Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2018, 13:50   #6196
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Office colleague dropped off his Duke for service at the BTM Layout KTM Service Centre in Bangalore for a front fork seal leakage.

After the got the bike back, he noticed the bike would shudder everytime he hit the front brakes. On closer inspection, found out that one of the front brake calliper bolts are missing!

Went to the same KTM service centre, they absolved themselves of any responsibility. And now they don't have stock of the bolt either.

Shocking irresponsibility from KTM's end.
BTM KTM is easily the worst KTM service center in Bangalore. Please check out Auto service at Banashankari 2nd stage for future services.
punterccrx8s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 22:22   #6197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
BTM KTM is easily the worst KTM service center in Bangalore. Please check out Auto service at Banashankari 2nd stage for future services.

Thank you!

I will let him know of Auto Service. This is the one with Venkat, I presume?
Old 2nd June 2018, 23:55   #6198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Did they provide the reason as why the oil level dropped?
No they did not but that is largely because I didn't have the time to spare for a full inspection . I simple refilled with new mobil and got the chain lubed.

The mechanic did cite some possible reasons -
1. First of , he said that the engine will burn around 50 ml of mobil every 1000 km . ( I was short by 200ml in 1500 km ).
2. Leakage outside .
3. Leakage inside to the combustion chamber resulting in vapourisation of mobil.

Surprisingly , I again received the high coolant warning during a ride today inspite of cool/cloudy weather in Kolkata so I suspect there is something seriously wrong with this bike ; the bike also felt rough inspite of the new engine oil - I rode around new town area with wide open roads and hence could gauge engine response better. I never received high coolant temp warning even once in past 3.5 years , it all started since last month.
Old 4th June 2018, 13:39   #6199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Thank you!

I will let him know of Auto Service. This is the one with Venkat, I presume?
Precisely. They are the best when it comes to service. Have tried the kasturba road and Btm. Kasturba road was ok. Btm Ktm is the worst when it comes to service.
punterccrx8s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 14:22   #6200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Precisely. They are the best when it comes to service. Have tried the kasturba road and Btm. Kasturba road was ok. Btm Ktm is the worst when it comes to service.

Thanks, man.

Will keep this in mind.
Old 13th June 2018, 01:44   #6201
BHPian

Anyone else felt that their motorcycle handling has deteriorated with time ?

Mine has 8000km on the odo and for the past few months , I have felt uncomfortable leaning beyond a certain point . More importantly the bike is almost impossible to control with a pillion at low speeds(it is effortless once speed crosses 30 ) even when said pillion weighs around 60 and clings to me like magnet . At speeds below 15 in bumper traffic , the motorcycle often pulls to one side and I find myself braking to a stop and physically turning the handle straight . Service centre said this is common in duke due to soft rear suspension and also my tyres are losing grip as per them .

This slow speed handling has been a source of massive embarrassment as one of date even wondered aloud whether I can ride a bike seeing as how I cannot keep the handle straight - this especially happens at traffic signals where the tarmac is already uneven .

Last edited by basuroy : 13th June 2018 at 01:47.
Old 13th June 2018, 08:58   #6202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Mine has 8000km on the odo and for the past few months , I have felt uncomfortable leaning beyond a certain point .
Some possible causes are wheel alignment gone out of whack, front forks mis-alignmnet, one of the forks is bust, bend in alloy wheel etc etc.
Impossible to say without proper diagnosis.

Quote:
Service centre said this is common in duke due to soft rear suspension.
What nonsense
Switch to a different SVC ASAP.
timuseravan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 09:26   #6203
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone else felt that their motorcycle handling has deteriorated with time ?

Mine has 8000km on the odo and for the past few months , I have felt uncomfortable leaning beyond a certain point . More importantly the bike is almost impossible to control with a pillion at low speeds(it is effortless once speed crosses 30 ) even when said pillion weighs around 60 and clings to me like magnet . At speeds below 15 in bumper traffic , the motorcycle often pulls to one side and I find myself braking to a stop and physically turning the handle straight . Service centre said this is common in duke due to soft rear suspension and also my tyres are losing grip as per them .

This slow speed handling has been a source of massive embarrassment as one of date even wondered aloud whether I can ride a bike seeing as how I cannot keep the handle straight - this especially happens at traffic signals where the tarmac is already uneven .
This is definitely a wheel alignment issue. Possibly the steering head has gotten loose. I had the same issue a while ago and it took repeated trips to the service center before they diagnosed it. The problem returned briefly and one of the forks needed replacement. Been fine since.
marcussantiago is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 04:45   #6204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Switch to a different SVC ASAP.
The nearest Service centre is 12km away from my home located outside the city bang in the middle of farmland . The other SVC is over 30km away - yes, this is the state of affair in Kolkata for a range of motorcycle that costs over 2 Lakh . I personally intend to sell my bike as this kind of service support is inexcusable . Bajaj , Enfield - every damn brand has multiple SVC within the heart of the city except KTM .

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
This is definitely a wheel alignment issue. Possibly the steering head has gotten loose. I had the same issue a while ago and it took repeated trips to the service center before they diagnosed it. The problem returned briefly and one of the forks needed replacement. Been fine since.
I think it is a combination of all those things including fork - since 5000 km onward , I have found my front forks too stiff ( there is barely any movement left in them ) . How much does it costs to replace a fork ? mine is over 3 years old so I guess there will be no free replacement . I had a major argument with Siliguri KTM over the forks last october(bike was within warranty back then) but they flat out refused to even acknowledge any issues .
Old 17th June 2018, 04:52   #6205
BHPian

More importantly , is it particularly dangerous to ride a bike with issues involving loose steering head /wheel alignment / fork issues ? I was personally thinking about doing another 1000-1500 km and then drop the bike for a thorough overhaul . I hate the ride to the SVC as it is located in an area best described as a village .

Speaking of loose steering head , can a regular mechanic/bajaj SVC fix it or is that something best done by the authorised SVC ?

Last edited by basuroy : 17th June 2018 at 04:53.
Old 20th June 2018, 21:34   #6206
BHPian

I'm converting my Duke 390 into a scrambler/ off roader. I've already made a ton of mods on the bike that include a powetronic, Zard Full system, KTM powerpart comfort seat, K and N filter, risers. But the most important mod is the one I made today. I installed the RE himalayan footpegs on my bike for the extra grip needed while riding trails.

On my ride to Rajmachi last week, I could not stand on the pegs as I kept slipping because of the mud. I'm hoping to put the pegs to test this Sunday and report back.

The pegs are not a direct fit and require a bit of engineering. The pegs cost me Rs. 650 and another few hundred rupees to fix them. It's one step closer to my scrambler vision.

Anyone here change their rims to spoke wheels? That's my next step. I'm looking at a 21/19 or a 19/17 setup.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_9145.jpg  

DrGonzo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 08:39   #6207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
I'm converting my Duke 390 into a scrambler/ off roader. I've already made a ton of mods on the bike that include a powetronic, Zard Full system, KTM powerpart comfort seat, K and N filter, risers. But the most important mod is the one I made today. I installed the RE himalayan footpegs on my bike for the extra grip needed while riding trails.
How are you finding the KTM powerpart comfort seat? And which risers are you using?
Also can you tell me from where you are getting the modifications done?
Old 21st June 2018, 09:01   #6208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
How are you finding the KTM powerpart comfort seat? And which risers are you using?
Also can you tell me from where you are getting the modifications done?
The KTM powerpart seat is way better than the OEM bum breaker. It is a little tall though. I got it for around $150 from US. Was wanting to get the rear as well but figured I'm not taking any pillion on this bike . I got 1 inch risers from Amazon, bikers billet or something. The bash plate is from Indimotard. The exhaust was fitted by my FNG. Took a bit of ingenuity as I got it used and was missing an attachment for the Duke. The foot pegs were done at Zubin Design and the scrambler conversion is also meant to be there.
DrGonzo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 15:36   #6209
BHPian

My bike during a 10km roundtrip to market started making a horrible sound from the front end - the noise is intermittent , lasts between 1-3 seconds and can be best described as either an electrical buzzing/static noise or cutting metal with a powertool . It is loud enough to be heard over traffic and made me ride my bike at below 20kmph speed ( it still made the noise ). No noise is heard during stops ; I also tried to violently compress my front fork but they made no sound at all .

In general , I have had the distinct feeling that my front wheel alignment is out of whack , the motorcycle is proving difficult to control at even slightly uneven roads( at lower speeds ) and today's experience has left be badly scarred as to whether I should even ride it to the service centre tomorrow or hire a small truck . It doesn't helps this is my only vehicle either :/

I don't think the noise is from the brake pad btw . The rear suspension also makes a hollow thumping sound ( noticed it since last 1 month or so ) while riding over big potholes .

BTW what can one expect for a october 2014 duke 390 that has so far clocked 8050km ? Is 1.5 L too much to ask for . The rear tyre still has another 2k left on it I guess . And noise asides , the engine is in top shape .

Last edited by basuroy : 23rd June 2018 at 15:39.
Old 23rd June 2018, 19:41   #6210
BHPian

KTM has initiated a recall for MY2017 Duke 390 under the guise of "Pre Monsoon Check". ECU mount replacement, headlight washer to prevent rattles and rear under seat damping to prevent tail light water entry is included.
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed