Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2018, 21:56   #6241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Checked the following today:
pulse generator resistance 0.390
Ignition connector voltage .200 (ignition on)
Ignition connector voltage .900 - 1.0 (while cranking)

Erased the fault codes and restarted the bike. I don't see any engine check light on the bike but the codes have reappeared.

The P0480 no longer appears.
Just the P1100 and P0000 appear now.
Not sure if the fault codes have really been erased.

I'm not sure if these readings are okay since there is no mention in the manuals.

Quite frustrated. Everything "seems" to be okay. But it dies.
As a last resort, I'd suggest you do the following and keep your observations jotted here.

Hold the throttle open
Turn on the ignition (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)
Keep the throttle open for 5 seconds
Close the throttle
The blink code is displayed in the dashboard

Now, the CEL light blinks in a certain order, long followed by short. Keep a tab on on the counts... one long and three short means, code 13; 4 long and 9 short means we have a fault code 49.

If there are no error codes, the CEL light stays on as it is without any indication.

Keep your observations posted, let's see how this story unfolds.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 20th August 2018 at 21:58.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 22:07   #6242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
As a last resort, I'd suggest you do the following and keep your observations jotted here.

Hold the throttle open
Turn on the ignition (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)
Keep the throttle open for 5 seconds
Close the throttle
The blink code is displayed in the dashboard

Now, the CEL light blinks in a certain order, long followed by short. Keep a tab on on the counts... one long and three short means, code 13; 4 long and 9 short means we have a fault code 49.

If there are no error codes, the CEL light stays on as it is without any indication.

Keep your observations posted, let's see how this story unfolds.

Cheers!
VJ
Tried it just now to jo avail. There was no blink code.
Old 24th August 2018, 22:39   #6243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Tried it just now to jo avail. There was no blink code.
All righty. I happen to re-read your post regarding the procedures carried out. Was the inline fuel filter changed when inspecting the fuel line pressure? How good is the spark plug cap, is it snug, it is loose. I'd suggest you start checking the spark plug cable, and see if it's properly attached to the spark plug cap and observe it for nicks. And also the connector that comes from the ECM, check how well the wires that are connected to the connector are.

Also, I'd suggest you to inspect the spark plug cable where it's attached to the ignition coil.

These might have been carried out, but you just might never know, the devil is in the details. Keep us posted.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 24th August 2018 at 22:41.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 22:21   #6244
BHPian

Guys, quick question.. have any of you installed a pair of LED auxiliary lights? If yes, where do you connect them? I have a pair of 20w led lights and I don't wish to splice any wires. KTM have just offered an additional year of warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1535561435743.jpg  

Last edited by anilupadhya : 29th August 2018 at 22:23.
Old 29th August 2018, 22:42   #6245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
Guys, quick question.. have any of you installed a pair of LED auxiliary lights? If yes, where do you connect them? I have a pair of 20w led lights and I don't wish to splice any wires. KTM have just offered an additional year of warranty.
Two ways you can get this done;

1. Fabricate an independent harness with a hidden switch under the seat.

2. Use a fuse tap and tap current from Ignition Fuse.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 11:49   #6246
BHPian

Quote:
Why not prepare a plug and play type of connector on your aux lights wire which can directly connect to the accessory port available under pillion seat? You won't need to cut any wires.

By the way, from where did you purchased these lights?
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 12:09   #6247
BHPian

Quote:
There is an accessory port in the headlamp assembly, please refer this post
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 12:13   #6248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Why not prepare a plug and play type of connector on your aux lights wire which can directly connect to the accessory port available under pillion seat? You won't need to cut any wires.

By the way, from where did you purchased these lights?
Got them on AliExpress. Was initially intended for my older Pulsar 220. But have not been able to go about fixing it.
Old 2nd September 2018, 21:41   #6249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two ways to do it. You can either take a separate wiring with fuse from the battery and use a dedicated switch to toggle the switch on and off, that's the most easy way. Second way, you have auxiliary ports which come sits behind the headlamp console (2013-2015) models, this is a switched connection where you can directly connect them to your USB Charger or any charging peripherals. On and off works with the ignition. These are blade type connectors.

There is a catch here, make sure the current draw doesn't exceed 10 AMPS if you plan to use the stock ACCESSORIES port. If you do so, you run the risk of blowing the fuses if the peripherals you're installing draw more than 10 AMPS.

The best was is to get a 15 amp fuse tapped from the battery to a dedicated switch so that it works without any load on the stock wiring.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 24th September 2018, 01:07   #6250
BHPian

Did a trip from Ahmedabad to Jodhpur and back over a span of 3 days. 1400 kilometres and zero problems apart from a sore butt. Does anybody use Gel Seats for the Duke here? If yes, can you compare it with the standard seat? I have done 5000 kilometres on the bike so far and am looking to do atleast 75000 on this before I upgrade to something else
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20180909_114316.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20180907_133919.jpg  

rahul4321 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 01:24   #6251
Team-BHP Support

I use Fego Float on my Himalayan. It's good but you need to figure out exactly where to place it and how much pressure to fill.

I keep its front as close to the tank as possible with air half full.

If kept such the the rear edge is in line with the end of the front seat, it feels comfortable but after ten kilometres becomes horrible.

Try out various combinations if you do buy such a seat.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 09:31   #6252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Does anybody use Gel Seats for the Duke here? If yes, can you compare it with the standard seat?
I am using B'Twin 700 Cycling Bib Shorts on my long rides. The Duke has a pretty hard seat and thus sore butt is a common issue for Duke riders. The Cycling shorts that I use has a gel base with good ergonomics and a tight fit and I found it very comfortable on long rides.

Recently I did a 850 kms ride in 2 days and I had no butt issues whatsoever.

I would prefer a cycling short over a gel seat as it can be washed easily after every ride, you can use it when you ride other motorcycle too and it is comfortable too and needs no installation or seat modification.The drawback is during a bio break, it is a bit inconvenient as the shorts is a tight fit and has no opening.

I got the idea of using cycling shorts through another Team-BHPian rider/ friend, Unk9ja, who rode from Bangalore to Ladakh and back on his Duke 390 and used a pair of cycling shorts during his epic 8000 kms ride and his feedback /review was very encouraging. Hence I tried it out and I feel it really helps.

Anyways please try it out and see if it helps.

Last edited by ashkamath : 24th September 2018 at 09:40. Reason: Spelling errors
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 10:14   #6253
Senior - BHPian

Only care to be taken while using the Cycling shorts is you need to wear it alone. A lot of people use it over the innerwear which makes it more horrible. The gel seats tends to get compressed over a long ride and will be uncomfortable over a period over time, but with shorts, you can stand on the pegs and ride which gets the foam back to its original shape and you are good to go for more kms.
The Fego float is also good but as bblost mentioned, you need to tweak it to your comfort spot and use.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 20:56   #6254
BHPian

Hi Experts of Duke. I am absolutely in love with the bike but my riding includes city runs in traffic. Just wanted to know how the 2018 Duke runs in traffic. Does it still fry your legs ? Apart from the engine heat I don't see any reason for not buying one for myself.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:52   #6255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Hi Experts of Duke. I am absolutely in love with the bike but my riding includes city runs in traffic. Just wanted to know how the 2018 Duke runs in traffic. Does it still fry your legs ? Apart from the engine heat I don't see any reason for not buying one for myself.

I have the first gen 2013 D390 and the heat level is quiet high. The newer ones are supposed to be better but I doubt it is a significant improvement. Also the tolerance levels of everyone are different.

Why don't you take a test ride at 12 noon in some traffic to test for yourself?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks