Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2013, 09:08   #1186
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
While everything's super until now, this chain issue is really really annoying the heck outta me. Any way the chain can be tightened? There is wayyyy too much slack on it. And the noise it makes while grazing against something else just destroys the whole experience of riding this bike.
The chain if tightened properly does not make noise. It is quite simple and you can DIY. The manual is quite clear.

My bike requires clutch and chain adjustment every 300 km at least. So I have learnt to adjust both myself. If the clutch level play isn't adjusted gears start becoming clunky.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 15th November 2013 at 09:10.
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 10:13   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The chain if tightened properly does not make noise. It is quite simple and you can DIY. The manual is quite clear.
So the toolkit has tools to tighten the chain or some special set of tools are required for this?
Old 15th November 2013, 10:31   #1188
BHPian

Yes. It requires a bigger wrench to loosen the hex bolt on the right side and a smaller spanner to loosen bolts on either sides. The chain adjustment can be done with bare hands once these bolts are loosened. Both these tools are in the tool kit.

The one's I can't find in the tool kit are a special tool to adjust the suspension and a small allen key to open the 4 bolts on the windscreen/front number plate (If you plan a windscreen DIY).

EDIT: Oh Of course you need a paddock stand to check the chain slack by rotating the wheel (at least at 4 different points of rotation)

Last edited by Added_flavor : 15th November 2013 at 10:33.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 13:19   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Adding to Nasirkaka when you are running low, simply add water. Its a component of any coolant and you can refill coolant once you find a place to buy it when on road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
You mean, adding water to fuel ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
I must express my doubts as well, if you mean adding water to the fuel (when running low).
Junaid and SJD, you folks have totally misread the post by VW2010. He meant adding water to the coolant if you are running low of coolant. Not to the fuel tank. And i think VW first misread the post assuming that you are running low on coolant and missed the discussion of the Fuel Pump.

Hope this clears the air!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 15th November 2013 at 13:21.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 14:41   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
So thanks for your all-round feedback, really helps prospective buyers like me.
I noticed that you are staying in Bangalore , have you heard of indimotard in white field. I think they have duke 200 for rent . Someone told me that they will be getting 390's too. Why don't you try renting it for a day and finding it out for yourself ?
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 15:26   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Why don't you try renting it for a day and finding it out for yourself ?
That would be super! Hadn't heard of this place before, thanks for the tip!

(But first, I need to get my lazy backside down to a showroom for a test ride, Langford KTM is walking distance from my office.)
Old 15th November 2013, 15:43   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
That would be super! Hadn't heard of this place before, thanks for the tip!

(But first, I need to get my lazy backside down to a showroom for a test ride, Langford KTM is walking distance from my office.)
Test rides don't last for more than half an hour. If you rent a bike , you can have it for the whole day all for yourself .You can either take it to office or maybe even for a short highway ride. You can decide if the bike is for you or not. Mind you , KTM 200 and 390 behave quite differently in the city traffic (I am sure you would be aware of this ). I guess it has something to with gearing ratios and stuff.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:06   #1193
BHPian

More on the "Black" D390. http://www.ktm.com/naked-bike/390-du...ml#prettyPhoto

Looks like its going to be a 2014 launch which is not far away.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:16   #1194
BHPian

Got a follow up call from dealer (he somehow missed that I have already bought the 390) informing that there is indication of price increase on the 390 by 15-20K.
Old 15th November 2013, 18:44   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Junaid and SJD, you folks have totally misread the post by VW2010. He meant adding water to the coolant if you are running low of coolant. Not to the fuel tank. And i think VW first misread the post assuming that you are running low on coolant and missed the discussion of the Fuel Pump.

Thanks for clearing our doubt, Abhinav So, how is your Apache faring? You too thinking of upgrading to the Duke?
Old 15th November 2013, 18:51   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

Thanks Doctor. I can breath now . Its totally confusing that a single bike has so many type of liquids used in it.
Old 15th November 2013, 19:04   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys, my bad that i misunderstood in the first place and then confused you by giving a completely unrelated information.

Completed my 1700 today of pure city riding. Cannot believe that my bull has 0 kms post the 390 came. I am taking my bull tomorrow
Old 15th November 2013, 20:29   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Cannot believe that my bull has 0 kms post the 390 came. I am taking my bull tomorrow
that is if it starts...
All the best..

But seriously, even i am tempted every morning to take the 390 instead of C5 for all those horses. But i am holding on as i want to complete the 1000 kms on highway, where i have control over the revs. 600kms done.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 15th November 2013 at 20:32.
Old 15th November 2013, 23:26   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Guys, how do you even manage to ride different motorcycles with ease? The other day I started my Pulsar after a gap of 5 days, and the experience was horrendous. First I could not locate the foot rests in the Pulsar as the Bullet has a wider petrol tank. After that was grasped, faced issues with the gears. Pulsars and Bullets have different gearing techniques and here I was stuck in the middle of the road, when I should be giving 5th , I am giving 3rd and what not . Really if the engine had some voice, it would have screamed at me loud.

How do you all manage guys?
Old 16th November 2013, 00:25   #1200
Senior - BHPian

I guess its just the sheer instinct. The moment I sit on my bull I am already having my left foot down and right foot on gear. Thanks to the neutral shifter I never had problem stalling the bull.

Also I predominantly use the front brakes. Back only in emergency by instinct. So the move to bull has never been a problem. But the bike feels so slow a d underpowered though I was doing good speeds

I love my bull all day and KTM is just capturing its same place.
Mentally prepare and start with clear definition.

Most Viewed