Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2013, 11:32   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
But in the same post its mentioned that post 140 wind blast is a real pain.
Forget 140 ,if you hold more than 130 for sustained riding , you neck should start hurting the next day .Unless you are motogp rider .But its good to have reserve speeds headups for short bursts .
Old 19th July 2013, 13:09   #287
BHPian

The full report by Xeno.
http://www.iamabiker.com/xeno/2013/k...t-ride-report/
Old 19th July 2013, 14:26   #288
Senior - BHPian

Here is a review from my morning test ride. Chennai showroom honestly "SUC.k.s". Their test drive is in a crowded road with very minimal chance to test the bike. But you do get to understand the bike very little. With that limited scope here is my feedback.

I currently ride a 500(last 8 years) for reference and have had my hands on honda 250, pulsar and the current 200cc's.

Posture and built:- I am 6'1'. I had no issues adjusting to the bike. In fact for my height the handle bar is actually comfortable while the gear pegs and brakes pegs are something you will have to get used to.

Exhaust note

Exhaust note is mild and a bit hollow to me. The bike has similar vibration profile to the pulsars and even the 200. The exhaust note gets finer at higher speed.

Drive

The drive is exactly similar to any 200-250 cc we have in market now. Except that post 6000 rpm or so there is a beast that wakes up and probably tells you to throttle a little more and enjoy the pull. Even with two people on board the bike will give so much confidence to pull away from traffic or to overtake.

Few things to consider. The engine will not run at lower speeds in higher gears. Even second gear is not your first choice in traffic even if its moving at 10-15kmph. The gearing is tall. Cruising engine speed is going to be very comfortable. Below 6000rpm and doing 100kmph is going to be the best thing on this bike. But be assured from 6000 rpm the bike lets you discover a sudden surge of power that will leave you smiling for a bit.

Handling is terrific for these traffic. Getting in and out of traffic is not going to be a problem and the brakes are way ahead of what we have seen in this segment.

The rider is going to get assurance on riding at different conditions. I am not saying arrogance because its possible with the power and brakes. But for many of us the assurance and trust on the machine to do what you want will go up for many of us.

Heat is not a problem. Common i ride the CI 500 and i can only say the heat is comparable. Horn is pretty weak.

From 500 riding this bike makes you feel you are on top of a light weight motor "Cycle" and not a power machine. But handling hardly changed to me as the bike is quite good in handling department for even the short ride i had.

Did it create a wow factor at this point - Not exactly. Will i still go ahead and continue to wait? Most probably.

Are there any chance to cancel my booking - May be. Mostly on the guilt of over buy and not because i dont like the bike.

I LOVE it.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 14:26   #289
BHPian

came across this funny video on You Tube D 390 vs CDR 250

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th July 2013 at 18:07.
coolrain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 15:33   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Here is a review from my morning test ride. Chennai showroom honestly "SUC.k.s". Their test drive is in a crowded road with very minimal chance to test the bike.
Yeah, the new ktm showroom is a shadow of its original. Cramped, dingy, smells weird and is hidden behind trees.

As for a test ride route, when there is a lot of traffic on that road, there is usually very little traffic near the beach (unless it's a weekend evening). If recommend you head towards besant Nagar, use the beach stretch for speed tests, then head to Beasant Ave for the long 90 degree sweeper, and then head back thorough and the theosophical society, which, again is a perpetually empty road and good for brake tests.

As for a test ride route, when there is a lot of traffic on that road, there is usually very little traffic near the beach (unless it's a weekend evening). If recommend you head towards besant Nagar, use the beach stretch (C to D on map below) for speed tests, then head to Beasant Ave for the long 90 degree sweeper (point E), and then head back thorough and the theosophical society, which, again is a perpetually empty road and good for brake tests (G to H).

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=1st+Ave,+Shastri+Nagar,+Adyar,+Chennai, +Tamil+Nadu+600020,+India&daddr=2nd+Ave+to:6th+Ave nue+to:Elliot's+Promenade+to:Besant+Avenue+Rd+to:4 th+Avenue+Link+Rd+to:4th+Avenue+Link+Rd+to:4th+Ave +to:Unknown+road+to:1st+Ave&hl=en&sll=13.002153,80 .26032&sspn=0.018106,0.033023&geocode=FXZhxgAdBKLI BCm5-GRj8mdSOjEJrgXcermj9g%3BFVtMxgAdmsnIBA%3BFYNNxgAdb tTIBA%3BFbpnxgAdkNvIBA%3BFZB4xgAdoNHIBA%3BFUJ8xgAd S7zIBA%3BFUhsxgAdybvIBA%3BFfxmxgAdSsfIBA%3BFeFmxgA dVrnIBA%3BFYphxgAddaDIBA&mra=mi&mrsp=9&sz=16&t=m&z =16

Last edited by Zappo : 24th July 2013 at 14:42. Reason: Connected posts merged
Old 19th July 2013, 17:25   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
. Engine heat was an irritation while waiting for the green lights, even though I was riding in heavy rain. I think it will be intolerable on a mid day ride in heavy traffic, during the summer. However when the bike was on the move, I did not feel it at all. My purpose is to use it strictly for cross country runs. Hence ignoring this glitch completely.
Hi I heard from a reliable source, that this "glitch" is being taken care of in the production bikes.They are fitting a deflector behind the radiator, when the fan switches on at 96degrees c it the hot air can be uncomfortable to the rider in hotter climates.

All the bikes being sold will have this feature, so no toasted family jewels
motocamp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 19:09   #292
BHPian

Even i test rode the D390 at the connaught place showroom. The test ride was quite short ( Just the inner circle ) but i had a blast riding the motorcycle. I ride an Apache 150 so the power difference was quite evident from the time i twisted the throttle. The only problem i had was at first i stalled the bike and then it took several tries ( maybe 6-7 starts ) to get the bike started. Other than that it was an awesome experience.

I am waiting for the second lot to come with the glitches all sorted out and then i will book it there and then .

Regards
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 23:34   #293
Senior - BHPian

Chennai folks, if interested i am planning to cancel my booking. I will lose 4k but if someone is planning to block, you can use my slot and we can work it out with the dealer somehow and i can save myself from losing the 4K
Old 20th July 2013, 04:26   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrain View Post
came across this funny video on You Tube D 390 vs CDR 250

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ayHRdvGNMvw
That's a crazy edit. Nice job by whoever did it. It captures the emotions of a few ppl here.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:11   #295
BHPian

Ok guys, time for my short review.
I have booked my 390 in Bangalore. I am currently in Pune and thought, I will check with the Pune dealers if a test drive is available. I called up KTM Bundgarden today and confirmed that they have the test drive vehicle.
I went there around 4 and it was drizzling. The KTM guy said, I can take a test drive within their showroom premises. It's inside a small campus and I could test it inside the empty car parking lot.
The test drive bike has the glitches that are discussed at length in this forum and xbhp. The bike had some difficulty starting up. Needed a few attempts to come to life. I stalled the bike and I was pretty much sure I did not dump the clutch. Managed to crank it again and headed to the parking lot. The parking lot is about 60m in length and was empty. I revved and there it goes. I could only change to 2nd gear. Managed to easily reach 50kmph in that short burst, although I could only manage 2nd gear. I had to brake hard and there the ABS came to life. The bike doesn't slide or skid. The braking is incredible and predictable. The Metzelers provides the much needed grip. Couldn't manage to do a 360 in the basement as the tires had massive grip. I did the basement, back and forth at least a dozen times and boy, my head was spinning. It's incredibly powerful and I can tell you it's a totally different beast when compared to the 200. The high gearing is an absolute bliss.
I realize that this bike will be an absolute blast to ride. At one point I was braked so late, I thought I will end up crashing the wall, but the bike obeyed and stopped with ease. I just realized the importance of ABS. It's absolutely a must on these bikes. I am sure the tires helped to a great extent.
Even in this short test ride, I stalled the bike 4-5 times, I am sure it was not my error. Whenever this happens, the bike struggles to start again. Needs 5-6 tries and an ignition cycle. I just hope that all those small niggles are sorted out in the production version. These small niggles are genuine defects that we will definitely not be able to live with.

I got big cramps in my shoulder in this short stint itself. I was telling myself, "Get back to the gym, if I have to enjoy this monster".

"390 is slower than 200, it's not as angry as the 200, it's not as much fun". I have now confidently put this thought to rest.

Time for some shiny new riding gear
hellraizer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 00:24   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Just bare in mind the ABS is doing nothing until the tyre actually starts to skid.
A good set of disk brakes coupled with some good sticky tyres can do wonders to stop any motorcycle.

I'm not downplaying the goodness of ABS. I wish I had it on several of my previously owned motorcycles as it would have kept me from locking up the front wheel and dumping the bike. I merely want to remind people that ABS by itself will not greatly reduce the distance needed to stop. In fact, when it is activated it will increase the required distance.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 22nd July 2013 at 00:25.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:27   #297
BHPian

Managed to get the test ride of the new duke 390 at the new chennai showroom.

The showroom is small, no issues with that but the visibility is bad and there wasnt any info on the ktm website. Spent around 30 mins finding the showroom. Finally reached around 5:30 pm. Was told that the test ride time is up as its only till 5pm.

Just hung around, collected all the brochures,spent time checking the delicious RC8 and the unknown offroad beauty.

Spoke to the lady once again, requested a test ride, and she obliged. Extremely nice on the part of the sales people there. My friend took the ride first, was asked to take a small spin, and he duly did just that.

I took the bike next - with much trepidation and excitement...

The bike sounds much much better than the duke 200. I hated the 200s exhaust note (i compare it with my RTR eFi - easily the best exhaust note amongst indian bikes). Compared to the pitter patter of the 200 the 390 is properly bassy.

Next the heat- the bike was continuously in use, heat was excessive added to the fact that i was wearing shorts. Its definitely a point to keep in mind that this bike can get literally hotter.

Performance - I deliberately took a longer route. i was pottering around in 2nd gear and then throttled hard. WOW. that accelaration was frenetic, I have ridden the duke 200 but this is way better! and the turn near theosophical society, the bike was laughing at me when i thought i was pushing it. I really knew this bike is for me. On the way back, I think i let go of the clutch too quickly as the bike shut down. It dint start immediately. Quite embarassing as I have stalled the bike in the middle of the road. The temp bar was very high. Pushed it to the side, waited for a couple of mins, started it and set back to the dealership.

I for one was very very impressed. The brakes, the grip, that power. What is a concern would be that heat, that starting glitch if it really is one, After sales service, maintenance and I personally am worried about how that exhaust would cope up with our flooded roads.

Estd Delivery date is 90 days from booking.

cheers! hope to own one quickly!
sai
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:22   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is a concern would be that heat, that starting glitch if it really is one, After sales service, maintenance and I personally am worried about how that exhaust would cope up with our flooded roads.

Check out more videos on under belly exhaust test

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd July 2013 at 07:52.
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:34   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Got an email from the dealer to get started with the loan process for the motorcycle. I hope this is some indication that deliveries are coming up soon. The wait has been painful. With no official ride reports for the 390, it looks like the owners are going to be reporting more than journalists.
Hi Sandeepmohan,

From which dealer did you book your bike. Just wanted to know where does my booking stands in terms of delivery. I was told that I am booking No. 131 at KTM Indira Nagar.

Getting anxious because this is the first time in the last 10-12 years that I'm without a bike, and the Bangalore traffic doesn't help the cause either.

Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:04   #300
BHPian

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/350...+Articles+feed

On one side there's Autocar saying deliveries will start by month end.

On the other side we don't have concrete reviews out yet.

As per dealerships, thanks to Bangalore RTO we are not getting test rides here yet.

What's happening guys!
Added_flavor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed