Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:55   #1396
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Trust me. The Fazer one looks best. I recall no one else had fitted this when I did on a Sunday. I saw another guy from another forum (also a Puneite)doing the same thing at least a month later with photos etc. Not bragging or laying copyright claims to the idea. Just feel protective towards it is all.
I heard some one saying. A proper windshield actually increases the performance of the bike with the aerodynamics in place. so let me check this out. The Fazer windshields are out of stock in Goa. will get it this week end.
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:57   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I heard some one saying. A proper windshield actually increases the performance of the bike with the aerodynamics in place. so let me check this out. The Fazer windshields are out of stock in Goa. will get it this week end.
So that brings me to the reaosn I took it off.

As a Bulleteer, and someone who has always owned and ridden naked bikes, I can live with wind on a 140 kmph bike. I cannot live with even one of those 140 kays being lost as a result of something I add to help with the wind.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd December 2013 at 18:59.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:09   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Thanks.. the roots windtone seems like a good idea. Is it a single horn setup or dual? And yes, what about installation? Can we keep then stock wiring as is it and add the roots via a realy? The only concern is should be able to revert back to the stock setup for 2nd service or just in case any warranty related requirements arise.. Any picture of your setup would also be helpful.
i know thirumala as i have bought some uni/k&n filters, etc from them in the past. Shall visit them.
Nasirkaka: Some images. THe cable tie inside the frame is holding the relay.

THey had actually not installed a relay the first time around. Went back & got it installed. No skinning; but they ran clip-wire leads off the original terminal to connect to the relay as it only takes wire ends.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131128_155837.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131128_160033.jpg  

sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:06   #1399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post

No, and I am looking for your diagnosis very intently

Worse, I also have to deal with a noise of some plasticky grinding sound everytime I travel over some moderate roads. Not good roads, not bad roads, but the average ones. It's killing me and I still have a good 300 km to go before first service. Is anyone going to Pune or Nasik soon? Please take my bike and clock those 300 kms for me, this is driving me nuts.
Stop looking at the console and focus on the coolant reservoir vibrating against the tank cover.
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:50   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Doc. you are still the same . WIll install the FZ windshield and we will have a blast with the money saved when I ride down to Pune next time. Let me see if I can improve on the DIY. Just curious. what other bike windshield option ( Bull / avenger etc) do I have which could fit the bill other than FZ windshield
When I installed the Fazer windscreen initially it was on the four existing screws, but I felt the need to move it little higher hence I then fit it on the number plate holder and also I felt the need to give it a slight inclination to make it more aerodynamic to avoid wind turbulence (it works) hence the use of cable ties which also help in removing the little vibrations.

Last week I had the opportunity to lay my hands on the CBR250 windscreen. You have seen the Fazer windscreen fit photos. See the below pics with CBR windscreen, note the fitting; very easy and it avoids using the four screws on the headlight body and we just need two 2" long metal strips for separate permanent number plate fitment. Now I can vouch that functionally both of them are same. Quality wise the Fazer one is much much better and it handles high speed winds better. Looks are subjective I don't have problem with either. See and decide for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc01812.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc01813.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc01814.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc01815.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc01816.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc01818.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc01820.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131130_135846.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc01800.jpg  

mrohit17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:17   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
When I installed the Fazer windscreen initially it was on the four existing screws, but I felt the need to move it little higher hence I then fit it on the number plate holder and also I felt the need to give it a slight inclination to make it more aerodynamic to avoid wind turbulence (it works) hence the use of cable ties which also help in removing the little vibrations.

Last week I had the opportunity to lay my hands on the CBR250 windscreen. You have seen the Fazer windscreen fit photos. See the below pics with CBR windscreen, note the fitting; very easy and it avoids using the four screws on the headlight body and we just need two 2" long metal strips for separate permanent number plate fitment. Now I can vouch that functionally both of them are same. Quality wise the Fazer one is much much better and it handles high speed winds better. Looks are subjective I don't have problem with either. See and decide for yourself.
I feel the fazer windshield is better than CBR250. will get it this week end. Thanks Mohit for all the hard work done. I really appreciate it.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:52   #1402
Senior - BHPian

One funny quirk of the Fazer windhshield which I noticed the first night I rode the bike with it installed was that since it is black tinted, the orange light of the display reflects off the windshield in a semicircular arc. It both looks cool but it can equally be a bit distracting in your peripheral vision.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:20   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Nasirkaka: Some images. THe cable tie inside the frame is holding the relay.

THey had actually not installed a relay the first time around. Went back & got it installed. No skinning; but they ran clip-wire leads off the original terminal to connect to the relay as it only takes wire ends.
Thans for the pics. Now that i am done with my first service, i can go ahead with the horn mod. I did not understand your explanation of wiring details above. If i just go to thirumala, and ask them to install the roots with a relay, will they be able to do it on the bike in a way, where the change is reversible, incase of any warranty related issues? also, an indication of the total approx cost involved? and lastly, how much better are the roots compared to OEM? Any specific model for the horn and relay which i have to ask for?
Quote:

Looks are subjective I don't have problem with either. See and decide for yourself.
Do you suggest that CBRs is easier to fit compared to fazers? also what are the cost difference between the two?
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:17   #1404

An owner finally !!!

This is on behalf of a friend:

Just Back from the Indiranagar showroom,Bangalore after seeing the bike which has to be registered.
I went for Bajaj Finance, so the down-payment cheque has to be realized before delivery.

Did start the bike in the parking lot below the showroom to see a few things. It shows 1km run which should be ok i guess. Its was a very dark place to be able to see coolant and break fluid level. I was assured by Paul (I guess he along with Sandeep are showroom managers for Marthahalli & Indiranagar) that if anything, will be taken care in the bike . I told him that the fuel level indicated that its just below reserve and told him to fill-up some more before delivery. He said he would. Asked about the KTM power-part Windscreen, its not in stock now,costs rs 2550 . I got the whole list of KTM power-parts cost from them. Some are really ridiculous .

Sorry couldn't click pics since it was at a very dark place. I am planning to take delivery on Saturday so that I can do some PDI with some free time.
Owners can you please point me to things to be checked specifically. Super excited now , finally after so much waiting ...

Thanks,
Sanjoy
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:52   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thans for the pics. Now that i am done with my first service, i can go ahead with the horn mod. I did not understand your explanation of wiring details above. If i just go to thirumala, and ask them to install the roots with a relay, will they be able to do it on the bike in a way, where the change is reversible, incase of any warranty related issues? also, an indication of the total approx cost involved? and lastly, how much better are the roots compared to OEM? Any specific model for the horn and relay which i have to ask for?
Basically, yes, Nasirkaka. You obviously need to be with them. I got Roots Windtone Horns & a Roots relay. Told them "NO SKINNING/ NO STRIPPING" about 5 times. The horn was about 550; Relay 75. Installation was 250 as I did it in 2 gos but about 100-150 should cover it. They also have some "musical relay" which might be ok - will prevent the horn from burning out if you keep the button pressed in frustration. (I did not go with this)

The horn is loud enough for highway purposes - makes the truck drivers look in the mirror. The stock horn is useless!
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:55   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
Do you suggest that CBRs is easier to fit compared to fazers? also what are the cost difference between the two?
No what I am suggesting is the way I have fit the windscreen is very simple. The number plate holder is very sturdy and we do not need to fiddle with the rubber bolts this way thus avoiding their wear.

The Fazers is direct fit after drilling suitable holes at the lowest possible position. For CBR's you need to first cut off excess mounting parts meant for fitting on CBR keeping in mind to extract the best possible length. Both the windscreens have a height of about 1 ft. from the fitting point. The CBR's is slightly wider but functionally both are quite same.

CBR's costs Rs.350 and is quite flimsy and at high speeds tends to bend due to wind load. Fazers costs Rs.250 is very sturdy and at high speeds bears wind load nicely.
mrohit17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 10:01   #1407
BHPian

4 punctures is the last 2 weeks. Am I the only one facing this issue? I never ever go off roading. However, the Bangalore roads anyway look like dried river beds. Even in a jam I try to be as close to the divider as possible. Any idea do Michelin Pilots come for the duke or not?
Old 4th December 2013, 11:22   #1408
BHPian

Guys, after getting the low fuel level and riding for about 15 Kms or so I got my tank filled to the brim. The tank took only 7.65 Ltrs ( Rs. 450/- in Goa at rs. 58.81 per ltr). This is the 3rd or 4th time I am down to low fuel level and the refill up to the brim is always less than Rs. 500/-. max I paid was Rs. 460/- to fill her up to the brim ( that is 7.82 Ltrs). So if the fuel tank capacity is 11 Ltr and reserve is 1.5 Ltr I should fill around 9 Ltrs at least. I am off that mark by over 1 and quarter ltrs.

Should I run the bike dry once to really check how much she will ride after the low fuel level indicator and then check how much she will really fill?

Another thing. the downloaded 390 manual mentions the engine oil grade to be 15W50. But my mechanic recommended 10W40 which is what I got him during the service. Should I stick to 10W40 or next time change to 15W50? Anybody tried both ( of course at different times )???

Last edited by ashkamath : 4th December 2013 at 11:34. Reason: more info
Old 4th December 2013, 11:34   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the 3rd or 4th time I am down to low fuel level and the refill up to the brim is always less than Rs. 500/-. max I paid was Rs. 460/- to fill her up to the brim ( that is 7.82 Ltrs). So if the fuel tank capacity is 11 Ltr and reserve is 1.5 Ltr I should fill around 9 Ltrs at least.
Post reserve its 3 litres. You can do another 50-60kms depending on the type of road you are in.

I usually refill once i hit 230-245 kms and i fill around 9.2-9.6L
Old 4th December 2013, 11:38   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
No what I am suggesting is the way I have fit the windscreen is very simple. The number plate holder is very sturdy and we do not need to fiddle with the rubber bolts this way thus avoiding their wear.

The Fazers is direct fit after drilling suitable holes at the lowest possible position. For CBR's you need to first cut off excess mounting parts meant for fitting on CBR keeping in mind to extract the best possible length. Both the windscreens have a height of about 1 ft. from the fitting point. The CBR's is slightly wider but functionally both are quite same.

CBR's costs Rs.350 and is quite flimsy and at high speeds tends to bend due to wind load. Fazers costs Rs.250 is very sturdy and at high speeds bears wind load nicely.
Thanks. So the fazer's it is for me. Will try and get one this saturday, and also the roots. Any idea where i can but the fazer's windshield in Bangalore? JC road?
Quote:
The tank took only 7.65 Ltrs ( Rs. 450/- in Goa at rs. 58.81 per ltr).
i also want to shift to goa.

Quote:
Should I run the bike dry once to really check how much she will ride after the low fuel level indicator and then check how much she will really fill?
Avoid is possible. Why take chance burning an expensive fuel pump.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks