Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2014, 20:54   #2206
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
Hi. My feb 2014 manufactured 320 odd km run bike has a very noisy engine. This is especially evident after the bike has been run for a bit. On a cold start in the morning in idle , the sound is not so bad. The sound i hear is tic.tic/clakity clack. Very similar to a bullets tappets sound

Will be taking it to the svc to check it out on the weekend. Have any of u experienced this. What could be the cause ?

Thanks
Quote:
Unfortunately i dont have access to any other bike to compare it to. Its only run 350kms.

Please let me know if you can tell anything from the video

http://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=dq4IqYbKMa4

Thanks.
Can't tell much from a video because loudness depends on my speaker volume but the sound itself seems normal to me. Take it to a service center to put any doubts to rest.
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 01:37   #2207
Distinguished - BHPian

Oils of any kind should never be applied to the disk or the pads on any brake.

Although diesel fuel is a distillate, it does have lubricating properties. It can also soak into the brake pads making its presence a fairly long term affair and as some of you have found, it renders the brakes almost useless.

There are some fluids which will break down oil/fuel and reduce or eliminate their lubricating properties.

The best for doing this is called Disk Brake Cleaner. Applied to the disk and the brake pads it will destroy any oil that is present and it does this without damaging the rubber seals.

Other solvents that can work are Lacquer Thinner, MEK and Acetone, but these may also damage any paint they contact.

Another solvent that works moderately well is Denatured Alcohol.
This is often a mix of Methanol and Ethanol alcohols and is commonly used as a paint thinner for shellac. It is not your common rubbing alcohol and it is poisonous.

A weaker solvent that can help some is Isopropyl Alcohol. This is the common "rubbing alcohol" and it is often sold with water mixed into it.
This alcohol is not very effective at removing oil/fuel when it is at 90 percent mixture so if you intend to use it, buy the highest percentage of alcohol available.

The best idea rather than worrying about using some toxic solvent is to insist that absolutely NO fuels or oils of any kind are applied to your brakes by anyone at any time for any reason.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 28th March 2014 at 01:39.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 11:11   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
What kind of chain lube do other users recommend for the 390?
I use TVS TruSpray. I do not clean the chain, I just re spray when I see the chain drying out. No Complaints with this TVS product and it is safe for the rubber O rings.
Old 28th March 2014, 13:46   #2209
BHPian

Posting about a problem i experienced with the 390. During the first service at 1200kms had to top up the coolant which was at MIN level. After riding 600kms the coolant level was at MIN again so i had a doubt that there was a leak somewhere.

Took the bike to Sai Service SVC, Pune and asked them to check if the coolant was leaking into the engine as there was no visible leak outside. The SVC Manager said this was not possible as there was no water condensation on the oil level gauge and coolant loss is normal. So they topped up the coolant.

Again the same problem after another 600kms. Found out online that the problem could be with the water pump. Went to the SVC and he again tried to convince me this was normal as there could be air in the radiator which escaped and coolant level dropped. Only after i insisted to check the water pump did he agree to diagnose the problem.

So the engine oil was let out and oil filter removed. The mech looked at the oil filter and agreed it was damaged which shouldn't happen after only 1200kms.He then removed and changed the water pump rotor and the 2 seals behind the rotor as coolant was leaking through the seals and into the engine.

So moral of the story is you have to be House M.D to diagnose the problem yourself as the SVC guys will try to convince you there is no problem at all.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-copy.jpg  

motorhead666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 14:29   #2210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead666 View Post
.He then removed and changed the water pump rotor and the 2 seals behind the rotor as coolant was leaking through the seals and into the engine.
Was there no visible smoke from the exhaust? This is your first indication of engine coolant making its way in to the engine.
Old 28th March 2014, 16:12   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Was there no visible smoke from the exhaust? This is your first indication of engine coolant making its way in to the engine.
No there wasn't visible smoke out of the exhaust. But that could be because the coolant leak was very slow.
Old 28th March 2014, 23:08   #2212
BHPian

Finally got the delivery of my black D390, got the bike within 16 days of booking. Was initially told that I would have to wait around 2 months. One quick question, the bike idles at 2k rpm, whereas I read somewhere that it should idle at about 1.6 to 1.8k rpm, d390 owners kindly let me know the actual idle rpm. Showroom guys told me that 2k is standard, and also that it can't be changed.
Old 29th March 2014, 01:05   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
Finally got the delivery of my black D390, got the bike within 16 days of booking. Was initially told that I would have to wait around 2 months. One quick question, the bike idles at 2k rpm, whereas I read somewhere that it should idle at about 1.6 to 1.8k rpm, d390 owners kindly let me know the actual idle rpm. Showroom guys told me that 2k is standard, and also that it can't be changed.
Congratulations bro!

The idle rpm seems to be increasing linearly with the month of manufacture! At this rate, 2015 manufactured D390 will rev at 5000 rpm and you won't need a throttle!

On a serious note, my bike from the first lot idles between 1400 +/- 100 rpm. Although I feel it shouldn't bother you much apart from negligibly reduced mileage!

Last edited by Added_flavor : 29th March 2014 at 01:16.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 02:41   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. My feb 2014 manufactured 320 odd km run bike has a very noisy engine. This is especially evident after the bike has been run for a bit. On a cold start in the morning in idle , the sound is not so bad. The sound i hear is tic.tic/clakity clack. Very similar to a bullets tappets sound

Will be taking it to the svc to check it out on the weekend. Have any of u experienced this. What could be the cause ?

Thanks
Ditto here, this is identical to what im hearing..started at around 700 km on the odo, evident once the engine heats up, disappears once you let it cool for a bit. I went to the SVC and they said it's normal and nothing to worry about. There was another 390 which i started up and it was pretty much the same. What did they tell you over there?
Old 29th March 2014, 02:55   #2215
BHPian

Thanks for the reply, what's bothering me is that engine feels streesed at idle and also its quite irritating while stopping at signals as the engine keeps revving at 2000 rpm. Is is really not possible to reduce it or the showroom people simply didn't want to do it? 2000 rpm really is too high I feel. Recent owners of d390 please share your idle rpms. Also I being from a small city (guwahati) is really skeptical about the service I am going to get from the service centre, don't know how much knowledge do they have
Old 29th March 2014, 10:34   #2216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
Ditto here, this is identical to what im hearing..started at around 700 km on the odo, evident once the engine heats up, disappears once you let it cool for a bit. I went to the SVC and they said it's normal and nothing to worry about. There was another 390 which i started up and it was pretty much the same. What did they tell you over there?
Being the worrywart that i am i went to 3 KTM service centers to check on this sound in the last few days.

3 different techs assured me that the sound is absolutely normal. The bikes i heard in the SVCs also sound similar.

The bike runs great, idles fine, doesnt leak or show any abnormal leaking so im letting this rest for now.

A friend who has a 390 for a while now confirms that the sound will get better after the services so im not worried anymore.

The bike is just a blast to ride
The Pain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 12:11   #2217
BHPian

[quote=The Pain;3401289]

A friend who has a 390 for a while now confirms that the sound will get better after the services so im not worried anymore.

Same here bro, bit of an OCD case myself .ive decided to let it go, if the noise is normal so be it. The bike is bloody awesome otherwise, no rattles/leaks or whatever..it runs like a dream .
Old 29th March 2014, 19:35   #2218
BHPian

Mine has done 2500 KMs and the sound gets better after the servicing and after running the bike for a few more KMs...
The heat still troubles me... I am sure there is some kind of a fix in market for dissipating this heat coming from the engine / radiator? Better coolant may be.

In summers (rt now) the heat in traffic is becoming troublesome, the bike has not stopped ever due to over heating but the heat coming off and the sound of radiator whirring away is a racket.
Bazinga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 19:56   #2219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Mine has done 2500 KMs and the sound gets better after the servicing and after running the bike for a few more KMs...
The heat still troubles me... I am sure there is some kind of a fix in market for dissipating this heat coming from the engine / radiator? Better coolant may be.

In summers (rt now) the heat in traffic is becoming troublesome, the bike has not stopped ever due to over heating but the heat coming off and the sound of radiator whirring away is a racket.
Glad to hear about the sound going down a bit. The heat is definately quite a lot and takes some getting used to. The only other coolant ive read about people switching to is Engine Ice which apparently helps a bit.

The powertronic ecu also helps to bring down the heat a bit apparently by starting the rad fan earlier than the stock setting from what i read.
Old 30th March 2014, 00:29   #2220
BHPian

No one else having high rpm issue at idle? At least any idea how to reduce it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks