Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2013, 01:36   #1351
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post

Is it the wind force, acceleration, vibrations at hand or feet, exhaust note, stiffness, heat n humidity of coastal place where I reside, engine heat, riding angle / position ( my palms, shoulder tend to ache as I ride with a bent position with full load of body on my palms). I really don't know. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this or I have to concede that my age has truly caught up with me and keep perennial stock of red bulls in my riding bag.
The 390 is a properly fast street fighter and is not intended for touring. So obviously we have to pay the toll if we take it for touring. While touring we all will be in triple digit speeds that demands a lot of rider concentration. Our brains are in full steam on a really busy senario. I have toured on several bikes but found the duke to be the most tiring. Most characteristics of the bike won't compliment you much on touring, namely the stiff spring setup, the vibrations, exhaust note and the super villain wind blast. The small fuel tank gives unnecessary breaks. And when it comes to corners, the duke loves to be leaned over which needs a lot of energy as well as commitment from the rider while on the other sports tourers, the bike is heavier and stable around corners, that hardly require you to lean. So you go through corners slower than the Duke but with minimal effort. All these things are hindrances to a comfortable touring. I have did 400+ km trips comfortably without any breaks on Karizmas but the Duke pained my knees and butts every hundred kms.

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 1st December 2013 at 01:43.
junaid12345678 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 01:56   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
The 390 is a properly fast street fighter and is not intended for touring. So obviously we have to pay the toll if we take it for touring. While touring we all will be in triple digit speeds that demands a lot of rider concentration. Our brains are in full steam on a really busy senario. I have toured on several bikes but found the duke to be the most tiring. Most characteristics of the bike won't compliment you much on touring, namely the stiff spring setup, the vibrations, exhaust note and the super villain wind blast. The small fuel tank gives unnecessary breaks. And when it comes to corners, the duke loves to be leaned over which needs a lot of energy as well as commitment from the rider while on the other sports tourers, the bike is heavier and stable around corners, that hardly require you to lean. So you go through corners slower than the Duke but with minimal effort. All these things are hindrances to a comfortable touring. I have did 400+ km trips comfortably without any breaks on Karizmas but the Duke pained my knees and butts every hundred kms.
Exactly Junaid. same here. I have done 350 Kms on my P180 without getting down from the bike even once and over 700-1000 Kms / day long cruising on my Eliminator. Never did these bike leave me with any sort of fatigue. But duke is different. even a 200 Km ride leaves me dead tired. I am getting a wind shield for my duke pretty soon and will ride to Blr in about a week's time ( that will be a 1500+ Km round trip ). Hope that helps to some extent. let us see
Old 1st December 2013, 08:42   #1353
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I have been thinking of asking this for some time now. I am getting fatigued while riding my 390.
Recently I did a Gurgaon to Bengal run with approximately 1200km being done over 18 hours in one day. Yes, the Duke does take a lot out of a rider. That being said, its an absolute star on the highway due to its sheer power on the tap, handling and braking. Seldom did I have to shift from 6th and never did I have second thoughts while overtaking or getting out of tight situations. On my previous bikes, I had to think and plan much more.
However, consistent 120+ speeds over extended periods is not too easy so I stuck to the 95-120 range mostly. Also, Duke and its stiff suspension hates bad roads. All the butt sore happens when it goes over these roads and I personally feel that the seat design with its sharp edges is an ergonomic flaw.

P.S: The eliminator is a sofa. Can't be compared
Old 1st December 2013, 14:30   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So much for all the hype about AUTOSERVICE, Banashankri, Bangalore.

Went there for the 1st service this morning. Had pre-booked, and informed them that i will wait there while the bike gets serviced, and take it back with me. Reached at 9:30 am. Service experience was neutral, got the bike back at 11:30 am. while riding it back, i did feel a lack of pickup. after riding for about 7 kms, at a traffic signal, while pushing the bike front in neutral, i realized that it was impossible to push.As if the brakes were applied. crossed the signal, stopped on the side, and touched the rear rotor, and burnt my fingers. It was Burning hot, and some smoke emitting from the rear disc assembly. waited for 10 mins to cool the rotors, and went back to the service center. Had to stop every km, for 10 mins to cool the rotor. the mechanic at autoservice had overtightened the rear brake lever, with almost zilch play. Got it sorted, but all in all, my very first service experience with them was on a disappointing note. wonder what all the fleet of ninjas, busas and harleys were doing there. ???

Quote:
I am 5'7" and for my height, the RVM are just fine. But I have to arch my neck a bit to the side as the position of RVM are a in my peripheral vision so to say.
While at service, i got the RVMs replaced with Avengers. Direct fit. The view is much improved compared to the stock. looks a bit odd, but not bad. For me, its safely over aesthetics, in most of the cases.
Old 1st December 2013, 18:28   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Saw this open socket sticking out from below my speedo console. Any idea what this is? Or is is supposed to be open without any connections?

BTW. All the speedo functions and bike electronics are working perfectly.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-imag1289.jpg
Old 1st December 2013, 18:36   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Guys,

Saw this open socket sticking out from below my speedo console. Any idea what this is? Or is is supposed to be open without any connections?

BTW. All the speedo functions and bike electronics are working perfectly.

Attachment 1173325
That is for adding accessories - there are 2 of them.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 18:37   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
That is for adding accessories - there are 2 of them.
Thanks a lot Sridhu. You mean like charger or a cigar lighter?
Old 1st December 2013, 19:51   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Thanks a lot Sridhu. You mean like charger or a cigar lighter?
Yes. I added a cigarette lighter. But since there is no fuse in the line, have decided to use only for emergencies. (My Samsung Duos also does not charge off any cigarette lighter based USB supply. The S3 does!)
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 22:23   #1359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

Yes. I added a cigarette lighter. But since there is no fuse in the line, have decided to use only for emergencies. (My Samsung Duos also does not charge off any cigarette lighter based USB supply. The S3 does!)
Sridhu, I have a cigarette lighter based USB supply in my car which I use to charge my Samsung Grand Duos on regular basis. Can I use a similar accessory on my 390 for mobile charging on long rides?
Old 2nd December 2013, 05:33   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post
Hi guys, i was really interested installing the KTM powerparts tank pad, but did not feel it to be worth that kinda moolah. Instead i've got the area where the tank pad would be installed vinyl wrapped with carbon fibre look-alike sheet. It looks ok, Please look through the pics and provide feedback guys. I think this would do the job without burning a hole through your pockets
Sorry guys for some reason the pictures did not get attached, hence here follows the pics, a DIY take on a tank pad.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20131201wa0004.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20131201wa0005.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20131201wa0006.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20131201wa0007.jpg  

Dr.Awesomeness is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:25   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post
Sorry guys for some reason the pictures did not get attached, hence here follows the pics, a DIY take on a tank pad.
Sweet job mate! Finally a tankpad that I believe is worthy of the name 'Tank Pad'. i never really understood the point of those tiny little pads not protecting the tank at all except for a small area where you know what rubs against it
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:29   #1362
Senior - BHPian

@Dr.Awesomeness: I had the exact same idea until I saw the Keiti pads at LGU. Went for them but I still think yours is a better option. Just my opinon, after I see the photos again: matte black might have suited the bike better. (I was also thinking of doing the same sheet that you have used. SO, 100% benefit of hindsight!). Good job & I especially love the orange highlight

@ashkamath: Ashok, the non-charging my Samsung Duos is a problem with my model i think. It does not even charge from my laptop's regular USB - only charges from the powered USB slot. So, you should be fine. Get the cigarette lighter socket with the rubber hood - makes slightly more resistant to water. If you can get powerlet stuff, the installation is very clean. Mine is local.
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:54   #1363
j76
BHPian

Have any of you had an issue with the gear display. Sometimes when it is in neutral it shows up as 3. Yesterday for all gears above 3 it showed as 3, on shitfting down 1 and 2 displayed alright. This persisted for sometime and after riding a few more kms the gear number showed up correctly again.

Am thinking it must be the sensor or some lose connection. Anything I can check before I take it to the service guys.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:29   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Heres is how the avenger RVMs appear on 390.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-02.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2013, 11:53   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Hope the mirrors are functionally better. Else the chrome kills the looks. A better mirror would be trying to find the old KB plastic ones. Tough to get but those are sturdy and will go with the bike.

Chrome mirrors are quite looks killer for this bike. My personal opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks