Team-BHP > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2022, 17:43   #6691
BHPian
 
Dhruv Shetty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

There's a issue which I'm facing for awhile, at some occasions the speed stays at zero and the ABS light comes on,during this time the ABS gets deactivated and soon as I switch off and turn the bike on, the issue disappears. But for the few days it remains on and the speed stays at zero l, tried switching off and turn the bike on, cleaned the wheel speed sensors. Plus I have replaced the ABS motor last year .
Dhruv Shetty is online now  
Old 5th June 2022, 18:39   #6692
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Erode
Posts: 20
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
There's a issue which I'm facing for awhile, at some occasions the speed stays at zero and the ABS light comes on,during this time the ABS gets deactivated and soon as I switch off and turn the bike on, the issue disappears. But for the few days it remains on and the speed stays at zero l, tried switching off and turn the bike on, cleaned the wheel speed sensors. Plus I have replaced the ABS motor last year .
Check the spacing between the sensor and the wheel. If the space is more the sensor may not be able to read. Also check whether is sensor is not loosely fixed.
skviknaraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 21:45   #6693
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 677
Thanked: 1,278 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
There's a issue which I'm facing for awhile, at some occasions the speed stays at zero and the ABS light comes on,during this time the ABS gets deactivated and soon as I switch off and turn the bike on, the issue disappears. But for the few days it remains on and the speed stays at zero l, tried switching off and turn the bike on, cleaned the wheel speed sensors. Plus I have replaced the ABS motor last year .
Check for ABS fuse, and see if it's burned off. If yes, replace it with the spare fuse. Secondly, make sure the ABS wires (F&R) isn't crimped or frayed, both front and rear. Remove the ABS pin connectors clean the terminals with a shot of WD 40. Make sure your pulse ring isn't bent, or is accumulating rust.

If yes, remove the tone ring and make sure the ring is cleaned thoroughly and rust remnants removed, carefully without damaging the ring. Lastly, clean the tips of the ABS sensor itself once again by removing completely.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be another horror story.

Keep us posted after checking the above.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 15:16   #6694
BHPian
 
Shonith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hey guys,

I am thinking of ways to improve the acceleration on my 390 duke. I feel the easiest way to do it is to upsize the rear sprocket. Now I read threads about it in this forum but people haven't given a proper feedback after changing the sprocket.

Here's what I wish to achieve, good acceleration, I will be happy if the bike can maintain speeds of upto 130kph. I don't ride at speeds beyond this at all.

My concerns are:
1. How will the change affect the load on the engine, will the engine feel more stressed?
2. Change in the engine heating?
3. Chain life then on, factors like chain slack (I am assuming the chain life to reduce due to the increase in torque also the uneven wear in the chain might further get enhanced)
4. Affect in mileage?

The 250 ktms and the husqvarna have the 46 tooth rear sprocket where as the 390 has the 44 tooth one. This is the sprocket in my mind.

44 tooth 390 duke sprocket
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20220621_145900.jpg

46 tooth husqvarna sprocket The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20220621_145913.jpg
Shonith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:59   #6695
BHPian
 
saikishor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 217
Thanked: 887 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

My bike is stalling frequently after my recent full tank fill up. This stalling happens randomly when I pull the clutch. Sometimes it happens when I pull the clutch and slightly rev the bike. Is this normal or does my bike have any problem?

Thoughts and advice on this will be highly appreciated.
saikishor is online now  
Old 28th June 2022, 18:39   #6696
BHPian
 
Dhruv Shetty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Check for ABS fuse, and see if it's burned off. If yes, replace it with the spare fuse. Secondly, make sure the ABS wires (F&R) isn't crimped or frayed, both front and rear. Remove the ABS pin connectors clean the terminals with a shot of WD 40. Make sure your pulse ring isn't bent, or is accumulating rust.

If yes, remove the tone ring and make sure the ring is cleaned thoroughly and rust remnants removed, carefully without damaging the ring. Lastly, clean the tips of the ABS sensor itself once again by removing them completely.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be another horror story.

Keep us posted after checking the above.

Cheers!
VJ
The culprit has been found which was making the ABS act up, it turned out to be one of the wires of the harness which connects the ABS pump. I was given 3 options

1. Remove the entire harness and fix the affected wires, this is a very labor-intensive job. The cost of doing this is close to a new wiring harness.
2. A bypass wire, in this method the speed sensor will be directly connected to the ABS motor. (Chose this option).
3. A new wiring harness.

I chose the second option because I have some expenses in the coming months and I am confident in the person who is doing it and I will be changing the harness at the end of the year.

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty

Last edited by Dhruv Shetty : 28th June 2022 at 18:42. Reason: Change in sentance
Dhruv Shetty is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 22:05   #6697
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 677
Thanked: 1,278 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post
Hey guys,

I am thinking of ways to improve the acceleration on my 390 duke. I feel the easiest way to do it is to upsize the rear sprocket. Now I read threads about it in this forum but people haven't given a proper feedback after changing the sprocket.

Here's what I wish to achieve, good acceleration, I will be happy if the bike can maintain speeds of upto 130kph. I don't ride at speeds beyond this at all.

My concerns are:
1. How will the change affect the load on the engine, will the engine feel more stressed?
2. Change in the engine heating?
3. Chain life then on, factors like chain slack (I am assuming the chain life to reduce due to the increase in torque also the uneven wear in the chain might further get enhanced)
4. Affect in mileage?

The 250 ktms and the husqvarna have the 46 tooth rear sprocket where as the 390 has the 44 tooth one. This is the sprocket in my mind.

44 tooth 390 duke sprocket
The Duke 390 has 15/45, the 250 has 14/46. You can use the 14 front of the 250 is a direct swap and you'd reach top speed faster, accelerate briskly but you'll lose on top end grunt. If getting there sooner is your priority as you've mentioned your cruising speeds, this would be a good deal.

My concerns are:
1. How will the change affect the load on the engine, will the engine feel more stressed?

A wee bit stressed due as now the bike accelerates hard for a given speed.

2. Change in the engine heating?

None. What was, is always is.

3. Chain life then on, factors like chain slack (I am assuming the chain life to reduce due to the increase in torque also the uneven wear in the chain might further get enhanced)

None. A chain will wear with increased or no increased torque, and will wear in an accelerated manner if not lubed in due course of time. Maintenance is key for chain life.

4. Affect in mileage?
Perhaps yes and perhaps no, depending on how you ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
My bike is stalling frequently after my recent full tank fill up. This stalling happens randomly when I pull the clutch. Sometimes it happens when I pull the clutch and slightly rev the bike. Is this normal or does my bike have any problem?

Thoughts and advice on this will be highly appreciated.
When was your fuel filter replaced? If you have a clogged fuel filter, fuel starvation can cause a similar issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
The culprit has been found which was making the ABS act up, it turned out to be one of the wires of the harness which connects the ABS pump. I was given 3 options

1. Remove the entire harness and fix the affected wires, this is a very labor-intensive job. The cost of doing this is close to a new wiring harness.
2. A bypass wire, in this method the speed sensor will be directly connected to the ABS motor. (Chose this option).
3. A new wiring harness.

I chose the second option because I have some expenses in the coming months and I am confident in the person who is doing it and I will be changing the harness at the end of the year.

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty
Hope it solves the issue! Would be happy to get an update, pictorial if possible. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 28th June 2022 at 22:09.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:41   #6698
BHPian
 
DriveOnceMore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 540
Thanked: 1,333 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hello all!

I have come across one used 2018 Duke 390 used for about 50,000 km.
The quoted price is 1.60 L.

Now for making the decision I need your opinions:
1. Is it good for touring (400 Kms a day)?
2. Is it advisable to get a 4 year old KTM?
3. Any issues to look for?
4. What would be cost of ownership?
5. Expecting 30 kmpl realistic?
6. I heard that LED headlight costs a bomb, anything else like that to keep in mind?


Thanks in advance.
DriveOnceMore is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 21:13   #6699
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 491
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Hello all!

I have come across one used 2018 Duke 390 used for about 50,000 km.
The quoted price is 1.60 L.

Now for making the decision I need your opinions:
1. Is it good for touring (400 Kms a day)?
2. Is it advisable to get a 4 year old KTM?
3. Any issues to look for?
4. What would be cost of ownership?
5. Expecting 30 kmpl realistic?
6. I heard that LED headlight costs a bomb, anything else like that to keep in mind?


Thanks in advance.
1. Depends, what have you been riding till date and what speeds you would like to maintain? I tour on 2012 Ninja 650 and also have a 2017 Duke 390. Took the Duke once for a long ride and that was it, never took it again, the motor just doesn't feel relaxed at 120+, also hard seat, stiff
rear suspension.

2. 50k kms run Duke, you better get the motor verified from a good mech.

3. Same as point two.

4. Not a costly bike to maintain, spares are cheap but once again i am comparing to N650. If you compare it to a 150cc bike, you might find it expensive.

5. 30 kmpl in city no way. On highways if ridden at close to 100 should be possible. In city when ridden normally i get 24 to 25 kmpl, if you ride a little hard 22 kmpl.

6. The headlight is useless, on highways you will check multiple times if it is on or off, it is that bad. Get an aux setup should cost you around 10k.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by rbp : 26th July 2022 at 21:14.
rbp is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:36   #6700
BHPian
 
DriveOnceMore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 540
Thanked: 1,333 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
1. Depends, what have you been riding till date and what speeds you would like to maintain? I tour on 2012 Ninja 650 and also have a 2017 Duke 390. Took the Duke once for a long ride and that was it, never took it again, the motor just doesn't feel relaxed at 120+, also hard seat, stiff
rear suspension.

2. 50k kms run Duke, you better get the motor verified from a good mech.

.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Actually I am not looking for doing anything above 100 kmph so I think this bike should be fine for that.
Let's see what happens next, will keep you updated.
DriveOnceMore is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:38   #6701
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 2,938 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Actually I am not looking for doing anything above 100 kmph so I think this bike should be fine for that.
The 390s are not bikes that are happy with sedate riding within legit limits. But, seems Orange is what your heart wants, so go for it.
roy_libran is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 12:01   #6702
BHPian
 
Slash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Hello all!

I have come across one used 2018 Duke 390 used for about 50,000 km.
The quoted price is 1.60 L.

Now for making the decision I need your opinions:
1. Is it good for touring (400 Kms a day)?
2. Is it advisable to get a 4 year old KTM?
3. Any issues to look for?
4. What would be cost of ownership?
5. Expecting 30 kmpl realistic?
6. I heard that LED headlight costs a bomb, anything else like that to keep in mind?


Thanks in advance.
I would only pick up the 390 with 50km on the odo if I know the persons riding style and bike upkeep attitude.
Although the bike is absolutely capable of doing long distances, I wouldn't advise touring on it. The posture is somewhat committed and the seat is a bit wide and stiff making it a bit uncomfortable. Handlebar risers can help with the posture so check if they are already there.
IMO, the D390 is not great for touring or heavy city traffic. It shines as the king of the ring road - I've never ridden a more agile, quicker and fun bike to sift through traffic, across many segments. It does great on suburban roads too. For long distances I would suggest looking at RE, Ninjas or Dominar in this range. A good Himalayan can also be a lot of fun and can tackle bad roads better.
Slash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 13:30   #6703
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 677
Thanked: 1,278 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Hello all!

I have come across one used 2018 Duke 390 used for about 50,000 km.
The quoted price is 1.60 L.

Now for making the decision I need your opinions:
1. Is it good for touring (400 Kms a day)?
2. Is it advisable to get a 4 year old KTM?
3. Any issues to look for?
4. What would be cost of ownership?
5. Expecting 30 kmpl realistic?
6. I heard that LED headlight costs a bomb, anything else like that to keep in mind?

Thanks in advance.
Adding in my 0.02

1. Is it good for touring (400 Kms a day)?
Post the 2017 models have improved seat and are great for touring. Windblast is for real, being a naked and the speeds it can carry, so appropriate breaks in between and she can do upwards of 700 kays/day easily, but mostly it depends on the rider.

2. Is it advisable to get a 4 year old KTM?
Not a capital crime, is it. As long as the bike has a clean service record, decent upkeep, you can consider the vehicle.

3. Any issues to look for?
For starters, the major things to look for are, tires, sprocket and engine, these three wear pretty rapidly on the Duke series for what they have to offer. The powertrain takes prime importance here, and then rest takes their precedence. A mechanic's opinion would be strongly recommended.

4. What would be cost of ownership?
Decent. The 390 isn't a bomb to maintain when compared to similar specced Japanese counterparts. Tires are expensive and that's a given. Pretty much generally, things are pocket friendly. No cheap, not exquisite either, doesn't pinch the pockets. In certain cases, it does pinch, but that's for another day.

5. Expecting 30 kmpl realistic?
Not being greedy on the throttle, yes. Optimistic riding can return close to 22 to 25 and even lower inside cities. The Duke absolutely hates city traffic.

6. I heard that LED headlight costs a bomb, anything else like that to keep in mind?
The LED unit on the newer gen cost a lot yes, but the chances of them going faulty is very minimal, don't worry about that. The Duke has comparatively expensive parts then yesteryear's but that shouldn't diss you.

Good luck!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 15:43   #6704
BHPian
 
Dodge_Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 575
Thanked: 808 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Hello all!

I have come across one used 2018 Duke 390 used for about 50,000 km.
The quoted price is 1.60 L.

Now for making the decision I need your opinions:
1. Is it good for touring (400 Kms a day)?
2. Is it advisable to get a 4 year old KTM?
3. Any issues to look for?
4. What would be cost of ownership?
5. Expecting 30 kmpl realistic?
6. I heard that LED headlight costs a bomb, anything else like that to keep in mind?


Thanks in advance.
I own a 2018 Duke and with regards to touring, windblast will be a major concern. I am 5.11 and no type of windshield helps me. It will be a pain to ride 100+ all day long. Plus you will require to take breaks as sooner or later the vibrations creep in your palms and foot. LED headlight is absolutely useless. If you plan to tour only in daylight then no issues, however night riding is an absolute pain. Aux lights are must.

Ownership costs are low. A normal service would be south of 2.5k. Spares are also quite decently priced. With regards to FE, I never got 30kmpl. The economy figure on console was never accurate. Expect a mileage of around 23-24 on highways. If ridden hard, expect less.

Also another point to make is if you plan to tour with a pillion then simply walk away from Duke 390.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 22:27   #6705
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 406
Thanked: 1,276 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Hello all!

I have come across one used 2018 Duke 390 used for about 50,000 km.
The quoted price is 1.60 L.

Now for making the decision I need your opinions:
1. Is it good for touring (400 Kms a day)?
2. Is it advisable to get a 4 year old KTM?
3. Any issues to look for?
4. What would be cost of ownership?
5. Expecting 30 kmpl realistic?
6. I heard that LED headlight costs a bomb, anything else like that to keep in mind?


Thanks in advance.
50 thousand kilometers is too high for such a small size high compression engine. I wouldn't buy it unless i am using it for city running or breakfast rides.

I use it for touring - absolutely no problems apart from the LED headlights and absence of low end torque. I have done 20 thousand kilometers on it - all highway touring. Have taken it from Ahmedabad to Hyderabad, Bhopal, Pune, Punjab and a lot other places. No problems whatsoever

You can read the pros and cons here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5369554 (My ownership review of the KTM Duke 390, and how it pushed me back towards owning a Royal Enfield)

Last edited by rahul4321 : 30th July 2022 at 22:33.
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks