Team-BHP > Motorbikes


Reply
  Search this Thread
3,722,603 views
Old 9th February 2018, 13:37   #6136
Distinguished - BHPian
 
PrasannaDhana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: TRICHY - TN
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 18,582 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Or wait out for the new R3?
New BS4 R3 launched at 3.48 ex showroom. Gets Dual channel ABS and Metzelers. I guess you should get it eyes closed
PrasannaDhana is offline  
Old 14th February 2018, 13:32   #6137
BHPian
 
lark63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 118
Thanked: 87 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Can somebody tell me the preferred battery for D390. Mine is taking multiple efforts to crank. I guess I have to replace the old battery.
lark63 is offline  
Old 14th February 2018, 15:52   #6138
BHPian
 
timuseravan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 616
Thanked: 1,064 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
Can somebody tell me the preferred battery for D390. Mine is taking multiple efforts to crank. I guess I have to replace the old battery.
The official recommended one is Excide.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 16:28   #6139
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 2,993 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
Can somebody tell me the preferred battery for D390. Mine is taking multiple efforts to crank. I guess I have to replace the old battery.
Exide is the OE supplier to the KTM's. I have replaced mine a couple of months ago from Mekhri circle SVC for 2106 INR. It is half an hour job with the acid being added to the battery and left for sometime before it is mounted onto the bike.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20170308_153357_hdr.jpg

This is the stock battery which lasted around 3 years and 8 months.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 08:18   #6140
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 199
Thanked: 138 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
Can somebody tell me the preferred battery for D390. Mine is taking multiple efforts to crank. I guess I have to replace the old battery.
I have replaced my 2014 battery to EXIDE XLTZ-9 8 Ah for 2000 rs
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-xltz9exideoriginalimaegfj3kf7gm7p6.jpeg  

slalom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 12:05   #6141
Distinguished - BHPian
 
PrasannaDhana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: TRICHY - TN
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 18,582 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Not sure, but I can see neither the oil level nor the coolant level from the window they've provided. Bike runs fine though.
Not sure about placement of coolant tank in Duke 390, but in my RC the coolant tank is prominent and easily visible, with the bright green coolant level prominently showing.
PrasannaDhana is offline  
Old 3rd March 2018, 14:21   #6142
BHPian
 
ashwin1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 271
Thanked: 520 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Has anyone tried lowering the footpegs on the 390? Mine is lifted at front by about 2 inches using fork spacers and I have clearance to drop the pegs by around 30mm.
ashwin1224 is offline  
Old 8th March 2018, 10:47   #6143
Senior - BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Stickn' Around
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 2,872 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
Can somebody tell me the preferred battery for D390. Mine is taking multiple efforts to crank. I guess I have to replace the old battery.
The stock battery that comes with the bike is of black color and Exide sourced, the OE supplier of the battery. Recently, the Dukes from the factory come from RED color battery, so it's just a matter of color.

Secondly, you also have SF Sonic MK1440-TZ9 (8 Ah) that is available for Duke as a replacement to Exide. But, if you're skeptical about the longevity, stick to the stock FEXO-ETZ 9 (8ah) aka XLTZ-9

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 22:41   #6144
Senior - BHPian
 
Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,546
Thanked: 484 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Notice that many have faced issues in stalling when pulling the clutch (to downshift) when slowing down from higher rpm/speed and of course the famous JG_1.7.3 issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.monomaniacs.nl/tnt/KTM-690/Stalling-and-throttle-issues
The 'famous' 15 minute idle reset procedure. This resets the adaptive base values of the ECU. It won't transform the bike but it can make a worthwhile improvement. It is very important that the engine is stone cold. One or two hours after riding is not enough! Do this after the bike has been off for a full night or day. Start the engine and let it idle for 15 minutes without touching anything. After 15 minutes, switch the engine off with the ignition key. Done. During this procedure you won't see or hear anything happening besides the idling and (probably) the fan. Don't worry, the reset is done. Besides after certain maintenance or parts replacement, you could consider doing it twice a year with the turning of the seasons. A reset for the colder autumn & winter period and one time for warmer conditions during spring & summer. This is not mandatory or needed and don't expect miracles.
SOURCE: http://www.monomaniacs.nl/tnt/KTM-69...hrottle-issues

So some queries:
  • Has anyone tried the 15 minute ECU reset? If yes, was there any difference?
  • Did any of you bump the preload to its highest setting?
  • In the city, what would be the ideal tire pressure riding solo. Manual says 29 psi. What does experience say?
Gordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 12:51   #6145
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 16
Thanked: 8 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Dear BHPians,

I own a Sep 2016 Duke390. It has been everyday delight to ride this machine. So far, I have not felt any problems in my 18300 km ownership. Recently, I had my ride serviced, it was first paid service. After the service I discovered that coolant level has been going down, I got it topped couple of times but the level keeps going down. Water pump and water pump seal was changed as part of first trobleshooting session recently. Still the problem persists. After a ride of approx 150 km the level went down by 5 to 6 mm. I nčed to go for another round of diagnosis now. From my side,
I have gone through some of the earlier discussions on this forum and checked couple of points.

1. Engine oil colour - Got it checked by technician who mentioned the colour is ok and do not see any engine oil - coolant mix problem. He checked oil colour at the drainage plug point.

2. Frothing - I dont see any milky / white frothing from the oil observing glass. However, I do see dark brown froth inmediately after ride but it disappears when the bike is stand still for 15 seconds with engine running. Technician told me that, it could be because of water/water vapour but not coolant. I have attached a picture of the froth.

3. Coolant leakage - I tried to check if there are any signs of visible coolant leakage but could not find any.

4. Burnt coolant - There is no sweet smell of burnt coolant.

5. Exhaust check - Checked exhaust for any oil traces but it is clean and dry. Just 'traces' of black soot.

6. Radiator grill - I have attached a pic of radiator grill. Technician did not mention any problem with the grill so far but I do see linings bent. Can this be the cause of coolant disappearing?

There are 2 more points that I want to mention related to the last paid service -

1. Some oil seepage was there from the top of the engine. Some bolt was tightened to fix this. The oil seepage thing was fixed but I felt some sort of 'tighness' in the engine after this.

2. When the bike was started for the first time after the wash, there was 'white smoke' from exhaust. It disappeared when the service supervisor revved the engine. I have checked for white smoke again during the cold start but I do not see any smoke, white or blue.

Need some expert suggestion on what should I do next as Service centre guys are in trial and error mode.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-d390frothcolour.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20180314_113530.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20180314_113431.jpg  

ShashankM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 14:58   #6146
BHPian
 
timuseravan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 616
Thanked: 1,064 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShashankM View Post
1. Some oil seepage was there from the top of the engine. Some bolt was tightened to fix this. The oil seepage thing was fixed but I felt some sort of 'tighness' in the engine after this.

2. When the bike was started for the first time after the wash, there was 'white smoke' from exhaust. It disappeared when the service supervisor revved the engine. I have checked for white smoke again during the cold start but I do not see any smoke, white or blue.

Need some expert suggestion on what should I do next as Service centre guys are in trial and error mode.
Did you go to Orange KTM at Baner?
1. The seepage from engine head does happen. And the solution is to tighten the bolts.
2. Was the smoke coming from inside the exhaust or from outside? For some absolute brain dead reason, they washed my bikes engine, silencer, etc with diesel! And white smoke started coming when the engine got hot.

Sorry I cant help you with coolant leakage. Have you tried the SVC at Nal Stop?
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 15:22   #6147
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 16
Thanked: 8 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Did you go to Orange KTM at Baner?
1. The seepage from engine head does happen. And the solution is to tighten the bolts.
2. Was the smoke coming from inside the exhaust or from outside? For some absolute brain dead reason, they washed my bikes engine, silencer, etc with diesel! And white smoke started coming when the engine got hot.

Sorry I cant help you with coolant leakage. Have you tried the SVC at Nal Stop?
I went to Wagholi service centre for the servicing. They did tighten the bolt and there is no seepage since then. White smoke problem happened only once at the service centre when the bike was started after wash. It never happened again.
ShashankM is offline  
Old 14th March 2018, 15:58   #6148
BHPian
 
90Horses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Richmond
Posts: 132
Thanked: 96 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShashankM View Post
Dear BHPians,

I own a Sep 2016 Duke390. It has been everyday delight to ride this machine. So far, I have not felt any problems in my 18300 km ownership. Recently, I had my ride serviced, it was first paid service. After the service I discovered that coolant level has been going down, I got it topped couple of times but the level keeps going down. Water pump and water pump seal was changed as part of first trobleshooting session recently. Still the problem persists. After a ride of approx 150 km the level went down by 5 to 6 mm. I need to go for another round of diagnosis now.
Hey, I know a little about this coolant going low issue. Tell me one thing, as part of service was a Coolant Flush done?

If YES, then coolant level drop shall happen as the air gets trapped in the lines when a Coolant Flush was done, it takes time for the air to get released.

Do you know how many liters of Coolant was refilled? and How much is the bike Coolant tank capacity? You can do a quick check and find the delta coolant quantity to be refilled (probably over few days)
Wait for a week and always check the coolant level when the bike is in cold state, like first thing before you start the bike in the morning.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th March 2018 at 18:06. Reason: Trimming quoted text for benefit of small screen users
90Horses is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 19:04   #6149
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 16
Thanked: 8 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Hey, I know a little about this coolant going low issue. Tell me one thing, as part of service was a Coolant Flush done?

If YES, then coolant level drop shall happen as the air gets trapped in the lines when a Coolant Flush was done, it takes time for the air to get released.

Do you know how many liters of Coolant was refilled? and How much is the bike Coolant tank capacity? You can do a quick check and find the delta coolant quantity to be refilled (probably over few days)
Wait for a week and always check the coolant level when the bike is in cold state, like first thing before you start the bike in the morning.
Thanks 90Horse, coolant flush was done and finally the coolant was filled to half level between min-max. I have ridden for about 150 km since then and coolant level is now at minimum mark when I checked in morning after 2 days. I will top it up again once before going to service centre.
ShashankM is offline  
Old 15th March 2018, 00:52   #6150
Senior - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 1,422 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShashankM View Post
After the service I discovered that coolant level has been going down, I got it topped couple of times but the level keeps going down.
I borrowed a friend's 390 recently, and the bike was straight up spitting coolant all over the right side of the bike (and my leg). There was a leakage in the line supplying the engine and I heard it was a recurring issue. I can see how this info isn't a huge value add to your problem, but perhaps voicing it will catch the attention of other owners that are facing recurring issues and a solution can be found - I checked out of this 390 scene a while back when I sold mine, and haven't kept up with recent developments.
FlyingSpur is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks