Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 18:03   #2266
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Why - if it is just installing stuff like Phillips Extreme vision - it is fairly straight forward. There are plenty of tutorials in our own T-bHP
Hah! You can't even imagine how hopeless I am around tools and the general concept of DIY. Besides, Sandeep has already told me that there are some fiddly bits in the headlight assy which I am sure to obliterate.

I'm the guy for whom the "to be used under adult supervision" warning is printed.

Old 8th April 2014, 19:38   #2267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
KTM sell an OEM alarm system which you may want to take a look at. Be prepared to sell a kidney though.

The stock headlamps are indeed very poor. Am waiting for sandeepmohan to be available so we can DIY install better bulbs. I don't like the horn either but I don't use it much at all so I can live with it.

EDIT: Ravi at Kasturba Road Khivraj indeed is a good guy to speak to.
Just checked the KTM alarm system, its not available in India and also costs $279, so not feasible too. Any other alternatives?

Quote:
Why - if it is just installing stuff like Phillips Extreme vision - it is fairly straight forward. There are plenty of tutorials in our own T-bHP
Just wanted to know whether the powerful extreme vision bulbs would cause any heating issue and damage the socket? Also the website says that they are for cars, are they compatible with the d390? Holder/power requirements?

Quote:
Hah! You can't even imagine how hopeless I am around tools and the general concept of DIY. Besides, Sandeep has already told me that there are some fiddly bits in the headlight assy which I am sure to obliterate.

I'm the guy for whom the "to be used under adult supervision" warning is printed.

Same story here too
Old 8th April 2014, 19:51   #2268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hah! You can't even imagine how hopeless I am around tools and the general concept of DIY.

Bro - just start doing; it is no big deal. All you need is some allen keys, a screw driver & a new bulb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post

Just wanted to know whether the powerful extreme vision bulbs would cause any heating issue and damage the socket? Also the website says that they are for cars, are they compatible with the d390? Holder/power requirements?

Same story here too
It is a direct fit; there is probably a 20% increase in illumination; slightly wider (?) field of view. No heating issues (touch wood!)
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 20:21   #2269
BHPian

Quote:
It is a direct fit; there is probably a 20% increase in illumination; slightly wider (?) field of view. No heating issues (touch wood!)
You mean 20% increase than the stock bulb supplied by KTM or 20% more than its predecessor "philips extreme power"?
Old 9th April 2014, 09:42   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bro - just start doing; it is no big deal. All you need is some allen keys, a screw driver & a new bulb!
Very true. Even without a manual, with a litle bit of SQ (spatial quotient), enough time, a good stool, a good torch/work light, and tools, one can eventually figure anything out. How to take it off, and then, more importantly, how to get it back on. Don't be afraid to experiment or make mistakes. Its not a 3 Cr Bentley, and when up the creek without a paddle, limp to the nearest service outlet (looking correctly sheepish and apologetic .....).
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 10:04   #2271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean 20% increase than the stock bulb supplied by KTM or 20% more than its predecessor "philips extreme power"?
I meant about 20% increase over stock. There is a significant increase but not like installing a HID

Dont expect that you will be taking ISO 100 pics with the headlight on, is what I am saying.
Old 9th April 2014, 10:33   #2272
BHPian

Quote:
I meant about 20% increase over stock. There is a significant increase but not like installing a HID
If the increase is noticeable then I feel its worth giving it a try, the stock bulbs just don't do justice to the bike.

One quick question, will the output be comparable to the stock headlights of classic 350? Reason for asking this is that I find the headlights of classic 350 to be adequate.
Old 9th April 2014, 10:48   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, will the output be comparable to the stock headlights of classic 350? Reason for asking this is that I find the headlights of classic 350 to be adequate.
Doc is better qualified to answer that. I dont really have an opinion on that.
Old 9th April 2014, 11:11   #2274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the increase is noticeable then I feel its worth giving it a try, the stock bulbs just don't do justice to the bike.

One quick question, will the output be comparable to the stock headlights of classic 350? Reason for asking this is that I find the headlights of classic 350 to be adequate.
Answer: Not even if you fit LEDs or HIDs.

Very few headlights come close to the beam quality of the Bullet headlight. There is a lot to be said for glass and round sealed beams.
Old 9th April 2014, 12:29   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dont expect that you will be taking ISO 100 pics with the headlight on, is what I am saying.
what can't one spend 6k for much much better illumination, when one can afford a bike for 2+L? Especially when its related to safely.
I have tried xtreme on my C5, and it does not really make any stark difference over the stock, atleast on the c5.
I have been successfully using a pair for 10W LED lamps and they really make lots of difference. combine that LED while light with OEM yellow headlight, and u get very close to daylight colour, and i am sure we can take a 100 iso pic with a 50mm prime at 1.6 aperture

here the link to the product:
http://a2z-motorcycle-superstore.com...x#.U0TuuqJXTb0

Quote:

Very few headlights come close to the beam quality of the Bullet headlight. There is a lot to be said for glass and round sealed beams.
Doc, the philips Xtreme on my C5 (my battery is relatively new) is much less on illumination compared to the OEM halogen + the 2 LED lights on my 390. So now, i have a pair of the same LED lights on my C5 as well, and all is nice and bright.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0096.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-03.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 9th April 2014 at 12:35.
Old 9th April 2014, 15:23   #2276
BHPian

Completed 5 months and 2800 kms at start of this month. Did the second servicing as recommended (150 days or 5000 km) at Sai Service Paud Road.
Service advisor asked me if they should change all the filters, spark plug etc as mentioned in the service checklist since the bike has only done 2800 km. I asked him to change everything as suggested in cheklist.
I mentioned about a cyclic noise I use to get post cold start for about and km or 2. The SA said please check post service if the sound is there we will work on it. The noise has now gone.
However there is some other kind of whining noise that is audible after you release the accelerator and listen carefully while the bike is decelerating. Will go over on weekend and try to address this concern.
Old 9th April 2014, 18:15   #2277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Doc, the philips Xtreme on my C5 (my battery is relatively new) is much less on illumination compared to the OEM halogen + the 2 LED lights on my 390. So now, i have a pair of the same LED lights on my C5 as well, and all is nice and bright.
I meant using HIDs or LEDs in the stock headlight sealed beam housing of the Duke. Not as auxilliary running lights. As such also, in my personal experience, the lights you have (these are the ones Rajiv fom Mumbai sells right?) have decent spread and everything is bright and cosy close up and around. But the throw is not very good. And the beam wavers. And on a bike that can do 170+, you need lumens and throw. Big time.
Old 9th April 2014, 18:53   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

So, there is no solution to increase the throw of the headlights? I don't have much idea about bike lighting, so any info will be very valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
what can't one spend 6k for much much better illumination, when one can afford a bike for 2+L? Especially when its related to safely.
6k? Budget is not concern here, what is want is better illumination in a stock setup, without adding any external mounted lights. Any pointers?
Old 9th April 2014, 19:48   #2279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, there is no solution to increase the throw of the headlights? I don't have much idea about bike lighting, so any info will be very valuable

6k? Budget is not concern here, what is want is better illumination in a stock setup, without adding any external mounted lights. Any pointers?
For the beam quality, spread, throw, the reflector is the limiting factor.

Better brighter bulbs just increase the illumination within essentially the same beam (give or take a bit in terms of focal point of max lumens).
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 19:52   #2280
Senior - BHPian

A D390 id now doing rounds in my campus for the engineering department. This is quite unusual as I have seen D200 and D125 being used extensively prior to their launch. I wish I could speak to the concerned about this testing. The bike has hardly done 600k on the odo.

Most Viewed