2) Leaking coolant hose
3) Leaking oil seals
4) Broken/bent/cracked wheel rims
5) Broken throttle cables
6) Loose chains
5) Broken teeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
.. Adding to the agony, comes the news of recall . Now I am thinking of going back to the CBR as it will at least give some peace of mind while riding as we are almost sure that the engine is going to start the next time we hit the switch, unfortunately which is not the case with the duke. So many KTM owners are frustrated due to fuel leaks, leaking coolant hose, leaking oil seals, paint peeling, fragile wheel rims, broken throttle cables, loose chains, broken teeth and so on..
Guys do you have any links, data to support this? multiple forums that I have visited never seen any such complaints apart from the heating/starting trouble topic.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:08   #662
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Guys do you have any links, data to support this? multiple forums that I have visited never seen any such complaints apart from the heating/starting trouble topic.
Heavy_Foot is as skeptical as you are. He put up the list to find out if any 390 owners were experiencing it to get more than second hand information.

I find junaid12345678's post's motive a little suspicious. His main point of contention is that the bike is a Bajaj and isn't as reliable as a Honda. Wasn't this always known from the start? If so, why did he book the 390 in the first place if that is the deal breaker for him? Why is he putting off his CBR purchase?

Last edited by GreaseMonk : 25th September 2013 at 14:11.
GreaseMonk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 14:42   #663
BHPian

Got an email from KTM Mangalore that deliveries will commence soon and they will get in touch with regards to the formalities.
I replied asking for a tentative date and if the bikes would be already 'upgraded' to address the heating issue.
They have confirmed that the new lot of bikes will already be having the 'fixes' done. Expected delivery in October. Number of bikes alloted to Mangalore in the first lot is unknown. They have a modest 15 bookings here.
Old 25th September 2013, 15:05   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post

I find junaid12345678's post's motive a little suspicious. His main point of contention is that the bike is a Bajaj and isn't as reliable as a Honda. Wasn't this always known from the start? If so, why did he book the 390 in the first place if that is the deal breaker for him? Why is he putting off his CBR purchase?
Sorry if you find my post suspicious. Yes, its known from the start that Bajaj isn't as reliable as the honda. But KTM is as reliable as Honda. So Bajaj is selling us a Bajaj product with the KTM tag. The difference in fit and finish, build quality is huge when we compare the bigger dukes with the 390 Duke. Lot of European Duke 390 customers are complaining about quality issues as they don't have the habit of living with issues but we Indians have. We all are going for the D390 because its excellent value for money proposition and for enjoying a safe and powerful ride. But the bike should be free of issues that could make us pull over to the side and stay stranded by the roadside as probiking service centers are hard to find. Guys, lets stop this ever going debate here as we all are waiting for our bikes and want to get our hands on it as soon as possible.

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 25th September 2013 at 15:07.
junaid12345678 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 15:17   #665
Senior - BHPian

a received mail from KTM indiranagar today:

Dear Sir,
Greeting for the day..!

We are pleased to inform you that 390 supplies have already started 1st batch of 20 bikes have been delivered in our dealership.

390 supplies started across cities in India and supplies would be much more faster from 1st week of October on wards as per priority we will be calling your booking number soon. if your considering finance options you may process with your documents for loan

Thanks for the kind co-operation.

Thanks & Regards....

KTM Indiranagar
Bangalore
Old 25th September 2013, 15:23   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if you find my post suspicious. Yes, its known from the start that Bajaj isn't as reliable as the honda. But KTM is as reliable as Honda. So Bajaj is selling us a Bajaj product with the KTM tag. The difference in fit and finish, build quality is huge when we compare the bigger dukes with the 390 Duke. Lot of European Duke 390 customers are complaining about quality issues as they don't have the habit of living with issues but we Indians have. We all are going for the D390 because its excellent value for money proposition and for enjoying a safe and powerful ride. But the bike should be free of issues that could make us pull over to the side and stay stranded by the roadside as probiking service centers are hard to find. Guys, lets stop this ever going debate here as we all are waiting for our bikes and want to get our hands on it as soon as possible.
Please substantiate your claims, where did you find this list of complaints? And no, this is not a 'ever going debate', it just started with that post of yours. The only known and substatiated probs were with overheating and starting trouble once hot.
Old 25th September 2013, 15:30   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
a received mail from KTM indiranagar today:

Dear Sir,
Greeting for the day..!

We are pleased to inform you that 390 supplies have already started 1st batch of 20 bikes have been delivered in our dealership.

390 supplies started across cities in India and supplies would be much more faster from 1st week of October on wards as per priority we will be calling your booking number soon. if your considering finance options you may process with your documents for loan

Thanks for the kind co-operation.

Thanks & Regards....

KTM Indiranagar
Bangalore

nasirkaka,

Congratulations, maybe you'll receive the bike this week itself! incidentally what is your booking number?

thanks

imp
Old 25th September 2013, 15:36   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Please substantiate your claims, where did you find this list of complaints? And no, this is not a 'ever going debate', it just started with that post of yours. The only known and substatiated probs were with overheating and starting trouble once hot.
The issues I pointed out were on the Duke 200. And Bajaj haven't made a recall for those issues and only replaced the parts or did temporary fixes as all the bikes didn't had all the issues. So I am sure that the 390 too will be having those issues as the affected parts were replaced by the customer under warranty itself and not through a recall.

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 25th September 2013 at 15:39.
Old 25th September 2013, 15:43   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, maybe you'll receive the bike this week itself! incidentally what is your booking number?
after waiting for 3 long months now, the excitement is subdued a bit. i was really expecting them to surprise me by delivering within 3-4 weeks from booking like they did with 200. Guess the chakan strike, dollar pull, and teething issues of heat and startup would have played spoil-sport.

The issue now is even if they call me in a week or so, i will not take the delivery. the reason being, i am traveling to my hometown for 3 weeks starting 1st week of October. Dont really want to take the delivery and keep the bike standing in my apartment - unguarded. (will let the next person in Q enjoy it). will be back on 22nd oct, and hoping they have one for me by then.
had booked it on the 1st day and was given booking number 37.
Old 25th September 2013, 16:10   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The issues I pointed out were on the Duke 200. And Bajaj haven't made a recall for those issues and only replaced the parts or did temporary fixes as all the bikes didn't had all the issues. So I am sure that the 390 too will be having those issues as the affected parts were replaced by the customer under warranty itself and not through a recall.
Not sure what you are expecting in a 390 thread. If you are comparing the 390 and CBR and want to take a decision and have decided that you think CBR is a better bike, good for you.

For the same money i get better tyres, bigger engine(probably better as well), better shocks, better brakes with ABS and first of its kind in the market.

And most of us in this thread are definitely rooted to KTM 390 just to own a piece of probably a history in Indian motorcycle.

ALl my friends who wanted to buy the CBR have booked the 390 just for the sheer value for money. While there are friends who went with CBR for the looks.

Its completely your decision to get what you like and want. All the issues you have mentioned have not been reported so far from initial ownership be it here in India or in Austria.

In fact there is more praise coming its way all around and the recommendation has been, just get it from most of them.

Be it sriram here in bhp or some unknow reviewer in some remote part.
Old 25th September 2013, 16:20   #671
BHPian

Quote:
after waiting for 3 long months now, the excitement is subdued a bit. i was really expecting them to surprise me by delivering within 3-4 weeks from booking like they did with 200. Guess the chakan strike, dollar pull, and teething issues of heat and startup would have played spoil-sport.
I know the feeling. Even my excitement has abated. I'm expecting the bike when it comes. No sooner or later. Even I thought they'd start deliveries within the first 3-4 weeks, but for all those reasons, we've been kept waiting

Quote:

The issue now is even if they call me in a week or so, i will not take the delivery. the reason being, i am traveling to my hometown for 3 weeks starting 1st week of October. Dont really want to take the delivery and keep the bike standing in my apartment - unguarded. (will let the next person in Q enjoy it). will be back on 22nd oct, and hoping they have one for me by then.
Why not ride home on the bike? Assuming, they deliver it by then, It'd be a great way to stretch its legs!

Quote:
had booked it on the 1st day and was given booking number 37.

This is interesting, my number falls within the first 20 at the same dealership, yet, I've not received any calls or mails from them. Hmmm, wonder why.
Old 25th September 2013, 16:48   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why not ride home on the bike? Assuming, they deliver it by then, It'd be a great way to stretch its legs!
my home town is about 2000 kms away (one way),from Bangalore. and guess what.. train tickets are sold out.. flight is frightfully expensive cos of Puja time, and i was actually contemplating biking it.. not on the 390, but my tried and tested work horse - the C5. Issue is i have to travel with my wife and kid.

Quote:
This is interesting, my number falls within the first 20 at the same dealership, yet, I've not received any calls or mails from them. Hmmm, wonder why.
Give them a shout! have you received any mails from them earlier regarding test rides. etc? to check if they got your id correct. Or could it be that i had applied for finance, so they are calling only those to get the paperwork ready, and not all.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 25th September 2013 at 16:52.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 16:58   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We all are going for the D390 because its excellent value for money proposition and for enjoying a safe and powerful ride. But the bike should be free of issues that could make us pull over to the side and stay stranded by the roadside
As a potential owner, I would love to hear about any and all issues that people have faced during their bike ownership. Hearing about D200 issues does make sense to me as I understand the 390 and the 200 share more than a few parts and certainly share the same manufacturing and QC process.

I think the most valuable portion of an independent forum like this is the reportage on the 'negatives' of any new launch. If all I want to hear are the positives of a bike, I may as well visit the manufacturer's/dealers website and leave it at that!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 17:02   #674
BHPian

Quote:
my home town is about 2000 kms away (one way),from Bangalore. and guess what.. train tickets are sold out.. flight is frightfully expensive cos of Puja time, and i was actually contemplating biking it.. not on the 390, but my tried and tested work horse - the C5. Issue is i have to travel with my wife and kid.
Oh Ho!! where is the home town? may be a fun ride, but without the family! considering 4 wheeling it? I love 4 wheel road trips

Quote:
Give them a shout! have you received any mails from them earlier regarding test rides. etc? to check if they got your id correct. Or could it be that i had applied for finance, so they are calling only those to get the paperwork ready, and not all.
For sure I'll call. Tried calling today, but their phones were ringing off the hook and Sandeep had left for the day by the time I reached them (this was before I even saw your post); makes me think something is going on ! I checked my spam/junk but have not gotten emails from them. You may be right in that they may not have my email id entered correctly. What rate of finance have the quoted you? given the finance rates, I decided to pay up-front and not worry about the EMI's since it increases the cost of the bike by more than enough to put an after market exhaust (planning maybe a few months/a year down the line); are you planning on picking up any accessories with it?
Old 25th September 2013, 17:31   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh Ho!! where is the home town? may be a fun ride, but without the family! considering 4 wheeling it? I love 4 wheel road trips
its a small town called Ara, in Bihar and i doubt if i can do that in my 7 yrs old alto.

Quote:
What rate of finance have the quoted you?
I had shown interest in fiance as i was expecting the bike to be delivered by July end. Additional 3 months (aug, sept and now Oct) are helping me manage the entire amount without going for the loan.

Most Viewed