Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 15:29   #5761
CGB
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Noted. Not sure if anyone does balancing for bikes around here. Will check with the svc. Been running on Michelin for close to 6k kms.
Do look for them. Bangalore has many. Even i shifted from Metz to Michelin street pilot 2. Michelins are way heavier than Metz and i hope you would've felt the same. Get it done and post your updates.
Old 25th August 2016, 23:24   #5762
BHPian

My Duke 390 does not start

Last I rode my Duke 390 was in March this year and since then it was parked in the garage. I had ridden for about 15 km after the low fuel warning came on and thought I'll refill the next time I took it out. However, for some personal reasons I wasn't able to ride it after that.

Last week, I took out the bike and tried to start it, nothing happened. Took out the battery and recharged it at a local battery dealer. He said the battery was weak, the same was shown on his rig. On the subsequent cranks, voltage was going down.

Put the charged battery back in and the bike started on the first try itself. I warmed up the bike and low fuel warning reminded me to tank up immediately. So I went straight to the bunk and filled a full tank of gas.

After the refill, I tried to start the bike a few times, failed to start. Pushed the bike back to my house and removed the battery. I suspected battery might be the culprit and decided to buy a new one.

Then, I bought a new battery from the dealer. Put this one in and tried to start the bike, it fails to fire up! I'm still seeing the low fuel warning and despite tilting the bike either ways, not a single bar on the fuel gauge lights up. Any idea what could be wrong?
Old 26th August 2016, 17:12   #5763
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Duke 390 does not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
Last I rode my Duke 390 was in March this year and since then it was parked in the garage.
Then, I bought a new battery from the dealer. Put this one in and tried to start the bike, it fails to fire up! I'm still seeing the low fuel warning and despite tilting the bike either ways, not a single bar on the fuel gauge lights up. Any idea what could be wrong?
This is primarily due to the sticky float in the fuel tank. Fuel on the float sensor tends to gum up if not activated for longer duration of time. This happened to my bike too when I had a viral fever last year and the bike was parked for over 4 months with only cranking up the engine on a weekly basis.
When I took my bike on a ride after that, it showed up a similar behavior. After a couple of days, the fuel gauge became normal again. If you can get the float sensor assembly removed and cleaned, that will help it start working normally again. Or if you don't want to get this done, fill the bike with half tank of fuel and allow to splash around. That might loosen up the gumming on the float sensor.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 18:59   #5764
BHPian

Quote:
#Duke 390 ABS issue
my 2013 make 390 has developed an issue with the ABS. The ABS light stays on all though. THe bike does slide under hard breaking. So the ABS is definitely not working like it should. It was intermittent initially but in a couple of days, ABS light staying on was more or less a permanent affair. I took it to KTM hopefarm. He test rode the bike but could not necessarily nail the cause. The guy disconnected and reconnected the front and rear sensors, did another test ride and handed the bike over to me. The issue seemed to have vanished until it sprung up again within 10 kms. The bike is now in KTM marathahalli. The bike is still at the SVC
Update. Received a call from the SVC today. The technician informed me that the ABS pump is faulty. They changed the speed sensors but that did not seem to help. They did air out the break lines and replace the oil. Error code on diagnostic tool was 1505 pump issue or something like that. I will be picking up the bike tomorrow without replacing the abs pump. They said that the pump and Ecu come us a single unit and would cost 35k to replace. Will get the bike home first and look for alternate options. Not having abs is not an option.

The batter has not been replaced in 2 years. With the load from dual horns and spot beams, I am suspecting that the battery is not able to supply enough juice to the Ecu. Only a hunch. Svc mentioned that they checked the battery and all is fine but I am doubting that claim. I will keep you guys posted on the success of the battery experiment. Ciao!!

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th September 2016 at 13:57. Reason: See mod note
Endless.... is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th August 2016, 13:12   #5765
BHPian

Quote:
Update. Received a call from the SVC today. The technician informed me that the ABS pump is faulty. They changed the speed sensors but that did not seem to help. They did air out the break lines and replace the oil. Error code on diagnostic tool was 1505 pump issue or something like that. I will be picking up the bike tmrw without replacing the abs pump. They said that the pump and Ecu come us a single unit and would cost 35k to replace. Will get the bike home first and look for alternate options. Not having abs is not an option.

The batter has not been replaced in 2 years. With the load from dual horns and spot beams, I am suspecting that the battery is not able to supply enough juice to the Ecu. �� Only a hunch. Svc mentioned that they checked the battery and all is fine but I am doubting that claim. I will keep you guys posted on the success of the battery experiment. Ciao!!
Got the battery checked. Seems fine. Abs continues to act up. Not having abs seems to be playing on my mind while riding. Takes the joy away a bit.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th September 2016 at 13:57. Reason: Emoji
Old 27th August 2016, 22:02   #5766
BHPian

Re: My Duke 390 does not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
This is primarily due to the sticky float in the fuel tank. Fuel on the float sensor tends to gum up if not activated for longer duration of time. This happened to my bike too when I had a viral fever last year and the bike was parked for over 4 months with only cranking up the engine on a weekly basis.
When I took my bike on a ride after that, it showed up a similar behavior. After a couple of days, the fuel gauge became normal again. If you can get the float sensor assembly removed and cleaned, that will help it start working normally again. Or if you don't want to get this done, fill the bike with half tank of fuel and allow to splash around. That might loosen up the gumming on the float sensor.
I tried the method you suggested today by having half tank fuel and splashing around vigorously. Keeping the fuel cap lid open, switched the ignition ON and put the bike on side stand for about 10 min to see if the low fuel warning goes away. No, it still shows trip F as 0.0 and not a single bar on the gauge comes up. Bike just cranks and doesn't fire up. Tried it with fuel lid closed as well, nothing seems to work.

I'm thinking to bump start the bike (not sure if it's going to work?) and take it straight to the service center to check the sensor assembly. Any more ideas? Just trying to see if I can escape towing the bike.
Old 29th August 2016, 11:12   #5767
BHPian

Quote:
Update. Received a call from the SVC today. The technician informed me that the ABS pump is faulty. They changed the speed sensors but that did not seem to help. They did air out the break lines and replace the oil. Error code on diagnostic tool was 1505 pump issue or something like that. I will be picking up the bike tmrw without replacing the abs pump. They said that the pump and Ecu come us a single unit and would cost 35k to replace. Will get the bike home first and look for alternate options. Not having abs is not an option.

The batter has not been replaced in 2 years. With the load from dual horns and spot beams, I am suspecting that the battery is not able to supply enough juice to the Ecu. 🤔 Only a hunch. Svc mentioned that they checked the battery and all is fine but I am doubting that claim. I will keep you guys posted on the success of the battery experiment. Ciao!!
ABS Pump and ECU coming as a single unit does not make sense to me, please try to get it checked from another service station. Also, see if replacing the battery fixes it, this could be done by a temporary replacement instead of buying a new one.
Old 29th August 2016, 11:40   #5768
BHPian

^may I also suggest getting a full check done on the wiring as well? Could be a case of pests playing foul on wiring. I remember reading about mice messing with abs wires. Sometimes it's the simple stuff which may lead to the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
ABS Pump and ECU coming as a single unit does not make sense to me, please try to get it checked from another service station. Also, see if replacing the battery fixes it, this could be done by a temporary replacement instead of buying a new one.
I got the battery checked. No issues there. Seems to be holding charge like it should. About the abs unit, probably gonna take the bike to IndiMotard for a full wiring check.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th September 2016 at 13:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 23:37   #5769
BHPian

Just wondering if anyone here have managed to bump (push) start the bike provided the battery is in a proper working condition at any point of time during their ownership? I see contrasting experiences posted over the net, few of them managing to start the bike on 2nd gear around 25 kmph speed, while many others have failed and said it's not going to work.
Old 31st August 2016, 02:21   #5770
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless the rider is going to jump onto the moving motorcycle so his weight helps the rear wheel gain traction, IMO, 3rd gear would be a better choice than 2nd gear for bump starting the engine.

There is less chance of the rear tyre breaking loose and skidding as it tries to spin the engine with the motorcycle in a higher gear.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 13:23   #5771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
Just wondering if anyone here have managed to bump (push) start the bike provided the battery is in a proper working condition at any point of time during their ownership? I see contrasting experiences posted over the net, few of them managing to start the bike on 2nd gear around 25 kmph speed, while many others have failed and said it's not going to work.
Jump starting does work if the battery has just enough charge to run the bike. Once in a group ride, the stator coil of my 390 decided to give up and stranded me in the middle of nowhere 60+kms away from svc. We swapped the batteries with another 390 and continued the ride. The other bike which had my almost dead battery but a working stator coil was jump started in 3rd gear on an incline.

After a few minutes riding in the night my battery went flat again. Since we were close to a ktm showroom we tried to get the bike there. But jump starting didn't work at all that time because the battery had no charge to run the fuel pump. We had to push the bike all the way
Old 31st August 2016, 13:26   #5772
BHPian

Posting a recent issue noticed with my Duke 200 on this thread since this is the most active Duke thread on TBHP. Mods please merge to appropriate thread if required.

Recently I have noticed oil leakage from Engine block. See photos.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20160830_090229.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20160830_090235.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20160830_090242.jpg

During the recent Duke Orange ride a fellow Duke 200 owner mentioned his bike also had same issue and he got it fixed from Service center.
Basically the engine cover seal is not properly applied and due to heat, oil leaks from the gaps.

Checked with my friends D200 (purchased together with me) and his bike also have the same issue.

How serious is the problem?

Has anyone found same issue with D390?
Old 31st August 2016, 14:26   #5773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
During the recent Duke Orange ride a fellow Duke 200 owner mentioned his bike also had same issue and he got it fixed from Service center.
Basically the engine cover seal is not properly applied and due to heat, oil leaks from the gaps.
Seems to be a head gasket leak. Not quite serious as long as you monitor the oil level, but better to replace asap. My 390's head gasket was replaced once.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 14:49   #5774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Seems to be a head gasket leak. Not quite serious as long as you monitor the oil level, but better to replace asap. My 390's head gasket was replaced once.
Thankfully, hasn't happened so far in my royal enfield yet. And I was hoping to replace my bird with the duke.
Old 31st August 2016, 14:55   #5775
BHPian

Quote:

The batter has not been replaced in 2 years. With the load from dual horns and spot beams, I am suspecting that the battery is not able to supply enough juice to the Ecu. 🤔 Only a hunch. Svc mentioned that they checked the battery and all is fine but I am doubting that claim. I will keep you guys posted on the success of the battery experiment. Ciao!!
The Service centre guys are taking you for a ride. The ecu and pump are available separately and i am not sure how come they came to a total price of 35k. The ECU is for around 9k as the same was changed on my bike under warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks