Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 06:37   #2461
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Thanks for the input, man_of_steel. Very helpful answers indeed!

Throwing some more for you.

1. I'll be purchasing it at Mekhri Cirlce KTM. Will it be a problem for me to get it serviced in KTM Banashankari? I live it a BSK and the service station is a stone's throw away from my pad. I fear some sort of bias from BSK KTM people as I took the test ride there and made the booking at Mekhri Circle, due to it's reputation of being very customer friendly and having 'fresh' products.

2. Know any good sticker guy in BSK who can get the rim stickers done?

3. How do you advise me to ply during the run-in period? What should be the rpm for shift, highest rpm possible and highest top speed to click during this period?

4. Any advise as to how to prevent thigh kebabs at the end of every city ride? Anything with the shifting or coolant?

For sure, I'll share my ownership experiences once I get my hands on that beast.
Old 6th June 2014, 10:25   #2462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
3. How do you advise me to ply during the run-in period? What should be the rpm for shift, highest rpm possible and highest top speed to click during this period?
Welcome to TBHP and congrats on getting the 390. I recommend you stick to the 7,000 RPM limit as prescribed by KTM. The limit is high enough for you to not find the bike under-powered in the city (and to some extent, on the highway). Make sure to not ride for long periods at the same RPM, keep modulating it.
Old 6th June 2014, 10:36   #2463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
.. I feel it's very hard to press on the front forks, but sets in well when riding, is it how's it's supposed to be or is something off tangent here. To an extent they are really hard I have to pull back on the bars to get them back to position after I compress, they don't just like that give good rebound.
Thats normal. The suspension is hard if you try to press it. And the suspension will sag/settle a little when you take the bike off the side stand. That is why you feel like you have to pull back the suspension to its normal position. However, all these doesn't matter a bit when you are riding!

Quote:
1. I'll be purchasing it at Mekhri Cirlce KTM. Will it be a problem for me to get it serviced in KTM Banashankari? I live it a BSK and the service station is a stone's throw away from my pad. I fear some sort of bias from BSK KTM people as I took the test ride there and made the booking at Mekhri Circle, due to it's reputation of being very customer friendly and having 'fresh' products.
No problemo! I took the delivery from Marathahalli KTM and is giving for service at Mekhri Circle. Just take the service book with you.

Quote:
2. Know any good sticker guy in BSK who can get the rim stickers done?
No idea. Even I am looking for one who can do it 'properly' and not like a 'polygon' around the alloy! Let me know if you find one.

Quote:
Aah.. Just start riding. Just avoid sudden full wring of the right wrist and accelerate gradually. The manual suggest that you stick to 7.5k RPM till the first 1000 Kms and FYI this thing will touch 130kmph @6th gear @ 7.5 RPM! But IMHO it will be better to introduce the engine to higher RPMs by gradual acceleration occasionally during the run-in. Also as Bluu suggested, never ride in a constant RPM. Keep varying it.

Quote:
4. Any advise as to how to prevent thigh kebabs at the end of every city ride? Anything with the shifting or coolant?
Yes. Get used to it! Seriously, I don't think there are any workarounds for that. Except wearing thick denims and completely avoiding any kinds of track suites. You may switch the coolant to Engine-Ice after a while. It will lower the engine temp by 1 bar or so. But I guess the tandoor legs will hardly find any difference.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 6th June 2014 at 10:38.
Old 7th June 2014, 06:55   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Let me know if you find one.
For Sure!

Quote:
FYI this thing will touch 130kmph @6th gear @ 7.5 RPM!
WHOA!

I ordered my knee pads/elbow pads and a metal badge of the club I love so that I can stick it up on the rear mudguard or near the number plate.

By the way, are the HSRP IND Number Plates mandatory in Karnataka? Will the showroom guys give it themselves along with my registration number?
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 09:58   #2465
Senior - BHPian

I got the front sprocket replaced from ASC last weekend. I was under the impression that only the mounting plate would be changed. But they replaced the full front sprocket.

An update on the rattling issue. The annoying rattling from the tank area @4-6k RPM was back in the past couple of weeks. The rattling used to stop when I held the reservoir end. I was thinking that the reservoir was rattling against the tank area. But the SVC manager suggested that it was the fuel lid's keyhole cap that is rattling. Although I didnt buy that suggestion, I was surprised to see that the rattling has vanished and all the mechanic did was to spray WD40 to the keyhole and the keyhole lid hinges!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 9th June 2014 at 10:00.
Old 9th June 2014, 10:50   #2466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the front sprocket replaced from ASC last weekend. I was under the impression that only the mounting plate would be changed. But they replaced the full front sprocket.

An update on the rattling issue. The annoying rattling from the tank area @4-6k RPM was back in the past couple of weeks. The rattling used to stop when I held the reservoir end. I was thinking that the reservoir was rattling against the tank area. But the SVC manager suggested that it was the fuel lid's keyhole cap that is rattling. Although I didnt buy that suggestion, I was surprised to see that the rattling has vanished and all the mechanic did was to spray WD40 to the keyhole and the keyhole lid hinges!
I had reported this (and the solution) a few hundred years ago (!) somewhere in my Baby Duke 222 thread. Your SVC Manager is right. It is harmonics at certain rpm on deceleration where this trrrrrrrrrrrr happens.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:04   #2467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I had reported this (and the solution) a few hundred years ago (!) somewhere in my Baby Duke 222 thread. Your SVC Manager is right. It is harmonics at certain rpm on deceleration where this trrrrrrrrrrrr happens.
Damn! Missed it in the Baby Duke thread Doc! I almost started to live on with that minor irritant!
Old 9th June 2014, 11:24   #2468
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Even i got the front sprocket and lock replaced the day before. the old one had also rusted a bit in the center. Also got the chain serviced for 110rs (cleaning/lubing). Did feel the difference in terms of smoothness, but i guess it was the chain service and not the sprocket.
The bike had become very rough for the last couple of months. after the sprocket replacement, went home and re-adjusted the chain, as i felt it was a bit loose and making more then usual khat-khat.
Here, i want to ask something regarding the chain adjustment. The Manual says the the play should be 5-7mm WHEN THE BIKE IS ON SIDE STAND. While maintaining that, when the bike is straightened, the play reduces. when the rider sits on the bike, chain further gets taught with almost no play. Is this the right way? Is there any simpler thumb rule for adjustment? Like after adjustment, when we push the chain upwards, it should be just about shy of touching the swing arm/ or should just lightly touch the swing arm??

I also fiddled with clutch adjustment. Prior to adjustment, when shifting to first gear, i could almost hear two sounds, like in bullets. I referred to the Manuel and made minor adjustments at the lever and also the other end where the cable enters the gear box. Now there is almost no play. but the ride feels better, and gear shift feel & sound is more precise. Feels better then before, BUT i am just worried if i have over tightened the clutch?? Dont want the plates to start slipping. Is there any way to confirm that?

Bike had also developed a lot of rattles. tried attending to that. The left horn clamp had become loose. both the switch assemblies close to the grip on the handle bar had slightly become loose. tightened all that. also, the plastic panels under the seat sides, engine covers, and other nuts and bolts were tightened. Adjusted the rear brake pedal to further lower is position. tightened the fuel lid cover. and you are right, tightening/ lubing the lid hepls cut vibes. also the fuel tank lock cylinder vibrates in its housing adding to the rattle. Been thinking of cutting a thin OHP sheet and inserting around the cylinder. am sure it may help.

while doing all this, saw 2 nail heads embedded in the rear tyre. went to a local puncture shop and he removed the first nail which had gone in but did not fully penetrate the tyre. the man punctured the tyre anyways and plugged it. The other nail was a tiny one with only superficial penetration.

Applied WD 40 at the ignition switch, into the switches, etc. and voila, this morning the bike felt much much better to ride.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 9th June 2014 at 11:31.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:26   #2469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Damn! Missed it in the Baby Duke thread Doc! I almost started to live on with that minor irritant!
If you flip the key flap open, the sound disappears. That's how I originally discovered that that's where the sound was coming from. I had gone quite batty before then riding round and round in concentric circles on the roads in my neighborhood one by one putting my hand on various parts (almost like a doctor palpating a patient!) to see where the sound disappeared from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Here, i want to ask something regarding the chain adjustment. The manuel says the the play should be 5-7mm WHEN THE BIKE IS ON SIDE STAND. While maintaining that, when the bike is straightened, the play reduces. when the rider sits on the bike, with compression, chain gets taught without almost no play. Is this the right way? Is there any simpler thumb rule for adjustment? Like after adjustment, when we push the chain upwards, it should be just about shy of touching the swing arm/ or should just lightly touch the swing arm??
Also exhaustively covered somewhere in my Baby Duke 222 thread bro. Adjust the chain exactly as you would for a Bullet, and you (and your chain) will be happy. i.e. when you sit on the bike and bend down and with your finger try lifting the bottom part of the chain in the center, there should be just a little bit of give. For me I do this by feel. I don't need to measure the vertical play with a ruler, but if you were to ask me an approximation, I'd say about 5-7 mm of play with you sitting ON the bike. If you do it like the manual, you will get hard grinding sounds (especially if a pillion sits behind you) and you will eat away your chain and rear sprocket. Please also remember to re-adjust your chain every time you change the pre-load settings on your rear monshock.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th June 2014 at 11:40.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 13:07   #2470
BHPian

Quote:

For sure, I'll share my ownership experiences once I get my hands on that beast.
KTM BSK has been servicing my bike, they have been good at their job and they take care of my bike very well

Last edited by raj.barcode : 9th June 2014 at 13:10.
Old 9th June 2014, 15:07   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Some pics after the mounting the tires on the Duke. Final damage is 5200INR after fitment.
I see that you have a K&N label. Have you replaced the stock filter with K&N ? If so, is there any difference in performance ? What is the cost and where did you buy it in bengaluru ?
Old 9th June 2014, 15:54   #2472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
....Adjusted the rear brake pedal to further lower is position....
I wanted to lower the brake pedal's position as well and during the 2nd free service insisted on having this done. But I was told that only the gear-level can be adjusted for position and that there is no adjustment whatsoever possible for the rear brake pedal.

Could you please share details on how you did this?
I am looking to angle in such a way that the pedal sits a little lower.

Quote:
I took delivery of The Duchess from KTM Mekhri circle as well. However, the first free service was a bit shoddy and hence I switched to Kasturba road for my second service. The service manager there - Ravi, is quite competent.

Regards,

Sundar

Last edited by MavericK46 : 9th June 2014 at 15:58. Reason: Added informacion...
Old 9th June 2014, 16:00   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
I wanted to lower the brake pedal's position as well and during the 2nd free service insisted on having this done. But I was told that only the gear-level can be adjusted for position and that there is no adjustment whatsoever possible for the rear brake pedal.

Could you please share details on how you did this?
I am looking to angle in such a way that the pedal sits a little lower.

Regards,

Sundar
Pathetic misinformation. There is a small nut (allen bolt?) with a check nut just below the pivot point of the brake lever. This adjusts the position. But be careful. Do it just a bit. Otherwise there wil be hardly any free play in the pedal. Plus you do not need so much. Just enough to comfortably nove your foot over it without bending it. Please remember to tighhten the check nut when you're done ......

Last edited by ebonho : 9th June 2014 at 16:17.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 18:26   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Pathetic misinformation. There is a small nut (allen bolt?) with a check nut just below the pivot point of the brake lever. This adjusts the position. But be careful. Do it just a bit. Otherwise there wil be hardly any free play in the pedal. Plus you do not need so much. Just enough to comfortably nove your foot over it without bending it. Please remember to tighhten the check nut when you're done ......
Well you're the Doc, Doc
The service centre mechanics are but human
Will definitely take a crack at this adjustment asap !

In matters of lesser consequence, the mudflap attachment has fallen off and I ended up noticing it today. Had dropped of the The Duchess for the third and final free service and as luck would have it, there was no flap in stock to get a replacement fitted.

Regards,

Sundar
Old 9th June 2014, 18:49   #2475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
and as luck would have it, there was no flap in stock to get a replacement fitted.
Blessing in disguise?

Is there anything possibly uglier than that jugaad?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks