Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2022, 18:42   #6706
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Need to change my tyres I think - about 9 years since I got the bike. Eventhough the mileage is low & there is no visible damage.

What tires would you folks recommend? I am a very light user & ride mostly on highways. City usage is quite low. So, grip at speed is probably important.

I dont think the original Metzler is even available.

MRF Perfinza? Or...

Do let me know.
Old 19th August 2022, 00:50   #6707
BHPian

Any update on the refresh model?
Old 19th August 2022, 01:18   #6708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I am a very light user & ride mostly on highways. City usage is quite low. So, grip at speed is probably important.
My usage is very similar to yours and I switched to Apollo Alpha H1s that costed around 10K a pair last year. Have done about 3000 km so far and happy with their grip on highways and performance in general over all kind of roads. Haven't ridden enough in wet to form an opinion.
Weathered is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 22:36   #6709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Any update on the refresh model?
Updated model is set to arrive at the end of the the year as per what I have read.

Autocar India has news about updated colorways.

Link: https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...t-month-425552

Last edited by saikishor : 31st August 2022 at 22:37.
Old 21st September 2022, 11:33   #6710
BHPian

Hi everyone

I have a 2018 Duke 390. My usage is mostly on highways. On wide open highways, 100kmph comes up at 6000RPM. I don't find cruising at this speed optimal as the bike begs you to go faster (peak torque comes up at a very close 7000RPM). To be frank, it is very tough to control the right wrist with this bike. I decided to play with the gear ratios and ordered a 42T aftermarket sprocket. I do not care about outright acceleration, just want to cruise in a relaxed manner at a comparatively lower engine speed, hence I went for a 42T.

Today when I went to the KTM Dehradun ASC to get it installed (as I had to get a new chain + front sprocket too), they refused to sell the front sprocket + chain to me. They said that I'll have to buy the whole set (front+rear sprocket + chain) and that they don't sell the front sprocket or chain by itself. If I buy the OEM set, I'll have a brand new stock rear sprocket lying around with me which I don't want. They said they've always sold the whole set and never individual sprockets standalone.

I have read about people changing just the front sprockets to 14T even on this forum so I just want to know whether the ASCs sell just one sprocket. I'm going to Gurgaon shortly and I called their ASC asking about this, they told me that they sell it standalone, so thinking about getting it installed from there only.

I was under the impression that all spares are sold OTC, I myself have bought very minor things from my ASC and never had a problem to date. Do all ASCs have different policies for selling spares OTC ?
Yash390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 12:53   #6711
BHPian

Quote:
What tires would you folks recommend? I am a very light user & ride mostly on highways. City usage is quite low. So, grip at speed is probably important.
I've been using Apollo Alpha H1 front and rear for >10k kms and I find them to be pretty decent in all conditions. Have ridden extensively in rains as well, grip is good and braking is confidence inspiring too.

Hope this helps.
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:19   #6712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
I do not care about outright acceleration, just want to cruise in a relaxed manner at a comparatively lower engine speed, hence I went for a 42T.
You said it yourself 390 makes peak torque at 7000rpm. In order for you to maintain 100kph you need revs to be more than 5000rpm on the 390 otherwise you will not have enough torque to maintain this speed. Changing to a 42T might end up making your bike do 100kph at say 5000rpm (5000rpm is just my guess) if this is the case then you are just at the bottom of where the torque begins rise again. You might have to give more throttle input to maintain 100kph, at this rev range you may see drop in mileage.

Check the torque and power curve below. For the 2018 model. This will give you a better picture.
Name:  images 3.png
Views: 554
Size:  41.2 KB

Quote:
I was under the impression that all spares are sold OTC, I myself have bought very minor things from my ASC and never had a problem to date. Do all ASCs have different policies for selling spares OTC ?
There is no different policies for different service center, but they can deny OTC if there is shortage of spare inventory. They have denied spares OTC to me saying "need it for bikes that are there for service at their center". Small spares, fast moving spares are easily available OTC but not all. Especially if it's the last piece in their inventory. Chain and sprockets are sold separately they are not sold as a set by ktm. I think the service center was trying to make some quick money there.
Shonith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:37   #6713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post
You might have to give more throttle input to maintain 100kph, at this rev range you may see drop in mileage. I think the service center was trying to make some quick money there.
Thank you for the input Shonith, good to hear from a fellow seafarer on the forum.

Now that I have already bought the sprocket, I will have to live with it. I will get it installed and let you know about the change in fuel efficiency and engine character.
About the service centre, that was my first thought. I tried pushing him but he didn't budge, he said all service centres receive the whole set so I didn't bother him.

Cheers !
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:54   #6714
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the input Shonith, good to hear from a fellow seafarer on the forum

Quote:
Now that I have already bought the sprocket, I will have to live with it. I will get it installed and let you know about the change in fuel efficiency and engine character.
About the service centre, that was my first thought. I tried pushing him but he didn't budge, he said all service centres receive the whole set so I didn't bother him.

Cheers !
Do let us know your feedback. Experiments will give you a first hand experience on what's what.
Shonith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 23:17   #6715

Quote:
Thank you for the input Shonith, good to hear from a fellow seafarer on the forum.

Cheers !
Can you also check with a non-OEM brand like Rolon about this?

I got a Rolon brass-finish sprockets+chain kit for my MY17 bike and thought it had both sprockets, I wonder if they'd be open to selling just one. Also, reg the response of your local ASC, what do they do in the event of only one sprocket getting damaged (a broken tooth, it's known to happen)?

Anyhoo, if you're open to it, I'd also recommend contacting MySpareMarket, a quite popular seller of aftermarket/OEM KTM spare parts. I'm not able to DM you, so here's their WA number - 9769004646. Ping during regular working hours. I'm sure they'll sort this out for you.
Old 27th September 2022, 23:38   #6716

Quote:
Need to change my tyres I think - about 9 years since I got the bike. Eventhough the mileage is low & there is no visible damage.

I dont think the original Metzler is even available.

MRF Perfinza? Or...

Do let me know.
I'm sure this search is done with, but responding anyway

I bought my bike used with roughly 3-4k km worth of tread left on the stock Metzeler H-rated tyres. After switching to the Apollo H1s, the immediately perceptible difference was the lightness of the Metzelers. You notice this the most when in the midst of small things like switching lanes and leaning into a corner. But to be frank, I grew familiar with this aspect within the first 100 km and in fact, can no longer perceive the difference unless I ride both tyres back to back.

In terms of performance, the slight heaviness posed no downsides and in fact, made leaning into corners a more assured affair. The Duke is razor sharp to lean and the light Metz would cause the bike to drop with an eagerness that could be unnerving, at least for the less experienced folk like me. There was also the occasional twitchiness factor. Neither was an issue with the Apollos and rather lent a more linear character to the bike's dynamics.

In terms of tyre grip too, I found the Apollos pretty darn good, come rain or shine. Very predictable.

But after about 4k km on the Apollos, I switched to the MRF Revz D radial dual-sports before the monsoon this year, as I planned to hit some trails with the bike. The steering feel with these turned out to be even heavier (duh ) than the Apollos but what surprised me the most is how good they're even when you attack corners.

Are the MRFs as good as the Apollos or Metz (these two are equal in my book but people I look up to say the Metz W-rated ones are a CLEAR notch above the Apollos) when it comes to sporty riding? Definitely not. But they're quite good and won't leave you ruing your tyre choice when the road bends, especially if you'd crossed a few potholes, puddles, broken roads, trails, and slush before arriving at the bends. FYI, these tyres come as stock on the Svartpilen.

I got the Apollos for ₹8.5K for the set from tyremarket.com, thanks to some offer. Got the MRFs for ₹9.5k for the set from torqueblock.com. Thoroughly satisfied with both purchases!
arjpillai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 19:46   #6717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjpillai View Post
Also, reg the response of your local ASC, what do they do in the event of only one sprocket getting damaged (a broken tooth, it's known to happen. Anyhoo, if you're open to it, I'd also recommend contacting MySpareMarket, a quite popular seller of aftermarket/OEM KTM spare parts.
Thanks for the info arj. I will ask my SC about the special individual part damage case and will try using MySpare the next time I need anything.

Regarding my sprocket situation, I handed the bike over to KTM Gurgaon today. The service head was very skeptical about the aftermarket sprocket. He told me stories about people who changed to aftermarket sprockets and how they ended up damaging the chain very quickly which left them stranded. As for my 42T, he said that they won't and can't add/remove chain links, they'll just try adjusting the slack as much as they can. He told me that he cannot assure me of the reliability of the system, saying that the OEM chain will not work well with the sprocket and that it may be a wonder if the system runs even for a few hundred kilometres. He told me to hold the OEM and aftermarket sprockets in my hands and compare the weight. Mine is very light whereas the OEM is much heavier. He had his questions about the strength of mine and said he'll consult his mechanic whether they can go ahead with the install or not. The mechanic said the same thing that he has low hopes of it being a success, also stating that the chain will start eating the aftermarket sprocket very soon.

I have 0 practical experience regarding this but was excited for the swap as I have seen several YouTubers running aftermarket setups without any issues whatsoever. On the other hand, looking at the SC's hesitation, to be frank, I am a bit nervous now.

I'll go pick the bike tomorrow and hope all goes well
Will keep the thread updated.

PS - here's how the new sprocket looks like
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-snapchat727101067.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2022, 14:10   #6718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info arj. I will ask my SC about the special individual part damage case and will try using MySpare the next time I need anything.

Regarding my sprocket situation, I handed the bike over to KTM Gurgaon today. The service head was very skeptical about the aftermarket sprocket. He told me stories about people who changed to aftermarket sprockets and how they ended up damaging the chain very quickly which left them stranded. As for my 42T, he said that they won't and can't add/remove chain links, they'll just try adjusting the slack as much as they can. He told me that he cannot assure me of the reliability of the system, saying that the OEM chain will not work well with the sprocket ...
I'll go pick the bike tomorrow and hope all goes well
Will keep the thread updated.

PS - here's how the new sprocket looks like
I would certainly echo the SVC's sentiment here. Aftermarket performance sprockets are all about losing weight, while maintaining exceptional strength and providing the much needed performance where every pound shaved matters. A light weight sprocket isn't a bad choice per se, but what and where you're sourcing one matters especially what material is used, is it heat treated/hardened enough, is the design of the sprocket itself structurally tested for strength and warpage.

The sprocket is what takes most the loading from the engine along with the chain. A faulty pitched sprocket not only eats the sprocket itself, but it also eats along the chain and which in turn eats the front sprocket.

Now, with respect to your sprocket, one can never know what materials were used, how harended/treated they are and how reliable this setup is gonna last. If you've installed it already, only time will tell how long it lasts. Perhaps Sparrowteck are the only folks who can share that data.

Till the time it lasts, enjoy the ride. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 2nd October 2022 at 14:20.
Old 4th October 2022, 19:33   #6719
BHPian

I am looking for tail tail tidy kit for my gen 1 2013 Duke 390. Does anyone have any pointers where I can get it online or in Pune?
Old 5th October 2022, 21:46   #6720
BHPian

Sprocket change update !

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20221001_132239.jpg

Collected the bike on 1st October (Saturday), didn't have time to update the thread because of my hectic schedule.

1. The new rear 42T sprocket is installed. Have not been able to ride much after that (reasons mentioned in point no.2 and 3) but the change in gearing is pretty evident. My college(and the KTM service centre) is right on the Delhi-Jaipur expressway so thought of testing the behavioral change of the engine character but couldn't manage high speeds due to the extremely busy roads. First impressions are positive though, will get to know it better when I go back to Dehradun next week. Will attach the costs incurred.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20221005_203343__01.jpg

2. I always test ride the bike for a short distance before making the payment. Went on a 1.5kms spin on the service lane itself. Instantly noticed weird vibration(not like the pulsating sensation you get when you brake hard and the ABS kicks in) in the rear brake lever. Felt the vibration everytime I applied the rear brake even slightly. Turned the rear ABS off just to confirm, same thing happened. I came back and brought it to the service head's attention. He rode it, along with 2 mechanics, and they tried to convince me that it is just the ABS kicking in. They checked the brake lever free play, rear pads and rotor and ensured that everything is fine. I didn't pay much heed to the issue and thought of trusting the service head and the mechanics. I thanked them for the job and headed back home. Lo and behold, about 2kms from home, the ABS FAILURE warning popped up (see attached photo). Immediately pulled over and turned the bike off, took a 2mins break. Turned it on and voila, no ABS FAILURE warning. I was happy and relieved, only to be disappointed a minute later when the warning popped up again. Got home, took the key out and was walking away towards the stairs when I noticed that the DRL was still on. Yes, the DRL was on even after removing the key. Put the key in and took it out again, it turned off, all good. I was extremely tired so slept it off. Had no other option other than to get it checked after I get done with classes and exams, i.e. 12th October. The bike was completely rideable without ABS so didn't stress much about it.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20221001_140628.jpg

3. Rode the bike on Saturday and Sunday evening with the ABS FAILURE warning and no DRL issues this time.

4. Reached college on Monday 8:45AM, parked the bike and went inside. I have some weird habit (hope fellow BHPians can relate) that I take a look at my bike/cars from all sides whenever they're parked. Came out for a tea break at 11AM and 3PM and the bike was all good, DRL off. Class ended at 6PM, put the key in and saw that the instrument cluster was glowing very dim. Battery voltage was 5.5V and the engine/coolant temperature bar was flashing red constantly. There was no scope of the bike turning on in this condition. Took the key out to see the DRL still on, I got frustrated. Checked the user manual, played with the fuses but couldn't manage to turn the DRL off. Called KTM Gurgaon ASC, explained the situation and they gave a tow truck's number. He didn't pick up. Pushed the bike half a kilometre to a roadside mechanic who could charge the battery. He refused to touch the battery terminals with the DRL on. Yes, the DRL was on after the key being out of the ignition for half an hour. No other battery shops were open nearby. Was losing my patience so started calling the tow truck's number and he picked up after 10-12 attempts. He refused to come to my location. I requested for the contact of any other person. He gave me a number and I called him up. I sent my location on WhatsApp and he promised to reach in 45mins. Onlookers were having the time of their lives seeing an exhausted skinny guy sitting on a Duke 390 with the DRL on wearing a riding jacket in this weather. The tow truck luckily arrived in exactly 45mins. Loaded the bike, headed home with him in his vehicle. Thanked him for the excellent service. He charged ₹1200 for 12kms, I had no energy to negotiate. Fellow road users were staring at the bike and pointing to the DRL(still on). Got home, parked the bike, rushed upstairs, got my allen key set and removed the headlight from the bike, DRL finally off after almost 2˝hrs, voltage shown on the instrument panel - 4.2V.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20221003_194902.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-snapchat1130992050.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20221005_212506.jpg
Yes, the headlight does look like a predator.

I have absolutely no time till 12th October. Will try getting the battery charged on my own next week, fix the headlight back on the bike and head to the ASC right after.
Any idea what could've triggered the issues I mentioned ?
It is sad to see such a beautiful machine just lying idle :/

PS - The battery is just 4 months old and there are no blown ABS fuses, I already checked.

Last edited by Yash390 : 5th October 2022 at 22:09. Reason: Mention of recently installed new battery
Yash390 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks