Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 18:10   #1546
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I peeled it off carefully & repositioned it. No big deal. No need for hot air etc.

One trick I learned a long time ago is to spray diluted soap solution (colin) and then stick - allows you to re-position it. Will dry in about 30 min. Works brilliantly for cellphone screen covers; dunno about the adhesive on these tank pads. So, YMMV.
Will the soap solution evaporate from underneath the adhesive?
Old 16th December 2013, 21:15   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Will the soap solution evaporate from underneath the adhesive?
Certainly. Absolutely no issues with that.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 20:58   #1548
Senior - BHPian

Requesting anyone who is not using his hand/knuckle guard to pass it on to me for a reasonable price.

i gave my bike to a friend for a small test ride. As he is used to bullets, the duke handle does not turn as much as bulls, which caused him perception issues, and and the bike while taking a turn, slowly leaned and fell on the Right side. the knuckle guard cracked and broke. Please let me know if anyone is not using his knuckle guard, and is willing to sell it.
Old 17th December 2013, 21:20   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Requesting anyone who is not using his hand/knuckle guard to pass it on to me for a reasonable price.

i gave my bike to a friend for a small test ride. As he is used to bullets, the duke handle does not turn as much as bulls, which caused him perception issues, and and the bike while taking a turn, slowly leaned and fell on the Right side. the knuckle guard cracked and broke. Please let me know if anyone is not using his knuckle guard, and is willing to sell it.
Nasirkaka, I think the knuckle guard spares are available with the KTM service guys. I have seen a few 390 on the roads without the knuckle guards and have personally seen new buyers getting the knuckle guard removed at the time of delivery and if some one doesn't carry the guard home, you may get a chance to get a pair at the service center itself. And as your bike is brand new, you can tell them about the incident and if they happen to have a spare, they could fit it on your bike. It is a possibility. Just speak with the service center guys.
Old 17th December 2013, 21:33   #1550
Senior - BHPian

These knuckle guards on any bike are prone to damage because that is their very function - to get damaged and protect the hands from getting damaged. I would be very surprised if Bajaj is not carrying these as spares.
Old 17th December 2013, 22:05   #1551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
These knuckle guards on any bike are prone to damage because that is their very function - to get damaged and protect the hands from getting damaged. I would be very surprised if Bajaj is not carrying these as spares.
Doc, the spares are available of course, but it costs a whopping 6-6.5K a pair. what I was suggesting Nasirkaka is that I have seen guys getting these removed at the time of delivery and if some one has left a pair back, the service center guy might as well fit it to Nasirkaka's bike for free or a reasonable price ( that is if they don't sell it as original spare to some buyer).

My bike did not come with the knuckle guards and I had failed to notice it at the time of delivery. I bought it to their notice and later got it fitted during my first service.
Old 17th December 2013, 22:14   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nasirkaka, I think the knuckle guard spares are available with the KTM service guys. I have seen a few 390 on the roads without the knuckle guards and have personally seen new buyers getting the knuckle guard removed at the time of delivery and if some one doesn't carry the guard home, you may get a chance to get a pair at the service center itself. And as your bike is brand new, you can tell them about the incident and if they happen to have a spare, they could fit it on your bike. It is a possibility. Just speak with the service center guys.
Sure, will check at the service spares dept and hope they have stock. posted here just in-case someone is removed it and carried home, and does not intend to use it.

Quote:
Untill about 2 weeks back, they did not have the knuckle guard spares. (i mean the ones that come with 390, and not that expensive powerpart one). Spoke to one guy at JC road who was getting an aftermarket knuckle guard fitted for his brand new D200. those after market knuckle guard were only connected on one side, thats the bar end side. the other side was not connected to handle bar. But it was orange in colour and had inbuilt LED strip which could be connected and used as indicators. That guy did not connect, as was worried about voiding warranty by fiddling with electricals.

The bike feels planted and stable at high speeds. At the elevated electronic city expressway toll, once guy asked for lift. i obliged. by the time we reached silk board, he was shaken. I am sure hes never gonna ask for a lift from anything that resembles duke.

Mod note: Post edited. No mentions of speeding please.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th December 2013 at 01:11.
Old 17th December 2013, 23:38   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
The bike feels planted and stable at high speeds. At the elevated electronic city expressway toll, once guy asked for lift. i obliged. by the time we reached silk board, he was shaken. I am sure hes never gonna ask for a lift from anything that resembles duke.
High speeds with a pillion? I am shaken OMG. How did your windshield behave? how was the wind force? what is your report on your WS and bike behaviour at that speed?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th December 2013 at 01:14.
Old 18th December 2013, 10:36   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Doc, the spares are available of course, but it costs a whopping 6-6.5K a pair. what I was suggesting Nasirkaka is that I have seen guys getting these removed at the time of delivery and if some one has left a pair back, the service center guy might as well fit it to Nasirkaka's bike for free or a reasonable price ( that is if they don't sell it as original spare to some buyer).

My bike did not come with the knuckle guards and I had failed to notice it at the time of delivery. I bought it to their notice and later got it fitted during my first service.
I think the whopping 6-6.5K a pair is for the Orange ones as part of the official KTM Power Parts. Those are imported and the quality and finish of those is way better than the white ones that are fitted on the 390s which are of local origin. Please confirm. I would be very surprised if they cost more than 500-1000 bucks for a pair.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:08   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
Doc, the spares are available of course, but it costs a whopping 6-6.5K a pair.
the ones that you are mentioning are the orange ones that come as powerpart. The 390 ones cost 600 bucks for a pair and can be easily procured from the SVC. I think the Indiranagar SVC at Bangalore has them in stock.
Jaycee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 11:34   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
the ones that you are mentioning are the orange ones that come as powerpart. The 390 ones cost 600 bucks for a pair and can be easily procured from the SVC. I think the Indiranagar SVC at Bangalore has them in stock.
Is it possible to mount them on to the Duke 200's or does one need to change the handle to that of a 390 for that (as the 390 handle has the threading at the edd for the bar end weights)? I know Bullet guys regularly convert standard non bar end weight handles to bar end weight handles wby welding a round threaded bush on the insides, but those are steel handles. The Duke's handles are aluminium as far as I know, hence not sure if the same is possible.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:41   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Under 4-5K RPM in first 3 gears ,there are noticeably high vibrations on foot pegs and left side below the seat . Is it a know issue or others also noticed it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Its normal and at 4th or 5th gear you are already over 50kmph where wind speed and bike control takes precedence for you to feel the vibration.

Dont worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsub View Post
Its the same way on my bike as well. Left foot peg is very jittery in low rpms.
I searched this thread and found others with the same vibration issues as mine... footpeg, handle bar, etc.

A lot of my ride is in traffic and lower gears. I wanted to understand whether this is a running in issue which solves itself/reduces after servicing or is it characteristic of the bike over long term? It is difficult to live with such vibrations day in and day out.

My previous R15 has similar issues during run in but got all sorted out after first service.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:42   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure, will check at the service spares dept and hope they have stock. posted here just in-case someone is removed it and carried home, and does not intend to use it....
Nasirkaka, Do put down your opinion about the Fazer windscreen.

Quote:

How did your windshield behave? how was the wind force? what is your report on your WS and bike behaviour at that speed?
My 2 cents. I am also having the Fazer windscreen installed And I am having a mixed reaction to it. It sure is an easy and cost effective mod job. The screen manages to keep the torso beautifully away from wind blast. But the problem is from the neck up area. I guess, due to the more vertical nature of the screen fitment and the sheer length of the screen, it induces turbulent air to the top part of the helmet. And I feel it a bit uncomfortable some times. Also, to amplify the feel, my lid is a SOL S68-II Dragon, which I bought because of its ventilation properties and was perfect for the cruising speed of my Ex-Royal Enfield. The SOL in theory has 19 air vents with 5 huge vents opening to the front! The turbulent air hitting these air vents are not quite a pleasant experience. Even closing the vents results in a fair amount of wind noise. I am yet to try with another helmet at higher speeds. May be the experience may differ. But still I guess turbulence will not be desirable for any kind of helmets.

I was initially planning to add a stay for the Fazer screen. Not I am considering the option to remove it and install the stock screen! And I am unsure about spending 9k for the MRA!
Old 18th December 2013, 11:44   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

High speeds with a pillion? I am shaken OMG. How did your windshield behave? how was the wind force? what is your report on your WS and bike behaviour at that speed?
The elevated expressway is pretty smooth, and although Bangalore is been a bit windy these days, at that time it was calm. did not really pay attention to the windscreen, but nothing jumped out as unusual there.

Quote:
Will check with them today and buy two pairs if they have it in stock. One for the bull

Quote:
I was initially planning to add a stay for the Fazer screen. Not I am considering the option to remove it and install the stock screen! And I am unsure about spending 9k for the MRA!
i guess a lot of engineering would be going into a proper windshield design. The angle, the curve, the length, the top part etc. Am sure they would be also put to wind tunnel to study the aerodynamics. the fazer one is jugaad, and its difficult to precisely conclude its behaviour at various speeds, as different people have mounted it differently, and are giving mixed feedback. Also, on one of the forums, i read some one has installed the expensive MRA, and was not too happy with result at high speeds. He mentioned the MRA gives scope to play around with angle, etc, and would be exploring that aspect.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 18th December 2013 at 11:55.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 11:46   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Is it possible to mount them on to the Duke 200's or does one need to change the handle to that of a 390 for that (as the 390 handle has the threading at the edd for the bar end weights)?
There are two approaches of addressing this.

A: One can change the handle bars of the 200 with the 390s. Damages: 350 bucks (approx.) for the handle with bar end weights.

B: Another very ingenious way is to get the fazer bar end weights (I think they cost 50-60 bucks). They fit into the 200 handle bars out of box. Just make a hole in the existing grip. Insert the bar ends and tighten. the knuckle guards can be added in between the grip and the bar ends. I met some one at the SVC who had got that one done. Should be a DIY IMO.

Last edited by Jaycee : 18th December 2013 at 11:47.

Most Viewed