Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2013, 16:38   #871
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Biggest Question in my head at the Moment.

Is there any way available to increase Tank range and if anybody has been able to put that so called "power Part" .

just wondering what the Guys at bajaj were thinking when they decided to put in that 11 Ltrs tank on a 375 CC bike .

I am thinking of putting my money On her But only if i am able to increase the tank range . Being from H P means, The distance between 2 Bunks is atleast 50 K M's .
Old 13th October 2013, 17:24   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Biggest Question in my head at the Moment.

Is there any way available to increase Tank range and if anybody has been able to put that so called "power Part" .

just wondering what the Guys at bajaj were thinking when they decided to put in that 11 Ltrs tank on a 375 CC bike .

I am thinking of putting my money On her But only if i am able to increase the tank range . Being from H P means, The distance between 2 Bunks is atleast 50 K M's .
I can really understand your problem, i'v been to your state. Your only answer is petrol cans.
Old 13th October 2013, 21:05   #873
BHPian

Finally got the bike today. And what more should i say !! Its brilliant. Now i gotta ride more and more. Will update in a few days time as i will cover more distance and will get to know the bike more
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131013_133945.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20131013wa0022.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20131013wa0023.jpg  

aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 08:21   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Finally got the bike today. And what more should i say !!
Congrats to all the owners... Wishing them a safer and happier miles with their Dukes.

Wondering when my Duke arrives, so far living an isolated (not bothered bugging with the showroom guys) life. Sort of kept the frustration low.

Now looking to shop for some good gear in Chennai, possibly spartan pro gear. Can Chennai folks some other shops as well? Thanks in advance.
Old 14th October 2013, 08:52   #875
BHPian

Some nice pics of 390 against scenic backdrop

http://derestricted.com/motorcycles/...90-scenic-tour
Old 14th October 2013, 09:35   #876
Senior - BHPian

Folks, had a couple of questions. Thought I will ask the larger audience.

1:Riding the bike 'by sound', I rarely go beyond 5000-6000 RPM before shifting up. I hear people say the bike rides best after 7000 RPM & anyway the peak power is at 7500. So, the question is, am I riding the bike wrong?

2: Is there any benefit to using Shell Super Unleaded on the bike? Personally, I think not but wanted to ask the experts. More importantly, is there any harm?

Thanks for your inputs
Old 14th October 2013, 09:58   #877
Senior - BHPian

@sridhu

Unless you are using your wrist on the throttle over 90 deg you will hardly hit 7500rpm. You are riding right. Get used to throttle response and you will srart slowly experimenting with throttle automatically. Once a week in a safe road with as always all your safety equipments enjoy the throttle response at each gear. @4th you may be already over 110 if not 135.
And no harm in using shell. I am using everything from every bunk.

For last 10 years i have never used shell. Cannot personally justify extra cost be it even 1 rs
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 10:18   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
:ow looking to shop for some good gear in Chennai, possibly spartan pro gear. Can Chennai folks some other shops as well? Thanks in advance.
Spartan ProGear has all stuffs in one roof and I too bought mine on Saturday.
SPG Helios Black Jacket
SPG Leather Pegasus Gloves
SOL Dual-sport White Helmet
SPG Balaclava.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 14th October 2013 at 10:19.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 10:19   #879
BHPian

Had written to KTM about the price hike and they have confirmed that there is no change in pricing of the 390 as yet. Only the Duke 200's price has increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Yes guys, its a bloody hike. Just got informed by KTM Trivandrum that the price is up by 5k on both 200 and 390 and now the OTR price of 390 is 2,10,000 (Trivandrum). Previously it was 2,05,000.
@junaid12345678, I suggest you confirm with your dealer again on this as the 390's prices have not increased. Have confirmed the same with my dealer too.
Old 14th October 2013, 11:21   #880
BHPian

Got a call from KTM Pondicherry informing me that the truck has arrived and my hooligan is in it. I've been asked to come and choose my bike in another hour. Quickly can someone tell me what I should be looking for in the process? *excited*
Old 14th October 2013, 11:23   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Ebonho 'Ready to race' is just a slogan used by KTM to market their products and that doesn't mean the engine can be revved hard right from the showroom. In addition, the engine is made in India only, not handcrafted from KTM factory in Austria. Designing the engine in Austria and making it in Pune can change things a lot. The quality of materials used for production is different in both places.
From what I know of KTM, they take their brand and its race bred credibility very seriously. Its something hard won over 15+ years of winning almost everything there is to win on the world stage - against factory giants. I doubt they would jeopardize that to make a few extra bucks from the developing world by putting their brand and the "Racing" badge on ANY of their engines if they were not absolutely 100% behind it. You do realize that the same engines are being thrashed hard all over the world and not just in India right? Factory tested and passed in Austria at the KTM's HQ. When MNC Pharma and Biotech companies can make the same drugs and vaccines in factories all over the world conforming to the exact same standards and specs (lab and clinical) day in and day out, directly impacting the life and health of humans, what makes a bike so special? In your words - is it rocket science?

Quote:
And the Duke390 is not a Motogp 'ready to race' bike. Its just a normal street bike.
No its not. Don't understand your frame of reference here, but its definitely not what I know as normal at least. Nor what any rider in the world considers "normal" for a sub 400 cc single as well.

Quote:
There is no way we can call the Duke 390 a revolutionary machine .
No one did.

Quote:
A 375cc 44ps street fighter is absolutely normal and it doesn't have any ultra-modern technology fitted inside that is unknown to the motorcycle world. It's even a single cylinder machine. We all love the Duke 390 and in this sense its so special for all of us
Quote:
I agree that no other manufacturer
offer such a bike at this price point but that doesn't mean the 390 is running on rocket fuel. Everything the duke has is already known to the motorcycle world and definitely not a first time thing.
I'm really curious. About this continuing "normal" discussion. Not that anyone here is claiming otherwise.

Junaid, how many similar bikes like the Duke 390 in terms of outright performance can you name in the same cc category (or less)? Could you list them for us please?

Present and past.

Worldwide. Not just India.

Maybe that would clarify how "normal" the Duke 390 really is?
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 11:48   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you also say what are extra ordinary machines by your definition. Just want to understand your standards.*Hope you are not comparing with 1 l bikes or 650 Sbk's*Let's hear from you on your standards
Adding this to Dr's question as well.

Even i want to know just the definition of normal here and some extra ordinary machines. And my only want it, it should not be a fz1 or a r1 or a cb1000
Old 14th October 2013, 13:53   #883
Senior - BHPian

Even I am curious to know the difference between "normal" and "abnormal" bike and what is either normal or so abnormal about the Duke?. Please don't get me wrong as I am also an owner of the Duke.

I found it a bit special about owning one and still feel good about it. A hype/aura surrounds it, which surrounded the 200 as well.

No offense to doc/VW or anyone else.
Old 14th October 2013, 14:07   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Even I am curious to know the difference between "normal" and "abnormal" bike and what is either normal or so abnormal about the Duke?. Please don't get me wrong as I am also an owner of the Duke.

I found it a bit special about owning one and still feel good about it. A hype/aura surrounds it, which surrounded the 200 as well.

No offense to doc/VW or anyone else.
I get to ride a KTM in India.
Old 14th October 2013, 14:16   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I get to ride a KTM in India.
I get to ride a Ninja too, may not be a naked (if you are talking about the cc range)

Most Viewed