Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 14:51   #886
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I get to ride a Ninja too, may not be a naked (if you are talking about the cc range)
And at 2 times the cost as well.

No offence, but a Kawasaki is simply not up there with KTM in street cred internationally.

Not in global motor sport. Not on the street.

Its a simple case of (for us getting the Dukes at this price here - and ONLY here) ghar ki murgi daal barabar.

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th October 2013 at 14:58. Reason: removed reference to sex which could otherwise get misconstrued
Old 14th October 2013, 15:30   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
From what I know of KTM, they take their brand and its race bred credibility very seriously. Its something hard won over 15+ years of winning almost everything there is to win on the world stage - against factory giants. I doubt they would jeopardize that to make a few extra bucks from the developing world by putting their brand and the "Racing" badge on ANY of their engines if they were not absolutely 100% behind it. You do realize that the same engines are being thrashed hard all over the world and not just in India right? Factory tested and passed in Austria at the KTM's HQ. When MNC Pharma and Biotech companies can make the same drugs and vaccines in factories all over the world conforming to the exact same standards and specs (lab and clinical) day in and day out, directly impacting the life and health of humans, what makes a bike so special? In your words - is it rocket science?
No, its not rocket science. As far as I know KTM never competed in Motogp or WSB or even Moto2 championships and you are comparing KTM with factory giants who have won almost anything on two wheels? Is winning Dakkar Rally consecutively or Moto 3 125cc class means the end of competitive motorcycling ? How much credibility the Austrian bike maker KTM have in the international market? What about the sales of KTM's liter class bikes? Your post renders an impression that those Japanese who are in the business even before KTM entered motorsports makes engines that can't race because they are not badged 'ready to race'. Even Austrians refrain from buying a KTM when they have to choose KTM among other Japanese/Italian bikes and why is it so?

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 14th October 2013 at 15:37.
Old 14th October 2013, 16:11   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Even Austrians refrain from buying a KTM when they have to choose KTM among other Japanese/Italian bikes and why is it so?
Aren't they the highest selling brand of Motorcycles in Europe? If what I read is correct, they have toppled BMW Motorrad last year.
Old 14th October 2013, 16:19   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
Aren't they the highest selling brand of Motorcycles in Europe? If what I read is correct, they have toppled BMW Motorrad last year.
Due in large part to the Duke 125.

With the launch of the 390 now, that gap is only going to grow.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 16:45   #890
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes you go crazy and want to try out something that may actually be functionally good.

I got the RTR grips and they are lot better but yet to be installed. In the mean time saw these for 30 bucks and decided to have a go.

The last two additions, the seat and this grip has completely changed my ride quality and i am falling big time for the 390.

Keep searching for stuffs that you like and dont bother about cost. Manytimes its not the costly ones that actually make functionally compelling additions
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20131014_155106k.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20131014_1551021.jpg  

VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 23:01   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Had written to KTM about the price hike and they have confirmed that there is no change in pricing of the 390 as yet. Only the Duke 200's price has increased.

@junaid12345678, I suggest you confirm with your dealer again on this as the 390's prices have not increased. Have confirmed the same with my dealer too.

Just saved myself from getting a royal ride. Though Bajaj Auto is planning a price hike but haven't done yet. Spoke to the dealer and he rolled back to the previous amount as if nothing has happened. Saved 5k.
Old 15th October 2013, 11:22   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
No, its not rocket science. As far as I know KTM never competed in Motogp or WSB or even Moto2 championships and you are comparing KTM with factory giants who have won almost anything on two wheels? Is winning Dakkar Rally consecutively or Moto 3 125cc class means the end of competitive motorcycling ? How much credibility the Austrian bike maker KTM have in the international market? What about the sales of KTM's liter class bikes? Your post renders an impression that those Japanese who are in the business even before KTM entered motorsports makes engines that can't race because they are not badged 'ready to race'. Even Austrians refrain from buying a KTM when they have to choose KTM among other Japanese/Italian bikes and why is it so?
I actually don't understand what your argument is - is it that KTM are inferior to the Japanese or that their products are less worthy or good?

I think that KTM's credibility as a brand comes from its racing accomplishments mainly in off-road competitions (MX, Rally, enduro, Dakar, etc.) Until they launched the Duke 640 some years ago they had no interest in pure road machines. Their entry into road racing is actually quite successful in the smaller classes. On the basis of number of wins/races competed/company revenue/sales, KTM are probably at the top of the table. What they have accomplished with the relatively meager resources that they have is really astonishing!
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 12:54   #893
BHPian

Small update from my end, though I havent posted about my 390, done 2000 kms till now, pulled it to 165 on the speedo yesterday, post that, there is a worrying sound coming from the engine, going to get it checked today, also the crash guard bolt has broken in two, will keep you guys posted on the outcome of todays visit.
Khodays is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 14:50   #894
Senior - BHPian

I completed paltry 500kms today. Not bad considering it has little less than 10 rides so far. To understand how good the bike is, try doing a sub 6 second 0-100. Try this and mostly you will feel the same feeling i have. This is not a beast, this is not a maniac, this is one of those machines that does things so calmly that you will always under estimate its potential.

To me the KTM200 and RD350 gave more reasons to be scared about while the 390 is one docile, calm little surprise.

Never once i felt that the bike has more control over you while you get this feeling once a while with the 200 and almost everytime with the RD350.

To me the best way to ride this calmness personified docile machine is to change the gears post 5K rpm. Anything below that and the engine growls. It growls with a pain and lets you know that it doesn't want to be below 5000rpm at that gear. Know this and down shift.

Similarly upshift anytime after 5K. Even here the gear lever gives you signs that its not really happy about that engine speed. Around 7K the gear shift is silky buttery smooth that you hardly hear a click while at lower speed, you can hear a mild cuss word from the gear box before it shifts. Just lets you know that he needs more RPM to make you smile as a rider.

Try the 0-100 in first 3 gears and enjoy a smile that will ensure you pray for no rain even if you are from Chennai
Old 15th October 2013, 15:00   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Never once i felt that the bike has more control over you while you get this feeling once a while with the 200 and almost everytime with the RD350.

To me the best way to ride this calmness personified docile machine is to change the gears post 5K rpm. Anything below that and the engine growls. It growls with a pain and lets you know that it doesn't want to be below 5000rpm at that gear. Know this and down shift.

Try the 0-100 in first 3 gears and enjoy a smile that will ensure you pray for no rain even if you are from Chennai
Exactly my observation as well from a 250km Sunday morning ride. I was using SandeepMohans(handle) bike this last weekend.
The gears shifts get hard and the engine feels as though it is whining in rpms below 5k. Close to 5k and above, it is not only enjoyable, the bike sounds good and everything becomes very smooth.
It reminds me of one of those race car engines which sounds and feels rough and bad in idling and low revs, but is a different vehicle altogether in higher revs it is supposed to be in.
The engine braking on this is so good, brakes need to be used only to actually stop to a standstill and reduce speed when needed from high speeds.
It is one timepass bike as I would call it. Winding roads is were it belongs.

And like you said, the power surge is not scary like the RD, but smooth and controllable. But like everyone says, this is another bike post 7k.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 15th October 2013 at 15:02. Reason: typo
Old 15th October 2013, 15:35   #896
Senior - BHPian

I have done about 325 km in the time since I got the bike (7 days). Mixed rides but mostly city & urban environs. Hit about 125 kmph max. DOnt think I have gone beyond 6500 rpm more than a couple of times.

The shifting is buttery at a certain point (I feel it, dont really know what rpm). More than the manic feel, I like the power on tap & the confidence that I can overtake anything on the road. This has lead me into trouble a couple of times; so tend to consciously drive a little safer.

Is there any way to tune the ABS? I think it cuts in a bit too early.
Old 15th October 2013, 16:55   #897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I like the power on tap & the confidence that I can overtake anything on the road. This has lead me into trouble a couple of times; so tend to consciously drive a little safer.
You nailed it. Just be very careful on city roads. Please do not do what this guy does.

To me testing this bike like this in these roads are completely wrong. Doing over 120 in those roads is not just dangerous for the rider but for others. Many things can go wrong at those speed.

In a free highway, enjoy the speeds while inside city just respect others and ensure you reach in one piece.

ABS kicked in only once when i tried to break for a speed bump. Otherwise been sane in riding it out and as tharian said the engine break mostly takes care.

I usually want a clear road ahead before i try something out. Else mostly flow with the traffic.

Not sure if its a easy job to adjust the wheel speed sensor and how the ECU reads the wheel speed sensor to activate/Deactivate the ABS. Leave it to the experts
Old 15th October 2013, 17:09   #898
Senior - BHPian

Its a giant leap for people who have been riding commuters and even something like a Karizma or a Pulsar 220. I would love to read the opinions of people who have owned 600 / litre class motorcycles about what do they feel about the 390.
Old 15th October 2013, 17:24   #899
Senior - BHPian

Strange how my opinion differs so drastically from others' here. I just test-rode the 200 and 390 back-to-back, and while the 200 felt zippy, it still seems a bit boring. The 390 on the other hand, whack the throttle open and it R-I-P-S. Of course, most poeple here have owned and ridden bikes far longer than I have. But this is the feeling I got. For the price, the 390 is one masterpiece of a machine.
Old 15th October 2013, 17:58   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You nailed it. Just be very careful on city roads. Please do not do what this guy does.
http://Youtu.be/i7VJLYzYn5k

To me testing this bike like this in these roads are completely wrong. Doing over 120 in those roads is not just dangerous for the rider but for others. Many things can go wrong at those speed.
That guy is asking for it! I had a heart attack when he split lanes between a bus & a car. That is in Bangalore & I know the Outer Ring Road showroom had a fairly serious accident on their test bike. May be this gentleman contributed!

Quote:
ABS kicked in only once when i tried to break for a speed bump. Otherwise been sane in riding it out and as tharian said the engine break mostly takes care.
Being a bit easy on the engine in terms of engine braking. My ABS kicks in even under normal riding.

Quote:
Not sure if its a easy job to adjust the wheel speed sensor and how the ECU reads the wheel speed sensor to activate/Deactivate the ABS. Leave it to the experts
Was thinking of something much simpler; I dont have your guts in tinkering with the bike! Essentially wondering if there is a setting the service centre can tweak to delay onset of ABS. Not hardware related at all!

Most Viewed