Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2013, 19:18   #646
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Yes, I agree to you fully but braking and engine heating issues are not small to go unnoticed during the testing stage itself.
And when it comes to the CBR250, Honda is offering extended warranty for five years for a nominal amount.
I agree on the point that Bajaj/KTM is offering only 2 years warranty. It would have been more mouth watery if it was more like the Hero Motor Corps. Regarding the first point you have mentioned, I think we both may be jumping the gun here, because nobody knows what was the real reason behind this recall and the replacement of this parts. Also no problems regarding the brake unit was reported during the International as well as national test rides. And regarding engine heating issue, I dont know, In all the reviews I seen so far the heating was 'as expected' from a 375cc single. Nobody really had any complaints considering the fact that even the 200's heat wave can fry your right thighs in traffic. So Lets wait for an official statement behind this recall.

And regarding the extended warranty of Hondas, are you sure all the parts covered under standard warranty is covered under the extended one?
Old 21st September 2013, 19:28   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I agree to you fully but braking and engine heating issues are not small to go unnoticed during the testing stage itself.
Relax mate. You have not got the bike yet. Let's hear out the reality from sriram. I don't have anything against either KTM or Hero as long as I get my money's worth & so far I think I am under paying !! 😜

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
A thing of a beast, everybody looks up at you when you arrive and it does in style.
The headlights are brilliant for the city and work well. The police asked me switch off as I waited at the signal.
Hoping pretty soon your beast has many other beasts for company. This bike truly is starting a fan following so much so that a club can be started just like the bulleteers. Are you saying the cops asked you to switch off coz your lights were too bright. Surprising !!!

By the way mumbai ktm got 10 bikes today. Unfortunately I am number 53 so have a month more to wait. Damn...
Old 21st September 2013, 20:50   #648
Senior - BHPian

I haven't recieved any call from the dealership for recalls. Heating yes there is a problem on heating up if kept idling in heavy traffic. I just switch off if I have to wait more than mins, seems to work.

Brakes have been good no complaints.
Old 22nd September 2013, 01:25   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I agree on the point that Bajaj/KTM is offering only 2 years warranty. It would have been more mouth watery if it was more like the Hero Motor Corps. Regarding the first point you have mentioned, I think we both may be jumping the gun here, because nobody knows what was the real reason behind this recall and the replacement of this parts. Also no problems regarding the brake unit was reported during the International as well as national test rides. And regarding engine heating issue, I dont know, In all the reviews I seen so far the heating was 'as expected' from a 375cc single. Nobody really had any complaints considering the fact that even the 200's heat wave can fry your right thighs in traffic. So Lets wait for an official statement behind this recall.

And regarding the extended warranty of Hondas, are you sure all the parts covered under standard warranty is covered under the extended one?

Yes, you must be right here as none has received any calls regarding the recall and like you, me too haven't felt the heat a big thing to bother as it is acceptable from a 375cc engine, having a high compression ratio. Infact the dukes are way better when compared to the Ducatis and other higher displacement naked as they heats everything under your tailbone and who complains? It's all because most of us including me are not accustomed to bigger bikes and the 390 began to heat things up
Old 22nd September 2013, 09:03   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Are you saying the cops asked you to switch off coz your lights were too bright. Surprising !!!
Yeah. I was the first at the traffic signal when it turned red. A few moments later a cop walked along from the other side and asked me to switch off the lights even though it was in dip mode. He took a close look at the bike and asked some familiar questions (Kitna hai, kitna dethi hai, HH kyon nahin kharida and all those) before walking off.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 15:16   #651
BHPian

I wouldn't say the lights are bright as much as misaligned. At least I feel mine are pointed a smidgeon too high. Brightness is average and easily washed out by street lighting and oncoming high beams.
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:05   #652
BHPian

Talked to Trivandrum dealer about the delivery of my 390. They said it's going to be in November 1st week. According to them, the company is trying to mitigate the heating issue and it will take time. Never expected that from KTM. I may cancel the booking and buy an Enfield 500 that I booked earlier, or even a GT if that comes next month.
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:09   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
I may cancel the booking and buy an Enfield 500 that I booked earlier, or even a GT if that comes next month.
Please reconsider the waiting bro. I am sure you will repent on THIS decision later and wish you had gone for the 390.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 05:12   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
Talked to Trivandrum dealer about the delivery of my 390. They said it's going to be in November 1st week. According to them, the company is trying to mitigate the heating issue and it will take time. Never expected that from KTM. I may cancel the booking and buy an Enfield 500 that I booked earlier, or even a GT if that comes next month.
+1 to that. My CBR250 arrived a week after booking and I asked the dealer to give it to the next person as I was behind the D390. It's been a couple of months and still waiting for the Duke. I talked to the dealer and they have no idea when they will get their first lot of bikes. Adding to the agony, comes the news of recall . Now I am thinking of going back to the CBR as it will at least give some peace of mind while riding as we are almost sure that the engine is going to start the next time we hit the switch, unfortunately which is not the case with the duke. So many KTM owners are frustrated due to fuel leaks, leaking coolant hose, leaking oil seals, paint peeling, fragile wheel rims, broken throttle cables, loose chains, broken teeth and so on. After all, A Honda made Honda is any day better than a BAJAJ made KTM. Guys, 95 percent localized and the remaining 5 percent is the KTM stickers and markings and that 95 percent is Bajaj.

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 25th September 2013 at 05:16.
junaid12345678 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 08:06   #655
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that. My CBR250 arrived a week after booking and I asked the dealer to give it to the next person as I was behind the D390. It's been a couple of months and still waiting for the Duke. I talked to the dealer and they have no idea when they will get their first lot of bikes. Adding to the agony, comes the news of recall . Now I am thinking of going back to the CBR as it will at least give some peace of mind while riding as we are almost sure that the engine is going to start the next time we hit the switch, unfortunately which is not the case with the duke. So many KTM owners are frustrated due to fuel leaks, leaking coolant hose, leaking oil seals, paint peeling, fragile wheel rims, broken throttle cables, loose chains, broken teeth and so on. After all, A Honda made Honda is any day better than a BAJAJ made KTM. Guys, 95 percent localized and the remaining 5 percent is the KTM stickers and markings and that 95 percent is Bajaj.
The one argument and a compelling one at that is the sheer difference in performance between the 390 and the Ceeber.
The former is clicking on the heels of much bigger and multi-cylinder machines and the other is a sedate tourer.

A case of 'Different horses for different courses' I guess?
Old 25th September 2013, 09:43   #656
BHPian

Quote:
I would rather be smiling my face off enjoying my ride on a KTM than have piece of mind riding a sedate/boring CBR
hsub is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 10:26   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more hates KTM. Thats good news for us in queue

95% localized means 95% parts are readilly available. Cool i say
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 11:28   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So many KTM owners are frustrated due to fuel leaks, leaking coolant hose, leaking oil seals, paint peeling, fragile wheel rims, broken throttle cables, loose chains, broken teeth and so on. After all, A Honda made Honda is any day better than a BAJAJ made KTM. Guys, 95 percent localized and the remaining 5 percent is the KTM stickers and markings and that 95 percent is Bajaj.
Thats a first. Let me make a list. Can the 390 owners on the forum confirm if they have faced any of the below issues ? I haven't come across anyone complaining of anything else except, the starting trouble and coolant temp high warning.

1) Fuel Leaks
2) Leaking coolant hose
3) Leaking oil seals
4) Broken/bent/cracked wheel rims
5) Broken throttle cables
6) Loose chains
5) Broken teeth
Old 25th September 2013, 11:33   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Thats a first. Let me make a list. Can the 390 owners on the forum confirm if they have faced any of the below issues ? I haven't come across anyone complaining of anything else except, the starting trouble and coolant temp high warning.

1) Fuel Leaks
2) Leaking coolant hose
3) Leaking oil seals
6) Loose chains
5) Broken teeth
He was mentioning about the 200... I guess!
Old 25th September 2013, 11:56   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Fuel Leaks
2) Leaking coolant hose
3) Leaking oil seals
6) Loose chains
5) Broken teeth
Loose chain or broken throttle cable or broken teeth is common for most of the bikes. Not sure if its KTM specific.
f
When a simple google yeilds similar issues in most of the bikes. Not just KTM

Anyway it would be good to hear from KTM owners on their feedback.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed