Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 16:34   #2071
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Not completely sure about the authenticity of the news. But Motoroids speculates about a 390 Adventure version.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/ktm-in...lot-coming-us/
Old 24th February 2014, 22:58   #2072
Senior - BHPian

Thank you gents for your very very helpful responses.

(Warning & a request : Super long post follows. But please read through it and provide your insights. Thank you!)

I had two things on the agenda today - visit the KTM showroom & meet the seller of the used Duke 200 in cyber city - gurgaon (right next to my office)

1st up; visit to the KTM showroom:

I parked my Royal Oilfield outside the Gurgaon KTM showroom and was greeted by the salesman immediately upon entry. I asked them for a test ride of both 200 and 390. Was asked to fill a form; and out we headed for a test ride. Time taken for me r get the keys since my arrival - No more than 3 minutes. First class

Duke 200 test ride : From the moment I thumbed the starter; the bike did not "feel" right. The brake lever had excessive play, front end was wobbly. The bike was not smooth at all and the throttle wasn't crisp either. The front end dove on the slightest braking. Scared myself silly and hurriedly came back to the showroom. Asked the sales guy if the bike was awaiting some work to be carried out. He admitted that the front suspension was probably shot and there are many misc. items that need to be attended to.

Duke 390 test ride : I was smiling even before I swung my leg over it. This is gonna be great ..... I said to myself. Thumbed the starter and the bike roared to life with a much bassy ... well .... roar. Twisted the throttle - Soooooo smoooooth. The bike was brand new; not even a 100 kms old. I took the bike out of the service lane and onto the main road and what awaited me was a perfect anticlimax. A MILE long traffic jam.

The bike would simply lurch forward every time I gassed it even a bit. This thing is maddddddd. At the slightest of throttle inputs; the bike just wants to take off. I was having a tough time guiding it through the tiny gaps between the vehicles.

Throttle - BRAAAPPPPP ZOOOM LURCH LURCH - PANIC BRAKE PANIC BRAKE is how it played out for about a km. I stalled the bike once too. She was not happy; neither was I. But after the jam came a bit of open road. The squid in me woke up and I gunned it. HOLY HELL!!!!!

It ran like it just broke free after being shackled for years. I got a taste of its brutal (by my novice standards) acceleration. I was grinning from ear to ear. Thats when I started looking for a corner to see how this baby turns. She is light, nimble, the sculpted tank lets me lock in my knees very well and also allows me to move around on the bike with relative ease.

You can flick it in corners alrite! My only complaint; the front end was devoid of any feel. The front felt so light; like it wasn't even there. Maybe this is a part of the un-learning process post living with the bullet for these many years? Anyhow; not a deal breaker.

But this bike made me realize the skill level required to really push (and therefore enjoy) these machines; and how much I need to practice. Am gonna read through Nick Ienatsch's "Sport riding rechniques" yet again. What really drove the point home was when I tried "blipping" the throttle to rev match whilst downshifting. I can do it seamlessly on my bullet (Lol). On the 390; it went - Clutch in, downshift, blip, release clutch, bike surges forward, no rev match, big jolt. Tried it a couple of times again with exact same results. Did not try anything "pro-like" (LOL) after that. Rode the bike true to how I am - a novice at sport riding.

Exchanged numbers with the KTM showroom manager and took his leave. Oh; the ABS cable was "deliberately" removed by the sales guy as the bike is "skiddish" (?????????????). Silly man!

So; the scores were 200 nil; 390 A GAZILLION. With that; I went to meet the fella who had his 200 up for sale.

200 test ride (part deux) : This bike was nothing like the test ride. It felt tight, was extremely smooth and very managable actually. I had the same issues with the light / 0 feedback front end and my "bliiping skills" (no joy on the 200 either. Same disastrous results).

BUT; I was again met with heavy traffic (literally a crawl) and the 200 felt a lot more composed. Real calm, zen like (Ok, I exaggerate). The sound was a bit muted for my taste but give it some beans and she belches a glorious BRAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP. Loved it!

Went back to the guy, told him the bike ran fine and was getting ready to negotiate. Asked him for his service booklet and thats when THE shit hit THE fan. He said he had his console changed sometime back. The bike had actually done over 30k kms (he advertised it as just under 10.5k kms). He said that he was telling me as I "seemed genuine" with all my riding gear and a trusty bullet. Bloody crook! Told him and his theiving buddy - no deal.

Now the dilemma - Outright craziness of the 390 or controlled aggression of the 200?

390 pros - Serious performance and oodles of joy for relatively little money

Cons - No real VFM deals available in the used market, Not sure if it (& me) will be able to cope with the city traffic (The city is where she will spend 80% of the time. Not bogged down in a crawl but not super quick either)

200 pros - Good useable power for a novice like me, does not feel as "bogged down" in traffic / low RPMs. Used deals available. Am going to check out another one tomorrow. 2012 model; done 5k kms (we'll see!). Asking price 1 lac. Will probably close it between 90 - 95k. Good deal?

Cons - Will it hone my skills enough to take on a truly fast 600 / 750 in the near future ...... like a year / 18 months? Not as fast or sharp looking as the 390.

Still confused! Please chime in with your thoughts. I really look forward to hearing from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
It does make sense to buy a 200 that is going pretty low these days around 80-1L as DR suggested

Coming to 390, its a pocket rocket as everyone says. You will never get bored to ride it day in and day out
Agreed! Request your comments basis the short summary posted above

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I have the 390 but at the same price, I would plump for the Ninja.
Would you mind elaborating as to why it is so? I understand the awe / hype that surrounds the ninjette & it probably is very well deserved. But would you really be willing to plonk 2 lac on a vehicle that is 5 years old, is lot more expensive to maintain, is nowhere near the 390 in terms of performance (relative?). Plus - Parts; in case you (god forbid) crash are very expensive. You cannot even get the 0 dep cover given the vehicle's vintage.

I do not feel I would be able to really enjoy the ninjette owing to the (maintenance) cost factor alone. And think about it; the vehicle costed around 3 lac OTR when new. In 5 years; its just depriciated 30 odd percent? Cannot digest. Probably there are many others that cant either; coz this Ninja has been on sale for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
If you can buy a new 390, its a good option provided ....

Believe me, you wont get bored of this bike even if you are commuting on it on a daily basis.

That seems to be a sweet deal IF it is maintained well. Parts costs a bomb and will not always be readily available even through ASCs (eg. Mirrors costs around 2.5k brake pads around 1.5k+ IIRC). Please give it a thought if you really enjoy hunting and waiting for parts. But the feel, smoothness and even sound of that parallel twin stays unchallenged till date.
Thanks for your comments. Please do read up on my latest - post test drive dilemma and let me know your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Since you say you would ultimately like to settle with a bigger bike, I would suggest you to save money for it now and buy a good used 200 and use it for a year or so and get ready for the bigger bike

Between the used Ninja 250 vs the brand new 390, I would suggest the Ninja for the same reason
Thank you Doc! More help needed please. I have crossed Ninja off my list. Probably considered it in a moment of madness.
Old 25th February 2014, 00:05   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I parked my Royal Oilfield
Loved the humour there!
Quote:
You can flick it in corners alrite! My only complaint; the front end was devoid of any feel. The front felt so light; like it wasn't even there. Maybe this is a part of the un-learning process post living with the bullet for these many years? Anyhow; not a deal breaker.
Another way to put that light front end is nimbleness. You will get used to its flickability in no time!
Quote:
What really drove the point home was when I tried "blipping" the throttle to rev match whilst downshifting. I can do it seamlessly on my bullet (Lol). On the 390; it went - Clutch in, downshift, blip, release clutch, bike surges forward, no rev match, big jolt. Tried it a couple of times again with exact same results. Did not try anything "pro-like" (LOL) after that. Rode the bike true to how I am - a novice at sport riding.
Had the same problem of rev-matching coming from the Oilfield. The KTM (both 200 and 390) loses its revs as fast as it gains it unlike the oilfield which takes its own sweet time to lose the gained momentum of cycle parts. Thats merely because of the ultra light engine components of the KTM including the flywheel!

Quote:
390 pros - Serious performance and oodles of joy for relatively little money

Cons - No real VFM deals available in the used market, Not sure if it (& me) will be able to cope with the city traffic (The city is where she will spend 80% of the time. Not bogged down in a crawl but not super quick either)

200 pros - Good useable power for a novice like me, does not feel as "bogged down" in traffic / low RPMs. Used deals available. Am going to check out another one tomorrow. 2012 model; done 5k kms (we'll see!). Asking price 1 lac. Will probably close it between 90 - 95k. Good deal?

Cons - Will it hone my skills enough to take on a truly fast 600 / 750 in the near future ...... like a year / 18 months? Not as fast or sharp looking as the 390.
As city is where your bike will be (most of the times) I would suggest going for the used 200!

- Will save you some bucks so that you can get your SBK quicker
- Less heat up in crawling traffic than the 390
- IMHO, you will be able to enjoy the 200 in city more than the 390. The real fun on 390 starts post 7k RPM. Which is near suicidal in city!
- Due to shorter gearing 200 requires less number of gear changes if you are riding it normally!
- Now the best part - You can REDLINE the bike in any gear you want at sane speeds in the city limits unlike the 390 which requires a clear runway to stretch its legs!
- And regarding the last query. The 200 should provide you with a good learning curve for your SBK. It will also help you to unlearn some stuffs you picked up from the oilfield too. It is only a bit slower than the 390 but does almost all the other things the 390 does. Handling and braking mainly. The only thing you will have to be careful when your SBK comes should be the throttle control rest of the things the 200 can teach you.

Cheers
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 00:06   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not completely sure about the authenticity of the news. But Motoroids speculates about a 390 Adventure version.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/ktm-in...lot-coming-us/

The funny part being that there is no actual picture of the 390 Adventure anywhere. Even the one in the link is of the 990 Adventure and it has be posted as the 390 Adventure.

This makes me think, if KTM actually has this model in their arsenal or will Bajaj do the needful mods on the 390 and give it us.

Last edited by tharian : 25th February 2014 at 00:09.
Old 25th February 2014, 00:15   #2075
Senior - BHPian

Have you test driven the Ninja yet? The problem is once i drove the 300,it pushed the goal posts of what a great bike should be so far away its difficult to love anything else.And the example i drove was an abused showroom bike! The refinement of the twin cylinder immediately sucks out all the immediacy from you.You get into a rather zen like state,pausing the hear the muted thrum instead of jumping on it and wringing the throttle.The front also doesnt have that lightness that you felt.Experts you have had a lot of seat time on the 250 and 300 actually praise the 250 higher,although that doesnt come with the excellent slipper clutch.

Totally opposite of what i felt when i was on the 390.In the 390 the engine is feels like it will just push apart the trellis frame and run off alone.The entire bike just want you to GO!GO!GO! all the time.I am not sure i liked it.I mean its fantastic Value For Power,but i know,one day i am going make a mistake with all that power and the constant egg-ing on.

I think,if you find a good 250,with a known history,go for it.I would say the re-learning that you would have to do for that bike would be a lot less than the Duke.Personal opinion.

Last edited by avishar : 25th February 2014 at 00:18.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 11:07   #2076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(The city is where she will spend 80% of the time. Not bogged down in a crawl but not super quick either)
I have done over 5400Kms of which 90% is inside city. I have stopped using my 500 CI for ever and its always the KTM i go for. The 390 is the best thing that has happened to my daily work commute.

Since you own a bull you will mostly just notice the heat but wont be bothered much. The calmer you ride it the efficient it is.

For the same price the Ninja is a definitely a better buy but the long term ownership of parts and service is definitely higher. A simple example is a fuel filter in KTM would be around 130 to change including service charge while the filter would be close to 300 in a Ninja.

On comparison the Ninja will feel super smooth and the 390 will feel quite harsh. Stand alone the 390 actually aint bad with respect to vibration and smoothness. In fact some don't mind the roughness which vanishes at least at around 5K RPM.

There is no question about Ninja here as a refined bike.

390 to me is more like a panther hidden under a sheep skin. It does make other sheep's try to compete only for the panther inside to pounce the freak out of the sheeps
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 13:52   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still confused! Please chime in with your thoughts. I really look forward to hearing from you.
To me, the 390 is a fun motorcycle at half the rev's of the 200. In just 6000rpm and those first four gears, you are flying. It is effortless. Yes; heat is a concern. No getting away from this. I don't think you are in a better position with regard to heat even on the 200. This bike runs hot as well. The 390 is a no go if you are going to see a lot of bumper to bumper traffic. The bike does not like it and it will make sure you are fully aware of this. It is probably not as good a traffic dart as the 200.

I don't think anyone can make this decision for you. There is a clear difference between both the bikes. You have to pick what you like. 44 horse power in a 150 kilo frame sounds like a lot more fun to me.

I can't help but say the exact same thing as the last post. My Enfield 500 has not seen much use in the last 6 months. All I want to ride now is my KTM. It is such a brilliant motorcycle.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 14:05   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Doc! More help needed please. I have crossed Ninja off my list. Probably considered it in a moment of madness.
I have already given you my advice bro. If you want to keep the bike, the 390 is a bigger and faster bike than the 250. So 2 lacs to 2 lacs, buy the 390.

If you are going to sell the bike after a year or even 2, you will lose more money on the 390 than you wil on the 250, again both 2 lacs to 2 lacs.

So you have to ask yourself if this extra you pay (for the 390 over the 250, for one year or 2 max) is worth the money to you. The 250 is no slouch either, just to keep things in perspective. Its just that the 390 is more explosive, quicker and faster.

The 200 is a smaller 390, but much more explosive and frantic in nature. The fact that you find it composed means you have not actually ridden it as it demands to be ridden. Its what I would suggest if you were looking for a stop gap to the 690 at this stage. Be patient, and look for a really good clean 200. Even if you have to pay extra. It would be worth it.

The advantage of the 200 over the 390 is that the 200 has already undergone its biggest dip in value (which you have gained from). The 390 it is you who will lose that first big dip in value. Decide whether that (the difference in depreciation for both over 1-2 years) is worth the extra that the 390 would give you over the 200.

And the fact that a 30+ thousand km old 200 still felt tight and peppy and smooth is actually testament to the build quality of the bike. Keep the dishonesty of the potential seller aside (though in his favor, he was honest with you when it mattered).

Just to give you an example closer to home, a very close Bulleteer friend of mine recently went through the same process. Looking at exactly the same bikes (briefly the 650 as well). And he finally bought a brand new 390. So its all up to what you want and what you are wiling to pay (lose) for it.

The golden rule still applies. Like computers and mobiles, bikes will keep getting launched and become yesterday's news every 6 - 12 months. If you wait, there is no end to waiting. And biking has a limited shelf life (unlike computer and mobile usage).

Using my own example, 2+ years ago I wanted the 390 and not the 200 (and definitely not the 125). At that time KTM was not yet there in India and anything could have happened launch wise. So when I heard it was the 200 and not the 390, I jumped at the 200. And haven't regretted my decision. The downside is that there is a better bike (the 390) available now. But that will always be the case. Even if and when the 690 is launched, there will still be bigger and faster bikes around at the same time, and in the future as well. Know what you want and make your dcision accordingly. Otherwise you will keep waiting, and around the time a bike you have been waiting for is going to be launched or already launched, the manufacturers will seed on the grapevine "news" of the next big thing. So what will you do? Wait some more?!!!!

So buy the best you can afford NOW.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th February 2014 at 14:27.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 15:11   #2079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would advice you to go with D390. Its a much better bike compared to D200 (for the price offered).

And when on road, you wont be eyeing other D390s with envy
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 22:10   #2080
BHPian

Quote:

I have crossed Ninja off my list. Probably considered it in a moment of madness.
Well, as someone who currently owns the D390 and Ninja250 and owned the D200 for 11K kms in the past:
Please cross the D200 off your list and get it off your head if you have a 2L budget.
If your ultimate goal is an SBK as soon as you can get there, get the Ninja now. It is simply the best bike to learn how to ride fast, get your cornering sorted out, learn body positions, learn to handle a non-linear peaky power delivery, get your braking sorted out and pretty much everything else you need to be equipped to handle a big bike. While having a fun, forgiving bike to have blast with.
If you want a fast bike right now, get the D390. It is faster in the city and on straight highways. Not by much on twisties or tracks though. The ABS is great so are the tyres if you are going to try to push your limits and learn on it.The 390 will also let you adjust to fast speeds well enough before you take the SBK plunge.
Please ride them both - there is no right choice. Everyone who rides them immediately loves one over the other and that's how it's always going to be given their extremely different natures.

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 25th February 2014 at 22:12.
niranjanrvce is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 22:51   #2081
Senior - BHPian

Its done!!!!

The 390 it is; in black.

All of you who responded; my heartfelt thank you! I will definitely keep you posted as and when she comes home.

Quote:
As city is where your bike will be (most of the times) I would suggest going for the .........
I guess I should have been clearer actually. My office commute is usually during "off peak" hours. Getting in a bumper to bumper situation is not something I will face everyday (touch wood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Have you test driven the Ninja yet?

Totally opposite of what i felt when i was on the 390.In the 390 the engine is feels like it will just push apart the trellis frame and run off alone.The entire bike just want you to GO!GO!GO! all the time
I know!!!!! Fell in love with that egging on. Its like the she wants the one on top to have some skill; so that she can have some fun too

I better "rise" to the occassion (smiley limit over)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
390 to me is more like a panther hidden under a sheep skin
Well said sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
To me, the 390 is a fun motorcycle at half the rev's of the 200
Thats what was constantly bothering me. Twice the bike as 200; at a marginally higher price. And I could afford one now; so.......

Quote:
The fact that you find it composed means you have not actually ridden it as it demands to be ridden.
Totally agree! I dont think I rode either bike with the expertise required to get any semblance of performance out of them

My comment was more from a bumper to bumper traffic situation which I got almost everywhere I went on the test ride. 200 was not peachy; but I could manage that better than the 390

Quote:
And the fact that a 30+ thousand km old 200 still felt tight and peppy and smooth is actually testament to the build quality of the bike. Keep the dishonesty of the potential seller aside (though in his favor, he was honest with you when it mattered).
Being dishonest is being dishonest. He still has the ad up on olx suggesting his bike has only done 11k odd kms. And its not like he was very forthcoming about it. Its when I insisted on seeing the service booklet did he spill the beans. He had the audacity to tell me that he only told me because he "felt I was genuine"(?????); else he could have easily fooled anyone into thinking that its a low mileage example. Like a phone call to the KTM service center to enquire the bike's service history would be such a pain. Nonsense!!!!!

Regarding the bike; I echo your comments. I had the EXACT same thoughts (after a short wave of furstration & anger) when he told me his Duke was 30000+ kms old

Quote:
biking has a limited shelf life
Beautifully put! Its actually your and some other BHPians' fault that I began to think contrary to your comment above. Per some 20 year olds I have met in recent times; you start getting old at 30 and are probably done and dusted with all wordly desires by the time you turn 40.

On this very forum; we have people that are not old but not sweet 16 either. They have an amazing zest for life and are living it up well in their 40s, 50s and even 60s.

There's a doctor who is chasing a dream of owning a bike that does a genuine 200kmph +. "Only" 140 clicks just does not cut it for him. He is a father of 2 beautiful, grown up kids

Another who is spending time accessorizing his 390 to make it an adept tourer and loading it up with high end Givi boxes; wind screens et al

Then there's a grandfather who went to Leh with his wife just because he thoought it would be fun (and right he was)

There are many more examples but my limited memory fails me

You sir are right. I want a fast bike. 390 is plenty fast. I should get the 390. Simple

Quote:
So buy the best you can afford NOW.
This is one purchase that speaks both to the heart (want) and head (can)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
And when on road, you wont be eyeing other D390s with envy
LOL. Dont wanna get that feeling for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
If you want a fast bike right now, get the D390
And get it I shall. Your post was extremely helpful. I went through your ownership review (comparo actually) of the 3 bikes you own. Very informative & well written
Old 27th February 2014, 01:09   #2082
Senior - BHPian

@Urban_Nomad(Nice thought behind the name),good to know that you have made up your mind.Half the battle's done!

I believe yours might be the first black 390 booked in the forum?

And any price cuts after the excise slash?

I hope get your hands on that rascal soon.:-)
Old 27th February 2014, 03:00   #2083
BHPian

[quote=Urban_Nomad;3379134]Its done!!!!

The 390 it is; in black.

Congratulations bro, i took delivery of a midnight black duke on the 15th and am absolutely thrilled. You're gonna so love it man, just be careful lending it out
Old 27th February 2014, 11:22   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
Congratulations bro, i took delivery of a midnight black duke on the 15th and am absolutely thrilled. You're gonna so love it man, just be careful lending it out
Congrats VedderTheFixer on the black beauty, last week i saw it in flesh, its was sheer bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
And any price cuts after the excise slash?
@avishar, when I met Prasanna from Begumpet KTM last week, I asked him about the effective price after excise slash, for which he first said the difference is hardly anything. When I told him that I was gonna book it now and, if he could confirm for sure, then he made a call confirming that the difference is only 1-2k, but yet to be effective. I gave my number and told him to ping me once the news is confirmed. After doing some googling found that CBR250's high end got a slash of 7600 and just a few days back from one of the tbhp post, a fellow bhpian confirmed that a slash of 4k has been announced for Duke 200 in KTM Nagpur, while 390 is yet to be announced. Going by the numbers I think the 390 might see a slash of around 7k.
Pretorian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 11:23   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Urban Nomad on your new 390. Glad to have been of help. The black ones are definitely smoother than the white ones, and easier revving. Don't think they've permanently fixed the heating issue fully yet but have heard the shutting off issue has been addressed. Do let us know as you move along with your ownership.

Most Viewed