Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 20:18   #601
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Well based on my discussion yesterday with the dealer here, there were some problems at the Chakkan plant which were resulting in the delays of bike delivery. This has been addressed now and the delivery of bikes will be fast paced in next couple of months. Also there may be an increase in the price of the D390 by Diwali which was suspected from the dealer.
Old 17th September 2013, 12:51   #602

I have yet to do a test ride of this bike. I will do so next week, as I have been getting calls from KTM dealer in Noida.
I have two questions,
Do we have an aftermarket seat available to seat 2 (Rider + Pillion) in relative comfort?
Is there an aftermarket tank available OR possible in future with larger fuel capacity? I am really looking at a 400 Kms range under "normal conditions".
Old 17th September 2013, 13:31   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do we have an aftermarket seat available to seat 2 (Rider + Pillion) in relative comfort?
Is there an aftermarket tank available OR possible in future with larger fuel capacity? I am really looking at a 400 Kms range under "normal conditions".

I doubt if anyone would do this. This is mostly a solo rider with the current rear space that will be used for luggage.

And the Tank, probably you can fabricate one with your local fabricator but there are pro's and cons for the same.

These days highways have a Fuel station every 20 odd kms. Just make use of it and avoid the need to ride the bike below reserve.

Quote:
Well based on my discussion yesterday with the dealer here, there were some problems at the Chakkan plant which were resulting in the delays of bike delivery. This has been addressed now and the delivery of bikes will be fast paced in next couple of months
Thats the latest innovative way to convince a customer. This chakkan plant is operational for all the while This sudden problem this guy is quoting is all a bull. They just didnt predict the time to deliver as effectively and they did not plan to ship any local bookings till mid of september.

You will see that all bookings will be closed prior to october end for they now understand the pressure from local buyers.

Last edited by VW2010 : 17th September 2013 at 13:34.
Old 17th September 2013, 13:40   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysk View Post
Not available off the shelf. Best you can do is add a layer of foam for a softer saddle.
Quote:
With 400kms range you are talking about a capacity of around 20Ltrs. It is not available as of now, neither aftermarket nor powerparts. Future possibility? Cant expect such a change/addon anywhere in the distant future as KTM has portrayed the Duke duo strictly as street bikes and not a tourer.
Old 17th September 2013, 14:10   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Not available off the shelf. Best you can do is add a layer of foam for a softer saddle.
Please do not ruin the perfect (and very expensive) saddles by adding cheap quality aftermarket foam. The rider saddle is better than a stock Bullet saddle for long days.

Quote:
With 400kms range you are talking about a capacity of around 20Ltrs. It is not available as of now, neither aftermarket nor powerparts. Future possibility? Cant expect such a change/addon anywhere in the distant future as KTM has portrayed the Duke duo strictly as street bikes and not a tourer.
Regardless. The fact is that bikes like these will see more highway miles than in-city. The Dukes (esp the 390) need better tank range. No two ways about it. Even if you have fuel stations available, at the end of the day it is a pain to stop and fill (esp. when fully geared) every 200 kms. And when you hit the hills, you get into a situation of having to carry extra fuel (5-10 liters - depending on vagaries of en route fuel pump availabilty status) and that is always a logistical issue you have to tackle.
Old 17th September 2013, 14:23   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Please do not ruin the perfect (and very expensive) saddles by adding cheap quality aftermarket foam. The rider saddle is better than a stock Bullet saddle for long days.
Personally, even I feel that stiffer seats are better for touring as it allows a bit more air around your rear end. But There is simply no other suggestion that can be given for people who think otherwise!

Quote:
And when you hit the hills, you get into a situation of having to carry extra fuel (5-10 liters - depending on vagaries of en route fuel pump availabilty status) and that is always a logistical issue you have to tackle.
True to that too. But still, getting a bigger tank from KTM is just out of question now! We are left with absolutely no other choice as of now! And yes, I see more and more dukes now loaded up with tail bags and saddlebags on the wheekend runs.
Old 17th September 2013, 14:26   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
It depends on person to person .For me it was pain to ride more than 50 -60 kms . I had to cushion and foam the seat and now its 75 % OK . It can be improved further .
Old 17th September 2013, 16:35   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
It depends on person to person .For me it was pain to ride more than 50 -60 kms . I had to cushion and foam the seat and now its 75 % OK . It can be improved further .
Agreed. Can you show us what your seats look like now post the mods please? Also, did you manage to get the same cover material when you padded your seats, or used different rexine? There is a friend who is 5' 3" and wants to scoop out the foam and reduce the height on the 390, so asking for him.

Last edited by ebonho : 17th September 2013 at 16:37.
Old 17th September 2013, 17:56   #609
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from the Mekhri Circle KTM, Bangalore about an hour ago. Deliveries of the second batch starting. Have been called for completing the formalities. On road price is 213XXX odd INR.
The store have indeed kept up their word of delivering the bike within 90 days.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 18:47   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Got a call from the Mekhri Circle KTM, Bangalore about an hour ago. Deliveries of the second batch starting. Have been called for completing the formalities. On road price is 213XXX odd INR.
The store have indeed kept up their word of delivering the bike within 90 days.
What is your booking number I think for the first few they would be able to meet the 90 day promise
Old 17th September 2013, 21:37   #611
Senior - BHPian

Bike delivered this evening from btm ktm.

First impressions, engine feels too tight got the rear suspension hardened as it was way softer than the 200.

Needs to really free up.
Psycho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 21:46   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Bike delivered this evening from btm ktm.

First impressions, engine feels too tight got the rear suspension hardened as it was way softer than the 200.

Needs to really free up.
Congratulations Psycho. Where are the pictures? Any mods planned?

Btw, did you arrive from somewhere by air this Sunday late night, wearing a red t shirt?

MaSh
Old 17th September 2013, 22:14   #613
Senior - BHPian

Yes I did, came in from Delhi. I will put up pics in the morning. Night snaps will do no justice
Old 18th September 2013, 09:42   #614
Senior - BHPian

Here is the pic of the bike. Not too clean due to the rains

Name:  ForumRunner_20130918_094224.png
Views: 1685
Size:  475.2 KB
Psycho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 10:29   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Here is the pic of the bike. Not too clean due to the rains

Attachment 1139957
Congratulations on your D390.

I see that the knuckle guards missing on both yours and sriram's bike.
Weren't those part of standard accessory from Bajaj?

Any bikes delivered from Langford/Marathalli/Indiranagar KTM?

Most Viewed