Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 21:02   #1531
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Guys, got this self study Module for 390 over net.
Great find. Now for the shop manual.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 13th December 2013, 22:53   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
i think i cracked that. Experienced the same, that is much much reduced shain slap sound with a pillion. I guess its got to do with chain tightness. with a pillion, the chain gets slightly tightened automatically, hence no/reduced chain slap sound. Not sure, but i guess thats how it was for bulls.
Yes, its like that. The chain gets taut when the rear suspension is compressed. One of my old mechanics used to tell me to sit on the bike when he was tightening the chain. I guess thats the right process.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 13th December 2013 at 22:55.
Old 13th December 2013, 22:59   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Yes, its like that. The chain gets taut with the when the rear suspension is compressed. One of my old mechanics used to tell me to sit on the bike when he was tightening the chain. I guess thats the right process.
Old timer 200 riders will remember from my Baby Duke 222 thread that this is how I have been having my chain adjusted regardless of what they advise in the manual. If you go per the manual, when you sit on the bike the chain becomes way too tight. Something that can kill your chain and sprocket as well as add stresses to your transmission. Worse if you add a pillion or even luggage. What I've found works best for me is sit on the bike and then have a little give in the center of the chain.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 00:51   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Old timer 200 riders will remember from my Baby Duke 222 thread that this is how I have been having my chain adjusted regardless of what they advise in the manual. If you go per the manual, when you sit on the bike the chain becomes way too tight. Something that can kill your chain and sprocket as well as add stresses to your transmission. Worse if you add a pillion or even luggage. What I've found works best for me is sit on the bike and then have a little give in the center of the chain.
Doc. I sometime wonder - what if you were not a Doc but an Automobile engineer or someone similar. Man you are in a wrong profession with right passion. Respect dude
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 12:53   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Some subtle stickering done today. Not going any further than this. Looks good and can't be seen while riding (exactly what I wanted). Sometimes slightly more enthusiastic drivers spot a sticker and drive crazily to keep up / start waving etc

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131214_123006-large.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131214_123035-large.jpg
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 20:48   #1536
BHPian

I never ride my Duke without proper gears, but today I made some changes as my job demanded it. As part of my work, I have to board the pleasure boats at the Goan beaches to inspect it and this involves wading in knee high water at beach to board the speed boat or a jet ski, then on to the anchored vessel. I always had trouble folding my trousers up and so today I rode in the Goan staple attire, a Bermuda and a colorful T shirt ( Of course helmet, Glove, Shoes were a part of the attire). and this is when I started to feel the engine heat. It was warm initially and being December, even Goa is chill now ( weather wise and attitude wise), so while my upper torso had cool breeze, below knee it was getting warmer and warmer and when I reached Baga, my bare legs started to hurt. The engine heat was searing and for once I thought Bermuda is a bad idea with Duke.
Just posting the pic of the boat I inspected earlier today, to cool off your heat

Then when I started today, I had to crank some 3-4 times and this issue has cropped since last 2-3 days and also I observed that my engine is misfiring. I could hear the occasional clear splutter - a large Phat Phat. I am observing it since last 2-3 days. Initially I thought it must be some other vehicle. I fill fuel where ever available if I am out of town and guess something is wrong with my fuel filter or adulterated fuel or spark plug or coil issue. will take her to the service center in the coming week for a full diagnosis and remedy. As an afterthought I am inclined towards using premium petrol only if that helps
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dscn2265-copy.jpg  

Last edited by ashkamath : 14th December 2013 at 20:51.
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 07:51   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. I fill fuel where ever available if I am out of town and guess something is wrong with my fuel filter or adulterated fuel or spark plug or coil issue.
Ahhh. I am not alone is what i would have felt if my issue was not fixed. I just changed the fuel filter and the bike has jumped back to life and some of the symptoms you said are missing. The culprit is definitely bad fuel.

Fuel filter sits right on top the engine and its a white cylinder with three piped connecting it.

Buy the parts for 80rupees and you can change it yourself. Worst case take it to a local shop and get this changed which is a five-ten minute job as the tubes are pretty tight and awkwardly placed unlike in 200 where there is enough space to put your hands in.

Stick to premium fuel wherever you go where the number of cases having issues due to bad fuel is getting higher.

Thanks Ebonho for that list. The first change of fuel filter appears to have fixed this issue.

Secondly met Sudan who owns a KTM 390 and spotted me as vw2010 from TBHP at the service. He is still trying to get a membership here and was able to identify my bike because of the stickerless baldness. He has fixed the CBR windshield in a really new way. I wish i took some pictures. He has used a L clamp and bolted the shield using L clamp avoiding the need to use the front four screws and there by creating a really sturdy set up. Let me try to get a picture for the group to use the idea for fixing any windshield.

Last edited by VW2010 : 15th December 2013 at 07:55.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 10:28   #1538
BHPian

Took delivery of a friend's D390 yesterday. It is such a hoot to ride. It's quite composed and calm compared to D200 which creates such a ruckus. I have two questions -
1. My friend and I felt the clutch to be too heavy(tight clutch lever), it was like holding a handgrip in slow moving traffic. Will it become easier to operate over time or we get adjusted to it? :-p
2. I wanted to know approx at what speed the bike will be at 7000rpm in 6th gear? (The showroom guy told it will hit 172 at 7000rpm as it delivery peak torque around that rpm, which IMO is impossible. I couldn't control my laughter when he said so)

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 15th December 2013 at 10:41.
Old 15th December 2013, 10:31   #1539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
Took the delivery of a friend's D390 yesterday. It is such a hoot to ride. It's quite composed and calm compared to D200 which creates such a ruckus. I have two questions -
1. My friend and I felt the clutch to be too heavy(tight clutch lever), it was like holding a handgrip in slow moving traffic. Will it become easier to operate over time or we get adjusted to it? :-p
2. I wanted to know approx at what speed the bike will be at 7000rpm in 6th gear?
(The showroom guy told it hit 172 at 7000rpm as it delivery peak torque around that rpm, which IMO is impossible. I couldn't control my laughter when he said so)
Congrats.

In 6th at 7000 I would guess about 120 kmph.

The sales guys rarely know anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Ahhh. I am not alone is what i would have felt if my issue was not fixed. I just changed the fuel filter and the bike has jumped back to life and some of the symptoms you said are missing. The culprit is definitely bad fuel.

Fuel filter sits right on top the engine and its a white cylinder with three piped connecting it.

Buy the parts for 80rupees and you can change it yourself. Worst case take it to a local shop and get this changed which is a five-ten minute job as the tubes are pretty tight and awkwardly placed unlike in 200 where there is enough space to put your hands in.

Stick to premium fuel wherever you go where the number of cases having issues due to bad fuel is getting higher.

Thanks Ebonho for that list. The first change of fuel filter appears to have fixed this issue.

Secondly met Sudan who owns a KTM 390 and spotted me as vw2010 from TBHP at the service. He is still trying to get a membership here and was able to identify my bike because of the stickerless baldness. He has fixed the CBR windshield in a really new way. I wish i took some pictures. He has used a L clamp and bolted the shield using L clamp avoiding the need to use the front four screws and there by creating a really sturdy set up. Let me try to get a picture for the group to use the idea for fixing any windshield.
When I was fiddling with my windscreen, occurred to me that the Fazer windshield folks should look at using a couple of rear view mirror stalks to hold the top of the windscreen in place firmly & yet adjustably.

Basically the MRA screen does just that.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 15th December 2013 at 13:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 15th December 2013, 10:45   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
Yes, it is too heavy. But I got adjusted to it after 2 weeks and 1000kms. Well, almost. I still feel its a pain to operate in bumper to bumper traffic. And the lever is a bit out of reach on top of the heaviness.
Quote:
2. I wanted to know approx at what speed the bike will be at 7000rpm in 6th gear?
(The showroom guy told it hit 172 at 7000rpm as it delivery peak torque around that rpm, which IMO is impossible. I couldn't control my laughter when he said so)
Huh! I wonder how they are getting this job! The bike will do slightly over 130kmph in 6th @7000-7500RPM. Thats the 'Run-in' speed limit!

BTW guys, finished first first service yesterday @Mekhri Circle KTM, Bangalore. Overall good work on the service. I asked them to put the powerparts tankpad (Purely for aesthetic purpose). But the mechanic has put it in a way thats a bit 'ugly' for my liking! Also the placement from left and right side of the tank is off! Is there any way I can remove the tank pad and paste it again?

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-imag1311.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Some subtle stickering done today. Not going any further than this. Looks good and can't be seen while riding (exactly what I wanted). Sometimes slightly more enthusiastic drivers spot a sticker and drive crazily to keep up / start waving etc
Initially, I was also planning to put the t-bhp decal on the trellis. But later moved it to the side panel after the 'naming' ceremony!

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-imag1298.jpg

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 15th December 2013 at 13:46. Reason: B2B posts merged
Old 15th December 2013, 14:25   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Apply some hair blower heat to remove and adjust the tank pad. And don't worry about spoiling them these tank plastic covers are easily available in used market for less than a 1000 and one can paint it the way he wants to.

Can now thoroughly confirm the issue was fuel filter only. I am getting a spare to carry it on rides and in case things get worse I want to swap it.

After 3k I am feeling the best ergonomics from the bikes I have rode. My posture has changed drastically to more vertical and in turn even a 2-3 hr continuous ride on highway or those nagging city rides do not cause any discomfort to my shoulder and back.

Here is an observation with no scientific proof. The engine heat to me is also partially responsible by the way the engine is getting its fuel. Dirty fuel is straining the engine for I witnessed for the first time my heat bar going to danger zones while post change its at least three bar below in the same route. In case your engine is over heating do check how good the fuel supply is. As I said nothing scientific here but could be placebo from my side
Old 15th December 2013, 20:05   #1542
BHPian

Quote:
Can now thoroughly confirm the issue was fuel filter only. I am getting a spare to carry it on rides and in case things get worse I want to swap it.

After 3k I am feeling the best ergonomics from the bikes I have rode. My posture has changed drastically to more vertical and in turn even a 2-3 hr continuous ride on highway or those nagging city rides do not cause any discomfort to my shoulder and back.

Here is an observation with no scientific proof. The engine heat to me is also partially responsible by the way the engine is getting its fuel. Dirty fuel is straining the engine for I witnessed for the first time my heat bar going to danger zones while post change its at least three bar below in the same route. In case your engine is over heating do check how good the fuel supply is. As I said nothing scientific here but could be placebo from my side
I am just about getting my posture right too. earlier I had the aggressive stance where I am leaning at the front and I reported ache in the palms and shoulder in this forum. Now I am sitting much upright and slightly backwards ( with my butt pushing at the step of the seat). But due to my shorter height at 5'7", I still have a slight lean to hold the handle grips. I asked the mechanic during first service to bend the handle a little further ( I did that with all my earlier bikes), but he says it is not possible as the handle will touch the tank, if bent any further. So I have to live with it .

I second your observation about the engine heat. I have mentioned in this very thread that of late my bike is heating up much to my discomfort and it is unconventional of my bike which otherwise is a cool customer. and along with this increased bars in the coolant temp indicator, I am experiencing some sort of misfiring from the engine, a case for adulterated / dirty fuel. So I am off to the service center soon to check this out.
Old 16th December 2013, 12:02   #1543
BHPian

The Hooligan Comes Home

Well Well... having followed this thread for quite some time now, here goes the inevitable post.

The Hooligan came home on 11-12-13... yes thats the auspicious date. Now for a short recap!

A decision made -
Having been one of the first buyers of the R15 Crotch Rocket in 2008, 5 years with a bike was getting a little boring. Past the line of 30 and an aggressive stance, multiple small niggles meant I wasnt riding that much, which I was not liking either. So when I saw the Bank balance rising day day to the desired level, I was in the market for a new bike. A Rs. 57k resale price helped make the decision easier. So I went ahead and shortlisted -
1. CBR 250 ABS
2. RE TB 500
3. Duke 390
in that order and went for the dealerships!

1. Honda needs to have a strategy for selling Rs. 2 L bikes side by side to Rs. 50k bikes. The showroom treatment for the premium biker is pathetic. The bike itself looked great, but the aggressive stance along with a no Test-ride position of the dealership saw me abandoning ship.
2&3 - Liked both the bikes on test ride. Was always apprehensive of my ability to keep up to the "nakhras" of an RE. And some discussions on T-BHP made the decision clear - The hooligan it is!

Just one more decision point remained - Should I go for the much easier 200 or the 390! Compared the rides of both at the Vashi KTM showroom, made a decision to aim higher in life and booked the 390. That was about 3 weeks back. Dealer promise - Bike to be registered and delivered within one week. And luckily, I was amongst the last lot to beat the Price hike.

Bike Delivery -
Dealer promises - they always have a different meaning. So, some regular calls to the Madams and Sirs at the dealership and one more week of delay later, the day arrived! 11-12-13! Asked the showroom to have the number plates done at my cost and then dropped in the evening with my lifelong (at least thats the plan) pillion! Rest of the Delivery saga in Pictures! (pardon the quality, taken on BB, Will have better DSLR ones soon!)

Experience till now!
The first ride back from the showroom to home - Careful navigation, getting to know the bike better and getting fried!

Post that have done very short in city rides and my two cents on the experience -
Likes -
1. Stability and Handling - Man, if the R15 was a great handler, this is a new benchmark for me!
2. The sound - The grr is addictive. Putting around the city in 4th gear at around 60 kph is a new addiction for me, at least till the run in is completed. The constant grring is sweet to the ears, has a note of quality and makes me feel like I have ARRIVED
3. Linear power delivery - I own a Linea T-Jet and i feel this bike complements the Linea so well when it comes to the power delivery. All this on the lower side of 6k RPM though. Yet to unleash the beast higher!
4. Posture -After leaning on the handle bars for 5 years, its good to sit upright and breeze around!
I guess there will be more likes as time goes, but for now i have larger list of dislikes - Not to take it to heart though, cause most of these are more of getting used to -
Dislikes -
1. Heat, heat, heat - enough said!
2. Vibrations - there is mild foot peg, handlebar vibrations at around 4k RPM mark. Cause of concern? I need to visit service centre, but just riding it out now to see if they settle in.
3. Suspension - I felt the suspension is quite hard. That coupled with a light weight, makes some of the Mumbai road uneven ness closer to my home a not-so-good experience, especially for the pillion too! I have this feeling with my Linea too, so guess this is just getting used to.
4. Pillion seat - Doesnt really seat a pillion as much as keep her on tenterhooks!
5. Side Stand - For a shortie like me, its quite a hassle to get the side stand down, because of the way the foothold on the stand is behind the footpeg. Scraped my leg twice on the footpeg now. Note to self - Get used to it!
5. Snob Value - Come-on, I would definitely do with some more oohs and aahs and admiring glances at the traffic. Note to Self - Poser!

Some changes I am going to make soon -
1. Seats - The rider seat needs some cushioning. But I dont want to loose the nice surface of the existing seat. So i guess, this will mean getting some cushioning under the seat material. Any good suggestions for seat makers in Mumbai East/Central line? The pillion seat needs some broadening for my better half to get over the "on an edge" feeling!
2. Windscreen - I am torn between the KTM powerpart and the MRA ones. Spending 9k doesnt seem justifiable and given that I intend to start touring again, I definitely need something comfortable. I am strictly against Jugaad jobs (more personal) like FZ screens, etc!
3. Gear peg needs to be adjusted a little higher! Also, there are times it gets stuck at the bottom.

Now for some open roads to run her in!
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img2013121100045.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img2013121100149.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img2013121100151_1.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img2013121100153.jpg  

palitrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 13:00   #1544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apply some hair blower heat to remove and adjust the tank pad. And don't worry about spoiling them these tank plastic covers are easily available in used market for less than a 1000 and one can paint it the way he wants to.

Will try that VW2010, Thanks.

Regarding the ergos, quite surprisingly I got used to it pretty soon. Only a slight pain on the right ankle as I find the brake pedal a bit too high! Initially the gear lever was also high and I had it adjusted. I too normally sit at the far end the front seat with the pillion seat as lower back support and arms with a slight bend. For the city in stop and go traffic however, I sit leaned forward over the handlebar and not putting weight on the handlebar (Using the lower back muscles for support) with the arms further bent. I find this very useful for making tight turns in between stationary cars.
Old 16th December 2013, 16:41   #1545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I asked them to put the powerparts tankpad (Purely for aesthetic purpose). But the mechanic has put it in a way thats a bit 'ugly' for my liking! Also the placement from left and right side of the tank is off! Is there any way I can remove the tank pad and paste it again?
I peeled it off carefully & repositioned it. No big deal. No need for hot air etc.

One trick I learned a long time ago is to spray diluted soap solution (colin) and then stick - allows you to re-position it. Will dry in about 30 min. Works brilliantly for cellphone screen covers; dunno about the adhesive on these tank pads. So, YMMV.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks