Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2014, 02:11   #2221
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
No one else having high rpm issue at idle? At least any idea how to reduce it.
I have a Feb 2014 manufactured 390. It idles at 2000 rpm as well. i dont think its a problem at all. IMO you shouldnt worry abt it too much.
The Pain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 07:24   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No one else having high rpm issue at idle? At least any idea how to reduce it.
During the DIY session organised by the KTM at Indiranagar SVC it was told the idle rpm cannot be set, as this is governed by ECU and there is no control over the happening. My beast idles at 1400-1600rpm as added flavour tells. It is from the second lot of bike in bangalore.
Old 30th March 2014, 08:16   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
During the DIY session organised by the KTM at Indiranagar SVC it was told the idle rpm cannot be set, as this is governed by ECU and there is no control over the happening. My beast idles at 1400-1600rpm as added flavour tells. It is from the second lot of bike in bangalore.
Thanks for the reply, did you mean 2014 edition bike by saying second lot?

Also, I get it that idle rpm is controlled by ECU and it can't be just changed by turning a knob just like in carburreted bikes. What I want to know is, 1) is 2000 rpm at idle normal or something is wrong. If this is normal then second question doesn't arise, if it isn't then my second question is, 2) can the ecu be tweaked at service centre and set it to the correct level.

Thanks in advance
Old 30th March 2014, 09:05   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, did you mean 2014 edition bike by saying second lot?

Also, I get it that idle rpm is controlled by ECU and it can't be just changed by turning a knob just like in carburreted bikes. What I want to know is, 1) is 2000 rpm at idle normal or something is wrong. If this is normal then second question doesn't arise, if it isn't then my second question is, 2) can the ecu be tweaked at service centre and set it to the correct level.

Thanks in advance
Idling at 2000 RPM is the default setting on the 2014 bikes.
Old 30th March 2014, 10:46   #2225
BHPian

Sounds fine. The sound mellows out a bit and gets "fatter" after about 2-3K km. The shrillness reduces. It's hard to describe in words.
Old 30th March 2014, 13:12   #2226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
Sounds fine. The sound mellows out a bit and gets "fatter" after about 2-3K km. The shrillness reduces. It's hard to describe in words.
Is this wrt the video i posted? Thanks.
Old 30th March 2014, 19:17   #2227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, did you mean 2014 edition bike by saying second lot? :
It was delivered on 20th September 13. In the first batch the Mekhri circle ktm delivered 5 bikes. Then after 20 days of lull, the second lot were delivered. The fan assembly were replaced on these machines at SVC before delivery while the earlier lot were recalled.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 20:56   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
I have a Feb 2014 manufactured 390. It idles at 2000 rpm as well. i dont think its a problem at all. IMO you shouldnt worry abt it too much.
I didn't notice your post, thanks a lot

I am new to FI bikes, so was a bit worried. I have always ridden carburreted bikes. And I have to depend on this forum a lot, the service centre guys are hopeless.
Old 30th March 2014, 23:34   #2229
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't notice your post, thanks a lot

I am new to FI bikes, so was a bit worried. I have always ridden carburreted bikes. And I have to depend on this forum a lot, the service centre guys are hopeless.
No worries. This is my first FI bike as well. I know exactly what you are going through.
Old 31st March 2014, 01:53   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
Bro, i have a black 390 as well. From day 1 it has been idling at 1800 rpm and at the first service i clarified this, the mechs said it was just fine. to me it seems 2000 rpm is a tad on the high side and i dont see why the bike should idle at this speed. Anyway if you have been reassured that it's just fine i guess that should be it.

I was irritated with the so called 'tappet' noise , saw it in the video you uploaded. But im past caring now, the bike seems to be running just as awesome and apparently its the case with every 390.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 31st March 2014 at 22:28.
VedderTheFixer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 02:09   #2231
Senior - BHPian

Got the bike serviced today. Overall, an avg experience. The only "customization" I was able to do was getting the handlebar pulled in a few mm towards me.

Front brake lever position - can't be done. Abs "play" will get affected

Rear brake lever to be "pushed down" a few mm - same abs bulschitockhen

What's scary is the braking. The front brake I felt did not have any bite in the initial part of the "Squeeze". Brakes were bled n pads cleaned with sandpaper. I was told there will be some loss of braking as the pads have just been cleaned n need to bed in

I ride back home, over 10 Kms. The braking now is just plain bad. I was better off earlier.

I tried squeezing the front brake levers of some other (white paint scheme) 390s. Sooooo much better. In fact, checked out another black 390. Same poor front brake feel as mine

Does anyone know if there's a problem with the new lot wrt front brakes

PS - bike idles between 1600 n 1800 rpm. Never 2000. Since there was a debate going on about this, thought I too would pitch in with my experience
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 11:22   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Got the bike serviced today. Overall, an avg experience. The only "customization" I was able to do was getting the handlebar pulled in a few mm towards me.

Front brake lever position - can't be done. Abs "play" will get affected

Rear brake lever to be "pushed down" a few mm - same abs bulschitockhen

What's scary is the braking. The front brake I felt did not have any bite in the initial part of the "Squeeze". Brakes were bled n pads cleaned with sandpaper. I was told there will be some loss of braking as the pads have just been cleaned n need to bed in

I ride back home, over 10 Kms. The braking now is just plain bad. I was better off earlier.

I tried squeezing the front brake levers of some other (white paint scheme) 390s. Sooooo much better. In fact, checked out another black 390. Same poor front brake feel as mine

Does anyone know if there's a problem with the new lot wrt front brakes

PS - bike idles between 1600 n 1800 rpm. Never 2000. Since there was a debate going on about this, thought I too would pitch in with my experience
These KTM guys seriously need to get their act together. I have seen 3 2014 bikes at the showroom when i went for delivery all idled at 2000 rpm. I also confirmed it with the guys at the service centers that the rpm at 2000 was standard on the new bikes.

They really need to standardize stuff and stop causing all this confusion.
Old 31st March 2014, 13:01   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
These KTM guys seriously need to get their act together. I have seen 3 2014 bikes at the showroom when i went for delivery all idled at 2000 rpm. I also confirmed it with the guys at the service centers that the rpm at 2000 was standard on the new bikes.

They really need to standardize stuff and stop causing all this confusion.
Training (or lack thereof) is the key here. Example - my service book says I should be getting a free diagnostic check for my bike on each service. The service guy kept fiddling with it. I mean u can tell if someone is "making it up" as they go. We landed on a screen which gave us info around no. Of Kms done, no. Of hrs for which the engine was run in its lifetime n of course, current rpm

It kept hovering between 1600 something to 1800. I'm sure it's the same with your bike too. Visually on the meter, 1800 looks like 2000. Have a diagnostic done. They ll laugh n tell u it's not needed, but insist upon it
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 13:33   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Training (or lack thereof) is the key here. Example - my service book says I should be getting a free diagnostic check for my bike on each service. The service guy kept fiddling with it. I mean u can tell if someone is "making it up" as they go. We landed on a screen which gave us info around no. Of Kms done, no. Of hrs for which the engine was run in its lifetime n of course, current rpm

It kept hovering between 1600 something to 1800. I'm sure it's the same with your bike too. Visually on the meter, 1800 looks like 2000. Have a diagnostic done. They ll laugh n tell u it's not needed, but insist upon it

Thanks for the headsup Bud. Will do so for sure.
Old 31st March 2014, 17:53   #2235
Senior - BHPian

Further update on the braking:

Its Bad!!! Really really bad!!!

I am easily able to "pinch" my ring and little finger without really applying too much pressure. Lirerally NOTHING happens till about half the brake lever is pulled in.

I am going to speak to a gentleman who apparently is the "India expert" for KTM motorcycles. Lets see what he says.

Hope the answer is not similar to what the service guys gave me viz. - "Sir - all us service guys give feedback to the company and they make changes & improvements. This brake change must also be a part of that feedback process".

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2014 at 15:18. Reason: Please avoid inappropriate language, we have readers from all walks of life. Thanks

Most Viewed