Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2016, 17:31   #5746
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

#Duke 390 ABS issue
my 2013 make 390 has developed an issue with the ABS. The ABS light stays on all though. THe bike does slide under hard breaking. So the ABS is definitely not working like it should. It was intermittent initially but in a couple of days, ABS light staying on was more or less a permanent affair. I took it to KTM hopefarm. He test rode the bike but could not necessarily nail the cause. The guy disconnected and reconnected the front and rear sensors, did another test ride and handed the bike over to me. The issue seemed to have vanished until it sprung up again within 10 kms. The bike is now in KTM marathahalli. They have checked the fuse etc, all in tact. They need a couple of days to identify the cause. He seems to have subtlety suggested replacing the ABS until at a whooping cost of 30k!

Checking here to see if any of you face a similar issue? I went online to see if there was a fix and came back with break fluid, stressed diaphragm etc. Anything/anywhere else that I can look for possible causes? if it helps, a little over a month ago, I installed spot light and roots windtone horn. no immediate issues found then and both these accessories work as expected. KTM mechs say that this could not have fowled anything with the ABS. The bike is still at the SVC
Old 24th August 2016, 18:15   #5747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
#Duke 390 ABS issue
my 2013 make 390 has developed an issue with the ABS. The ABS light stays on all though. THe bike does slide under hard breaking. So the ABS is definitely not working like it should. It was intermittent initially but in a couple of days, ABS light staying on was more or less a permanent affair. I took it to KTM hopefarm. He test rode the bike but could not necessarily nail the cause. The guy disconnected and reconnected the front and rear sensors, did another test ride and handed the bike over to me. The issue seemed to have vanished until it sprung up again within 10 kms. The bike is now in KTM marathahalli. They have checked the fuse etc, all in tact. They need a couple of days to identify the cause. He seems to have subtlety suggested replacing the ABS until at a whooping cost of 30k!

Checking here to see if any of you face a similar issue? I went online to see if there was a fix and came back with break fluid, stressed diaphragm etc. Anything/anywhere else that I can look for possible causes? if it helps, a little over a month ago, I installed spot light and roots windtone horn. no immediate issues found then and both these accessories work as expected. KTM mechs say that this could not have fowled anything with the ABS. The bike is still at the SVC
Might be something to do with the ECU. The ABS unit may not be receiving proper signals from the ECU. Not to enlightened about how the duke is wired, but might be worth to give it a try.
Old 24th August 2016, 18:22   #5748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
Might be something to do with the ECU. The ABS unit may not be receiving proper signals from the ECU. Not to enlightened about how the duke is wired, but might be worth to give it a try.
Thank you. I did stop by at the SVC today. The mech did mention ECU could also be a possible culprit. Will wait and see what they come up with. Anyone know how much ECU could cost? What surprises me is that I seem to be the only one with this issue. The couple of issues I read about in the xbhp or KTM forums seemed to have been fixed by swapping fuses stupid. No such luck in my case
Old 24th August 2016, 18:39   #5749
BHPian

Update on the paint peel issue (ream rim)

Apparently, the paint peel on the rim was a manufacturing defect and the brake cleaner did not do any damage. The KTM svc got me a replacement rim under warranty in 2 days flat. New rim is fitted and I am a happy customer!

Kudos to KTM-Bajaj and the svc for their approach, the turn around time was very less!
Siddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 18:49   #5750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Update on the paint peel issue (ream rim)

Apparently, the paint peel on the rim was a manufacturing defect and the brake cleaner did not do any damage. The KTM svc got me a replacement rim under warranty in 2 days flat. New rim is fitted and I am a happy customer!

Kudos to KTM-Bajaj and the svc for their approach, the turn around time was very less!
Have you noticed any difference between the two?

The OE rim has balancing weights attached to it while the replacement do not have these. These do not make much of a difference in the real world though.
Old 24th August 2016, 19:06   #5751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Have you noticed any difference between the two?

The OE rim has balancing weights attached to it while the replacement do not have these. These do not make much of a difference in the real world though.
There is absolutely no difference between them, my OE rim din't have balancing weights (both front & rear). In fact, I noticed a lot of dukes at the svc without any weights on the rims. Strange but true Ideally with a one side disk on the rim, balancing is essential.
Old 24th August 2016, 19:41   #5752
Senior - BHPian

On the subject of rims, anyone heard further cases of alloys cracking / shattering to bits? I for one cannot recollect any in the last one year or so at least

Also, good to hear positive feedback on the service. A$$ can make or break a product. I myself am lucky to have found good, knowledgeable and helpful staff at the Gurgaon center
Old 24th August 2016, 21:00   #5753
BHPian

Quote:
There is absolutely no difference between them, my OE rim din't have balancing weights (both front & rear). In fact, I noticed a lot of dukes at the svc without any weights on the rims. Strange but true Ideally with a one side disk on the rim, balancing is essential.
My 2013 duke did not come with any weights on the rim. No issues. Clocked about 26k kms so far.
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 21:41   #5754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
On the subject of rims, anyone heard further cases of alloys cracking / shattering to bits? I for one cannot recollect any in the last one year or so at least
I have heard about a few incidents. One of my friends cracked the front rim two weeks ago on a 15 390
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 22:41   #5755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I have heard about a few incidents. One of my friends cracked the front rim two weeks ago on a 15 390
Yikes! Hope your friend's Ok

Any details available like how fast was he riding, hit a pothole / rock / whatever

Surprisingly, my 2014 Duke has taken a lot of nasty hits. There is a slight bent at the lip but nothing that upsets the performance even at its top speed. Have completed over 25K kms
Old 24th August 2016, 22:46   #5756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He seems to have subtlety suggested replacing the ABS until at a whooping cost of 30k!
My friend's 2013 Duke has been diagnosed with an ABS sensor problem, but the symptoms are not even remotely close.
His speedo developed a problem where in the speeds are displayed in multiples of 7. The speedo was swapped, but the problem didn't go away. Ultimately, they traced it down to the ABS sensor. He got a quote of Rs.40k for the replacement, but the SA has promised to get it done as a "goodwill gesture".

Try your luck.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 23:27   #5757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Yikes! Hope your friend's Ok

Any details available like how fast was he riding, hit a pothole / rock / whatever

Surprisingly, my 2014 Duke has taken a lot of nasty hits. There is a slight bent at the lip but nothing that upsets the performance even at its top speed. Have completed over 25K kms
It happened at night when he hit a pothole. Don't know at what speed though.

My 13 bike has taken a few hits so far since i used to ride a lot at night. Haven't cracked or bent anything yet. Maybe i was lucky
Old 24th August 2016, 23:59   #5758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
#Duke 390 ABS issue
my 2013 make 390 has developed an issue with the ABS. The ABS light stays on all though. THe bike does slide under hard breaking. So the ABS is definitely not working like it should. It was intermittent initially but in a couple of days, ABS light staying on was more or less a permanent affair. I took it to KTM hopefarm. He test rode the bike but could not necessarily nail the cause. The guy disconnected and reconnected the front and rear sensors, did another test ride and handed the bike over to me. The issue seemed to have vanished ...
I believe the mechanic hit on the problem.

When the motorcycle ignition is first turned on, while the ECU is booting up it is doing checks of all of the sensors on the motorcycle.

Among these are the ABS wheel sensors.

If there is a poor connection in one of the wiring connectors the computer will recognize it as a ABS fault and keep the ABS light on.

My suggestion would be for you to buy a small tube of Dielectric grease and some electrical contact cleaner. If you have a Auto Supply store near you, they should have these products.

Find the sensors and follow the wires to the place where they plug in to the wiring harness.
Carefully disconnect them. (Most will have a small locking tab on them. Slightly bending the tab will release the two parts of the connector.)

Thoroughly clean the bare metal contacts to remove any dirt or corrosion that may have developed on these. (If you can't find electrical contact cleaner, the job can be done with Denatured Alcohol. Do not use water, diesel fuel, kerosene, paint thinner or any similar fluid.)

With the contacts clean, lightly apply a very thin coating of the Dielectric grease to them and also to the areas of the connector that will be touching when it is reassembled.
The idea here is to make the contacts and connector as water proof as possible.

Hopefully, after reconnecting the connectors, the problem will be gone.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 25th August 2016 at 00:00.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 10:19   #5759
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
When you get new rim, kindly balance both the wheels. It helps a lot during high speeds. I have witnessed in my friends bike without weights and seems to wobble a bit.

Quote:
My 2013 duke did not come with any weights on the rim. No issues. Clocked about 26k kms so far.
Provided you're running on Metz. If no, please do it immediately. Each tyre has different weights. It is advised to do wheel balancing after swapping new tyres
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 13:27   #5760
BHPian

Noted. Not sure if anyone does balancing for bikes around here. Will check with the svc. Been running on Michelin for close to 6k kms.

Most Viewed