BANNED

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusgetgoing View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2016 Duke 390.

Regards,
Brijesh.
I doubt issue is with your battery as you say the starter cranks fine but the motorcycle fails to fire.

Anyhow follow this thread to diagnose your electricals;

Understanding & troubleshooting Motorcycle Charging Systems

I hope all your consumables have been changed religiously cause that's the most obvious cause for the Motorcycle to not fire.

If the above doesn't give you anything then it would be a good time to run a diagnostic test on your Motorcycle.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 09:05   #6572
BHPian

I'm facing this weird issue where the engine starts sputtering on slopes at times. Kind of like water being present in the fuel. Tank was cleaned recently and there were no problems for a while before this started. Does this happen if it's a fuel pump issue? I was informed of a lower fuel pump pressure issue during last service.
Old 12th February 2021, 20:32   #6573
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2016 Duke 390.

A new battery - Exide Explore XLTZ9 was fit in July, 2018. The motorcycle has run around 7k kms since that, mostly highway runs.

2 days back, my friend took the bike to his workplace (around 25 km away). He parked it at 9 am and took out the bike at 9 pm. The motorcycle wouldn't start and showed Low Battery. The lights and horn worked fine (not feeble but strong). He tried to push start it, no luck. Then after 10 minutes of cranking it started.
The issue has been resolved. It was a faulty one way clutch. The one way clutch assembly had to be changed. The part took a couple of days to procure.
Because it had worn out, the self start was slipping while cranking it. There were fine particles in the oil because of the grinding and the oil and oil filter were also changed.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1wayc1.jpeg
The faulty part

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1wayc2.jpeg
After disassembly
jusgetgoing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 18:02   #6574
BANNED

Quote:
The issue has been resolved. It was a faulty one way clutch. The one way clutch assembly had to be changed. The part took a couple of days to procure.
What was the total cost for the work?
Old 17th February 2021, 19:28   #6575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
What was the total cost for the work?
Parts and labor, the total cost was 5435/-
jusgetgoing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 21:07   #6576
BHPian

Is there any news on a Duke 390 refresh?
I really want one. I'm just wondering whether I should wait for a refresh or get a used one.
Old 24th February 2021, 11:40   #6577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Is there any news on a Duke 390 refresh?
I really want one. I'm just wondering whether I should wait for a refresh or get a used one.
It all depends on what you like the most about the Duke according to me, KTMs have just been getting more tame and heavier not as light and raw as they used to be. Definitely more reliable and more comfortable so I'd expect that trend to go on to the next model as well. Even the spied RC390 shots depict a more hefty comfy tourer. So if you like the 1st gen stuff, go for it they can be had for cheap and with proper maintenance they aren't much of hassle. If you want something more comfy get the current model. If the current model isn't tame enough for you, then wait for the next one
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 13:43   #6578
BHPian

Any recommendations for a competent independent garage/mechanic in Bangalore to get my 390 serviced? Thanks.
Weathered is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 14:53   #6579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
Any recommendations for a competent independent garage/mechanic in Bangalore to get my 390 serviced? Thanks.
Don't know if this counts but these guys are popular -

Indimotard Adventures, Greasehouse Garage:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/vVg7AqjrRWMCDD6G7

A bit expensive but thorough. I've got my Himalayan serviced there.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 08:56   #6580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Don't know if this counts but these guys are popular -

Indimotard Adventures, Greasehouse Garage:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/vVg7AqjrRWMCDD6G7

A bit expensive but thorough. I've got my Himalayan serviced there.
I have come a full circle in my seven years of ownership. The SVC is the best option if you can get someone by your side.
Coming to the private garages, it looks rosy at the beginning but fades out once a good mechanic leaves the place or becomes lazy. The parts sourced are also questionable. My thryst with Indimotard was similar. It was all good for a couple of services before the SA took off. The new guy was unable to handle the situation and things turned terrible. My Bhutan ride a couple of years earlier was an absolute nightmare for me and my companions with new sprocket bearing without any name or nomenclature failing at 1750 odd kms while the OE lasted 41000 kms. This failure later resulted in an engine rebuild. Front disk pads falling off during late evening and bike stalling were other issues after a service here.
While the above is my experience, some might still say this is the best. If it is just a regular service, stay with the bike, hang around and watch for yourself at these places.
unk9ja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 09:47   #6581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I have come a full circle in my seven years of ownership. The SVC is the best option if you can get someone by your side.
Coming to the private garages, it looks rosy at the beginning but fades out once a good mechanic leaves the place or becomes lazy. The parts sourced are also questionable. My thryst with Indimotard was similar. It was all good for a couple of services before the SA took off. The new guy was unable to handle the situation and things turned terrible. My Bhutan ride a couple of years earlier was an absolute nightmare for me and my companions with new sprocket bearing without any name or nomenclature failing at 1750 odd kms while the OE lasted 41000 kms. This failure later resulted in an engine rebuild. Front disk pads falling off during late evening and bike stalling were other issues after a service here.
While the above is my experience, some might still say this is the best. If it is just a regular service, stay with the bike, hang around and watch for yourself at these places.

Cannot stress how much I agree with you.

The beauty of KTM is it's authorized service. And ready flow of parts.

As a 10+ years battered Bullet owner I'd need my head checked to jump back into the private mechanic spares shops in Nana Peth routine.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 22:05   #6582
BHPian

My Duke 390 rear wheel jammed today, had to remove the lever to make it move.
Took to a local service and they say I need to change the master cylinder.
Any idea how much the cylinder may cost.

Everything was perfectly working, till I got it serviced during which they changed the brake liners. Is there a jugaad to make the cylinder work?
Old 8th March 2021, 22:10   #6583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post

Everything was perfectly working, till I got it serviced during which they changed the brake liners. Is there a jugaad to make the cylinder w
Better to get it replaced for peace of mind. I had a similar situation post the lockdown. It's not very expensive. If you don't replace it, it's a pain riding the bike properly. Also, very difficult to move the bike while you're parking because of the stuck wheel. Not to mention the over heating disc and brake pad.

I don't remember the exact amount since I'd also got the clutch replaced along with a full service that time.
Old 8th March 2021, 22:13   #6584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Better to get it replaced for peace of mind. I had a similar situation post the lockdown. It's not very expensive. If you don't replace it, it's a pain riding the bike properly. Also, very difficult to move the bike while you're parking because of the stuck wheel. Not to mention the over heating disc and brake pad.

I don't remember the exact amount since I'd also got the clutch replaced along with a full service that time.
You are right about the heat. Initially I thought the rotors might have also gone.

Will get it changed the first thing tomorrow. Thank you.
Old 9th March 2021, 09:43   #6585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
My Duke 390 rear wheel jammed today, had to remove the lever to make it move.
Took to a local service and they say I need to change the master cylinder.
Any idea how much the cylinder may cost.

Everything was perfectly working, till I got it serviced during which they changed the brake liners. Is there a jugaad to make the cylinder work?
This seems to be a common problem with the Brembo master cylinder. I had to replace mine in my Pulsar 200 ns, 2 days ago. The master cylinder price was Rs. 670. I believe the master cylinder is shared with the Dukes.

To confirm that the master cylinder is faulty, when the back brake is jammed, open the bleed screw a bit (just loosen, not remove). This relieves pressure in the line and the brake should release. Then tighten the bleed screw. If the brake doesn't release, the caliper itself might be the problem.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed