Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 11:12   #1441
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The TBTS and the CBR250R have, IMO, the softest clutches.

If you adjust the lever to lessen the travel (not just the initial position), the force needed to operate should go up.

Regards
Sutripta
Yes Sutripta, The TBTS clutch feel was really good. CBR is superlight!

Yes there is a chance that the clutch might become harder if reach is shortened. But now it is both out of reach and heavy, atleast I can address the first issue! And as nasirkaka has mentioned, I have noticed that I have become too lazy to operate the indicator just because of this reason, earlier I used to use indicator all the time even for a small lane change. I dont want to deviate from that habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
The online link is useless for new vehicle details. It takes some time before the data is posted to that site wherever it is.
Best would be to go to 'Bangalore One' centre and ask for RC extract print out which costs Rs.18/-. They seems to be having access to actual data being used by RTO. I got this print out as the smart card issual is delayed. Only yesterday I received my smart card i.e., after almost 3-4 weeks.
I will check if 'Bangalore One' office is there nearby. Thanks. But anyways I am going to write the number for now and wait for the smart card. Showroom guys mentioned that it would take upto 45days.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 5th December 2013 at 11:16.
Old 5th December 2013, 11:53   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I have done 350 Kms on my P180 without getting down from the bike even once and over 700-1000 Kms / day long cruising on my Eliminator. Never did these bike leave me with any sort of fatigue. But duke is different. even a 200 Km ride leaves me dead tired.
I would attribute the fatigue on a Duke to the vibrations. I've done Leh on a P150 and done a fair few highway rides (short ones) on the Avenger myself, and IMO those bikes are smooth and relaxed at 80. On the 390, 80 kmph is such an annoying no man's land. The single cylinder engine wants you to push further to about 100 kmph in 6th where it is nice and smooth, which, I feel, is the upper limit after which it starts to get raucous, and the wind blast takes its toll on the rider. Or you can stay at 50-60 kmph and amble along on the last lane.
Old 5th December 2013, 12:46   #1443
Senior - BHPian

The 390 is a tall geared bike. And its a big piston in a big bore. Even with inbuilt counterbalancer there are going to be the vibes of a big single. And it is pretty unforgiving in each gear, but especially 2,3 and 4, to low revs with bad knocking and chain snatch.

That said, you quickly learn the ideal speeds for each gear and the speeds at which the upshifts are smoothest. Whatever you do, the first few gears will be clunky on upshifting at the lwer city speeds. But out on the highway the same problem will not be there. Downshifting is still butter smooth (though the 200's GB is better all around - no two ways about that).

But I am really suprised about complaints about rider fatigue on this bike and that it cannot be ridden long or continuous. My experience as I have mentioned many times is the opposite. Its the first Indian bike that can comfortably go cross country on the super highways staying comfortably ahead of big sedans and munching distance like no tomorrow and still make you reach your destination fresh.

The only bummer is stopping every 200 kms for fuel which totally messes up the rhythm. The fact that most long distance rider have complained of the same should be ample indication of how effortless riding long distances on this bike, and fast, can be. Possibly the other bummers for me personally was the hard throttle, which has a kink at the end. The clutch never troubled me as much (I am used to the clutch of my Std and LB 500s).

Last edited by ebonho : 5th December 2013 at 12:48.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 15:34   #1444
Distinguished - BHPian

I keep hearing that the 690 will be launched next year. Should any credence be given to this?
Old 5th December 2013, 15:44   #1445

I had posted this in Sriram's ownership thread. Thought of posting the same here incase it helps anyone.

(Mods please delete if duplication is now allowed)

Earlier, If rode in traffic for more than 5 mins, the temp gauge immediately used to show 11 bars with the High Coolant Temperature warning on the MID. If I continued to ride it in traffic, it used to go up till 13 bars, with the result that I've had to wait at the side of the road plenty of times.

When I wen't for the first service, the technician tested the fan and other aspects thoroughly. He also kept the headlight as well as an indicator on the whole time.

His final diagnosis was that there was a possibility that the fan was not getting enough power to restart once it cut off between 9-11 kmph while running in traffic. He had to nudge it with a screwdriver a couple of times for it to start. Probable reason was some issue with the fan wiring.

Got the fan replaced under warranty. All good now. Purposely took a route with bumper to bumper traffic on the way back from the SVC to see if all was good. Temp gauge never went beyond 9 bars
KaushikN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 16:03   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whatever you do, the first few gears will be clunky on upshifting at the lwer city speeds. But out on the highway the same problem will not be there.
There is this speed change method you can follow. This helps reducing the clunkiness. Preload the gear with your foot underneath and apply a mild pressure. When you are ready to change, throttle down, upshift and throttle up(engaging and disengaging the gears accordingly).

Quote:
Possibly the other bummers for me personally was the hard throttle, which has a kink at the end
I am going to convert this throttle into those short throttle. The cam is too small and one needs to rotate over 100deg to get the magic. A short throttle will definitely help with those wheel pops and mad rush.

Quote:
But I am really suprised about complaints about rider fatigue on this bike and that it cannot be ridden long or continuous.
I thought the bike was designed in a way to feel the wind and get blasted. Having a fairing and a windshield meant you were taking away the blast. Naked bikes are supposed to make you feel jittery.

FZ1 is not different either. BUt the difference one can make is by wearing the right gears. A proper tight fit helmet and a good jacket solves. And you hit the nail on its head. The distance covered per day is definitely up with these bikes. They are not designed for a specific purpose, but if you can manage the shortcomings, they are excellent allrounders including track days. Check out a picture in FB of a guy in his jeans probably doing a lean angle..thats pretty much what you can do and take a picture of yourself if you have the guts

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 5th December 2013, 16:15   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am going to convert this throttle into those short throttle. The cam is too small and one needs to rotate over 100deg to get the magic. A short throttle will definitely help with those wheel pops and mad rush.
Wont this make it more jerky in slow moving traffics? Already the first gear is jerky in crawling speeds!
Old 5th December 2013, 16:27   #1448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I keep hearing that the 690 will be launched next year. Should any credence be given to this?
There is a saying - We will cross the bridge when we come to it. (In this case when it comes to us ). Heard 690 is due in 2015. RC series will debut in 2014. that is still a good full year for 690 and by that time lot of water would flown in the Indian Biking river
Old 5th December 2013, 16:39   #1449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wont this make it more jerky in slow moving traffics? Already the first gear is jerky in crawling speeds!
Its a skill is what i can say. I already removed all the play and i am enjoying the throttle response. Just waiting to get the cam mod done and make it more playful

The slow traffic technique is to just let the RPM around the same mark till you get a clear road. Change gears differently but retain the RPM.
Old 5th December 2013, 16:52   #1450
Senior - BHPian

@VW2010 be careful of puting a quick throttle on the bike. Unless you get a good imported one, the local/Taiwan ones suck big time man, and let you down at the most inopportune times (not that there is any opportune time for a throttle to go bust .....). The channel often gets bad, the cable keeps tripping and snagging, and the movement becomes very dirty (that smooth soft feeling with the nice rebound just goes).

The pre-load rev balancing trick is done as second nature by most seasoned riders bro, but thanks. Even so, this box is clunky. No escaping that. I have a feling some of it is related to the clutch as well, definitely the first gear run-on.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 17:05   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I have a feling some of it is related to the clutch as well, definitely the first gear run-on.
I have said this before and saying again. Adjusting the clutch cable play and keeping it at ~ 2mm as per manual does wonders to gear shifts. The only grouse is this has to be done quite frequently, every ~300 km in my case - with regular city riding and lot of clutch usage.

EDIT: So what I do is use my second Trip meter to monitor the distance ridden b/w every iteration of chain/clutch cable adjustment and lubrication. Got a paddock stand recently.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131129_211346.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131129_211356.jpg  

Last edited by Added_flavor : 5th December 2013 at 17:15.
Added_flavor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 18:24   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Got a paddock stand recently.
If its ok, can you share where u got that paddock in bangalore and also its cost. Thanks!

Quote:
@VW2010 be careful of puting a quick throttle on the bike. Unless you get a good imported one, the local/Taiwan ones suck big time man, and let you down at the most inopportune times (not that there is any opportune time for a throttle to go bust .....). The channel often gets bad, the cable keeps tripping and snagging, and the movement becomes very dirty (that smooth soft feeling with the nice rebound just goes).
i read some place about using a throttle cam from pulsar 200NS on the 390. suppose to reduce the throttle movement from 100 odd degrees to some 80 degrees. wonder if someone is tried it here.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 5th December 2013 at 18:46.
Old 5th December 2013, 18:32   #1453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Got a paddock stand recently.
Nice cost-effective(?) stand there man. If its also ok, can you share the broad dimensions of the stand? Basically the height of the swing arm holders and the length & breadth of the base rectangle.
Old 5th December 2013, 19:20   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
If its ok, can you share where u got that paddock in bangalore and also its cost. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Nice cost-effective(?) stand there man. If its also ok, can you share the broad dimensions of the stand? Basically the height of the swing arm holders and the length & breadth of the base rectangle.
This was initiated by Mr. Saqib in fb. Link is here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
The cost of the same is 850INR. I think the initial lot has been ordered and delivery was scheduled this weekend.
PM me if you would require Mr. Saqibs' contact.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 20:22   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I have been thinking of asking this for some time now. I am getting fatigued while riding my 390. I am the type of rider who could or used to ride hours n hours n hours without a care for food or drink or butt stops on my Elim and Pulsar. But with the 390 I am observing that I am getting tired pretty much soon....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
But I am really suprised about complaints about rider fatigue on this bike and that it cannot be ridden long or continuous. My experience as I have mentioned many times is the opposite. Its the first Indian bike that can comfortably go cross country on the super highways staying comfortably ahead of big sedans and munching distance like no tomorrow and still make you reach your destination fresh.
I think these diametrically opposite views on the fatigue/ease of riding the Duke 390 can be explained by the way you ride. If you ride it like a sports bike, with lots of acceleration and deceleration, you will feel fatigued after an hour's ride. On the other hand, it you ride it as a tourer, keeping it usually at a steady speed, and accelerating and decelerating slowly, you will feel fresh after even a long ride.

Anyway, that is my theory...I can vouch only for the first part...

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 5th December 2013 at 20:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks