Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2013, 20:40   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Karthik....awesome man...my bike is there at the service centre for the first service. Next saturday or next ride bug me in.

And its criminal to make someone sit on the pillion for that long. Not a pillion rider
Old 27th October 2013, 23:18   #992
Senior - BHPian

Have the bike for a week , done around 250 Kms .Comparing it to my previous D200.

- Suspension is softer and better . It takes in bumps and humps much better.

- Brakes are just toooo good . I had to work hard for brakes to work in 200 .In 390 just need a feather touch .

- ABS is just fantastic .I cannot believe KTM offered as std on 390 and at such a low price ,full marks to Bajaj and KTM .Unlike others who charged 30K for just ABS ?

- The grunt and roar is in high decibel compared to 200 .At high RPM its just sweet bass .

- Little bit heavier ,thats what makes it planted .

- Tall gears are just perfect . 6th gear is bliss on highways .100kmph at 5.5 K rpm can you believe it . If you are in 6th 100-110 in highway, you will get almost or more mileage than 200 .

- Parts are interchangeable and cheap as in 200 .

If some one is saying 200 and 390 are same with just a bigger engine, I would agree with his ignorance . More later .

KTMs are best thing that every happen to Indian Motorcycling picture .

From today's ride .

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_2144.jpg

Last edited by black12rr : 27th October 2013 at 23:20.
black12rr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 23:49   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Karthik....awesome man...my bike is there at the service centre for the first service. Next saturday or next ride bug me in. And its criminal to make someone sit on the pillion for that long. Not a pillion rider
Sure. It's unplanned one. Just we started in the morning after 10 am leaving my 2 kids at home.
She was not complaining as both were doing this after some 4-5 years.
I am at 700 kms. Need to go some place next week to reach 1000 kms.
Will plan somewhere next Saturday.
Old 28th October 2013, 11:41   #994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Sure. It's unplanned one. Just we started in the morning after 10 am leaving my 2 kids at home.
She was not complaining as both were doing this after some 4-5 years.
I am at 700 kms. Need to go some place next week to reach 1000 kms.
Will plan somewhere next Saturday.
Karthik, How long was the ride? can you please put down your wifey's opinion about the pillion seat?
I was keen on the 390 (I still am :(), but as my 'lifelong pillion rider' will be joining me soon, I am more inclined towards the CBR now.

And 33kmpl @ 100-110kmph is amazing indeed..!!
Old 28th October 2013, 12:03   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post

Karthik, How long was the ride? can you please put down your wifey's opinion about the pillion seat?
I was keen on the 390 (I still am :(), but as my 'lifelong pillion rider' will be joining me soon, I am more inclined towards the CBR now.

And 33kmpl @ 100-110kmph is amazing indeed..!!
You need to take a TD with your lady to be sure, that is the best way to find out. Otherwise wait for the adventure version of 390, may be launched in few months for sure, back seat is much more practical on that.
Old 28th October 2013, 12:06   #996
Senior - BHPian

man_of_steel: For whatever it is worth, here is my reply for your pillion comfort question. I too was considering 390 for touring with wife, but a number of owners strongly opposed, saying that the pillion seat is small and uncomfortable for long ride, and the light weight of the bike is sometimes tiring over the long tour. So I dropped the idea of buying 390 for a couple tourer. I myself was not comfortable on CBR because of the rear set foot peg and forward bent riding posture, so didn't consider it.
Old 28th October 2013, 12:10   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
You need to take a TD with your lady to be sure, that is the best way to find out. Otherwise wait for the adventure version of 390, may be launched in few months for sure, back seat is much more practical on that.
TD is out of question! TD given here is around some 500 mts to and fro in a crowded sub road!

Yes. Adventure is a good bet! But it should take some time. Pathetic that I am gonna miss this amazing piece of machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
man_of_steel: For whatever it is worth, here is my reply for your pillion comfort question. I too was considering 390 for touring with wife, but a number of owners strongly opposed, saying that the pillion seat is small and uncomfortable for long ride, and the light weight of the bike is sometimes tiring over the long tour. So I dropped the idea of buying 390 for a couple tourer. I myself was not comfortable on CBR because of the rear set foot peg and forward bent riding posture, so didn't consider it.
Thanks ani_meher. That is exactly my problem. It would have been manageable if the rear seat was a tad bit wider.

OT: And regarding the seating position of the CBR, yes it will be awkward in the beginning, but you will get used to it soon. It wont be a big deal after a couple of hundreds of kms.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 28th October 2013 at 12:16.
Old 28th October 2013, 12:41   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
That's an interesting mod you've done with the additional tyre hugger bolted to the OE one and the monshock mud flap. Neatly done.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 12:51   #999
BHPian

Got mine yesterday

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-imag0483res.jpg

Since its in the running-in period, am loving the cruising ability of the bike for now. Cruises smoothly at 90 kmph with decent poke for overtaking. Feels as calm as my Jetta does at 100 kmph. Will have to wait for the run-in to get over to see its true potential.

The perceptible build quality and fit and finish is a bit of a let down. Case in point being the build of the switches and its housings. Also other things like the huge gap between the tank and the seat, the tail section not being fit seamlessly with the rear of the motorcycle and of course the various intertwining wires. The cost cutting is evident, especially if you are coming from one of the recent Yamahas and more so, when you compare it with the various Ninjas standing alongside. But the engine and performance more than make up for it.

Also, the vibrations are a bit on the higher side but am expecting them to subside once running in is done. Braking is surefooted. The metzellers are bedding in nicely but wind blast above 120 kmph is a bother. Wonder how much the larger windscreen will make a difference?

Overall, am quite pleased with the 390 Duke. Performance received per money spent at its best (currently that is).
Old 28th October 2013, 13:19   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's an interesting mod you've done with the additional tyre hugger bolted to the OE one and the monshock mud flap. Neatly done.
You Missed out additonal Mudflap for Mudflap at front fender .

Also forgot mention the tyres , they are super sticky stuff . Full happy . Hope they are not so soft that we end up nails every now and then .

Last edited by black12rr : 28th October 2013 at 13:22.
Old 28th October 2013, 13:29   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
You Missed out additonal Mudflap for Mudflap at front fender .
OMG, now that you mention it, yes indeed I did miss them!

Pls man, remove all that stuff. Including that grab rail top box carryover from your 200

Those who had entertained hopes of using the 200s MRF Revz on the 390 for economy, allow me to dash them with a pinch of reality.

Just spoke to someone who has done the same after replacing his worn out Metzelers on the 390.

The Revz give about 70% of the grip levels of the Metzelers (while leaned over), and the tyres get SHREDDED by the 390s torque. To the extent that the tyres at a little over 2.5 K kms (on the 390) look worse than mine at 7 K kms (on my 200).

So get ready to pay 24K when the time comes ...... because the stories of 15K doing the rounds seem to be only stories.
Old 28th October 2013, 14:18   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was keen on the 390 (I still am :(), but as my 'lifelong pillion rider' will be joining me soon, I am more inclined towards the CBR now
My Personal take...for short trips less than 20kms pillion on 390 is fine. For long hauls just forget it. Its too small a seat and the bike at high speed is not comfortable for two per me.

Finished my first service. As with others bill amount was around 1.7K.

- Bike is definitely smoother and the first two gears feels better for some reason. May be i am riding after two days.
- The rev limiter is removed which means the nuisance of that red light is no longer there. *I could have removed myself...but wanted to respect at least till the first service.

Horns - The service guys are not ready to add another horn or change them quoting they do not want to cut any wires and are worried that it will only complicate any issues in the future and potential of voiding warranty. They are doing it without any issues for 200 but for 390 they claim that the battery may not be strong enough. I am not buying that arguement. I am interested in putting a siebel horn and want some inputs from other service centres who have installed additional horns. The current horn is inadequate.

Changed the grips to RTR and these are much better and softer and they feel good on bare hands or even those half grips.

Advice for those changing grips. RTR grips will cost you around 160rs(Both).

- The left side grip is glued to the handle bar. Use some pertol and some pressurized air to remove it.
- The left side grip just slides into position.

Procedure for changing accelerator grip.

- Remove the grip from RTR from the accelerator holder. Separate the rubber part from plastic. Use Some petrol and
- Do the same with current KTM grip
- Just push the RTR rubber grip over the throttle plastic and put it in place.

Now the pressure is far more relaxing and the throttle feel is improved.

Now let me get out on those longer trips and revert.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 29th October 2013 at 10:47. Reason: No " ***** " please.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 14:35   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Changed the grips to RTR and these are much better and softer and they feel good on bare hands or even those half grips.

I used ZMA grips on 200 ,they are super soft . I was thining what to do on 390 . Could you post some pics of RTR grips , are they softer than ZMA ( if you have felt those ) ? . I will be changing grips and making the seat softer this week.
The grab rail remains .

Last edited by black12rr : 28th October 2013 at 14:38.
Old 28th October 2013, 22:11   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
I am confused now. I am also in the habit of lifting the rear by holding the grab rail. Should I stop doing this ? I thought it is a case of defective grab rail. Could it be that grab rail is not good enough for taking the load ? In the past one week I have not felt anything amiss while doing so. May be we should wait for some more instances of grab rail breakage ??
Possibly just a one-off case! Manufacturing defect perhaps? Do be careful while using the handle though. its quite flimsy!

Since everyone is posting up pics of the bike, here is my contribution. Not the best pic but possibly a very interesting one!
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-duke-etc.jpg
james is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 00:06   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Karthik, How long was the ride? can you please put down your wifey's opinion about the pillion seat? I was keen on the 390 (I still am :(), but as my 'lifelong pillion rider' will be joining me soon, I am more inclined towards the CBR now. And 33kmpl @ 100-110kmph is amazing indeed..!!
It's just 300 kms. Done in 6 hrs with 3 breaks. My wife was really enjoying all the way and no complaints till now. My wife's frame suits well to the pillion size.
Already We planned our next ride on coming Sunday. Yelagiri most probably.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks