Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 07:49   #946
BHPian

Re: Got Duked by 43.5 ponies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post
This is the very first lot of bikes delivered in the state as informed by the SA's.
Trivandrum KTM delivered the first duke 390 two weeks before. It was a batch of six bikes and the first in the state.
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:10   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Trivandrum KTM delivered the first duke 390 two weeks before. It was a batch of six bikes and the first in the state.
Yep, it was my friend and It was the first 390 delivery in KL. I think it was last week or the week before that.
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:28   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Yep, it was my friend and It was the first 390 delivery in KL. I think it was last week or the week before that.
Bhpian Santoshk too got delivery from the first lot in the State. I will get mine Friday and now sleepless nights and congrats to your friend
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:59   #949
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hey Guys... me got my 390 today...
Looove the feeling, the bike begs to be revved. Pure bliss.

A few questions:
1. I could feel considerable heat coming out of the engine in moderate traffic run. I did a 20KM trip in relaxed traffic, few stops and no bumper to bumper... The heat is bothering me. Is this okay? I thought there was some work done on the radiators to make the heat less evident? Have the others felt this too? I am scared to imagine what a choke-a-block Pune traffic jam would do to my ride.

2. Would replacing the bulb void any kind of warranty? If I do not put in a relay just a better bulb with an improved intensity and throw? What is the max I can do without putting in a relay?

3. Button start take a bit of time to start.. is it normal? looks like it takes a long puff of fresh air before it breathes to life is this okay and standard for a 390?

4. There is a plasticky thud (faint) everytime bike goes over a pothole or a bump. Seems to come from rear... Anything to be worried about??
Old 23rd October 2013, 15:25   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post

A few questions:
1. I could feel considerable heat coming out of the engine in moderate traffic run. I did a 20KM trip in relaxed traffic, few stops and no bumper to bumper... The heat is bothering me. Is this okay? I thought there was some work done on the radiators to make the heat less evident? Have the others felt this too? I am scared to imagine what a choke-a-block Pune traffic jam would do to my ride.

2. Would replacing the bulb void any kind of warranty? If I do not put in a relay just a better bulb with an improved intensity and throw? What is the max I can do without putting in a relay?

3. Button start take a bit of time to start.. is it normal? looks like it takes a long puff of fresh air before it breathes to life is this okay and standard for a 390?

4. There is a plasticky thud (faint) everytime bike goes over a pothole or a bump. Seems to come from rear... Anything to be worried about??
First of all congratulations on your KTM Bike. From my limited experience with the bike my suggestion on the 4th point is to check for the chain play. From your explanation it appears more to be from the chain rather than anything else. Checking with the rear tire hugger will also do no harm.

On the upgradation of bulb, suggest you to use Philips Extreme Vision bulbs. Have seen it being used on a couple of my friends motorcycles. They pack quite a punch and are much much better than the stock ones. (Even though they are of the same reading).

Generally fiddling with the electrical's of a bike does void the warranty considering the fact that they are ECU these days.

The other queries would need an expert help somebody like Ebonho would be very ideal as he is having a bike for quite some time now.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 15:46   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few questions:

1) Heat is normal. In fact bumper to bumper traffic please prepare for sweating a lot and feeling slight toasty. On Stand still traffic the radiator does protect your legs. When moving between 10-20kmph enjoy the heat. Over time it gets used to.

2)I have already replaced the bulbs with Philips extreme. Decent now.

3) Unlike your earlier bikes or something like a pulsor, what i learnt was i just need to press the buttong a tad longer. If you stop the bike just turn the key to off position, back to on and (kill switch reset just for sake) and restart. A tad longer than other bikes but it does start.

4) The suspension is quite stiff. you can try different settings before you feel ride comfort.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 15:52   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys... me got my 390 today...
Looove the feeling, the bike begs to be revved. Pure bliss.

A few questions:

1) The bike gets hot. Not a problem as long as it does not show you a high coolant temperature warning (with the tempbars going into the end zone).

2) Too expensive for questionable benefit. I've seen bikes with these. My view is that when someone spends 600 bucks on a bulb, its hard to admit its not making some difference.

4) Its the reflector hitting your tyre hugger. Do not over tighten your chain. There should be just a bit of give in the center, with you sitting on the bike.

P.S. Congrats to all the new 390 owners. There definitely seem to be way more 390s on the forum than the 200s.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd October 2013 at 15:54.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:20   #953
BHPian

Thanks guys for your replies. I guess I will get used to the engine heat
I will definitely go for a bigger windscreen. The front number plate would make way for a sticker on the front mudguard.

Rest as and when I find anything interesting. Any leads on :
1. Any online store that sells KTM accessories?
2. Any shop in Pune where I can get some custom sticker (durable and water resistant) done. I need some on the orange rims and some on the tank.
3. Are front crashpads useful?
4. Any decent handlebar grips online? Does the front brake and clutch lever protector hamper with the grips?
Old 23rd October 2013, 17:36   #954
BHPian

Got a call from Langford KTM today. The bike is registered and that I can collect the bike today. However, I am currently in Pune and won't go to Bangalore until the end of this month. How can this be.
Old 23rd October 2013, 17:54   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rest as and when I find anything interesting. Any leads on :
1. Any online store that sells KTM accessories?

2. Any shop in Pune where I can get some custom sticker (durable and water resistant) done. I need some on the orange rims and some on the tank.

3. Are front crashpads useful?

There is a discussion on this in this thread. It is useful and will protect your tank and engine in most of minor incidents.

4. Any decent handlebar grips online? Does the front brake and clutch lever protector hamper with the grips?
performanceracingstore.net

My friend said gloves are far better than changing grips.
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:34   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I guess I was fed false information by the showroom guys. My apologies my friends and thanks for clearing this up.
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:41   #957
BHPian

Quote:

Any decent handlebar grips online? Does the front brake and clutch lever protector hamper with the grips?
Guys, regarding the heating issue I think the underbelly exhaust is the main culprit. It pushes the hot exhaust gas against the legs and is complimented well by the radiator fan. Both fries everything surrounding them.
As VW2010 said, riding gloves are far better than changing hand grips, especially if you are riding fast motorcycles where safety stands ahead of comfort.
Old 23rd October 2013, 21:16   #958
BHPian

Had a small incident just a while ago which I like to share with you all. I was doing 60kmph on my CBZ and the road was nice but a bit dusty. My helmet had tinted visors so I opened the lid a bit for better visibility and all of a sudden a Duke 200 overtook me out of nowhere. The tyre hugger was not present on the bike and was kicking behind all the dirt and muck that got stuck to its rear tire. In this process a small piece of gravel hit my right eye and it was so painful that I lost control over my bike for a second but somehow managed to stop. After cleansing my eyes with water, I rode back home. Now the pain has subsided but my eye is a bit reddish. It wouldn't have happened if the tire hugger wasn't removed from the bike. Almost everyone here who owns the 390 should have removed the tire hugger and me myself planned to do so once I get my bike. But now I have changed my mind. I agree to the fact that with the tire hugger in place, the bike may accumulate a lot of dirt in the rains but that shouldn't interfere with the safety of others who use the road the same way we do.
As we all ride the bike, we don't know whats happening behind or the rider behind us is facing any trouble due to our bike. So I think its better to leave the tire hugger where it is as safety always comes first.
junaid12345678 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 22:42   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably you might want to try X-Torque who have opened their branch in Pune? Try looking up in Facebook and you should be able to get their address details.

Do post some photos once you have added some more accessories to it.
Old 23rd October 2013, 22:47   #960
BHPian

Exactly. I did not post earlier when there were discussions on removing the hugger. If I buy and plan to remove, I will use it inside my farm roads, usually nobody around.

It's mutual respect that we should have and respect fellow riders, given our road conditions. Imagine someone really tired of a stressful day behind you.

I'm happy for your decision and appreciate tbhp for helping me post this.
kolimuttai is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks