Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 13:57   #1336
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

The service center is the same. However, there is a designated area for Kawasakis and the KTMs. Their mechanics are different as well. Erlier there was this manager called Prasanna who was very good (but he has left). But the new guy (Harsha) is a pain to deal with.
Old 29th November 2013, 17:28   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Ashok its not only you. This is a common tactic used by many touring guys who ride at night, especially on stretches with sparse traffic, with big-gish gaps in civilization. Just make sure you are not tailgating him, dont be so in line with his tyre track that your headlight, even on low beam, irritates him in his ORVM (a moving light, even if not blinding you, is a "target" in your peripheral vision, and hence irritating), and most importantly, don't fixate on his tail lights, but look beyond, so that you can anticipate the traffic and road and his next move. Of course, having ridden with you a long long time ago (in our Pulsar days), you will appreciate this is more for public consumption than for you specifically.
Ahh.. ebonho aka Dr VS. been long time. I still remember the ride to Dharwad, your red pulsar 180 and your challenge for a drag with Bull 500 those days. Guess that made you a bulleteer there after. Good to see old friends again
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 18:24   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Ashok , good to you see you back on bike after Eliminator days .

OT: Even more dangerous habit is to tag volvo buses and to watch a movie running inside the tagging car .

Hehehe Been not riding for many many years and then in July this year, I happen to see a review on the 390. Till then believe me, I had not heard much of KTM. I decided in 5 minutes flat. No test ride, No inquiries, nothing. the deal seemed too good for me, The ABS, Metzeler tyres, 44 BHP, 0-100 in 5.6 sec, the overall package. Booked my 390 on same day. Everything happened in a jiffy and now my 390 has crossed 2500 Kms in 3 and half week since I have laid my hands on her

Life is good with breeze on your face, smiling as other lesser mortals vanish in the RVM and earth hazy beneath you. It is pure flight of ecstasy albeit a little grounded, rather too grounded with the sportecs and I am Loving it and dude black12rr identify yourself pls.
Old 29th November 2013, 18:36   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
rather too grounded with the sportecs
Would you rather it be otherwise?

Quote:
dude black12rr identify yourself pls.
Yeah please. Seems we have another BajajPulsar Yahoo groupie old timer here.
Old 29th November 2013, 23:08   #1340
BHPian

Got this key chain from ebay for 200 bucks. Quality is good, made of rubber but holding fine after continous pull from the denim pockets.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131129_230805.png
Views: 2890
Size:  435.7 KB

I used to get the metallic buzzing sound from the console area but it was due to the metallic key chain I had at that time. Now no problems.
Old 29th November 2013, 23:23   #1341
BHPian

Guys, KTM Orange Day is here at Goa on Saturday, 07th December, 2013 at Go-kart Racing, Nuvem, Panaji-Margao Highway, Salcete-South Goa from 17:30 hours (5 PM) onwards.

Elements Of The Day:

Ride Clinic: The day begins with selected KTM owners who shall get a chance to learn the basics of racing on racetrack from one the country's best race rider. This will be a classroom and a practical session for the riders. Fastest riders shall be identified. *

Service Camp: Have something you would want us to look into? Hop over to our KTM Service Camp and get your bike a free checkup!

Please make a few changes.
Enjoy the KTM experience: Get a chance to meet your fellow KTM fans from the city and together celebrate Orange!
Entry: The entry is only open to owners of KTM 200 Duke and limited 390 Duke customers, Each KTM owner though is welcome to invite one friend/family AND one fellow biker. Limited non KTM premium bikes will be allowed to participate in the event too.

*Please note that only select riders would be eligible for racing basis:
1. Registering for the event as a Participant.
2. Reaching the venue on time at 5:00 PM for registrations. Registrations will close at 5:30 PM.
3. Availability of Safety Gear (Full Face Helmet, Riding Jacket with protection for back shoulder and elbows, Gloves and Riding boots/ankle length shoes)
Limited Riding Kits would be made available at the venue. Available on First come first serve basis.
Kit would include - Knee guards. Will not include Riding Jackets, Gloves, Helmet and Riding Boots.

Those who don't have the KTM Racing T-shirts can rush to their nearest KTM Outlet or we will make the KTM Racing T-shirts available at the venue for sale, please do specify your sizing in the registration form here -

http://goo.gl/sMt26n

Look forward to seeing you at KTM Orange Day Goa!

KTM - Ready to Race India

And I hereby invite all my brethren to Goa to this very first Orange Day event. For those who can't make it, I hear that next KTM Orange day would be in Pune soon.
Old 29th November 2013, 23:31   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Would you rather it be otherwise?
Yeah please. Seems we have another BajajPulsar Yahoo groupie old timer here.
Okie, read grounded as rooted and all is well I guess and yup got to know the identity of another BP Yahoo groups Old timer here too.
Old 30th November 2013, 13:27   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

At a traffic signal this morning, noticed that the coolant cap was missing. :(
Not sure if its got loose on its own or someone fiddled with it. Called up KTM service center and was lucky to find just one spare cap. got it, and fixed it. Did not loose any coolant, and anyways i have the booking for the first service tomorrow.

At the service centre, was told that there are chances of people fiddling with the coolant cap, and the rear disc reservoir cap. Better to keep checking their presence and tightness, regularly. ALso, advisable to buy and stock a couple of coolant cap and a reservoir cap as spare, esp on tours. these spares are quite reasonably priced. RE would have charged thrice
Old 30th November 2013, 20:15   #1344
BHPian

Just received an email that Orange Day stands canceled due to cyclone Leher.

Last edited by Bluu : 30th November 2013 at 20:16. Reason: Grammar
Old 30th November 2013, 20:26   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
I am too going for the V-FLOW "C" screen. 8K is for the naked bike screen which is a little less taller and completely different design. I personally feel the V-Flow suits the 390 more than the RNB screen.
Hey Cyrus, Ashok from Goa here. so finally which windscreen did you decide to go for? the RNB or the V Flow "C"? please let us have the importers address / phone and also the cost and the pics if you have installed the windscreen. even I feel the V-Flow C is more elegant and also higher and wider and more suited for 390. has any one on the forum tried this.

The Fazer windscreen is also good and it costs less than Rs. 300/- but I am not sure how the cable ties will hold at high speeds. that is also an option I am willing to try out
Old 30th November 2013, 20:41   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
This is off-topic, but as this thread seems hijacked into discussing mods, I have one query of my own:

Does anyone else feel the Duke 390 rear-view mirrors to be inadequate? The mirrors are fine, and do not fold up at high-speeds due to air-resistance drag, but they really do not give a wide-enough view of the rear. I have to move my elbows out of the way and struggle to get a view of the space directly behind the bike. Does anyone have any solution?
I am 5'7" and for my height, the RVM are just fine. But I have to arch my neck a bit to the side as the position of RVM are a in my peripheral vision so to say.

The other day I was the service center to get the chain tightened and lubed and a new 390 was being delivered. I stood around the bike while the service advisor explained the bike to the new buyer and I noticed that the rear hugger, saree guard, the knuckle guards ( hand guards specifically for 390s), both the RVM's were missing. I brought it to the notice of the service advisor that RVM's are not fitted. To my utter surprise I found that the owner had asked the RVMs to be removed along with rear hugger, saree guard, knuckle guards etc and neatly packed in a box to be carried home. The young boy explained me that he never used the RVM and my sermons on safety fell on deaf ears. As I watched he and his friend mounted bike and off they took off with full throttle and racing on the road, No helmet, No shoes nothing

Such is the poor state of mind of the youngsters for safety and with more powerful bikes coming, scary thought
Old 30th November 2013, 21:01   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Got my D390 Delivered from Marathahalli KTM today. Delivery process was quick and smooth. Rode around the city for some 45kms in the city. Like the 200 the bike feels like a dynamite in traffic. Coming from a Royal Enfield, the heat was eminent in slow moving traffic.

The ride as expected was on the stiffer side and later after checking the tire pressure it was 30(F) and 39(R). Lowered it to 25(F) and 31(R). The ride felt plush after that.

Keeping the bike below 5k is really difficult. It just urges you go on and on. All in all Just feeling awesome about the money well spent!

Shift from 1-2 and 2-3 felt a bit clunky. Is this normal?
Old 30th November 2013, 21:58   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Guys,

Got my D390 Delivered from Marathahalli KTM today. Delivery process was quick and smooth.

Keeping the bike below 5k is really difficult. It just urges you go on and on. All in all Just feeling awesome about the money well spent!

Shift from 1-2 and 2-3 felt a bit clunky. Is this normal?
Congrats on your 390. Wish you tons of fun ahead.

Regarding the gear shifts, I follow a simple thumb rule.
1st gear - obviously starting
2nd gear at about 20 Kmph (+/1 3 or 4 Kmph)
3rd gear at about 30 Kmph (+/1 5 Kmph)
4th gear at about 40 Kmph (+/- 5 Kmph)
5th gear at about 5o Kmph (+/- 5 Kmph)
6th gear at about 60 Kmph on wards.

Initially I did it consciously watching the speedo while shifting, then it becomes easy as you get to know the revvs and the sound better.

Again how do you say if you shifted to a higher gear too early. say from 3rd to 4th. at say 25 Kmph. The RPM drops and you hear the knocking sound.
Now how do you say if you shifted to a higher gear too late, say from 3rd to 4th at 90 Kmph, even then you see the RPM hovering pretty much more.

once these parameters are known, then gear shifting at the right spot becomes easy and one can ride comfortably at every speed in the right gear in the right RPM and then you will feel you could ride comfy in any lower rpms

and yes Shift from 1-2 and 2-3 are clunky. it is normal. for me, even 3 to 4 is faintly clunky, 4-5 and 5-6 is pretty smooth ( but I seem to always have a slot between 5 and 6, so it like 5-5.5-6 (click-click) between 5 and 6.
Old 30th November 2013, 22:36   #1349
BHPian

Hi guys, i was really interested installing the KTM powerparts tank pad, but did not feel it to be worth that kinda moolah. Instead i've got the area where the tank pad would be installed vinyl wrapped with carbon fibre look-alike sheet. It looks ok, Please look through the pics and provide feedback guys. I think this would do the job without burning a hole through your pockets
Old 30th November 2013, 23:47   #1350
BHPian

I have been thinking of asking this for some time now. I am getting fatigued while riding my 390. I am the type of rider who could or used to ride hours n hours n hours without a care for food or drink or butt stops on my Elim and Pulsar. But with the 390 I am observing that I am getting tired pretty much soon. The other day while returning from some work about 60 Kms from home, I was literally forced to stop about 15 Kms to home for a couple of minutes rest and a drink ( soft drink I mean). this has happened a couple of times and now I have made a habit to carry a bottle of water or fruit juice with me always ( I never ever had this habit or this experience earlier with any of my previous rides)

Is it the wind force, acceleration, vibrations at hand or feet, exhaust note, stiffness, heat n humidity of coastal place where I reside, engine heat, riding angle / position ( my palms, shoulder tend to ache as I ride with a bent position with full load of body on my palms). I really don't know. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this or I have to concede that my age has truly caught up with me and keep perennial stock of red bulls in my riding bag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks