Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 16:02   #5356
BHPian

Folks I just had a complete blast of a time on the way to Goa. Took the amboli that and my my my, what a road.. Finally got to fully appreciate what this little puppy is capable of. Will do a travelogue once I return from this trip in the travelogue thread. I know this is probably already covered somewhere in the thread but are the pirelli diablo rosso 2s as good as the Metzlers? I kid you not, not once did I feel a lack of confidence, even though I'm a bit of a cornering noob. Anyway had a blast!

Just to clarify, what I meant in my previous post is that the Metzlers are really good. My bike came stock with these and contemplating on buying a spare set for track/daily+highway..someone suggested this in the thread earlier. Not sure if anyone went ahead with this idea and if they have any comments?

Last edited by Aditya : 28th March 2016 at 07:34. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Kameshwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 12:45   #5357
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Did a trip to bangalore to pick some riding gears.It was an unplanned trip, should say duke 390's seating posture and the windshield made sure that i am fresh at the end of the trip.I was not expecting much from the windshield but i was so wrong.Most of the wind is now diverted to the shoulders which otherwise would hit the helmet.I couldnt find any rattling or any unwanted flex at high speeds but anyways it is too early to comment on these.Totally Satisfied with the windshield and seems like a vfm product.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 28th March 2016 at 07:38. Reason: Fixing image orientation
Old 27th March 2016, 20:40   #5358
BHPian

Came back today from my trip to Goa.. No mods done to the bike. Did a bunch of riding whilst there, trips to North and south.. Have to say the Duke is a proper bike, my god I was fearing I'll need to take several breaks..or overnighting in Kolhapur or something.. Did the trip back in 363 mins avg speed 74. Didn't feel fast at all, I was really comfortable overall, apart from saddlesore..this is my longest ride in a single day so far..poor picture, it was taken in the afternoon and I was too lazy to take a second one..
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1459091380115.jpg  

Old 29th March 2016, 11:08   #5359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I had used the same raisers from Greasehouse. I dont know about the 200, but clutch cable is a problem for the Duke 390. I have tried different rerouting options. Still when i turn left, the clutch stretches and all the free play is gone from the lever. I'm now looking for a different cable that is slightly lengthier.
Quote:
This reduction in clutch freeplay is there even with the stock handlebar. Infact that is why they have put the free play. The accelerator too will lose the freeplay when turned right (IIRC).
Guys, what do you suggest? raisers limiting the freeplay of cables is a bit risky, i think. Are there any other longer cable which can be used? will check with greasehouse. How much of difference does the raisers make in real life scenario from ergonomics point of view.
I was ok as long as i was riding just the 390. Now i alternate between versys and 390 and can feel a major difference in sitting posture and wanted to bring the 390s posture closer to the versys. I feel upper body could be made more upright by trying the raisers, but dont think there is much scope to lower the foot pegs. or is there?

Couple of more issues with the 390. last service, both the brake pads were changed. Now the bite is slightly improved but for the front i have to really pull the lever a lot - almost to a point where the lever is just a few mm away from the throttle grip. Is there a way to reduce this travel, and set is such that the brakes work with slight pull of the lever. Rear brakes are fine.

Another issue is the console. The odometer keeps going to 0 especially during hard acceleration and at higher speeds/revs. Service folks said they tested the sensor at the wheel and its fine, and so is the battery health. They said the issue is with the console and i will have to replace it entirely which costs about 6500 rs. I opted to stay with the current console as i can live with odometer which is not 100% as long as there are no other threats. But, isn't there a way to get the console repaired at a cheaper cost then 6500rs.
Old 29th March 2016, 11:33   #5360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Guys, what do you suggest? raisers limiting the freeplay of cables is a bit risky, i think. Are there any other longer cable which can be used? will check with greasehouse. How much of difference does the raisers make in real life scenario from ergonomics point of view.
I was ok as long as i was riding just the 390.
I'm still looking for the lengthier cable. Regarding ergo, i think this 1 inch raiser has relieved lot of pressure on my hands while riding. Its more relaxed now, almost upright seating position. You can have a look at my bike and decide. You got PM.
Old 29th March 2016, 13:40   #5361
BHPian

Guys I'm noticing a weird thing with my speedometer some times.
While riding, it suddenly goes to 0kmph, stays that way for a second or two, and then goes back to showing the regular speed. None of the other readouts change. Only the speed.
Has anyone else also experienced this? Any guesses on what the issue could be.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 14:25   #5362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
While riding, it suddenly goes to 0kmph, stays that way for a second or two, and then goes back to showing the regular speed. None of the other readouts change. Only the speed.
If your motorcycle is under warranty, get the speedometer replaced and then check.

If it persists, it's the stator coil at fault. Known issue in most D390s. Successor to the broken rims, IMO.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 14:28   #5363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
If your motorcycle is under warranty, get the speedometer replaced and then check.

If it persists, it's the stator coil at fault. Known issue in most D390s. Successor to the broken rims, IMO.
I've crossed warranty by a few months by now.
Can stator coil cause speedometer misreads? I mean the speedometer itself works perfectly fine. Just the speed reading shows up as 0.

I'll get it checked out soon enough anyways.
Old 29th March 2016, 14:31   #5364
BHPian

Quote:
Can stator coil cause speedometer misreads? I mean the speedometer itself works perfectly fine. Just the speed reading shows up as 0.
It can. Also, keep in mind that once you change the speedometer, your odometer reading will go to zero, as it has happened with bhpian Urban_Nomad.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 14:49   #5365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was ok as long as i was riding just the 390. Now i alternate between versys and 390 and can feel a major difference in sitting posture and wanted to bring the 390s posture closer to the versys. I feel upper body could be made more upright by trying the raisers, but dont think there is much scope to lower the foot pegs. or is there?
Here is my experience after putting the risers - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3924134

The risers offer major ergonomic rewards - the sitting position is more upright, the pressure on the shoulder is less and it is very easy to stand up and ride.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 14:54   #5366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I've crossed warranty by a few months by now.
It is upto the SVC. A friend got the replacement done foc, despite his bike being well out of warranty. It was done as a goodwill gesture.
Old 29th March 2016, 16:20   #5367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Where did you get the windshield? Details like price etc will be very helpful.

Apart from that I'm facing a new issue with my console. The avg speed and time is supposed to reset to 0 if the bike remains switched off for more than 60 mins. Sometimes it resets to 0 even after 15 min break.

Looks like the consoles are prone to issues.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 29th March 2016 at 16:24.
Old 29th March 2016, 16:20   #5368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
precisely the thing i mentioned couple of posts before.
Quote:

Could be more.
one is odo going zero especially when the bike is slow moving/low rpm. This could be related to spoilt stator coil, which is not charging the battery enough. rev-up the bike and odo resumes normalcy. none of the other displays are affected. I have faced this and got the rotor coil replaced (outside warranty).
second is what i am facing now. Battery charge is ok. Stator coil is ok. revolution sensor at wheel for odo is ok. all oks as per the kasturba road service engineer. still the odo goes to 0 especially while accelerating/higher revs/higher speeds. The suggested solution is replace the console which approx costs 6.5k. i have decided to run as it is and see what happens next.
Old 29th March 2016, 16:33   #5369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Finally traded in the rc 390 for 2016 duke 390.
I was thinking of trading my Duke 390 for a RC 390.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I made the Supreme sacrifice of opening the plastic cover for you guys!
I made the Supreme sacrifice on 3 occasions:
1. To remove the tyre hugger
2. To install the Fork, Frame and Swingarm Sliders
3. To change the battery of a friends Harley Davidson (The bike comes without a toolkit).
Old 29th March 2016, 17:39   #5370
BHPian

Quote:
precisely the thing i mentioned couple of posts before.

Could be more.
one is odo going zero especially when the bike is slow moving/low rpm. This could be related to spoilt stator coil, which is not charging the battery enough. rev-up the bike and odo resumes normalcy. none of the other displays are affected. I have faced this and got the rotor coil replaced (outside warranty).
second is what i am facing now. Battery charge is ok. Stator coil is ok. revolution sensor at wheel for odo is ok. all oks as per the kasturba road service engineer. still the odo goes to 0 especially while accelerating/higher revs/higher speeds. The suggested solution is replace the console which approx costs 6.5k. i have decided to run as it is and see what happens next.
Three of my friends and me are experiencing the same issue. Two of them replaced the stator coil, speedo unit and wiring harness under warranty and the issue still persists. SVC is cluless.
I'm out of warranty and i've decided to run it as it is till it breaks. It's a random issue which only crops up in the middle of long rides and sometimes it goes away after a few minutes.

Most Viewed