Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2013, 08:04   #1681
Senior - BHPian

The 690 is something I am looking forward as well. This I believe will not be through Bajaj but more of CKD and will cost in the high 7l I guess.

But 690 is the best KTM keeping so many happy. Till then 390 is my only rider. By classic is going to feel so bad for the 390 and even worse if I get the 690.

The temp gauge hit the max yesterday and I notice it happens when you ride hard and you hit a slow traffic. Inside city rising hard is not going to help the temperature of the coolant.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:27   #1682
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The 690 is something I am looking forward as well. This I believe will not be through Bajaj but more of CKD and will cost in the high 7l I guess.
I really hope and pray that's not true man. If so, I will at least then shift loyalties to its stablemate - the Ninja 650.

The 690 would make sense only if it is cheaper than the 650. Significantly at that.

Crazy accelerating wheelie popping hooligan is good, but not so good that I am going to shell out 2 lacs extra for that.

Money I could buy an equally hooliganish 390 with. And still have a 650 that can do a true 210 kmph, and with wind protection too (both of which the 690 would come up second best on).

Last edited by ebonho : 27th December 2013 at 11:30.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:54   #1683
Senior - BHPian

Doc,

Trust me. I am on the same boat. Sub 5 Lacks is what will make me go for the 690. Else i am saving for the 1L or the HD 750 which i think is going to be a market killer with Indian made parts and easy availabilty. A first of a kind bike where you can buy knowing you can get parts and the ability of local manufacturers to quickly reproduce at lower cost.

I wont go the Ninja way but will definitely save for a 1L. Either the R1 or the FZ1 or the triple. A distant dream is to own a FZ1 or the triple. Nothing beats the Nakedness of a 1L bike
Old 27th December 2013, 12:38   #1684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc,

Trust me. I am on the same boat. Sub 5 Lacks is what will make me go for the 690. Else i am saving for the 1L or the HD 750 which i think is going to be a market killer with Indian made parts and easy availabilty. A first of a kind bike where you can buy knowing you can get parts and the ability of local manufacturers to quickly reproduce at lower cost.

I wont go the Ninja way but will definitely save for a 1L. Either the R1 or the FZ1 or the triple. A distant dream is to own a FZ1 or the triple. Nothing beats the Nakedness of a 1L bike
What's a 1L - liter class bike?

Having ridden the 390 for 3+ months I know that it is more bike than I had skills to max out everywhere, everytime, within that short time frame. No ego in admitting that.

So the 650/690 for me would be pretty much what I would like to spend on a bike as a machine meant to be used, and used hard and well, not simply an object of desire, or satiation of straight line thrills.

But yes I agree on your mental barrier of 5 lacs, though quite frankly, mine is a tad lower at 3 lacs or thereabouts, and anything over that has to fight a common sense versus heart tug of war.
Old 27th December 2013, 14:01   #1685
Senior - BHPian

I got an opportunity to ride my cousin's KTM Duke 390 and it goes like stink. Coming from riding Bullets predominantly say the G2 series, B1 series and the later ones (except UCE's) the Duke 390 comes as a rude shock to a Bullet rider. I had read about the Duke 390 on this forum as well as elsewhere but experiencing in person is what makes the cut for me.

I asked my cousin for a ride and he agreed without warning me about the now infamous rapid and ruthless acceleration. I was left spellbound and numb by the Duke's acceleration, it literally flies. I thought a distant speedbreaker come to me instead of me going towards it, it's that fast believe you me. Ok it might be a slight exaggeration as I come from Bullets which I am used to riding sedately with its lazing rpm and oodles of torque. I haven't ridden other high performance bikes leave for once a Yamaha RD350 but that was a short ride, nevertheless the Duke 390 is maddening, crazy, wild ... running short of such words. In all a marvel of an engineering piece it is right from the trellis frame, chassis, suspension, brakes(Oh My God I was literally going to land on the tank after I slammed the brakes they are awesome), tyres(metzeler lives upto its name), handling is out of this world as the bike feels like riveted to the road. Like others on this forum say "Duke em Nuke em".
Old 27th December 2013, 14:37   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What's a 1L - liter class bike?

Having ridden the 390 for 3+ months I know that it is more bike than I had skills to max out everywhere, everytime, within that short time frame. No ego in admitting that.

So the 650/690 for me would be pretty much what I would like to spend on a bike as a machine meant to be used, and used hard and well, not simply an object of desire, or satiation of straight line thrills.

But yes I agree on your mental barrier of 5 lacs, though quite frankly, mine is a tad lower at 3 lacs or thereabouts, and anything over that has to fight a common sense versus heart tug of war.
There are riders and then there are riders. The hunger for power and speed never diminishes, it is only Human. Ki yeh Dil Maange More. I agree 390 is a great enough bike to many of us. It was sheer exhilaration when our earlier Pulsars / Zmas did touch 3 digit speeds and 130-140ish speed were just a speed of desire. Today 140 comes and goes by easily before one blinks thanks to the CBRs, Ninja's and the dukes. But again Human nature. One tires of this very fast and it is only gratification not satisfaction ( that happens to very few contented biker) and the need for speed just keeps increasing. Just look around us. Many of us started off humbly with our 100cc bikes, hungry for more and as and when faster / better bikes came along we lapped them. It happened with the passage through the Pulsars, Zmas, R15, CBRs and Dukes.
And I believe it is not going to end at 390. I am looking forward to 690 as I have a feeling that I may sooner or later will tire off my 390 ( some guys are already doing performance mods as we see in this thread) and if money permits, I will go ahead with a liter bike. This transition is no chest beating or as a poser or anything. I am not a hard rider to extract the max out of a bike or ride a bike as it is meant to be ridden. To me it is the sheer joy of riding, the thrill of speed that counts.( how ever momentary or short distance it may be).
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 01:53   #1687
BHPian

A question for the Dukes of TBHP
I am hearing a lot of squeaking sound from the front, loud ones on very low speeds, when I am almost about to stop. Long squeaks...

Showed this to service center in 1st servicing, it was resolved for a few days... not its back. What should i get checked?
Old 29th December 2013, 02:34   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
I am hearing a lot of squeaking sound from the front, loud ones on very low speeds, when I am almost about to stop. Long squeaks...

Showed this to service center in 1st servicing, it was resolved for a few days... not its back. What should i get checked?
Bazinga, it could be brake pads grazing the disc due to slight misalignment. Ask a friend to hold the bike and you could lift the front tyre and rotate it. See if it turns freely or if something rubs / holds the free turn.

I have heard squeaks when I ride my bike after getting washed and also during monsoon. but your case does not appear to be due to that.

The point is see if something stationery part is rubbing against a turning part in the front section of your bike. I guess that is pretty obvious. Just my thoughts though
Old 29th December 2013, 09:10   #1689
BHPian

Hi guys,
I'll be getting my duke on the 1st of January. First thing I want to do is change the horn, cause it's pretty useless. Nothing too loud. Something like the one on the V2 R15 will be good enough.
I also want to change the bulb to something brighter and having a whitish colour. Which bulb and horn do you guys recommend? And it wont void the warranty, right?
Old 29th December 2013, 09:41   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post

This is quite common on the 390. As long as the wheel is rolling free you should be good. It has something to do with the brand of brake pads used, the material probably isn't the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Hi guys,
I'll be getting my duke on the 1st of January. First thing I want to do is change the horn, cause it's pretty useless. Nothing too loud. Something like the one on the V2 R15 will be good enough.
I also want to change the bulb to something brighter and having a whitish colour. Which bulb and horn do you guys recommend? And it wont void the warranty, right?
The horn on the test ride bike was much meekier than the bike delivered to me. I believe it is sufficient one. Initially I felt the same as you, but it grew on me. I suggest you give it 2 weeks of use before making up your mind.
Old 29th December 2013, 19:14   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Using the premium fuel from shell for last three fills. Either the change in fuel filter or fuel itself has changed fuel efficiency characteristics. I used to hit 200-210 before the low fuel hits. Last three fills I hit low rule by 185-190kms.

The fuel delivery feels smoother and hitting speed limiter is so smooth is what I feel.
Old 29th December 2013, 19:42   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Using the premium fuel from shell for last three fills. Either the change in fuel filter or fuel itself has changed fuel efficiency characteristics. I used to hit 200-210 before the low fuel hits. Last three fills I hit low rule by 185-190kms.

The fuel delivery feels smoother and hitting speed limiter is so smooth is what I feel.
+1 there. Me too changed the fuel filter and started using only Premium since last 3-4 refills. The engine breathes easy, and power delivery feels smoother. Overall bike feels and rides better. FE not checked. Me being a very sedate rider my mileage should be tad better than yours.

For no proper reason, I always fill the petrol at Bharat Petroleum pumps. I always search for BP while riding when need to refill arises and would pass Indian OIl or HP bunks and unless there is absolutely no option, I always fill her at BP. I feel a bit uncomfortable with other bunks and just fill her as only is necessary to tide away the situation. This is happening since many years. I guess this is what brand loyalty is about. You guys have similar loyalty or what?

During my fuel filter change the mechanic had accidentally dropped a couple of allen bolts (on fuel lid) into the front while putting the tank back. The supervisor assured me that nothing is wrong and the small allen bolts will fall off. Now I am getting the sound in the fan. The clear sound of the bolts rattling around somewhere in that area every time I accelerate or go on a hump. A Bit concerned now. Taking her to mechanic soon to get those tiny allen bolts recovered from radiator area

Last edited by ashkamath : 29th December 2013 at 19:47.
Old 29th December 2013, 20:51   #1693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post

During my fuel filter change the mechanic had accidentally dropped a couple of allen bolts (on fuel lid) into the front while putting the tank back. The supervisor assured me that nothing is wrong and the small allen bolts will fall off. Now I am getting the sound in the fan. The clear sound of the bolts rattling around somewhere in that area every time I accelerate or go on a hump. A Bit concerned now. Taking her to mechanic soon to get those tiny allen bolts recovered from radiator area
@ashok check in the engine shroud in the bottom. More likely that the bolt is there rather than the radiator housing
Old 30th December 2013, 00:39   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
@ashok check in the engine shroud in the bottom. More likely that the bolt is there rather than the radiator housing
Thanks Sridhu. Will check the engine shroud and hope the problem is resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
When I was fiddling with my windscreen, occurred to me that the Fazer windshield folks should look at using a couple of rear view mirror stalks to hold the top of the windscreen in place firmly & yet adjustably.

Basically the MRA screen does just that.
That is exactly my thoughts too Sridhu. If you could remember I had been enquiring in this thread about the best RVM with longest stalks for some time. I have the Fazer WS already. Was thinking of using the Avenger RVM stalks and fit it to a universal suction cup ( a flexible suction cup to adjust the WS). The suction cups though are expensive, costing upwards of Rs. 500/- per unit to a few thousands per unit depending on size. They are not available in Goa, but available in Bangalore. So keeping this work pending till I ride to Bangalore next.

The idea of using the suction cup is to eliminate any more bolts to the WS and also to facilitate flexibility.

Quote:

Secondly met Sudan who owns a KTM 390 and spotted me as vw2010 from TBHP at the service. He is still trying to get a membership here and was able to identify my bike because of the stickerless baldness. He has fixed the CBR windshield in a really new way. I wish i took some pictures. He has used a L clamp and bolted the shield using L clamp avoiding the need to use the front four screws and there by creating a really sturdy set up. Let me try to get a picture for the group to use the idea for fixing any windshield.
This is interesting stuff VW. The CBR WS looks cool too ( on a CBR of course). If you have exchanged contact details with Sudan, could you please call him and get a pic or two of his Duke? else could you explain how it was clamped?

I know there is enough creative juices flowing around in this forum to find a rather inexpensive but efficient way to counter the wind blast on 390s. So more ideas and implementations are bound to come along. and I am torn between the MRA and Jugaad fixtures ( 9K - 0.5~1K)

Last edited by ashkamath : 30th December 2013 at 00:42.
Old 30th December 2013, 05:22   #1695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I know there is enough creative juices flowing around in this forum to find a rather inexpensive but efficient way to counter the wind blast on 390s. So more ideas and implementations are bound to come along. and I am torn between the MRA and Jugaad fixtures ( 9K - 0.5~1K)
Personally, I think the MRAs are effective & worth it only if you are a hardcore naked biker. Or if the hassle of Jugaad is not worth it to you. Check the discussion on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3314561

Last edited by sridhu : 30th December 2013 at 05:29.

Most Viewed