Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2014, 09:21   #1726
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Exactly the same happened with me today. My bike has clocked 6400 kms and for the first time the bike stalled when I downshifted at a speed breaker. I lost my company as I was riding last in the row. (Rode to Thenmala with fellow xbhpians ) I did a fresh ignition cycle and the bike started normally without any hassles. The issue haven't recurred for the whole trip.
Fingers crossed.
it's sometimes normal that the engine might shut while downshifting if you run the clutch in the wrong way where the revs will die out and eventually engine shutdown. The problem I faced was it loosing breath and shutting down as I was giving it gas
Old 6th January 2014, 10:55   #1727
BHPian

The stalling of the bike happened to me on at least 5 or 6 instances. Every time it happens for no apparent reason while the bike is moving at normal speed.The engine dies as if there is no fuel supply. Suddenly I panic thinking there is something wrong with idling adjustment then again I remind myself that there is no such adjustment on this bike.
On first restart the bike starts but dies again. On second restart, it starts normally as if nothing is wrong. There after it drives correctly.
It happened at different times of the day and I was planning to get it checked when I get free time to go to Service center.
Old 6th January 2014, 11:15   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Noticed a small issue with the side stand placement the hard way yesterday. I have noticed before that the stand base is close to the bike that the bike stands almost upright. But yesterday, I was parking the bike on the road side and the place where the stand was to be set the ground was at a bit of a lower position than the level of the wheels. I put down the bike and the bike just toppled over to the left. It took me by surprise and I also lost balance and fell down. Thankfully the rider footpeg narrowly missed my left leg which was fractured some months ago in an accident. The bike fell on the knuckle guard and rear footpeg. No damages to self and the bike except some paint chipping on the knuckle guard.

Other bikes a were parked on the side stand comfortably right next to the place the Duke and me fell over. They were also having the side stand in that depression on the road side.

Is there any way to kick out the stand base further away from the body when down?
Old 6th January 2014, 11:16   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Faced the first real problem with the bike after 5K kms and 3 Months. It happenned as I shifted down one and gave throttle, it just died on me as if there was no petrol, it stuttered and turned off and the engine light lit up. Thankfully I hit the clutch a the right time and pulled to the side. Switched off and back on, and everything was fine.
Do you think the fuel filter could be the culprit ?

I am asking this from my experience with RD 350 and RX 100. Originally the bikes were supplied without any fuel filters in 1985/86. Then when there were complaints with carburettor cloging etc due to poor fuel quality, some of us experimented with on line fuel filters - the same kind that is there in the KTM 390 (as seen in pictures of some ownership threads in TBHP).

The filter kind of restricts the flow and the Injector can become starved of fuel, causing a shut down specially when doing spirited runs. By the time you pull over and recycle the ignition etc the filter/injector is again full and the engine fires up.

If the problem persisits, try running it without the filter

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 11:58   #1730
Senior - BHPian

This Sunday took a good ride in the chennai bypass twice. Once without the visor and once with the visor and the one used was CBR visor.

Without the Visor:-

The air resistance is very high and maintaining 100 in cross winds was pretty difficult. Tuck in your head and one can do 130 easilly. But thats for those fun ones who prefer getting into that shape and riding for long rides. For those who want a standard posture and riding 120 for long time you are fighting against the wind resistance.

The bike reaches good speeds provided good roads but the scary part was it created a wobble which i am sure is due to the way wind is moving over the bike at those speeds with body tucked in. There is no way one can do 165 on this bike on cross winds without tucking in. May be 140

With the visor:-

With the visor the bike does solid 100-110 without any issues and with no discomfort. Its easy to maintain these speeds for a really long distance. 60 minutes of clean road means you already covered 100 kms of your trip. The speed is safe and you have plenty of time to react. The visor clearly deflects wind out of your body and near your helmet. The ride gets noisier but far more smoother and safer.

Pushing the bike 125-130 is still far smoother compared to without the visor. Top speed can be achieved by tucking in. But with the visor there was no wobble. The front wheel was planted and you were more confident of getting to the top speed.

I dont have a wind tunnel to prove one of the method is safer, but from personal experience i feel the visor is a must and it only helps ride safer as well. Others with similar or different experience please do share.

One more thing, the FE seems to take a hit without the visor. This i measured as i hit reserve both the time before starting the ride.

With or without visor, those winding turns or long C's are such a pleasure to ride. Stick your leg out and move your head near the handle bar and you are "Aaaramse" crusing at triple digit speeds around the corner. Do this in roads you have complete knowledge and comlete visibility for over 100ms ahead. Else do not try this. The chennai bypass has three lanes and its easier to manage these speeds during mid day.

Note from Support - High speed figures edited out. Please avoid posting high speed figures unless it was on a attained on a closed road or a race track.

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th January 2014 at 13:59.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 12:09   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

The filter kind of restricts the flow and the Injector can become starved of fuel, causing a shut down specially when doing spirited runs. By the time you pull over and recycle the ignition etc the filter/injector is again full and the engine fires up.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
I am not sure Ram sir. I did change the fuel filter recently as my bike was choking /misfiring a bit and then all was well. I even shifted to premium petrol and the engine was breathing / revving free and then suddenly at a decent speed (between 30-40) with throttle ON, the engine simply died down.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:10   #1732
BHPian

Quote:

I am asking this from my experience with RD 350 and RX 100. Originally the bikes were supplied without any fuel filters in 1985/86. Then when there were complaints with carburettor cloging etc due to poor fuel quality, some of us experimented with on line fuel filters - the same kind that is there in the KTM 390 (as seen in pictures of some ownership threads in TBHP).

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Root cause to be determined during service using error codes. Since it is still under warranty, I wouldn't want to try experiment with components.
Old 6th January 2014, 13:51   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Excellent point Ram. I honestly never thought of this. Maybe the fuel filter simply is not filling and getting primed quickly enough in certain conditions - mainly hard throttle high revs to low throttle low revs. Fuel starvation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I am not sure Ram sir. I did change the fuel filter recently as my bike was choking /misfiring a bit and then all was well. I even shifted to premium petrol and the engine was breathing / revving free and then suddenly at a decent speed (between 30-40) with throttle ON, the engine simply died down.
Ashok, that's because Ram is alluding to a design fault of the in-line fuel filter. So dirty or clean does not matter, its the filter which could be the culprit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Root cause to be determined during service using error codes. Since it is still under warranty, I wouldn't want to try experiment with components.
The error codes will not show up in this case, as its transient and not possible to replicate in the workshop.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th January 2014 at 13:56.
Old 6th January 2014, 14:00   #1734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Exactly the same happened with me today. My bike has clocked 6400 kms and for the first time the bike stalled when I downshifted at a speed breaker. I lost my company as I was riding last in the row. (Rode to Thenmala with fellow xbhpians ) I did a fresh ignition cycle and the bike started normally without any hassles. The issue haven't recurred for the whole trip.
Fingers crossed.
Junaid, you post above reminded me of an exactly similar incident 29 years ago in the same road, when I was on my RD 350. Hope you have seen my earlier post about the fuel filter - that was the problem then. I just pulled out the filters and connected the pipes directly to the fuel strainer/cock, everything was hunky dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Excellent point Ram. I honestly never thought of this. Maybe the fuel filter simply is not filling and getting primed quickly enough in certain conditions - mainly hard throttle high revs to low throttle low revs. Fuel starvation!

Ashok, that's because Ram is aluding to a design fault of the in-line fuel filter. So dirty or clean does not matter, its the filter which could be the culprit here.
Doc, since I've been there before, it stuck me as the first possibility, that is all.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 6th January 2014, 15:11   #1735
BHPian

Visited KTM Mekhri today to get my registration number. Softer seats are now available as a powerpart. They look really cool, but cost a whopping 10k!

Name:  ForumRunner_20140106_150119.png
Views: 7862
Size:  647.1 KB

Other new powerparts include aluminium foot pegs and a storage box.(sorry, don't know the exact term :P)

Name:  ForumRunner_20140106_150711.png
Views: 3071
Size:  643.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140106_150856.png
Views: 2470
Size:  599.2 KB
Suraj25 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 21:08   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am asking this from my experience with RD 350 and RX 100.
Oh yes! Even aftermarket fuel taps were a problem on the RD.

What are the chances the Duke will hole its piston?

What report about the Dukes abroad. They are more likely to run full blast for longer than we are. IIRC, the detuning of the 200 was based on feedback from abroad.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th January 2014, 11:41   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This Sunday took a good ride in the chennai bypass twice. Once without the visor and once with the visor and the one used was CBR visor.
Hey,

Thanks for the report. Could you please share a pic of your bike with the visor installed? How easy is it to fit it in?

Thanks.
Old 8th January 2014, 20:18   #1738
Senior - BHPian

I am finding the low beam of the 390 to be insufficient for my use. Although the high beam is okay, I would like to upgrade it. Can anyone suggest a better non blueish bulb as replacement for the stock? I have heard about a HL bulb from Philips which is not blueish, but could'nt remember the name. Also, has anyone tried upgrading to any HIDs (between 3000K-5000K color temp)? Will it affect the warranty?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 8th January 2014 at 20:34.
Old 8th January 2014, 20:44   #1739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I am finding the low beam of the 390 to be insufficient for my use. Although the high beam is okay, I would like to upgrade it. Can anyone suggest a better non blueish bulb as replacement for the stock? I have heard about a HL bulb from Philips which is not blueish, but could'nt remember the name. Also, has anyone tried upgrading to any HIDs (between 3000K-5000K color temp)? Will it affect the warranty?
Yes HIDs will affect warranty. The famous bulbs being used are Philips X-treme vision and Osram Nightbreaker Plus, both 60/55W.

I have procured the Osram bulb and will be trying it on soon.
Old 8th January 2014, 20:53   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Yes HIDs will affect warranty. The famous bulbs being used are Philips X-treme vision and Osram Nightbreaker Plus, both 60/55W.

I have procured the Osram bulb and will be trying it on soon.
Thanks Added_flavor. Is'nt Nightbreaker is a bit on the blueish side? Can you please let me know from where you have procured it in Bangalore. And also the cost.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks