Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:08   #5896
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
I am waiting for KTM 390 2017 version. Probably it will be launched in next 2-3 months.
Need a bike mainly for long touring purposes and occasional city rides.

My only question to the owners is that how does the bike performs from touring point of view. And mainly keeping the seating posture and riding comfort in mind. Is it uncomfortable on long rides or a bit of physical fitness will be tested :-)

I should not dare to ask how good the bike is as far its power is concerned :-).
May be a wrong thread to ask , but can I consider the Dominar.
The new 390 is not yet out so its difficult to comment on its capablity as a tourer. Let me share my experience based on my first gen 390. I have done a few longish rides (bangalore-kerela types) on my 390. This bike is not ideal for touring our road conditions, although it does not fare bad. what we need to covering long distance in India is comfortable suspension, decent wind protection, decent power and torque figures, good enough tank range, some luggage carrying capability, and depending on case pillion friendly seat. 390 is good as long as roads are good, once you get onto broken country roads and state highways, the hard suspension shows on the body. The rear set footpegs can be a pain towards the end of a riding day. Tank range is also slight bother and some mods are required for wind-protection. But its not at all suited for pillion, and with some frame and stays, one can make it suitable for carrying saddle bags. No personal experience with Dominar as well, but i feel it should fare better then 390 for long distance touring, barring power figures. appears to be more relaxed, more comfortable posture, better pillion seat, better tank range, with ABS, slipper clutch, LED headlamp, etc. That too at a very attractive price. Test both of the back to back and take your pick.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 22nd December 2016 at 12:14.
nasirkaka is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:56   #5897

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
The new 390 is not yet out so its difficult to comment on its capablity as a tourer.

Sometimes it is strange that how strangers exactly understand your question.
You exactly answered the queries I asked for though I did not mention the factors explicitly.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2016 at 08:36. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Roadilicious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:52   #5898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes it is strange that how strangers exactly understand your question.
You exactly answered the queries I asked for though I did not mention the factors explicitly.
Aiyoo!! we are not strangers on teambhp but connected & related through our common love for bikes/travel (and cars).
Old 23rd December 2016, 21:55   #5899
BHPian

Finally, got my coolant leakage issue solved from ktm andheri. Glad to hear that there was nothing major, the radiator had air in it so the coolant level was dropping. I was worried about the coolant mixing with the engine oil.
Rohitj92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 09:34   #5900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA09_BIKER_GPER View Post
I have a 2016 Duke 390 and it comes with headlight always ON feature. I'm getting quite annoyed these days as everyone is trying to signal me to turn OFF my headlight

The headlight is pretty bright during day time and easily catches the attention of on coming traffic.

I understand the tremendous impact it has on safety by making others aware of my presence but this feature is of no use in slow moving city traffic

Is there any way to turn it OFF like how the ABS can be turned OFF ?

I don't want to mess around with the wiring as it voids warranty.
Most developed countries require that motorcycle lights stay on all the time. My 1999 and 2004 bikes in the USA both had these daytime running lights as it was required by law.

Yes, it is irritating when people stick their arms out, especially if from a vehicle coming in the opposite direction -- my impulse is to assume they are going to turn right in front of me leading me to hit the brakes.

I find it funny that Indian drivers are the most considerate to let you know you have your headlights one, but most inconsiderate in almost every other way.

"Numerous studies done worldwide since the 1970s have tended to conclude that daytime running lights improve safety"
bdman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 19:05   #5901
Senior - BHPian

Quick update on the Ka, my D390. Got a top case for my beast. Thanks to mobike008 for his review of the Coocase top case and one of my friend from the local gang who showed me the rack manufacture by Sahyadri.

Got the top case from Mumbai through a contact of mobike008 about 4 months ago but did not have time and patience to sit and get the rack done for the top case. Fast forward to end of November and a friend from the Kriegers club posted a few pics on WA group on the top case rack by a Mumbai based fabricator, Sahyadri. Called them up and the ball set rolling faster from here. Upon my request, the existing rack was modified to accommodate the Coocase reflex V50 top case. Delivery was promised in 10 days and I received the rack in 14 days barring a minor delay in powder coating process at the end. The rack is top notch finished with all the openings blocked to avoid water entering the tubular frame. I also ordered the side stays to allow the load coming onto the rack to be distributed. Fixing was a simple DIY stuff and was completed in 2 days. Let the pics do the talking now.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161221_163136_burst1.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161221_170151_burst1.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161221_170201_burst1.jpg

The cover also fits the rack like a glove.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161221_173728_burst1.jpg

Now for the top case photos

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161222_160011_burst1.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161222_160025_hdr.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161222_160043_hdr.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161222_160052_hdr.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161222_160114_burst1.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161222_160203_burst1.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161222_160222_burst1.jpg
unk9ja is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 12:43   #5902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
This is an endless chain and does not come with the link. So you need to slacken the chain tension, remove the rear wheel and then take the chain out.

Due to the high torque generated, the chain is made endless. The link would be the weakest part and would snap in case of failure. with the endless feature, the entire chain wil have a similar strength.
Thanks for the info again! By the Way, if anyone is thinking of getting the tail tidy for Duke 390 from Autologue, please refrain from getting one costing Rs 5500, since even though their customer interactions are great, the product is not up to the mark. Although i got the initial product replaced due to it being faulty, the replacement tidy was also not good. It has got lot of gaps and does not fit well into the rest of the tail housing of the Duke. Rainy season will for sure put your ECU and other wiring at risk. I can upload some pics if anyone wants to take a look at them.
Old 26th December 2016, 05:58   #5903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick update on the Ka, my D390. Got a top case for my beast. Thanks to mobike008 for his review of the Coocase top case and one of my friend from the local gang who showed me the rack manufacture by Sahyadri.

Got the top case from Mumbai through a contact of mobike008 about 4 months ago but did not have time and patience to sit and get the rack done for the top case.
Snip...

Good looking case. I think you get all the functionality of the Givi at a fraction of the cost. (how much did the whole set up cost, btw?)

Small suggestion since you have fabricated the frame for the box - please add a cross brace that goes under the tail and is anchored on the bolt underneath. Will improve stiffness and load capacity. Think my ownership report has images of the Givi rack.

The current setup is cantilevered and will develop cracks over time even on good roads.
Old 26th December 2016, 16:17   #5904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Good looking case. I think you get all the functionality of the Givi at a fraction of the cost. (how much did the whole set up cost, btw?)

Small suggestion since you have fabricated the frame for the box - please add a cross brace that goes under the tail and is anchored on the bolt underneath. Will improve stiffness and load capacity. Think my ownership report has images of the Givi rack.

The current setup is cantilevered and will develop cracks over time even on good roads.
Thanks, sridhu. The breakup is top case: 8700 + shipping 1300 = 10k. Rack and the side stays setup cost me another 5.5k, both delivered to my home. Total of 15.5k which I think is okish.

Your suggestions are taken. I will try to find out ways to stiffen the setup. I have been running this since 2 days on all type of roads and find the box and the rack soaking up quite well. No creaks or sign of fasteners getting loosened.
Old 27th December 2016, 11:31   #5905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The breakup is top case: 8700 + shipping 1300 = 10k. Rack and the side stays setup cost me another 5.5k, both delivered to my home. Total of 15.5k which I think is okish.
Hey thats a very impressive job of fitting the top case. As suggested by Sridhu, a cross member will make the frame fool-proof.
Just wanted to know who is making these frame? where did you source it from? I am not looking for a luggage from for my 390, but would like to check the feasibility of a similar frame for the versys 650. If the vendor can make it, a lot of versys rides would be very much interested, as the branded luggage frames from manufacturers like hepco&becker, touratech, Swmotech, etc are frighteningly expensive. Let me know the source. Thanks!!
Old 27th December 2016, 12:01   #5906
BHPian

Anyone here tried engine ice coolant?

My duke heats up in traffic and the fan is almost continuously working. The temperature never crosses 8 bar though. If I switch her off and turn back on, the temperature is 2 bars higher. I was wondering if engine ice would make the engine run cooler, I read on a few other forums that the fan running time was drastically reduced (almost 50%) & the coolant temperature is almost 10 degrees cooler/lesser. Less heat = more bhp's!
Appreciate any information from fellow dukers!
Old 27th December 2016, 19:27   #5907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Just wanted to know who is making these frame? where did you source it from?
Nasirkaka, this is made by Sahyadri Adventure Motorcycling Accessories in Mumbai. They have a FB page and are very prompt at answering your queries. They can fabricate according to your requirements, but only catch is you need to provide them with a bike for measurements. With a rare breed like Versys, it is difficult to fabricate with dimensions on paper. In fact, a fellow HD rider here had asked for a rack for his 750 was met with the same answer.

You can call, message or WA them on +919969709615 for your requirements. Since there are a lot of Versys in Mumbai, they can get it done easily if anyone volunteers for the measurements.

Following are the fabrication done by them.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20161208wa0025.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20161208wa0026.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20161208wa0027.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20161129wa0005.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20161129wa0004.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20161219wa0024.jpg

Mods please note that I have no personal interest in the above deals and this is only for the information of fellow Bhpians.
unk9ja is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 20:30   #5908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nasirkaka, this is made by Sahyadri Adventure Motorcycling Accessories in Mumbai. .
Those risers look fantastic. Very similar to the Rox pivoting risers. Are you using them? This should be a standard fit for the 22 mm handle bar. Someone told me that vibrations might increase because off the overhang at the top. Is this unfounded theory?

I need a set of 2 inch risers that pivot. I've seen some for 30USD on aliexpress/ebay but I am worried about the vibration bit.

Sahyadri (love the name) seem to be THE go-to guys for this kind of stuff. That engine guard looks fantastic for the duke.
Old 28th December 2016, 14:14   #5909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nasirkaka, this is made by Sahyadri Adventure Motorcycling Accessories in Mumbai. They have a FB page and are very prompt at answering your queries. They can fabricate according to your requirements, but only catch is you need to provide them with a bike for measurements. With a rare breed like Versys, it is difficult to fabricate with dimensions on paper. In fact, a fellow HD rider here had asked for a rack for his 750 was met with the same answer.

You can call, message or WA them on +919969709615 for your requirements. Since there are a lot of Versys in Mumbai, they can get it done easily if anyone volunteers for the measurements.
Thanks for the detailed info. These guys look good to be able to do a neat job. As for a donor bike for measuring, there are loads of versys in Mumbai and we are all connected through a pan India whatsapp group. Hoping someone there will oblige to lend bike for measurements. Let me explore this further, Thanks again for all the info.
Old 29th December 2016, 07:57   #5910
BHPian

How does one adjust engine idle speed on a Duke 390?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks