Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 12:51   #1306
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

@Nasirkaka: I have the Roots Windtone horn installed on the 390. (THink it is also known as the 'Skoda horn'). Sufficient for our purposes - even buses pause while changing lanes!

Got it installed for about 600 bucks at Thirumala Auto near Minerva circle (just before JC Road turning). Went for this instead of Stebel because (a) any air horn has a delay, (b) cost & (c) Stebel is illegal.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 12:59   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
@Nasirkaka: I have the Roots Windtone horn installed on the 390. (THink it is also known as the 'Skoda horn'). Sufficient for our purposes - even buses pause while changing lanes!

Got it installed for about 600 bucks at Thirumala Auto near Minerva circle (just before JC Road turning). Went for this instead of Stebel because (a) any air horn has a delay, (b) cost & (c) Stebel is illegal.
Did you remove the stock horn OR installed it switchable like others ?
Old 25th November 2013, 13:29   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

Thanks.. the roots windtone seems like a good idea. Is it a single horn setup or dual? And yes, what about installation? Can we keep then stock wiring as is it and add the roots via a realy? The only concern is should be able to revert back to the stock setup for 2nd service or just in case any warranty related requirements arise.. Any picture of your setup would also be helpful.
i know thirumala as i have bought some uni/k&n filters, etc from them in the past. Shall visit them.
Old 25th November 2013, 13:33   #1309
Senior - BHPian

@Nasirkaka & @lark63: the OE horn is still there but not connected. The Windtone is a dual tone, 2 horn setup. I used the connectors on the Windtone with a jerry rigged connection to the 2nd horn on the other side. So, reverting is quite easy & pain free. The horns are mounted on the allen key connecting the crash guard to the frame.

Did not want to install a switch.

Will post pics later in the day.

Last edited by sridhu : 25th November 2013 at 13:36.
Old 25th November 2013, 16:18   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Did not want to install a switch.

Will post pics later in the day.
Thanks! a pic would make it very clear. Also if you can show through the picture or an explanation of how the connection from the battery is drawn? where are the relay and fuse installed? Or is the thirumala guys know their job and would do a neat work, without our intervention?
Old 25th November 2013, 17:44   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Thanks! a pic would make it very clear. Also if you can show through the picture or an explanation of how the connection from the battery is drawn? where are the relay and fuse installed? Or is the thirumala guys know their job and would do a neat work, without our intervention?

Nasirkaka

Without a switch the diagram is pretty simple and standard for any horns with a relay.

http://www.nathanielsalzman.com/img/...ingDiagram.gif

This is pretty much what you need to do and you can re-use the entire wiring and plugs from your oem horn to not cut or remove wires.

Only thing is from the battery run the wire through a 20A fuse and then to the relay.

What the relay does is, it protects your physical switch which cannot handle the new horns requirement. It will work but continuous action will burn the switch.

So it basically uses the switch to continue to manage the power as if its stock yet supply required power to the new horn.

1) From Battery +ive, through a fuse, to relay.
2) Relay to horn positive (new horn)- port 87
3) Current +ive Horn connection to port 86 in relay
4) Current -Ive Horn connection to port 85 in relay
5) The negative of new horn to earth.

This is pretty much the connection. Just double check with your electrician in case i miswrote the port numbers. But you get an idea right.

Here is one diagram you can use for reference.

http://www.nathanielsalzman.com/img/...ingDiagram.gif

Taken From - http://www.nathanielsalzman.com/diy/...ilus-air-horn/
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 12:24   #1312
BHPian

Booked the Orange at KTM Navi Mumbai yesterday evening!

Quite a hasslefree experience. Promised delivery along with registration is next week mid! Waiting with bated breath now. Will post a ownership thread with complete experience once the bike is in!

By the way, the showroom guys have been telling me that there is an expected price revision coming in the next couple of weeks! And a new black colour too, which corroborates some of the discussion on this thread!

Any tips on pre-delivery checks/confirmations are more than welcome!
palitrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 21:42   #1313
BHPian

The Oak joins the family!

Why that name? My registration number starts with KA03 HT. I saw the number plate reflected on an auto's mirror today and guess what KA03HT spells mirrored?

Took delivery of my 390 a couple of weeks ago from KTM Marathalli after a 4 day wait. I made full cash payment and hence the expedited delivery. Clocked about 300 kms so far. I'm very happy with the bike. No issues so far except for some heat in heavy traffic. Can't complain though; I would like to shake the hand of whoever rides this in traffic in Chennai or Mumbai in April.

I would love to get some advice on the following:

1. I have small hands and wearing gloves causes pain in the thumb joint on my left hand. I need to make the grip thicker so that I can grip the clutch without stretching too much. Are there any options? I used to use racket grips on my Machismo but they don't last at all.

2. I LOVED the sound of the Akra exhaust posted some time back. Will the slip-on have a similar sound signature to the full system? How much would the full system cost? Any idea when it comes to India?

3. What's the best place to purchase a tank pad? I already have a small scratch on the tank and want to prevent any more.

4. Am I stupid or is it impossible to add anything to cart on the performanceracing [dot] in website?

5. The service interval on the MID has changed to 5000km instead of 1000km. Did I do something?

The bike gets dirty too easily. I washed her lovingly and she was a complete mess (in the dry) in less than 20km. Apart from that, I'm looking forward to installing the Fazer windshield for long rides.

Ride safe everyone!

PS - I used to think I had a fast car. I drove my Kizzie after a week of riding the Oak and it feels like a push cart now!

Last edited by Bluu : 27th November 2013 at 21:44.
Bluu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 21:54   #1314
BHPian

Black D390 makes it's way to the European market. Expect it to be introduced here in early 2014. Great news!

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...k-shade/17396/

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktm390dukeblackcolourshadenewcolourimagepicphoto15112013m1_560x420.jpg
Old 27th November 2013, 22:20   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
The Oak joins the family!

Why that name? My registration number starts with KA03 HT. I saw the number plate reflected on an auto's mirror today and guess what KA03HT spells mirrored? ...
A very unique name and more unique is the incident that prompted you. Congratulations on your purchase and wish you safe rides always.

But bro, "picture abhi baaki hai". Where are the pictures of your Oak? Please post some as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Old 28th November 2013, 00:27   #1316
BHPian

Guys took my Duke for a ride through the coastal road down upto Udupi from Goa. total distance done 666 Kms. Had a fair mix of roads. Satin road upto Goa Border, Good roads all the way to Honnavar and Bad Non existent road stretch between Honnavar and Kundapur. Heavy traffic throughout.

Max speed: 130 Kmph and the MID was funny while showing the average. My average is from 64 to 70 Kmpl as per the display, but in real I got about 33 -34 Kmpl with a pretty mix of rides, slow in traffic at 40 Kmph, steady at 90-100 Kmph and some bursts of 120-130 Kmph on some barren stretches. Wind force is a deterrent after 120 Kmph and I guess I will get the Fazer windscreen fitted soon

Got the opportunity to check out my ViaTerra Claw and Hydration pack. The bag sat rock solid on the pillion without budging an inch. It rained heavily while returning to Goa about 65 Kms from my home and I used the rain cover to cover the claw and it did its job perfectly. Unfortunately my jacket zipper gave away during the initial stage of ride and jacket started to fling open and hence had to wear the hydration pack in front instead on the back. As I had filled it with ice cold water. it was a good feeling while riding through the Goa heat in the afternoon, but I could not use it for it's intended purpose ( sip the drink while riding as the tube was out of my reach due to wearing it in the front. so had to stop to sip the cold water)

The 10.5 Ltr tank could become a real concern for cruising as I had to fill her 3 times during this trip ( and this was a small trip per-se). I was conscious about this fact through out the ride and at high speeds the fuel indicator dips rapidly and it always lurks in some corner of one's mind.

I also observed that My Duke does not heat much as it used to, prior to my first service. Infact I have forgotten this issue altogether. and the sound has become much softer ( may be due to carbon deposits in the silencer) 2nd and 3rd gear are clunky as usual. Seat is hard so little butt movements become inevitable, but the ViaTerra Claw made for a good back rest and the ride was pleasant.

Rode through day, night, good roads, bad roads, hot sun, pouring rain, the bike held it steady. Couple of incidence I could recollect are - I was doing about 90 Kmph and across a curve I see 2 tempos going. 1 tempo is on the left side of the road and the second tempo seem to over take the first one at about the mid section of the road. As there was enough road for me to pass, I just try to glide past and suddenly the tempo swears to the right totally blocking the road and the driver having seen me rushing, frantically signalled me to slow down. As I could not overtake him from right I thought to over take him from left between the 2 tempos and right in front of me is a Holy Cow!!!! Reflexes took over and I Just braked hard and flicked the bike behind the cow and in a flash was out of harms way. All I could think was guys danger lurks in a million ways on the road.

then there was this another hard braking. I was returning from Udupi and after Bhatkal ( it was about 8.45 PM in the night), traffic was heavy and I was tired and was riding at 80's speed. There was this right hander curve with downward gradient. I miscalculated the curve and approached it at high speed and suddenly I see the curve is more severe than I had anticipated ( the truth is I had momentarily lost focus and was thinking about dinner and some other stuff and my mind was totally off the road) and then I see that the curve is more severe and I was going off the road for sure and from there it is about 40-50 feet down crevice ( we were getting down from a hill). I was leaning in the middle of the curve with the edge fast approaching, I applied my FRONT brake hard and full, and the bike froze just like that, no skidding, no nakhra, I recouped in that moment and adjusted and let go the brake, shifted to a lower gear and took the curve without any further problem.

I have this habit of using only the front brakes in city upto 60-70 Kmph and during reflex action I had only used the front brake in the middle of a downward gradient curve and the bike held, but I decided to consciously apply both the brakes, and also to really learn riding through the curves with more attention and advise from experts.

I entered Goa while it started raining, tested the braking and did some leaning during heavy rains, got my Samsung mobile screwed ( well almost, now it is ok) coz I just fully wet my jeans with mobile, and then I approached home at Vasco. City traffic was moderate and about 10 Kms from home, I casually overtook 2 bikers with pillions on P220. I dont know what happened to them, one guy ( no helmet no shoes in bermuda and TShirt) with a pillion started ripping his bike. I was doing about 80-90 Kmph and the guy over takes me at 90+, well I just twisted the throttle and overtook him thinking it is all over and I was doing 100 Kmph with all cars and 2 wheelers around and this guy comes from behind at about 110 Kmph with full throttle and determined to beat me at any costs. I thought for a moment, this idiot will risk his life to beat me, and in doing so he may really do something bad for himself, I just let him pass and the guy and his pillion were happy (after over taking after 100 metres he stopped and gave a winning look and I lifted my hand and waved at him acknowledging his victory). Guess all of us returned happy and in 1 piece.

So off to Service center tomorrow for a wash and chain tightening. Last Friday the bike had its first service with 1498 on Odo and in last 6 days added another 778 Kms. Hope to get ready for my ride to Bangalore soon.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dscn1157-copy.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131127_160420-copy.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131127_182954-copy.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dscn1716-copy.jpg  

ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 15:01   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Guys took my Duke for a ride through the coastal road down upto Udupi from Goa. total distance done 666 Kms...

So off to Service center tomorrow for a wash and chain tightening. Last Friday the bike had its first service with 1498 on Odo and in last 6 days added another 778 Kms. Hope to get ready for my ride to Bangalore soon.
Great to hear about the trip ashkamath. The first service is due by 1000kms right? Or did you change the oil before that?

Also, Can you please share some details about the hydration pack? I mean the cost and is there any small pockets on it to accommodate a mobile phone or keys? I was also looking for one. The one I was planning was from the brand Quechua from Decathalon.

Thanks!
Old 28th November 2013, 15:13   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Great to hear about the trip ashkamath. The first service is due by 1000kms right? Or did you change the oil before that?

Also, Can you please share some details about the hydration pack? I mean the cost and is there any small pockets on it to accommodate a mobile phone or keys? I was also looking for one. The one I was planning was from the brand Quechua from Decathalon.

Thanks!
Yup. the First service is due by 1000 kms. I hit 1000 Km mark on Sunday, 17th Nov and took the bike for service directly on Monday, 18th. I was told that the service is by prior appointment and all days are full and next free date is 22nd Friday. So an additional 489 Kms before the first service. But I did get my chain tightened and lubed at 500 Kms intervals.

My hydration pack is a Via Terra Marine 2 Ltr one. It has a small pocket to accommodate mobile phone / keys / docs and is really convenient. During the present ride I put some crushed ice along with water mixed with salt, sugar and lime soln. It was fantastic . I guess it is useful while trekking and cycling too apart from biking tours. I intend to use it on a regular basis as it is quite hot and humid in Goa and a chilled drink on the ride is always welcome, how ever small the ride may be
check out the details here:
http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...d-2288017.aspx
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 15:54   #1319
j76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
3. What's the best place to purchase a tank pad? I already have a small scratch on the tank and want to prevent any more.
Warm welcome to The Oak.

I was thankfully warned by the service advisor that I should get a tank pad. He had a few tankpads starting at Rs.900. Since my 390 was new, felt like I should pamper her and went for the KTM powerparts one which was around Rs.2000.

Here is a snap to help you decide.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-jnik3775001.jpg
j76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 17:06   #1320
Senior - BHPian

@ashkamath: Cool report man. THat curve thing sounds scary!

Basic question: Do you use a full face helmet? If so, how do you use the hydration pack on the road? (I have the same pack). Could not figure it out; so took it off!

Please enlighten.

Thanks.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks