Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2020, 11:44   #6511
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
Cranks but doesn't fire.
I think you ought to first rule out all the gear position/ side stand/ lean angle sensors. Does the bike crank every single time or does it sometimes not crank? Can you hear the fuel pump whirring when you turn the ignition on?
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 14:16   #6512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Please get rid of the power tronics set up and try again.
Ouch!! Will try it. Currently it is at the service station. Since it was cranking well, I thought there should be no issue with the ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I think you ought to first rule out all the gear position/ side stand/ lean angle sensors. Does the bike crank every single time or does it sometimes not crank? Can you hear the fuel pump whirring when you turn the ignition on?
Checked everything. The engine cranks, the fuel pump is also whirring everytime I turn on the ignition key.

I am hoping its just a case of blocked fuel pipe or a change of spark plug.

Last edited by anilupadhya : 26th July 2020 at 14:19.
Old 28th July 2020, 20:16   #6513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Please get rid of the power tronics set up and try again.
You were right. They disconnected the Powertronic ECU. The bike fired up. They reconnected the piggyback ECU. It's functioning now. But will be removing it this weekend.

While there I also enquired the possibility of changing the front and rear suspension to that of the adventure spec to give it that Supermoto stance. They said it could be done. Just that each leg of the front setup will cost 9k.

Though not keen to do anything now, would changes to the internal cartridge and lower leg be enough rather than change entire leg.
anilupadhya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 23:49   #6514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
While there I also enquired the possibility of changing the front and rear suspension to that of the adventure spec to give it that Supermoto stance. They said it could be done. Just that each leg of the front setup will cost 9k.

Though not keen to do anything now, would changes to the internal cartridge and lower leg be enough rather than change entire leg.
A perfectly running Duke with sudden stuttering and misfiring and stalling with a piggyback ECU means the PGECU connectors or the system is at fault, now that you've sorted it. With respect to leg the newer forks have completely different fork stanchion designs too, and along with different fork seals, if I am not wrong. So, apart from the internals, it's better to change the slider and stanchion as a set.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 20:57   #6515
BHPian

Hey guys, I have picked up a 2014 Duke 390 with 14000km for 95k. The bike already had new Metzeler tyres installed, serviced just before the
lockdown. The only work the bike needs is a fresh clutch and new brake pads and fresh fluids.

When testing out the bike the clutch lever operation is light, the shifts are a bit clunky, but shifting the bike into neutral takes some time and
effort. The brakes feels a bit spongy.
The bike has a complete service history.

The last picture is the specific Duke which made me fall in love with Duke 390 and made me buy this bike.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20200803_202450.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20200803_202410.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20200803wa0013.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20200803_204722.jpg

I will be posting updates of the bike as i munch more miles on this bike.

Last edited by Dhruv Shetty : 3rd August 2020 at 21:15. Reason: Spacing and adding more text
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 14:36   #6516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
Hey guys, I have picked up a 2014 Duke 390 with 14000km for 95k. The bike already had new Metzeler tyres installed, serviced just before the
lockdown. The only work the bike needs is a fresh clutch and new brake pads and fresh fluids.

When testing out the bike the clutch lever operation is light, the shifts are a bit clunky, but shifting the bike into neutral takes some time and

The last picture is the specific Duke which made me fall in love with Duke 390 and made me buy this bike.

Great find, for a good price. Few things to keep in mind irrespective of the service record are the front forks and rear shocks and chain. These models were notoriously prone to leak the rear shocker owing to their close proximity to the the exhaust CAT CON. First thing, I would suggest is get those new inner mud guards for the rear shocker and secondly, make sure your coolant level stays mostly the same after spirited riding, and keep extra keen on coolant consumption and what not.

Lastly, the older models used 5 bolt clutch system, the newer Dukes use three bolts, with slipper clutch hence ligher and better clutch play. You can get them retrofitted to yours only for a meagre amount of 5k plus and enjoy two finger clutching and slippn.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 21:46   #6517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post

While it is possible that the motorcycle needs a new clutch, the clunky shifts and the problem of shifting the bike into neutral are both signs of a clutch cable that only needs to be adjusted back to factory specs.

As a short term fix get the cable adjusted. If you want to spend vey little money and fix the problem at the same time, have a good mechanic replace the clutch cable or do it yourself. Replacing the cable is usually a very easy task.
Even if the cable didn't need adjusting, replacing the clutch cable is a good idea anyway. Over time, they can become worn and break at the worst possible time.

(I am showing my ignorance about the Duke 390. It's possible that it has a hydraulically operated clutch. Even if it does, there are usually ways of adjusting some of them.)

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 9th August 2020 at 21:51.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 22:12   #6518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
As a short term fix get the cable adjusted. If you want to spend vey little money and fix the problem at the same time, have a good mechanic replace the clutch cable or do it yourself. Replacing the cable is usually a very easy task.
Even if the cable didn't need adjusting, replacing the clutch cable is a good idea anyway. Over time, they can become worn and break at the worst possible time.
Thank you for the valuable feedback on the clutch, on friday i had taken the the bike to the SVC and mentioned the issues, the manger took the bike for a test run. His feedback after the test is that the clutch cable was not adjusted properly. He got a guy to adjust the clutch cable, after the adjustment the bike started shifting smoothly and shifts in neutral without any drama. The manager also said that the bike is in good health and doesn't need any work.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th August 2020 at 23:02. Reason: As requested
Old 11th September 2020, 12:27   #6519
BHPian

Sorry to hijack this ownership thread but had to ask one question to Duke 390 owners.

Is the adjustable clutch lever effective in ease of shifting gears? I have a 10 year old Pulsar 220 and looking to install this lever from the Duke 390 to get a smooth clutch operation.

Does the stock cable work with this lever or should I get a separate one from KTM? I just replaced my existing cable 15 days ago as it was very tight and worn out. Albeit not expensive, it would be good to know.

Cheers
Old 11th September 2020, 14:10   #6520
BHPian

Oh yes - absolutely. The gear shifting is like a hot knife through butter once the motorcycle is warmed up. The clutch is super smooth, soft and the engagement-disengagement partition is very clear in terms of being able to feel the point it engages/disengages.

I dont know if this great feel is as a result of the Adjustability of the clutch lever or the technical aspect earned from it being a slipper clutch - but whatever it is, it works beautifully.

Last edited by rahul4321 : 11th September 2020 at 14:18.
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 14:17   #6521
BHPian

Hi Guys.
Remember my earlier post about the problem of sound from ABS unit ?
Chandra Layout service center next to my house suggested replacement of ABS unit which costs roughly 20K+. I decided to check with Rajajinagar service center.
Mr. Ravi there resolved the problem quickly. All it took was replacement of pulse plate on rear tyre which gives feedback to ABS unit. It cost me less than 1K.
What a relief !
lark63 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 16:19   #6522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
Hi Guys.
Chandra Layout service center next to my house suggested replacement of ABS unit which costs roughly 20K+. I decided to check with Rajajinagar service center.
Mr. Ravi there resolved the problem quickly. All it took was replacement of pulse plate on rear tyre which gives feedback to ABS unit. It cost me less than 1K.
What a relief !
Beautiful. If you'll remember, I suggested the first thing to check is the tone ring. Bent tone ring and or faulty sensor will make the ABS unit go haywire. Thank you for reporting this.

Enjoy the madness.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 14:31   #6523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
Hi Guys.
What a relief !
Thanks for this update! Do you have any pics or procedures? Would be of great help.
Old 20th October 2020, 22:55   #6524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Thanks for this update! Do you have any pics or procedures? Would be of great help.
Gordon, if you intend to replace the tone ring, it's a very simple DIY provided you have the tools. Remove the front wheel, undo the 6 hex bolts remove the tone ring, and you install the new one.

Remember, the 2015 Dukes have a different ring than the newer ones, and also the bolts that fasten then. 2015 and pre have hex bolts, the newer ones have allen key bolts, so do give heed. But, practically a simple DIY.

Hope it helps!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 14:25   #6525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Sorry. None taken.
He told me about the replacement after the task is done.
I too did not ask for the plate.

Most Viewed