Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 17:14   #2236
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

More updates on braking issue:

Just got off the phone with the "Bajaj engineer" (apparently someone more knowledgable in the ways of the motorcycling world than the "vanilla" service technicians @ KTM). Described my situation and he immediately recommended that the front brake master cylinder assembly needs to be replaced. He checked with the Gurgaon service center for parts availability and thankfully; it is very much in stock.

Will be going to the Gurgaon center tomorrow to have the job carried out. Lets see how it goes. Will keep the updates flowing till the issue is resolved.
Old 1st April 2014, 19:11   #2237
BHPian

The braking lever play issue exists in most of the bikes that I have seen till now. My bike did not have this issue when it was new but now (at 5500Kms) it has play and does not inspire confidence.

The mechanic at Gurgaon service center has tried replacing the Bybre master cylinder with Endurance one and that seems to have reduced the lever play. I though am still trying to find better pads / larger brake rotor online.
Old 1st April 2014, 21:25   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
Is this wrt the video i posted? Thanks.
Sorry, yes it is. I forgot to quote your post.
Bluu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 22:19   #2239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surbhit View Post
The braking lever play issue exists in most of the bikes that I have seen till now. My bike did not have this issue when it was new but now (at 5500Kms) it has play and does not inspire confidence.

The mechanic at Gurgaon service center has tried replacing the Bybre master cylinder with Endurance one and that seems to have reduced the lever play. I though am still trying to find better pads / larger brake rotor online.
It seems that you are not entirely happy with the brake feel yet. Is it better than what it was at the time you bought the bike (0 ish kms)?

Steel braided lines, disks, ABS and we still have to think of upgrades? Something is wrong here somewhere. This is a case of service center killing an awesome product.

I am particularly worried as everyone (magazine reviewers / owners) collectively praised the 390's brakes a lot. The moment these service guys lay their hands on the bike; things go to hell.

Not cool.

PS - how long did it take for the service center to replace the master cylinder? Is it an all day job or takes a couple or so hours? I will be going to the Gurgaon center as well.
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:31   #2240
BHPian

I like the way this front number plate is fixed in the middle, instead of forehead!

Question is, is it safe suspension wise ?

PC: KTM Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktm_duke_390_front_number_plate1.jpg  

Pretorian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:34   #2241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mechanic at Gurgaon service center has tried replacing the Bybre master cylinder with Endurance one
I'm at the service center as I type this. Why was the bybre cylinder replaced with an endurance one? Was bybre not in stock or did you specifically ask for the endurance one?

FYI, the replacement cylinder on my bike again is bybre
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:06   #2242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I'm at the service center as I type this. Why was the bybre cylinder replaced with an endurance one? Was bybre not in stock or did you specifically ask for the endurance one?

FYI, the replacement cylinder on my bike again is bybre
I did not get it replaced in my bike, the mechanic there told that he fitted Endurance one on a bike as an experiment and it worked.

How does your bike feel after master cylinder replacement?
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:13   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does your bike feel after master cylinder replacement?
Ok. It sounded from your post that you did get it replaced.

Anyhow; the brake feel, feedback and stopping abaility has improved a lot. I would still like some more "bite" though. One of their senior service technicians was mumbling something about the R&D they conducted previously and found the piston size to be a tad smaller than it should be. He was quick to add that Bajaj does not want to listen to them.

I have a sneaky feeling that there was nothing wrong with the cylinder to begin with. Maybe it was just a poorly executed brake bleed by the Kirti Nagar center.

PS - Sold your 200? If yes; mind sharing how much you eventually let it go for?
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:29   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Ok. It sounded from your post that you did get it replaced.

Anyhow; the brake feel, feedback and stopping abaility has improved a lot. I would still like some more "bite" though. One of their senior service technicians was mumbling something about the R&D they conducted previously and found the piston size to be a tad smaller than it should be. He was quick to add that Bajaj does not want to listen to them.

I have a sneaky feeling that there was nothing wrong with the cylinder to begin with. Maybe it was just a poorly executed brake bleed by the Kirti Nagar center.

PS - Sold your 200? If yes; mind sharing how much you eventually let it go for?
The main issue is that they have used the same master cylinder and brake caliper with a 20mm larger disc. They should have upgraded the master cylinder at least.

The only way out is to get sintered pads and if possible a 320mm rotor which will cost atleast 300$...
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:03   #2245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
I like the way this front number plate is fixed in the middle, instead of forehead!

Great catch, even I love this set up and am interested in doing the same with my bike. Don't like the stock placement of number plate. Any idea about the mods involved?
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:23   #2246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post

Don't think so unless you are always going to be riding the bike on good roads.

The suspension travel of the Duke in front is 15 cm. The gap between the top of the mudguard curve and the number plate lower edge in the photo looks like its on that limit.

This is one place where it would most definitely be function over form. Unless you're ok with a cracked or sheared off front mudguard midway through a long ride/tour. One hard knock is all it would take.

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd April 2014 at 12:24.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:42   #2247
BHPian

Was wondering whether duke 390 owners here are using any security options other than disc locks? I don't want to tamper with the wiring, hence not interested in remote locking systems, and I don't feel disc locks as very assuring. The place where I live is prone to bike lifting, so any suggestions will be valuable.
Old 3rd April 2014, 21:26   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The main issue is that they have used the same master cylinder and brake caliper with a 20mm larger disc.
Why is that an issue?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd April 2014, 21:41   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
Was wondering whether duke 390 owners here are using any security options other than disc locks? I don't want to tamper with the wiring, hence not interested in remote locking systems, and I don't feel disc locks as very assuring. The place where I live is prone to bike lifting, so any suggestions will be valuable.
Picked this up for exactly the same reason.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/12v-Non-Intru...item35d434f499

Installation video of the installation and function of a similar kit.

Havent installed it yet. Will do so shortly. Has anyone else installed anything similar on the D200 or D390?

Last edited by The Pain : 3rd April 2014 at 21:52.
The Pain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 19:25   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Why is that an issue?

Regards
Sutripta
That is an issue because the brakes on the bike are not confidence inspiring, bigger master cylinder was needed on 390. Floating brake setup would have been any day better.

Classic 500 which has floating setup stops with 1 finger.

Most Viewed