Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 22:53   #961
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Took delivery of a 390 in Mangalore today. Came home, held the bike by the grab rail to park it in the garage and voila...
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-duke-broke.jpg
james is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 23:28   #962
BHPian

Got my 390 today from Indiranagar. Drive to Vijayanagar took almost one hour and the engine heat was scary. That too in cool weather with light drizzle. I have not checked the gauge though.
But it is not that much more when I compare it to my SUZUKI FIERO (in 2001 i think) in the initial run in period. In fact I went back to TVS service center again next day to complain about the heat. I was sure that something was wrong. Then the techs assured me that it is OK and eventually it will come down. It did !
I am hoping that same thing will happen here also.
Old 23rd October 2013, 23:44   #963
Senior - BHPian

No nothing will happen after run in. Get used to the heat.

Regarding tyre hugger....the scenario you explained would have happened irrespective of whether you have tyre hugger or not. The the hugger is positioned high and the scenario you mentioned will happen well before the dust particle could reach the hugger.

I am never installing the tyre hugger unless there is some functional use by giving a full size one covering the entire rear wheel.

Please ride with a closed helmet and that's for various reason including air drag in this bike at high speeds
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 23:55   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Took delivery of a 390 in Mangalore today. Came home, held the bike by the grab rail to park it in the garage and voila...
Attachment 1156852

Oh my god. How did this happen? How could the grab rail come off when trying to park the vehicle? Please post more details
Old 24th October 2013, 14:32   #965

Finally took delivery of my 390 yesterday.

A few things that I noticed:

1. The showroom guys don't really make you feel privileged to own a KTM. They just hand you the gate pass and tell you "thats it". Perhaps a few words such as "Enjoy your ride" or "Thank your for choosing KTM" would have been nice. Its just take the bike and go.

2. No issues with heat on my bike. I rode it through nearly 8 kms of bumper to bumper traffic. It was warm but never hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Had a small incident just a while ago which I like to share with you all. I was doing 60kmph on my CBZ and the road was nice but a bit dusty. My helmet had tinted visors so I opened the lid a bit for better visibility and all of a sudden a Duke 200 overtook me out of nowhere. The tyre hugger was not present on the bike and was kicking behind all the dirt and muck that got stuck to its rear tire. In this process a small piece of gravel hit my right eye and it was so painful that I lost control over my bike for a second but somehow managed to stop. After cleansing my eyes with water, I rode back home. Now the pain has subsided but my eye is a bit reddish. It wouldn't have happened if the tire hugger wasn't removed from the bike. Almost everyone here who owns the 390 should have removed the tire hugger and me myself planned to do so once I get my bike. But now I have changed my mind. I agree to the fact that with the tire hugger in place, the bike may accumulate a lot of dirt in the rains but that shouldn't interfere with the safety of others who use the road the same way we do.
As we all ride the bike, we don't know whats happening behind or the rider behind us is facing any trouble due to our bike. So I think its better to leave the tire hugger where it is as safety always comes first.
3. I removed the tire hugger, but after reading junaid12345678's post I'm putting it back.

4. Absolutely love the sound and the performance is exhilarating. Can't wait for the weekend to arrive!

5. One of my grab rails is also feeling a little shaky. I'll get that checked (thanks for the post james).
siddhartharun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 16:00   #966
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Dude.

Agree with you on the "heres-the-key. Now-get-out" attitude being quite down putting!

Ride easy. Ride safe.
Old 25th October 2013, 09:42   #967
BHPian

Ride is too good and I am enjoying it. Should go on a longer drive in the week end.
Can some body suggest good grips for the bike and where to get them in Bangalore. I am not in favor of buying gloves because that will mean some more luggage to be carried around when not riding. In my earlier bike, I had installed a side box to park all such things including the helmet. For 390 I am not seeing any such option from OEM. In fact the showroom in Indiranagar did not have even a single item on display. If anybody has any knowledge about such a box/bag which does not cost a bomb and at the same time does not spoil the aesthetics too much, please lead me. thanks.
Old 25th October 2013, 10:56   #968
Senior - BHPian

Welcome lark63, and congratulations on your 390.

About the gloves, why not look at it this way for a moment - would you rather carry your gloves around with you or would your prefer to leave bits of your hand behind on the tarmac?

When speaking about adding to the "luggage" to carry around when not riding, I am assuming (hoping) that the luggage includes a helmet? If so, just park the gloves inside it.

P.S. If not too bulky, you could fit the gloves under the pillion seat. Not the full gauntlet ones of course.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 11:04   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Thankfully, i'll be getting the bike (Which I had booked for my relative, which I'll have it for a month or so) on comming week
Got the bike last friday (oct 18th).
And I'm READY TO RACE.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_1614.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-csc_1670.jpg

The only issue which I'm facing is Chain is loose and making noise. Went to KTM service, They just tightened the chain and they said Have to Check the slider. Within 200 mtrs the issue surfaced.
What could be the cause.
sushrutha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 16:03   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
You are actually really strong Zahin. I shall remember the grab rail whenever we meet.
Congrats on the new bike . So is the ZMA finally out?
Old 25th October 2013, 16:30   #971
BHPian

Is the saree guard really required ? Can somebody wearing a saree really sit on this bike ? My wife panicked when I suggested this ( she only wears sarees) !
lark63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 17:49   #972
Senior - BHPian

If you are taking your wife regularly as a pillion, please keep the saree guard. Without the hugger and guard the bike is too open and by mistake if the saree gets into the bike there is not much you can do.

Also with saree mostly women sit on one side, which means the other side or right side is still exposed where pallu can get caught.

Not sure if this bike is really meant for that kind of rides
Old 25th October 2013, 19:26   #973
BHPian

Re: Got Duked by 43.5 ponies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Yep, it was my friend and It was the first 390 delivery in KL. I think it was last week or the week before that.
Hmmn..is it the Sales guys told everyone that they are the first person who got the bike. They told me mine was the first 390 delivered to a customer in Kerala
Old 25th October 2013, 19:29   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
Hmmn..is it the Sales guys told everyone that they are the first person who got the bike. They told me mine was the first 390 delivered to a customer in Kerala
But we should appreciate his attempt to make each and every customer feel special!
Old 25th October 2013, 21:56   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
But we should appreciate his attempt to make each and every customer feel special!
Well said!
At least he has got better attitude compared to the guys with "Take it & Move it " attitude.

Most Viewed