Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 09:43   #256
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
You know Doc, I hope Bajaj realizes the great job you're doing for the Duke here. Your very detailed matter-of-fact reviews and not over-the-top appreciation for the 200 and 390 is the only reason I'm still seriously considering what is IMHO one of the most garish looking bikes around (too much orange! ) Thanks for the effort.
Can't agree more, am1m. His inputs are so balanced and truly reflect his depth of insights and experience on the subject. I had some apprehensions about Duke and I ignored it completely, earlier. Doc's comments on the subject encouraged me to take a test ride and now I am a convert. Team BHP is great because of the comrades like Doc
SanthoshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 22:20   #257
BHPian

Has anybody who has ridden or seen the 390 notice if the clutch and brake levers are the same as the 200 ,considering the clutch is hydraulic?

The reason is I plan to fit adjustable billet levers and have found a suitable set, cant wait to get them!

Its a case of the cart before the horse
Old 13th July 2013, 22:26   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Has anybody who has ridden or seen the 390 notice if the clutch and brake levers are the same as the 200 ,considering the clutch is hydraulic?
Clutch when I saw was still cable driven , no hydraulic .You can see in the below pic .

Last edited by black12rr : 13th July 2013 at 22:27.
black12rr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 23:21   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Clutch when I saw was still cable driven , no hydraulic .You can see in the below pic .
Great! thanks, Now where did I think I read it was hydraulic

So the levers are the same then.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting a post with pics included, since it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th July 2013 at 12:59.
Old 14th July 2013, 13:25   #260
BHPian

Visited the KTM Store on DP Road last evening with my wife as she wanted to see the 390. A RC 8 was psrked right at the entrace followed by the 'Enduro' (do not remember the model name) and the Duke twins. A Green & a White N300 & a N650 were parked at the other end, near the reception desk. She went straight towards the Ninjas & said 'This is nice. Good choice. Even I prefer the White. Is the Green a new color for the Duke?' I didn't know what to say..
The Test bikes are expected by monday. They are planning a test ride event at Hinjewadi next Sunday but havent finalized the exact location (Phase 1/2)
Reason for the delay 'the strike at the Chakan plant'. Expected delivery is 1st week of August.
Old 15th July 2013, 13:04   #261
Senior - BHPian

Did see the bike in the showroom yesterday and was surprised to see that it did not come with the steel braided brake lines. When the KTM Duke 200 came with it why not its bigger brother?
Old 15th July 2013, 13:15   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Did see the bike in the showroom yesterday and was surprised to see that it did not come with the steel braided brake lines. When the KTM Duke 200 came with it why not its bigger brother?
Are you sure of this Mahesh? Which showroom was this?
I remember seeing steel lines on the one in the Indiranagar showroom when I went to book mine. Would be very disappointed if they take this away for the 390.
But then it should be a simple lift and fix from the 200, in the worst case.
Old 15th July 2013, 13:19   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You did not see it because the steel braided lines and now covered with plastic sleeve .
Old 15th July 2013, 14:14   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Are you sure of this Mahesh? Which showroom was this?
Niranjan,
Stopped over at the KTM Showroom off Mekhri Circle. The showroom was closed and could see (not touch) the bike on display since it was pretty close to the Huge Glass Wall. Pretty much sure that it had only rubber and the web pages also look like rubber.

Buying and changing after paying 212K does not look all right especially when they say READY TO RACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
You did not see it because the steel braided lines and now covered with plastic sleeve .
Mate, from what I could see it was rubber and no plastic sleeve. Here are the 2 links please do review them closer. Probably Doc might be able to advise us further. Not too sure how I can get his attention to this query unless I PM Him.

http://www.ktm.com/in/naked-bike/390...ml#prettyPhoto[mixed]/10/

http://www.ktm.com/in/naked-bike/200...l#.UeO0xfk0WuI

Observe the first one and compare it to the second view. The 200 has a shining steel braided compared to the black ones on 390

PS: Would not want to buy that the company has put a plastic sleeve and mar the looks of the already good looking steel braided lines. Why would any company want to do that especially when KTM Duke are visually quite appealing? And not to mention the added cost of these plastic sleeve

Last edited by ku69rd : 15th July 2013 at 14:21.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 16:14   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Niranjan,
Pretty much sure that it had only rubber and the web pages also look like rubber.

PS: Would not want to buy that the company has put a plastic sleeve and mar the looks of the already good looking steel braided lines. Why would any company want to do that especially when KTM Duke are visually quite appealing? And not to mention the added cost of these plastic sleeve
Please see: http://overdrive.in/features/top-5-t...-ktm-390-duke/

The article states that "Despite what they look like, those hoses are indeed braided items, just covered in black plastic, unlike the ‘naked’ hoses of the 200."

It is braid covered in rubber.

Note from Support - Post edited to confirm to forum rules. Please read your post before submitting it, as it could come across as impolite to others. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th July 2013 at 17:33.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 17:42   #266
Senior - BHPian

These Metzeler tires are indeed expensive. I checked a few online stores such as Bike Bandit and Motorcycle Superstore and they are quoting around US $ 350 for a pair.

Pretty steep i must say but reviews point that these perform really well in dry as well as wet conditions.

I expect Bajaj to price it at a premium but only time will tell. This should be one of most expensive bits on the bike that needs replacement every now and then.
Old 15th July 2013, 17:51   #267
BHPian

Test rides have started in the Chennai showroom in Adyar. Timings are 9 - 1 and 2 - 5. You need to bring your drivers license. When I went today, the showroom employees didn't insist on riding pillion. They just handed me the bike and asked me to enjoy myself.

Recommend you take your own helmet , of course. What I have to say about the bike pretty much mirrors everyone else's opinion.
Old 15th July 2013, 18:08   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Please see: http://overdrive.in/features/top-5-t...-ktm-390-duke/

The article states that "Despite what they look like, those hoses are indeed braided items, just covered in black plastic, unlike the ‘naked’ hoses of the 200."
Thanks Sridhu, but to the naked eyes it did seem to be regular rubber lines. My apologies if it meant a lot to you
Old 15th July 2013, 18:38   #269
BHPian

Wonder what the benefits are of covering steel braided lines in plastic? I might remove the plastic cladding unless it serves some purpose - looks better with no cladding to my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
These Metzeler tires are indeed expensive. I checked a few online stores such as Bike Bandit and Motorcycle Superstore and they are quoting around US $ 350 for a pair.
I was quoted 12.5K for the 150/60/17 Metzeller M5s here a couple of months back. I am actually hoping the rates go down a bit now that this is available as stock on the 390.
Old 15th July 2013, 20:54   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post

I was quoted 12.5K for the 150/60/17 Metzeller M5s here a couple of months back. I am actually hoping the rates go down a bit now that this is available as stock on the 390.
12.5K for a single tyre or pair?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks