Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2013, 12:13   #1051
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hey Niranjan, congrats on the 390 man! Couldn't stay away huh?!!!!!!!!

P.S. Your 250 has a better shine than the 390.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 12:25   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Am eagerly waiting for the "adventure" version, do you have anymore inputs on it? pillion comfort will be an important factor when deciding on my next bike
KTM has not released the Adventure version of 390, but its almost certain that it will come [plenty news on web, but no official news yet], thanks to Bajaj, otherwise adventure series world over is limited to 900cc + bikes. India is actually at the forefront of starting this trend. You may have to wait for about 4-6 months at least, but if you see how the 990 is done its worth the wait. Not exactly but around the lines of KTM 990 Supermoto; take a look,

http://www.ktm.com/at/travel/990-sm-...l#.UnH9oHCnqqI
Old 31st October 2013, 13:13   #1053
Senior - BHPian

I am getting a quote of 9000 for the RNB & V-Flow screens. Was under the impression this was 8k.

Also, any opinion on the V-FLow screen? Looks cooler
Old 31st October 2013, 13:21   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Hey Niranjan, congrats on the 390 man! Couldn't stay away huh?!!!!!!!!

P.S. Your 250 has a better shine than the 390.
Thanks Doc! Yes, I succumbed to the temptation and convinced myself I need this through some convoluted logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I am getting a quote of 9000 for the RNB & V-Flow screens. Was under the impression this was 8k.
Where are you getting the 9K quote from? Might be the falling rupee!
The V-Flow is a lot wider than RNB - make a size comparison to see if it will fit well and suit your taste.
Old 31st October 2013, 13:24   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

I am too going for the V-FLOW "C" screen. 8K is for the naked bike screen which is a little less taller and completely different design. I personally feel the V-Flow suits the 390 more than the RNB screen.

There is an option of "Z" as well, basically instead of a C curve in the front bottom, it's a Z.

Check these links:
[CODE]http://flickrhivemind.net/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?method=GET&sorting=Interestingnes s&photo_type=250&page=1&noform=t&search_domain=Tag s&photo_number=50&sort=Date Taken, new first&tag_mode=all&textinput=col1&search_type=Tags &originput=col1
[/CODE]

This is the Naked bike screen:
https://www.mrashop.de/erp/catalog/n...0%2C0%29&spr=D

This the the V-FLOW "C":

This the the V-FLOW "Z":
Old 31st October 2013, 14:04   #1056
BHPian

Anybody come across the Puig screen for the Duke? Looks like a direct bolt-on screen.

http://www.bs-motoparts.com/Windbesc...n&currency=gbp

Any information on where it would be available in India would be really helpful.
Old 31st October 2013, 16:12   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Anybody know where I can find Givi equipment for the Duke 390 in Bangalore.

I like this hard luggage kit.
Old 31st October 2013, 16:16   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is there any way to fix the front number plate under the headlight Without drilling the casted cross member between the forks? Even if we manage it somehow, will it foul with the fender under excessive compression of forks? Has any one explored anything on those lines on 200 or 390? some details would be appreciated.
Also, what other options we have for the front number? Having a sticker on the wind shield, or the fender is legally on the right or wrong side of the law?

Quote:
Anybody know where I can find Givi equipment for the Duke 390 in Bangalore.

I like this hard luggage kit.
The original Italian GIVI products are not available in bangalore, and even if they were, they would cost half the 390.

WHat you get in Bangalore are replicas of givi, and are available on JC road. Infact, i have been using one for my C5, and they are very useful on long tours.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image0084.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image0088.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 31st October 2013 at 16:28.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 13:15   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
The Indiranagar KTM guys finally relented and gave me the bike today. But with a bone dry chain with no lube at all, which I unfortunately checked after I got back home. Unbelievable drop in customer focus and efficiency from the time I took the D200 from them.

Anyways, some pics of the new dude in the garage, ready with a crown already, to challenge the current ruling king
Saw a 390 and a Ninja heading towards Kolar while returning from a breakfast ride today. The 390 had a large windscreen and the Ninja had an FFE. I am guessing it was you..
Old 1st November 2013, 14:29   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Saw a 390 and a Ninja heading towards Kolar while returning from a breakfast ride today. The 390 had a large windscreen and the Ninja had an FFE. I am guessing it was you..
Yes it was me and my younger bro . Had met some buddies for breakfast at Devanahalli and took a deviation to Kolar on the way back. Were you on a 390 too?
Old 1st November 2013, 17:07   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was me and my younger bro . Had met some buddies for breakfast at Devanahalli and took a deviation to Kolar on the way back. Were you on a 390 too?
Hey Niranjan,
Congrats on your D390, too bad i had to sit out of the ride due to poor health. How was the ride? Was the windscreen helpful in cutting down the air on your neck?
Old 1st November 2013, 17:47   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hey Niranjan,
Congrats on your D390, too bad i had to sit out of the ride due to poor health. How was the ride? Was the windscreen helpful in cutting down the air on your neck?
You missed out on some terrific dosa/vada Mahesh ; get well soon.

The windscreen is extremely useful! I absolutely loved it on the highway today. The entire windblast is now directed towards the top of the helmet even with me sitting ramrod straight. If you open the helmet air-vents, you get great ventilation albeit some minor wind noise. No stress on neck or anything else. Have never felt this comfortable on a Duke on the highway before.
I might straighten the windscreen an inch or so - to make the windblast completely miss the helmet. But still unsure of that since I currently like the ventilation I get.

OT: What's the exhaust on your TB 500 Mahesh? Loved the sound! Is this the new exhaust from X-torque?

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 1st November 2013 at 17:49. Reason: added note
Old 1st November 2013, 17:58   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: What's the exhaust on your TB 500 Mahesh? Loved the sound! Is this the new exhaust from X-torque?
Yep felt miserable for sitting out of the rid today :(

The exhaust is from Wild Board and not from X-Torque. X-Torque happen to sell them as well but i got it through a very know acquaintance.
Even though all my bikes have been stock could not resist the temptation when I heard it on the display bike.

Got a bit of customization courtesy glass wool and would expect the sound to increase with some due time.
Old 1st November 2013, 19:48   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
The Indiranagar KTM guys finally relented and gave me the bike today. But with a bone dry chain with no lube at all, which I unfortunately checked after I got back home. Unbelievable drop in customer focus and efficiency from the time I took the D200 from them.

Anyways, some pics of the new dude in the garage, ready with a crown already, to challenge the current ruling king

Congrats, Niranjan! That no lube thing is terrible.

Enjoy the ride! :-)
Old 1st November 2013, 20:05   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post

My impressions on the ride so far:

I am so afraid to switch off the bike at traffic signals. It refuses to start at green. I have to thumb the starter frantically like 4-5 times before it fires up again. This is a massive problem and feels terrible for a 2L plus bike. This is just bad design and KTM better find a solution to this. I am not impressed at all.

The bike just lugs in 1st and 2nd gear. In Bangalore traffic, the bike will need only 2 gears and at lower engine revs, it behaves like a retard. This is definitely not a good city bike. It's far from one.
The cruisability and in-city drive-ability of the bike is just pathetic. If there is no throttle input, it decelerates tremendously and if you open the throttle, it accelerates like mad. The bike is always on steroids and believe me, this is not a good thing always.
Ouch! That is too hard. You seems to have awful time with the bike.

Now I'm in dilemma. Just arrived after a TD.

My views:

1. Bike has a odd riding position wrt to pedals. May be because, I ride Thunder Bird 350.

2. I felt you are pressed forward towards handle during rides. Thus without gloves hands get sore. Adjusting handle bar may rectify it as mentioned already (by VW2010) in this thread.

3. In city it can be driven only in 1st and 2nd gear. Even in 2nd gear,low speeds lead to knocking. Thus I stalled the vehicle 2 - 3 times.

4. Did not like the exhaust note at all. It sounds like clatter / rattling and is definitely irritating.

5. Self Start issue is evident. The SA, who accompanied me upon my request, told me not give any throttle during starting.

6. I rode through fairly rough road and am quite satisfied with its suspension even with a pillion. Note both of us were quite large in size.

7. It can easily accommodate two well built adults.

8. Brakes & tyres are superb. Enough said about it.

9. And last but not least, it can accelerate like no tomorrow. Just loved the feeling.

OT : Btw SA told me we can expect RC390 in 1st quarter of 2014(may be February 2014 itself), price would be around 2.5 lakhs. To all Ninja 650 riders: How does it drive in the city?

To Mods : I had posted the above in another thread. Moved it here for better visibility as this is the unofficial thread for Duke 390. Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3281578
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks