Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 11:34   #1501
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

On a side note, I met a fellow 390 owner today while dropping my bike off for service. He had the powerparts windscreen installed, and confirmed that it's useless.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 12:09   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Do you think screen guard will work outdoors ? I think it might develop bubbles very fast. It is not designed for direct prolonged exposure to sunlight. I may be wrong though. Please update the condition of the film after a few days.
I have no idea about how long it will last. Will update if it starts developing bubbles soon. Actually, as i was doing this screen guard application for the first time, the application wasn't perfect, and i managed to trap two small bubbles. Didnt want to re-do it so have left it like that. lets see, how long it lasts. so far so good!

Quote:
I agree that fitting the windscreen is def. not a piece of cake. I spent half my sunday too and faced the same issue as you did. Finally I gave up and went to the service center guys and they did a pretty good job.

My question to you is, are you planning to get the bar supports for the windscreen too?
true. guys be careful with those rubber rivet type screws while changing the windscreen cos if it accidentally drops in the headlamp assembly, it will demand opening up the headlamp, which is time taking job, and may require two newbies to put it back. I want to put bar supports for added strength. Will check out JC road and see if i can get something which can be tweaked to do the job. Also, i think Decathlon sports shop may be helpful, as they have a range of accessories for bicycles, which fit on handle bars. May get something there which can be modified a bit with bars to support the windscreen. meanwhile if anyone is comeup with a solution for bar supports for fazer windscreen, please share it.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 12:12   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
true. guys be careful with those rubber rivet type screws while changing the windscreen cos if it accidentally drops in the headlamp assembly, it will demand opening up the headlamp, which is time taking job, and may require two newbies to put it back.
I had no idea about this, but by sheer beginner's luck some how the rubber part did'nt fall into the HL assembly! I was pushing and pulling the part to align the allen-key bolts!

Quote:
I want to put bar supports for added strength. Will check out JC road and see if i can get something which can be tweaked to do the job.
I have an idea in mind and planning to implement it. I was thinking, instead of adding a support from handlebar to the top of the Fazer screen, add a metal bracket connecting the bottom 4 mounting screws and the top pre drilled hole. I know it wont be as sturdy as the handle bar mount, but want to give it a try! I guess it should stop the screen from fluttering and will give a vertical support.

Also, Any idea from where I can source rubber washers? Will it be available in local hardware shops? My screen is having a vibration from 2500-3500 RPM. Although Its not a showstopper, I want to do something about it. And the mounting thread inside seems too flimsy! I think I have even stripped one of them and I am afraid of tightening it every now and then (Mine got loose after 600kms)!
Old 12th December 2013, 12:40   #1504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I have an idea in mind and planning to implement it. I was thinking, instead of adding a support from handlebar to the top of the Fazer screen, add a metal bracket connecting the bottom 4 mounting screws and the top pre drilled hole. I know it wont be as sturdy as the handle bar mount, but want to give it a try! I guess it should stop the screen from fluttering and will give a vertical support.
This is a good idea and precisely what I was planning to do had it been required. You would just need to curve the strip to perfectly match the curve of the windscreen, to avoid pressure points and rattling and/or cracking. Not difficult if done in aluminium.

Quote:
Also, Any idea from where I can source rubber washers? Will it be available in local hardware shops? My screen is having a vibration from 2500-3500 RPM. Although Its not a showstopper, I want to do something about it. And the mounting thread inside seems too flimsy! I think I have even stripped one of them and I am afraid of tightening it every now and then (Mine got loose after 600kms)!
Go to any Yamaha showroom and ask them for the rubbers for fitting the FZ-S front windscreen ("crown"). I would send you the entire brand new bubble wrapped assembly I have (with bracket, screws, rubber spacers, windscreen, the lot), but it would be cheaper for you to just buy it there.

Last edited by ebonho : 12th December 2013 at 12:41.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 13:30   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
This is a good idea and precisely what I was planning to do had it been required. You would just need to curve the strip to perfectly match the curve of the windscreen, to avoid pressure points and rattling and/or cracking. Not difficult if done in aluminium.
Will the local workshop guys make such bracket with aluminum?

Quote:
Go to any Yamaha showroom and ask them for the rubbers for fitting the FZ-S front windscreen ("crown"). I would send you the entire brand new bubble wrapped assembly I have (with bracket, screws, rubber spacers, windscreen, the lot), but it would be cheaper for you to just buy it there.
Thanks Doc. Will enquire about it. It should be easily available here. Are these 'rubbers' washers or a complete set of bolt with rubber washers?
Old 12th December 2013, 13:39   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
May get something there which can be modified a bit with bars to support the windscreen. meanwhile if anyone is come up with a solution for bar supports for fazer windscreen, please share it.

I have a slightly different solution for the Fazer WS support. I am working on it. Problem is I am in Goa, not a place like Bangalore or Pune to easily source my requirements. I guess, the solution looks elegant and removes the vibration issue with the WS. As soon as I am done I will share it on the forum. The easiest part of procuring a Fazer WS took over 2-3 weeks as there was no stock in Goa, Got it now and for the next stage ..Hope it comes out good

Last edited by ashkamath : 12th December 2013 at 13:41.
Old 12th December 2013, 14:12   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The mod which u have in mind is not very simple as it would involve getting correct measurements, neatly cutting the metal, matching 4 holes and the holes on the top, getting the curve for the top part right, and surface finishing of the bracket. Ideally CNC laser cutting or a turret punch's job provided the drawing is precise. Lets say even if you achieve all this, the job is only half done.
The issue as of now is, the 4 OEM screen mounting points are on the front plastic curve of the HL assembly. That plastic thickness would be around 2-3mm, and that bears all the load. Even with your bracket, the load is coming on those 4 points (cantilever). infact it would be + added weight of the bracket. So the solution may help curbing the flutter/ vibes of the screen a bit, does not really add strength to the overall structure. If the same effort is applied in somehow distributing the load to the handle bar, the overall structure becomes strong, there cantilever is cancelled, and the assembly becomes rigid, reducing load on those 4 plastic oem mounting points. This is what i feel, not sure though.

Quote:
Also, Any idea from where I can source rubber washers? Will it be available in local hardware shops? My screen is having a vibration from 2500-3500 RPM. Although Its not a showstopper, I want to do something about it. And the mounting thread inside seems too flimsy! I think I have even stripped one of them and I am afraid of tightening it every now and then (Mine got loose after 600kms)
As suggested by doc, u can explore yamaha service shop. else, rubber washers of different sizes are available in hardware shops. i want to source those rubber type screws which acts as rivets. i was also afraid of cracking the plastic part, if i tightened too much. Also, those small allen bolts are not so good quality, and if some extra force is applied, they slip spoiling the hex. i tried with two different keys, but same result.

An Observation:

last night, i realized that the chain slap sound greatly reduces when with a pillion, on the same road stretch. Was it just my imagination, or is it really so?

Last edited by nasirkaka : 12th December 2013 at 14:14.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 14:24   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Will the local workshop guys make such bracket with aluminum?
Any tinker used to working with (beating/bending/shaping) metal can do this. Just link up the two vertical struts with 1/2 cross struts for further stiffness.

Quote:
Thanks Doc. Will enquire about it. It should be easily available here. Are these 'rubbers' washers or a complete set of bolt with rubber washers?
They are round rubber bushes with grooves within which the windscreen is sandwiched. Like the window glass ruber beading in cars. They fit into the pre-made mounting holes of the windshield with the rubber overlapping on both sides of the acrylic, with a hole in the center for the bolt. They are perfect for isolating acrylic and metal/fiber and preventing rattling.

I did not check, but you'll just have to make sure that the hole ID of the bush is the same as the OD of the 4 OE Duke allen bolts. Otherwise the FZ-S kit comes with (really expensive - 65 bucks each?!!) mounting bolts as well, but I'm not sure whether they would fit in the OE bush threading.

Last edited by ebonho : 12th December 2013 at 14:37.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 14:37   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are these 'rubbers' washers or a complete set of bolt with rubber washers?
Another option is to buy those rubber screws that you find inside the head cluster holding your current visor. A set of 5 is around 20 bucks in Bajaj service centre.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 16:04   #1510
BHPian

Went past 2000kms on the Odo yesterday. The Duchess has seen far too many city miles as my Zeema started blowing her main fuse.

Few of the issues I'm living with at the moment:

1. High frequency buzzing that appears to emanate from the RHS switch cluster/Speedo assembly. This wasn't fixed even though I'd complained about it during the first service.
2. The chain slackness appears to have increased significantly since the first service (which was at 1100) and hence the swingarm-slapping noises have begun on even slightly uneven road surfaces.
3. The KTM powerparts windscreen is practically useless at reducing windblast. But at 120 clicks, the windblast isn't bad enough to force me to cough up 8-9k on an aftermarket screen. Hell, the powerparts screen atleast allowed me to sticker a big enough number plate *Saving Grace*
4. The fuel gauge is a moody little sucker. I see the low fuel light switching on when I kill the engine at a signal and then a minute later, the gauge is back reporting one bar of fuel before it slips into the reserve-range

Other than these minor niggles, I am a happy chappy. The Metzelers coupled with Bosch's fine ABS keep surprising me each time the brakes are called into service.
Also, the way The Duchess handles corners makes my Zeema feel like the old lady she is in motorcycling-tech terms.

P.S: Anyone manage to spot the source of the buzzing that appears to have plagued a majority of the 390's here?
Please do report back so that the rest of us can report back to the SVCs and stop being buzzed out.

Last edited by MavericK46 : 12th December 2013 at 16:05. Reason: Typograficak errours...
Old 12th December 2013, 16:51   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S: Anyone manage to spot the source of the buzzing that appears to have plagued a majority of the 390's here?

High frequency buzzing that appears to emanate from the RHS switch cluster/Speedo assembly. This wasn't fixed even though I'd complained about it during the first service
One of the members found out it was the radiator coolant box rubbing against the tank. It seems the radiator coolant box and the tank are bolted in such a way that there is enough movement between the two.

When you get the high frequency buzzing, try holding down the righ part of the tank. It does reduce the buzz and the best way to fix is get some rubber between the tank and the box.

Also the white plastic on the tank is making a rattling noise with the lower part of the tank. This could also be the culprit.
Old 12th December 2013, 18:14   #1512
Senior - BHPian

@Ebobho and others,

Do you guys feel a difference between your standard fuel and say premium fuel? I am using only standard all these days but i am feeling a turbo like effect where the bike rides smoothly to speeds but when you do full throttle, there is definitely a pause before the bike comes to life. On gradual speeds it comfortably hits speeds without any fuss but.

Anyone else felt this and do you think i should test it with speed petrol for sometime?
Old 12th December 2013, 21:28   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
Please do report back so that the rest of us can report back to the SVCs and stop being buzzed out.
My bike has done over 3500 Kms now and very recently ( about a couple of 100 Kms back, I started noticing some engine noise, a constant humming / buzzing if you may say. It is like when one does not change the engine oil for a long period and you could feel some humming / churning sort in the engine. Sometimes I feel it might be the radiator fan running, I am not sure. But surely it makes me feel the engine is tired / dragging sort of.

Further apart from initial run-in period, my engine never heated up, I mean I could not feel the heat much from say 500 Kms to 3000 kms on odo. But now again since last couple of 100 Kms the engine heat is quite high and palpable which is surprising to me ( as mostly I cruise at 80sh speed in 5th or 6th gear, so I guess the engine should not emanate so much heat) and this I have noticed recently. Today at a signal the heat was so much, that an Yamaha rider next to me told me -- there is too much heat from your engine, check the engine oil level . I bet he could feel the heat too.

Another thought. I used the Mobil1 10W40 Fully Synth oil during my first service. But the Owner's manual (hard copy) says 10W50 and recommends Motul 7100 4T 10W50. Should I change to this next time ( the manual is not for European condition as the cover page says 390 Duke IN

I am thinking of taking the bike to service center and change the engine oil. ( I had done it at 1489 Km first service and now it is over 2000 Kms from there) so will try it out and check with the mechanic about the humming noise.

Last edited by ashkamath : 12th December 2013 at 21:36.
Old 12th December 2013, 22:18   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
Anyone manage to spot the source of the buzzing that appears to have plagued a majority of the 390's here?
Workshop fellow claims to have tightened the windscreen screws and the speedo console screws. Whatever he did, the buzzing is gone.

Khach khach sound of chain slap is still there. I have learnt to ignore it completely. And yes, I am not getting anything more than 23 kmpl. I didn't buy this thing for efficiency anyway, but I wouldn't mind 15% more. Oh well, who wouldn't.

Quote:
last night, i realized that the chain slap sound greatly reduces when with a pillion, on the same road stretch. Was it just my imagination, or is it really so?
Absolutely true. Whenever my service advisor rode, he didn't hear the sound. When I rode pillion with him (never getting on that seat ever again in my life, even the 954's pillion seat is more comfy) it refused to show up. We switched places, refused to show up. I rode alone and a few kms later the khach khach sound started again. Very very very annoying.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 13th December 2013 at 10:50. Reason: Typo
Old 12th December 2013, 23:04   #1515
BHPian

Got the bike serviced today. (first free service).
One observation is that engine sounds smoother and vibes are less. But to drive at the same speed, the rpm shoots much higher as compared to earlier. Is it a good thing or a bad thing for mileage ?
The heating appears to have gone up again or is it only my imagination ! Any feed backs on this ? I was there while it was being serviced and I don't think chain was adjusted. It was only lubricated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks