Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 12:18   #5716
sps
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post

We included Hella relay and wired the lights to accessory socket in our fuse box. So only when the ignition is ON, the lights are lit up.
Thanks for the detailed information.
Are you using this as a DRL too?

Why did you chose this over the 6300K 30 degree version having the same price? (amazon link)

I also own a duke 390 and drooling about the versys 650
Old 17th August 2016, 12:48   #5717
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hello Buddie,
You can apply a sheet of yellow tint over the Head light area to ensure the yellow light instead of white light.

You can find more details by clicking on the link below

https://www.amazon.com/inches-Adhesi.../dp/B008BLFHS0

or

http://www.lamin-x.com/Fog-Light-Film-Covers-s/1816.htm

Generally they last for a year with normal use but they will leave behind the glue residue which you need to wipe away with some petrol dipped waste. Need to be however careful when you do that as some might cause a reaction with the plastic on the headlight
Thanks ku69rd. I am thinking to get it wrapped from a nearby sticker shop. It will cost peanuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Thanks for the detailed information.
Are you using this as a DRL too?
Thanks sps. I am not using it as DRL as they would be too bright and grabs unnecessary attention. It's wired in a way where the lights wont turn without the ignition on. Else, People will fiddle with the switch and it drains the battery.

Quote:
Why did you chose this over the 6300K 30 degree version having the same price? (amazon link)
As ku69rd and redliner mentioned 6300K is too whitish and very useless on light rains and fog.

Quote:
I also own a duke 390 and drooling about the versys 650
Many bhpains like redliner, nasirkaka have upgraded from Duke390 to Versys including some of my colleagues. I think it's time to follow this trend

Last edited by CGB : 17th August 2016 at 12:49. Reason: typos
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 12:53   #5718
Distinguished - BHPian

CGB and ninja, are the lights in question spot or flood? The title to the ad says flood, but the description say spot.
Old 17th August 2016, 13:11   #5719
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
CGB and ninja, are the lights in question spot or flood? The title to the ad says flood, but the description say spot.
It's spot. we ordered 4200K 20* spot beam model. Name is misleading. You can go ahead with the link which we shared.
Old 17th August 2016, 21:18   #5720
CGB
BHPian

Shot it now and no edits ! The throw is pretty tight and crisp.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image.jpeg  

CGB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 10:52   #5721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
It is spot, title is wrong. The reason we went for spots is that, flood is useless when we do highway runs. I had flood lights, 27x 2 watt for a brief time, useless it was.
Old 20th August 2016, 13:53   #5722
BHPian

Guys, need your opinion on this, today morning went for a chain clean & lube session. Told the fellow to clean the alloy wheel as well, it was full of sticking stuff from the chain lube. After the cleaning came back home and found that the paint has peeled off on the alloy wheel!
The service guy used chain cleaner and brake cleaner fluid to clean the alloy wheel.

Is this normal? it's the superficial layer of the orange paint that has come off at a few places, I am not sure what the root cause. Is this serious? Should I get this changed under warranty? Please let me know!

TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-duke-alloy-wheel-paint.jpg  

Last edited by Siddy : 20th August 2016 at 13:55.
Old 20th August 2016, 16:31   #5723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Guys, need your opinion on this, today morning went for a chain clean & lube session. Told the fellow to clean the alloy wheel as well, it was full of sticking stuff from the chain lube. After the cleaning came back home and found that the paint has peeled off on the alloy wheel!
The service guy used chain cleaner and brake cleaner fluid to clean the alloy wheel.
!
Brake cleaner fluid can remove paint. It's not meant to be used on any painted areas. Please check the following extract.

Quote:
As we mentioned on the last page, there can be some toxic chemicals in brake cleaner which means that you not only have to make sure you're in a well-ventilated area with the proper protective wear on, but you also need ensure that the car is protected as well.

Those chemicals can harm your car's paint, the final coat finish or any plastics on the vehicle [source:*3M].
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...e-cleaner2.htm

Last edited by anilp : 20th August 2016 at 16:32.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 16:37   #5724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Brake cleaner fluid can remove paint. It's not meant to be used on any painted areas.
I did some research and found this too, apparently there is paint thinner in the brake cleaners. Never expected this from KTM service, aren't these guys informed about such stuff? Disappointed!

Luckily, the peeled portion is pretty small.
Old 20th August 2016, 16:42   #5725
BHPian

Quote:
I did some research and found this too, apparently there is paint thinner in the brake cleaners. Never expected this from KTM service, aren't these guys informed about such stuff? Disappointed!

Luckily, the peeled portion is pretty small.
It was your lucky day that the damage was restricted to just a minor section. KTM may not have expected staff to make such a stupid omission, but do inform them about this ignorant act. It was most probably done with a good intention. Will save others. See if you can get a complementary touchup from them.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 16:59   #5726

Quote:
Guys,

Need some advice regarding adjusting chain slack. The chain on my d390 slaps like crazy while going over undulations, lately it has started to slap while riding over good roads too Last I got it tightened was some 600 kms back. Even after tightening the slap was not fully gone, chain slapped while going over bumps & potholes. Is this normal? Do I need to get it tightened after every 400-500 odd kms then?

Additionally, I've noticed the chain slapping when I change the gear and rev (approx @ 3500 revs), noise goes away as soon as rpm climbs. Do I need to check anything in particular? the noise takes away joy of riding.

TIA!
Rule Number 1: Get into the habit of inspecting, Cleaning and Lubing the chain every 500 to 700 km. Cleaning before lubing is extremely important. Never apply lube on a dirty chain. it will drive the grime further into the O-rings and the chain will die soon. Don't forget to check the sprocket for uneven wear and tear
Rule number 2: The chain slack at the middle point (between the front and rear sprocket) should be between 1" to 1.4"
Rule number 3: Never over tighten the chain. it can break under pressure and cost you your engine.

If you follow all of the above, your chain should easily last you around 40k km, if not more.

This chain is 3 years old with 28000 km on it. Maintained properly from Day-1. Chain and sprocket as good as new.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20160410_140002.jpg  

FalconRider is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 17:07   #5727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRider View Post
Rule Number 1: Get into the habit of inspecting, Cleaning and Lubing the chain every 500 to 700 km. Cleaning before lubing is extremely important. Never apply lube on a dirty chain. it will drive the grime further into the O-rings and the chain will die soon. Don't forget to check the sprocket for uneven wear and tear
Rule number 2: The chain slack at the middle point (between the front and rear sprocket) should be between 1" to 1.4"
Rule number 3: Never over tighten the chain. it can break under pressure and cost you your engine.
Cleaned, lubed and tightened the duke's chain after 650 kms today, I think I need to do it at the 500 kms mark instead, last 100 kms the chain had got really loose. All the chain slap is gone now.

I sometimes spray lube on the dirty chain, i'll keep in mind the point you mentioned! Thanks!
Old 20th August 2016, 18:17   #5728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRider View Post

This chain is 3 years old with 28000 km on it. Maintained properly from Day-1. Chain and sprocket as good as new.
My God, that's one hell of a clean chain! What lube do you use on your chain there? It will be nice if you could share your experience on how you go about cleaning, lubing, and tightening your chain. It's not like we don't know how to, but to see a chain that good after 28k is like being in the twilight zone.

More so since your profile says you like detailing.

Last edited by Red Liner : 20th August 2016 at 18:18.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 21:23   #5729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
It was your lucky day that the damage was restricted to just a minor section. KTM may not have expected staff to make such a stupid omission, but do inform them about this ignorant act. It was most probably done with a good intention. Will save others. See if you can get a complementary touchup from them.
I was really unhappy with the paint peel and logged an online complaint, got a call from the SVC and showed them what had gone wrong. The SVC guys said they have been using the brake cleaner on all ktm's for almost 2.5 years and never was such a thing reported Further he said it was just the superficial coating coming off

After some argument the fellow cleaned the wheel with petrol and pressure washed the rear alloy. At two places the paint was completely gone, white patches (1 inch long and 2-3 mm in width) on the corners. Then the service fellow said that its a manufacturing defect and took pictures of it, he has assured me that the company would replace the rim for free. Told me that he would call me in another 3 days to let me know the further process. I just hope I don't have to escalate this further to get a replacement.

One thing to mention here is that the response to my complaint was really quick, KTM India does take its customers seriously. Glad to know they value their customers!

Last edited by Siddy : 20th August 2016 at 21:31.
Old 21st August 2016, 09:39   #5730
BHPian

Quote:
Then the service fellow said that its a manufacturing defect and took pictures of it, he has assured me that the company would replace the rim for free. Told me that he would call me in another 3 days to let me know the further process. I just hope I don't have to escalate this further to get a replacement.

One thing to mention here is that the response to my complaint was really quick, KTM India does take its customers seriously. Glad to know they value their customers!
Great to hear that

I've also had a good experience with KTM Service for over three years now -- during warranty period as well as afterwards. It's been good to see their proactive attitude to keeping my bike in the best of shape. That's one of the reasons why I'll definitely upgrade to a KTM ADV (If it ever comes out) or a Versys 650. Do share details if you face any further issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks