Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2014, 13:08   #2026
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

@Pretorian.

The bike cut off is actually very isolated. I had instances where it was user error than bike issues. From some of the symptoms to me it appears as a case of sudden loss of fuel supply but in a really isolated situations.

The bike airborne issue to me is typically user error where at airborne there is enough chance for your leg to hit the stands. I had an instance of bad road and my foot disengaged the stands for engine to cut off.
Old 20th February 2014, 14:33   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Pretorian.

The bike cut off is actually very isolated. I had instances where it was user error than bike issues. From some of the symptoms to me it appears as a case of sudden loss of fuel supply but in a really isolated situations.

The bike airborne issue to me is typically user error where at airborne there is enough chance for your leg to hit the stands. I had an instance of bad road and my foot disengaged the stands for engine to cut off.
I don't think it is user error, it is a design flaw. No matter how much we sugar coat this issue, fact is that it has potential to kill some one. That is why many of the riders are concerned.

BTW I am a happy owner of D390 and enjoying every moment. But this issue is too big to just sweep it under the carpet in my opinion.
Old 20th February 2014, 15:17   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Design flaw? How did you arrive at that? Though its exactly the same why i arrived at user error, but the number of instance and number of people reporting is not really a sample size. Secondly what have these owners done to prove its a flaw in design.

If its a design flaw, wouldnt it be bothering 95% of the bike and not the 2-3% of the bike from the number of people complaining here. I am just taking a % based on the number of owners and number of complaints here.

I do not think its a design flaw. A design flaw means every bike from production will have this issues. Call it a unlucky lime, may be i will agree. Its not design flaw.
Old 20th February 2014, 16:20   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Guys, what is your idling RPM on the D390s? Mine is 1500 rpm. Is that normal? Seems to high. Also noticed some oil sweating at 2-3 places. Some irritants.
Gentlemen, any thoughts on the queries above?

PS: I have also faced the issue of the bike shutting off abruptly. Exactly thrice. And every time it has been exactly when I am slowing down at a red light and shift down to 2nd from the higher cogs.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 20th February 2014 at 16:23.
Old 20th February 2014, 16:30   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Design flaw? How did you arrive at that? Though its exactly the same why i arrived at user error, but the number of instance and number of people reporting is not really a sample size. Secondly what have these owners done to prove its a flaw in design.

If its a design flaw, wouldnt it be bothering 95% of the bike and not the 2-3% of the bike from the number of people complaining here. I am just taking a % based on the number of owners and number of complaints here.

I do not think its a design flaw. A design flaw means every bike from production will have this issues. Call it a unlucky lime, may be i will agree. Its not design flaw.
I am not out to prove anything. I am merely posting my experience and my own opinion.

Both the times my engine cut off I was travelling at triple digit speeds and it really scared the crap out of me. I could have been rear ended by someone if not for my good luck.

User error or Design flaw i don't care, i just hope it doesn't happen again or KTM comes up with a solution. Otherwise I might have to think of selling my bike if this continues.
Old 20th February 2014, 17:29   #2031
BHPian

Few points from my ownership experience.
1. Got the bike on 1st November
2. Waited for 15 days for special number. during this time just took out the bike for short spins near the home
3. Just after I got the registration number and i was enjoying the bike when had to go on emergency travel out of country for couple of weeks. No first service done till this point
4. After returning back the bike was still at 600/650 kms and 45 days had almost past post purchase. So the day I wanted to give the bike to service took it for a ride to Lavasa to put up around 100-150 kms more
5. 25th Dec - Lavasa ride all alone. Fantastic experience. First time I realised to the full what a difference between the RE Thunderbird and Duke 390. Superb acceleration, fantastic in the corners. Very strong engine braking. This is the only long ride I have done so far.
6. First service done on 25th Dec with bike at around 850 kms. only had one problem till this time. small oil drop collecting on the left side crankcase cover. SA said just need to tighten the screws and this should be gone. problem was fixed after the service. Has not resurfaced again
7. Did a top whack of 154 kph once and the bike didn't feel like strugling atall(considering this is almost 90% of its top speed of 170 kph)
8. Heat issue - what heat issue. nothing to comment about this. Just felt it few occasions but never a botheration
9. Current issue - lately getting some odd cyclic vibration noise from somewhere for first couple of km of riding the bike after cold start. Need to figure this out. Post that noise vanishes
10. done 1750 kms so far in 4 months
11. Average of around 27 to 33 kmpl as indicated on console
12. No mods to the bike yet. not removed anything. Just got a KTM Orange bike cover thats it
13. Conclusion - best 200,000 INR ever spent on anything

Quote:

PS: I have also faced the issue of the bike shutting off abruptly. Exactly thrice. And every time it has been exactly when I am slowing down at a red light and shift down to 2nd from the higher cogs.
Idling RPM at 1250-1500 sounds correct. I get the same.

On bike shutting down. I have not faced this as such yet in last 1750 kms / 4 months ownership. Only once while I was slowing down for the red light the bike shut off. When i switched off and switched on the low fule warning came on. So i thought this is probably a indicator of low fuel kind of what we get in most of the bikes with manual reserve indicator. But that was the only one of incidence. have not experienced it again.
the VTEC guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 17:52   #2032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, what is your idling RPM on the D390s? Mine is 1500 rpm. Is that normal? Seems to high. Also noticed some oil sweating at 2-3 places. Some irritants. Also was called regarding some mudguard replacement from the company. Anyone know anything about this.
Idle @ 1500 seems to be fine. Mine hovers around the 1.5k mark.

And regarding the sweating, this might be the Royal Enfield guy in me speaking, its not much to be worried about as long as the oil level stays as it is. I was also having sweating from the left side inlet cam shaft cover. Got the allen-key bolt tightened and it is fine now.

Quote:
Just got a call from Marathahalli KTM, Bangalore notifying me about a customer meet happening at Regaalis Hotel, Lavelle Road at 7:30 PM. Anybody from BLR got a call regarding this and planning to attend?
Went for a customer interaction program with KTM India Sales Head and another executive from KTM.

Me and other 7-8 390 owners present there has raised our concerns regarding the alloy cracking and the abrupt shutting down of the bikes, which they have noted down. Fingers crossed on that.

The other agenda of the meet was to understand what the 390 owners felt was lacking in the current 390. Points like a longer pillion seat and hooks to clip bungee cords were raised by most of the owners.

The best part was that they wanted to know what kind of bike we were looking forward to. I am extremely pleased to say that more than 95%(including me!) of the owners suggested a Dual Sport/Enduro or in other words a smaller sibling of the 1190 Adventure.

It was a market research and seeing our outright interest in the dual sports we were asked if we will be comfortable going to office or a shopping mall on a bike looking that rugged. To which all nodded with a stupid grin!

KTM seemed to be pretty serious with this interaction program and hope they seriously consider our feedbacks and expectations.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 20th February 2014 at 17:54.
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 18:37   #2033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, what is your idling RPM on the D390s? Mine is 1500 rpm. Is that normal? Seems to high. Also noticed some oil sweating at 2-3 places. Some irritants.
Starts slightly higher and ideally settles down over 1500. Mine must be around 1600. And oil sweating is very common if one doesnt clean the bike very often right around the front oil filter i guess??

I would like those who are having the sudden shut of issue to take this up seriously with KTM to see if they can identify a root cause. If needed leave the bike with them for a week, if it ends being an issue showing up on certain circumstances which most of the other owners have not ended up experience. Meaning we have not had that circumstance to confirm this and help fellow users.
Old 20th February 2014, 18:45   #2034
BANNED

Is there a Bank angle sensor given in D200 and D390?

Anurag.
Old 20th February 2014, 21:23   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Re: unexpected shutoff: Does the D200 have a similar problem?

In a similar vein, does the 390 (and current 200s) have any problem with the front fork seals?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th February 2014, 22:16   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is there a Bank angle sensor given in D200 and D390?

Anurag.
I highly doubt a bank angle sensor seeing the lean angles it does regularly with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Re: unexpected shutoff: Does the D200 have a similar problem?

In a similar vein, does the 390 (and current 200s) have any problem with the front fork seals?

Regards
Sutripta
Yes D200 had the shutoff issue initially, including my old one. The fix was a newer map at second service that mellowed down the D200 a lot and solved this problem.

The D200 also had front fork seals issue - I bust mine over a harmless hump and the service guys seemed to see it as a common enough problem.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 22:22   #2037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The best part was that they wanted to know what kind of bike we were looking forward to. I am extremely pleased to say that more than 95%(including me!) of the owners suggested a Dual Sport/Enduro or in other words a smaller sibling of the 1190 Adventure.

It was a market research and seeing our outright interest in the dual sports we were asked if we will be comfortable going to office or a shopping mall on a bike looking that rugged. To which all nodded with a stupid grin!

KTM seemed to be pretty serious with this interaction program and hope they seriously consider our feedbacks and expectations.
Awesome! Lets hope they are trying to gauge the market before launching something they've already decided!
Old 20th February 2014, 23:06   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Went for a customer interaction program with KTM India Sales Head and another executive from KTM.

Me and other 7-8 390 owners present there has raised our concerns regarding the alloy cracking and the abrupt shutting down of the bikes, which they have noted down. Fingers crossed on that.

The other agenda of the meet was to understand what the 390 owners felt was lacking in the current 390. Points like a longer pillion seat and hooks to clip bungee cords were raised by most of the owners.
Whaaaat?!!
None of you gentlemen asked for a 13-15L fuel tank as a powerpart?

Cheers !

Last edited by MavericK46 : 20th February 2014 at 23:13. Reason: Add another 20 paise worth of comments...
Old 20th February 2014, 23:28   #2039
BHPian

Quote:

Hi FlyingSpur! My bike idles between 1500-1600 during cold starts and 1400-1500 after the engine heats up a bit.

Luckily, not facing issues like the bike dying while downshifting. IIRC bhpian ashkamath was also facing the same issue. He might be able to help.
Old 21st February 2014, 00:16   #2040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
Whaaaat?!!
None of you gentlemen asked for a 13-15L fuel tank as a powerpart?

Cheers !
No worries mate! The fuel tank capacity was one of the first points that were raised.. Forgot to mention it in the previous post. We were asked for an ideal tank range we expected the average range figure as per everyone was around 350kms before hitting the LF indicator.

Also among the discussed were inadequate headlamp beam spread, option for spoke rims with tubeless tires, slightly more rear set pillion grab rails etc.

Most Viewed