there is only a whizzing noise when attempting the crank the engine. Tried 'dhakka' start also with no success. Eventually had the bike towed to the service center.
Any thoughts on what could have gone wrong?
Sad to say that the bike gave absolutely no signs that something is wrong.

Also, I am finally bidding good bye to my rear metzeler which served for 11k kms.
Got Michelin Pilot Street 150/60-17 for my ride .
Old 8th January 2016, 17:00   #5177
Senior - BHPian

^^ I'm not expert but it does seem like the side stand sensor is the likely culprit. Keep us posted on how it goes bud. All the best
Old 8th January 2016, 17:13   #5178
BHPian

Any recommendation for replacing the rear tyre?
There is a lot of talk about the 150/60 Michelin, is that tyre too much of a compromise in terms of high speed grip?

I am yet to come across anyone who is unhappy with the grip that Metzeler offers on good roads but yes on our Indian roads, it is scary to brake with Metz on slight gravel or sand (unavoidable on roadsides).
Old 8th January 2016, 18:33   #5179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ I'm not expert but it does seem like the side stand sensor is the likely culprit. Keep us posted on how it goes bud. All the best
But I guess that the whizzing noise is from the starter motor and this possibility can be sidelined for now. I will let you all know by tomorrow when I visit the workshop.

Michelin 150/60 is a well rounded proposition as per user reviews in my riding club. Riders are happy with the grip levels and abuse it can handle. In fact the grip levels are so good that the bike feels a tad heavy when straightening the bike after leaning. This is the best alternative available in the indian market for the Metzelers for now. The rear tyre will cost you Rs.5500 approx.

Last edited by sharanvenu : 8th January 2016 at 18:41. Reason: trying to avoid a consecutive post
sharanvenu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 15:03   #5180
BHPian

Finally diagnosed the issue with the bike. The culprit was identified to be the crankshaft key - a woodruff key which sheared into 2 pieces. It's as big as the half of a 25 paise coin. A metal piece worth 2 Rs brought a 2 lakh rupee bike to a halt.
Collected 2 extra woodruff keys to add to the spare part inventory.
The Michelin 150/60 has been installed and wheel balancing was done. The rear wheel seems to have gained approx 2kgs of weight after the installation. Definitely heavier than the metzeler. Will post reviews after run in and a couple of long rides.
sharanvenu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 17:21   #5181
BHPian

Recently changed my rear tyre to Michelin Pilot Sport Radial. Idiots at the tyre shop screwed up my rear caliper. I asked them thrice if they are comfortable changing tyres on the 390, they said they had changed tyres on ducati too..

took 4 of them 50 mins to put the tyre back in.. the tyre was not rotating freely and the motorcycle was choking to move forward.. next day took it to the svc, brake pads got bent, the caliper thankfully got saved with minor scratches on them.

Lesson learnt, buy the tyre and take it to svc to change them.

Tyre: So far very good, I could notice very less differences when compared to Metz for my kind of riding style.
razorBlades is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 22:48   #5182
BHPian

The best way to do it takes a little effort, but ensures that your bike stays scratch and trouble free.
Showrooms don't usually have a tyre changing or balancing machine.
Get your wheel unmounted at the showroom.
Take it to the best tyre seller who has a hydraulic tyre mounting/unmounting machine and a tyre balancing machine.
Get your tyre back to the showroom.
Mount the tyre by the most trusted mechanic in the Ktm showroom.
Your wheel stays scratch free and balanced and you get it mounted perfectly.
This process takes time and effort... But my babe is worth the effort
sharanvenu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 16:10   #5183
BHPian

Folks been following this thread for a while.. After much deliberation and waiting for news on the 690, Just paid for my black 390 hopefully will get delivery soon
Old 16th January 2016, 22:15   #5184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Folks been following this thread for a while.. After much deliberation and waiting for news on the 690, Just paid for my black 390 hopefully will get delivery soon
Congratulations !! You won't be disappointed. 390 has sufficient power and performance. Given the Indian road conditions, any more of it is not usable. You go for a bigger engine, you loose on handling, more weight, less mileage, you pay for more power and performance that you can't really use, unless you want it for the track.
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 17:43   #5185
Senior - BHPian

Since i reported issues with my D390 which was mainly concerning the replacement of Staror Kit and Speedometre going 0, while in motion..I have been to KTM Svc in Banjara Hills twice and ordered Stator kit, but it is no where in sight.
Since last week, my D390 has started stalling while shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I have got the Battery recharged and checked the output,which seems to be fine.
Im not happy with KTM SVc not resolving the issues in my D390.
What baffles me is the stalling of engine while shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear.
Old 18th January 2016, 00:24   #5186
Senior - BHPian

^^ how many ktm service outlets are there in Hyd? Even in delhi, we have some really bad ones but also some really really excellent ones too. For example - one at okhla should be avoided at all costs. On the other hand, I have experienced nothing but great service at the gurgaon svc and have heard very similar feedback for the noida center too

In case there are multiple svcs, it always helps to check with fellow owners to sort out the bad apples from the good ones

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 18th January 2016 at 00:25.
Old 19th January 2016, 20:42   #5187
Senior - BHPian

Read this today. Does it mean the ride by wire is not going to be available for India Market or did i read it incorrectly?
Old 19th January 2016, 21:00   #5188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Congratulations !! You won't be disappointed. 390 has sufficient power and performance. Given the Indian road conditions, any more of it is not usable. You go for a bigger engine, you loose on handling, more weight, less mileage, you pay for more power and performance that you can't really use, unless you want it for the track.
Thanks gharika! Can't wait, I'm excited like a little girl..oh the joy of new bike delivery
Old 19th January 2016, 23:01   #5189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Given the Indian road conditions, any more of it is not usable. You go for a bigger engine, you loose on handling, more weight, less mileage, you pay for more power and performance that you can't really use, unless you want it for the track.
The KTM 690 is not a track bike. It can be used. But the 690 is very easy to ride, not too heavy, good mileage for the 600cc and its not about only top speed.

To me 390 is good but 690 is perfect balance of power and performance for India roads if it comes out at sub 6L price point.
Old 20th January 2016, 06:08   #5190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The KTM 690 is not a track bike. It can be used. But the 690 is very easy to ride, not too heavy, good mileage for the 600cc and its not about only top speed.

To me 390 is good but 690 is perfect balance of power and performance for India roads if it comes out at sub 6L price point.
Maybe!! My particular use case does not justify spending 3 times the amount for 50% increase in CC and power though it definately has better power to weight at the cost of 33% decrease in fuel efficiency. Top speed is not a factor as even the Duke 200 has more than Indian safe limits.
The only things I would like to improve in the 390 is a bigger fuel tank and a radiator that does not roast my legs

Most Viewed