Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2013, 16:51   #796
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
How did you get them off without damage?
The sticker is simply sitting on top of the clear coat if not paint. All you have to do is slowly remove the sticker, use some kerosene or even soap solution to just remove the left over paste from the sticker.

Some decals come out in seconds while the tough one is the one of the tank due to the shape of it. Just go with the flow and dont force the sticker out, It comes out anyway with ease.

Quote:
Wondering if the engine guard is required if you install crash blobs.
I am thrown between two extremes here. I want to get a bigger one as well as remove it as the small ones actually dont seem to be functional any way.

Before the engine hits the handle bar will hit, the brake lever will hit a bit and the tank will take the blow in the current set up. May be it will protect but i am hardly convinced considering i have this humongous crash bar in my bull and it has always protected me everytime

The bike turns head and you can hear conversation around you trying to guess the bike. Some who have no clue of Duke have come to me asking where did i modify the bike
Old 8th October 2013, 16:53   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500modder View Post
Hey ebonho, by engine guard I actually meant crash guard. Wondering if I can take off the crash guard and reduce a couple of kilos of weight when on track. But only if the crash bobs/frame sliders can save the engine cases from a royal scratch-up in the event of a crash.
They hardly weigh anything man. Less than half a kilo (maybe less) for both.
Old 8th October 2013, 16:58   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am thrown between two extremes here. I want to get a bigger one as well as remove it as the small ones actually dont seem to be functional any way.
Crash bobbins only work on good tarmac, track. And help the bike to slide in a lowside. Not in the real world with rocks and stuff.

Quote:
Before the engine hits the handle bar will hit, the brake lever will hit a bit and the tank will take the blow in the current set up. May be it will protect but i am hardly convinced considering i have this humongous crash bar in my bull and it has always protected me everytime
The side you slide, the foot lever always goes. The crash guard goes. The handle grip goes. The handle may or may not take a bit of a beating in terms of a bend. The mirrors fold and swing away, barring some scratches. Nothing happens to anything else, tank, headlight, etc. Most times, the damages are less than 500 bucks.
Old 8th October 2013, 17:17   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quick update folks: Got a call from KTM (not the dealer) - they confirmed that the mud flaps & the hand guards should be there & will arrange to get it installed.

THere was a more serious issue - the rpm shifter had not been set for 5500 & 7500 rpm. (My bike revs with nary a light showing up right until 7500 rpm! I stopped pushing as I did not want to risk damage). They also said that they will instruct the dealer to fix it.

Thanks for all the offers to help, folks.
Old 8th October 2013, 17:23   #800
Senior - BHPian

While most manufacturers in India will be seen coming up with various discount and exchange offers to promote their products, Bajaj will offer ‘on spot’ delivery of its KTM 390 Duke motorcycle during this season !

http://www.motoroids.com/news/spot-d...estive-season/
Old 8th October 2013, 17:30   #801
BHPian

Guys, I don't mean to start a rumor mill or something, but has Bajaj increased the prices of their premium motorcycles?

My dealer called me today for completing the remaining formalities for the delivery and mentioned that the price of Duke 390 has increased by INR 4,000. He also said the Duke 200's price has increased by INR 3,600. Is there any merit to this?

Can those people who have taken deliveries of their 390s in the last two days please confirm the same?
Old 8th October 2013, 18:07   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Guys, I don't mean to start a rumor mill or something, but has Bajaj increased the prices of their premium motorcycles?

My dealer called me today for completing the remaining formalities for the delivery and mentioned that the price of Duke 390 has increased by INR 4,000. He also said the Duke 200's price has increased by INR 3,600. Is there any merit to this?

Can those people who have taken deliveries of their 390s in the last two days please confirm the same?
Which dealer is this ? I made the full payment last week and i am expecting the delivery in a couple of days now from the Vashi dealer. No word of any hike.
Old 8th October 2013, 18:28   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Which dealer is this ? I made the full payment last week and i am expecting the delivery in a couple of days now from the Vashi dealer. No word of any hike.
This is the Vapi (Gujarat) KTM dealer. A thing to note here is that he received his first lot only yesterday. Will that have anything to do with the change in pricing since the ex-factory invoicing would probably have been at a date later than yours?
Old 8th October 2013, 19:46   #804
Senior - BHPian

WHat is the RPM1 & RPM2 setting for a brand new (50km) 390? It is currently set at 10,000 & 5,000. Is this correct?

Out of the box, the RPM was set at 12,000. I am quite shocked. It appears PDI was not done at all.

I would strongly urge people to avoid BTM KTM.
Old 8th October 2013, 20:00   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
This is the Vapi (Gujarat) KTM dealer. A thing to note here is that he received his first lot only yesterday. Will that have anything to do with the change in pricing since the ex-factory invoicing would probably have been at a date later than yours?
I paid up in full on Saturday and the OTR value for my 390 is the same as it was when calculated 3 months ago.

Also, a 4 grand increase basically means a hike in the ex-showroom price which would've surely got massive press coverage.

And since there isn't so much as a single tweet, article or post about this, his claim seems like he's trying to take you for a ride.

Time to call another KTM dealer buddy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
WHat is the RPM1 & RPM2 setting for a brand new (50km) 390? It is currently set at 10,000 & 5,000. Is this correct?

Out of the box, the RPM was set at 12,000. I am quite shocked. It appears PDI was not done at all.

Congos on your 390 Sridhu

Hopefully, I'll be getting my hands on one by the end of this week. KTM Mekhri cashed in the cheque I'd paid for the remainder today morning.

I'd set RPM 2 to 7500 revs and RPM 1 at around 5ish. RPM 1 would give you an indication that you're close to 7.5k and that's the limit that owners are being asked to maintain till the first service is done with.

P.S: I'm still in two minds about going with a full synth oil right after the first service. Doc, got any pointers?

Last edited by MavericK46 : 8th October 2013 at 20:04.
MavericK46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 20:49   #806
Senior - BHPian

Sridhu

The indicator is hardly visible when you ride. A simply guide during first 2000 kms is to let the engine get introduced to speed slowly.

6th gear is anyway open and cruising at 120 is pretty much an indicator that you are at 7500 rpm.

Just don't full throttle this early and shift based on quarter to half throttle

And please remember that its just an indicator and completely adjustable for reference.

I will run in the way I ran in my bull. Just take it slowly to its peak over a couple of thousand kms

Last edited by VW2010 : 8th October 2013 at 21:01.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 00:38   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

Yes they have done the mistake, but you also didn't read the Owner's Manual. In the manual, its clearly mentioned how to Adjust the Shift Speed RPM 1 & RPM 2. Its just a 1 minute job which you could have done while you were writing complaints about the dealer.
Owner's manual is for the OWNERS to read and not otherwise.
Old 9th October 2013, 06:31   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinMakhija View Post
Yes they have done the mistake, but you also didn't read the Owner's Manual. In the manual, its clearly mentioned how to Adjust the Shift Speed RPM 1 & RPM 2. Its just a 1 minute job which you could have done while you were writing complaints about the dealer.
Owner's manual is for the OWNERS to read and not otherwise.
Error..
His question was about the values for RPM 1 and RPM 2 to be set at rather than how to set em.
Best to read the query before jumping the gun mate !
Old 9th October 2013, 06:53   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post

Error..
His question was about the values for RPM 1 and RPM 2 to be set at rather than how to set em.
Best to read the query before jumping the gun mate !
The manual also mentions the values 5k and 7.5k up to first service

Last edited by Added_flavor : 9th October 2013 at 06:56.
Old 9th October 2013, 07:21   #810
Senior - BHPian

@added_flavor: That is what I thought; but the service engineer was saying that they set it at 5K & 10K for the first service on all bikes. I particularly remember the discussion between Sriram & Doc on this matter. So, I was surprised when 7.5k was not mentioned at all.

Just wanted to get a confirmation from the rest of the folks who have already taken delivery at what rpm the shift light comes up.

To clarify the question: if I set the RPM 2 to 7500, will the engine be physically limited to 7500 or is it just an indication but the engine will continue to rev to the 10,500 limit? I suspect the latter from Doc's advise, but wanted confirmation.

@NitinMakhija: you are missing the point. A 12000 RPM limit on a bike with a 10500 RPM limit is not just careless - it is negligent. Wondering what else they have 'forgotten' to do.

Last edited by sridhu : 9th October 2013 at 07:25. Reason: Mistake

Most Viewed