Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2013, 00:29   #1201
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Guys, how do you even manage to ride different motorcycles with ease? The other day I started my Pulsar after a gap of 5 days, and the experience was horrendous. First I could not locate the foot rests in the Pulsar as the Bullet has a wider petrol tank. After that was grasped, faced issues with the gears. Pulsars and Bullets have different gearing techniques and here I was stuck in the middle of the road, when I should be giving 5th , I am giving 3rd and what not . Really if the engine had some voice, it would have screamed at me loud.

How do you all manage guys?

Its not much of an issue. When I rode the 390 out of the showroom I had a bit difficulties for the first few hundred meters like placing the foot on the gear lever instead of footrest, applying too much brake force, etc.But after that I got adapted to the riding position, techniques and power delivery of the motorcycle before even knowing when. After reaching home, I took the CBZ and problems began, though I have been riding the same bike for the past five years. But that too lasted for just a few hundred meters. After that I got adapted to the bike. I think, it happened/happens with everyone here.
Old 16th November 2013, 08:13   #1202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Guys, how do you even manage to ride different motorcycles with ease
Bullet and Pulsar, eh? I have the same combo. Actually, after using the Bull for week or so on a ride, the Pulsar feels light and easy to ride in the city. I actually quite enjoy it!
Old 16th November 2013, 11:54   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, how do you even manage to ride different motorcycles with ease? The other day I started my Pulsar after a gap of 5 days, and the experience was horrendous. First I could not locate the foot rests in the Pulsar as the Bullet has a wider petrol tank. After that was grasped, faced issues with the gears. Pulsars and Bullets have different gearing techniques and here I was stuck in the middle of the road, when I should be giving 5th , I am giving 3rd and what not . Really if the engine had some voice, it would have screamed at me loud.
Older bulls with gears on the RHS may be a tad bit difficult to adapt to, but not an issue with newer generation of bulls. Same shifting pattern as 390 except an extra gear on 390. And yes, the foot rest position is just a matter of riding a couple of kms. once in a while it does get confusing, but nothing alarming. Only difference when i am on the bull these days is i use toe instead of heel to shift.
I do not know what happens to some people when i am riding the 390. They try and race, regardless of whatever bike they are riding, where as i am not interested. But gets annoying sometimes. Has anyone felt similar astride 390?
Old 16th November 2013, 12:13   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not know what happens to some people when i am riding the 390. They try and race, regardless of whatever bike they are riding, where as i am not interested. But gets annoying sometimes. Has anyone felt similar astride 390?
They are just curious. In fact dont race but rather enjoy the adulation. With no stickers on my bike the curiosity is only higher to find what the hell is that orange thing. The one give away is the KTM sticker on the headlight. Need to hide that .

The bike does push the adrenaline of others. The way to enjoy this beast is to learn the way to throttle. Its not the usual way of gradual throttling to speed but the race like throttling.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 12:27   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I don't ride in city traffic but on the highway I have had some cars try to race me !!

Especially the Innovas and some sedans who are not used to bikes passing them sometimes try to desperately catch up and overtake me. But they don't have enough power to pull away from you, so it becomes very irritating cause this overtaking back and forth can go on for few kms. On one ocassion one VW got really aggressive and I just slowed way down to let him get clear of me.

Doc had mentioned few posts back about learning to ride this bike on the highway as being one with the cars. I think that is a very important point to keep in mind for our safety.

Last edited by hsub : 16th November 2013 at 12:28.
hsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 13:28   #1206
Senior - BHPian

This is some thing which we all are quite accustomed to, Aren't we? Remember your childhood days when you would race with your cycle vs the scooters or motorcycles. I do not know, how many of you have done that but I used to do that in my school days on a regular basis. And usually the outcome was pretty much the same every time, could not manage my bicylce at high speeds, and used to have scratches all over my body with falls But that was never a deterrent.
I remember the time when I had brought my Pulsar (way back in 2004) and people with bigger vehicles would try to race if you got to overtake them. The feeling of pride was of utmost importance. I myself have done that on occasions and have paid the price as well.
But there is only one thing as true as a bible. On a road, your two wheeler is one of the most unsafe means of transport you are riding on.
The more we remember that, the better we will be. But then, who does?

The above was just a thought and realisation from my end. Please do not feel offended as we all are part of this tribe, including me offcourse. Both Road-Sense and Sense-Of-Road seems to be lacking in maximum of us. We get offended when others commit, but we also commit the same mistake.

Safe Attentive Driving is required from all of us.
Old 16th November 2013, 15:37   #1207
Senior - BHPian

hsub is right. Cars are simply not used to non-SBK looking bikes passing them effortlessly, and then them not being able to close the gap easily even when the road opens up. This causes great pain to the ego of some drivers, and they will get reckless in an effort to catch and then overtake you, and once done, try to cover the road and actually block you from re-overtaking.

Remember guys, you may be (and are now) faster, but the car is still a whole lot bigger, and the driver is covered in a steel cage. So please be careful and learn to judge a driver by the way he drives. Its simply not worth the momentary thrill, if God forbid one of you messes up.

Give way. Let him be happy. In his mind he KNOWS you let him go.

P.S. Then again, to be fair, you will come across some sporting guys, who will dice with you cleanly, keeping enough margin. And then when you stop and pull over way ahead, get down, take off your helmet and gloves, and look back, and they eventually pass by, they'll slow down, pull down the windows, and give you a thumbs up in appreciation.

Last edited by ebonho : 16th November 2013 at 15:44.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 16:32   #1208
Senior - BHPian

The first ever rain ride..

Just back from a longish ride. my fingers are still numb from the cold, while i type. was not really expecting rain, but it did. and boy, for the first time, i was doing this kind of speed in the rain, with confidence. the bike felt planted with superb grip, also helped by lack of cross wind. the bike is all dirty now.

on my c5, my lower back was the last thing to get wet in rain, on the 390, its the first.. the fine spray from the tyre wet the back along with some dirty. Not sure if its cos of no hugger. the bike is all dirty now.. feeling sad.. :(
Old 16th November 2013, 20:07   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
hsub is right. Cars are simply not used to non-SBK looking bikes passing them effortlessly, and then them not being able to close the gap easily even when the road opens up. This causes great pain to the ego of some drivers, and they will get reckless in an effort to catch and then overtake you, and once done, try to cover the road and actually block you from re-overtaking.

Remember guys, you may be (and are now) faster, but the car is still a whole lot bigger, and the driver is covered in a steel cage. So please be careful and learn to judge a driver by the way he drives. Its simply not worth the momentary thrill, if God forbid one of you messes up.

Give way. Let him be happy. In his mind he KNOWS you let him go.

P.S. Then again, to be fair, you will come across some sporting guys, who will dice with you cleanly, keeping enough margin. And then when you stop and pull over way ahead, get down, take off your helmet and gloves, and look back, and they eventually pass by, they'll slow down, pull down the windows, and give you a thumbs up in appreciation.
True. Yesterday while I was returning from the KTM showroom on my 390, saw a Ford Figo ahead with Tbhp stickers. I became overwhelmed and flashed a couple of times. Suddenly he started driving like a maniac and he almost squeezed me on his left side between him and an Activa. I overtook him when he slowed a bit due to traffic and things were normal for a few seconds. Suddenly I heard continuous honking from the rear and it was the same Figo. I gave him way and he drove away very rashly, almost rear ending a bus. People can't digest the fact that motorcycles can be ridden faster than cars,especially when they see a naked street fighter with wide tires overtaking their luxury cars. But most of the time those behind the wheels wont realize that they are putting not just their own life at risk but of others too and the other could be their own beloved.

What annoyed me most is I never expected such a behavior from a Bhpian
Old 16th November 2013, 20:22   #1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post

What annoyed me most is I never expected such a behavior from a Bhpian
I have seen a few cars with tbhp stickers been driven rashly, but I feel these guys have probably got their hands on tbhp stickers from somewhere and just put them on their car. I doubt they are actually members on the forum.
Old 16th November 2013, 20:28   #1211
Senior - BHPian

What confuses a lot of the car junta is the fact that the 390 looks like a 200 for the most part, especially on the move where its rarely possible for even the trained eye to make out the subtle differences. Now the car junta has been used to seeing the 200 on Indian roads for close to 2 years now. They know what it can do, and where. Its the open road / highway performance of the 390 that's actually a huge culture shock for them. Especially those in the fancier new sedans and performance hot hatches (my limited experience ).
Old 16th November 2013, 22:22   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What confuses a lot of the car junta is the fact that the 390 looks like a 200 for the most part,
Doc,
Would agree to your analogy, car drivers rarely acknowledge the naked bikes. Have experienced this first hand when i was returning from Goa to Bangalore on my FZ1. There was this buffoon on a Ford Mondeo who was giving a wild chase to us. He was with his family and the way he was driving was pure reckless at speeds in excess of 160 Kays. When I pulled over for some caffeine and nicotine he was like "Is this not FZ 16".

A wry smile and he was gone.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 22:53   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
Its the open road / highway performance of the 390 that's actually a huge culture shock for them. Especially those in the fancier new sedans and performance hot hatches (my limited experience ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,
Would agree to your analogy, car drivers rarely acknowledge the naked bikes.
I have faced this a few times on the highway as well and here's where I believe loud exhausts save lives. I have almost always had cars and even trucks give way when I am on the ninja - even when I am not really looking to overtake them. Just because they hear it coming from a long way off.

But on my old Duke 200/CBR250 and the current D390, I have had all kinds of vehicles change lanes suddenly, cut me off and what not. Even though I ride with my headlights on all the time. But in most cases, just patiently slowing down and letting them have go works - you will anyway pass them at the next hint of traffic. But this is the primary reason I'll be throwing on the Akrapovic on the Duke 390 as soon as it is available. It's a buffoon-repellant. And hence saves lives.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 23:19   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Car, bus, and truck guys still can be understood, as they are inside a coccoon. I have had many Bulleteer friends of mine complain that the Duke is so silent that they do not have a clue when I am coming up on them and going to pass. I know loud pipes have their use, but honestly it is so much less strssful riding a silent bike when munching long distances over long days. The sound does add significantly to fatique levels. I use the horn and flasher really liberally and give a lot of clearance while overtaking. Never tailgate and jink out like a lot of (even seasoned) riders do. And even when I can see 5 km straight down the road in the clear fast lane, and I am about to pass a truck, I never go 100% wrists to stop flat out, because experience has taught me that these guys are the craziest when it comes to sudden 90 degree lane changes (something to do with their steering wheel dynamics).

Last edited by ebonho : 16th November 2013 at 23:22.
Old 17th November 2013, 09:12   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
And even when I can see 5 km straight down the road in the clear fast lane, and I am about to pass a truck, I never go 100% wrists to stop flat out, because experience has taught me that these guys are the craziest when it comes to sudden 90 degree lane changes (something to do with their steering wheel dynamics).
Yes, wringing the throttle wide open is not always an answer or a necessity. These trucks and buses change lanes in a blink of an eye without any indication. Its any day better to give our self some room and slowly but gradually overtake them. In the 390 it is a vary fast but peaceful process. Just slowly build engine speed and the bike will complete the job without braking any sweat. This method often reduces rider fatigue on those long rides.

Most Viewed